Total: 38
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Christians are paranoid psychos
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
Purchasing ad space for Christianity on an event like the superbowl seems ineffective to me. Almost everyone in the US is aware of Christianity, it's like advertising for a household name like Oreos, no one new is going to try out Christianity because of the ad.
YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@ludofl3x
Because it struck me as odd, I've never seen a commercial for the biggest religion on earth (a claim many Christians make). It's like making a commercial for the moon. I guess I'm alone in thinking that there are more Jesus-y ways to spend 7M dollars, and that it doesn't seem likely to me at all that there's any return on investment here for Jesus. I don't think there's a large population of near-Christians who are watching the superbowl and this ad puts them over the top. How many could there be? 500? 1000? 
So you're admitting the legitimacy of Christianity, by comparing it to the moon?

Will the ad be for the right version of Christianity, do you think? how will you know? How can I know?

So, how do I know your interpretation of the Matthew verse is correct, and not what so many experts have said (that it means you can't get in on faith and faith alone, that you need to have acts too)? Seems a pretty big bet, given the stakes, no?
There aren't any different versions, just different denominations. 
What don't you understand about this?

ludofl3x
Debates: 0
ludofl3x
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
So you're admitting the legitimacy of Christianity, by comparing it to the moon?
Mmmm, close...I'm saying the moon and Christianity share similar levels of global exposure, and do not seem to need additional "awareness" to the tune of 7M dollars. 

There aren't any different versions, just different denominations. 
What don't you understand about this?
Well, I don't understand your interpretation of the verse, considering I've always heard it used when trying to inspire Christians to actually DO stuff and not just claim to be Christians. You need faith AND WORKS, according to the many interpretations of this verse I've heard. Yours is the one that's different, I'm wondering why, and why anyone should share your understanding, I'm waiting for you to help explain it. 

Also I don't understand why there are denominations. 
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@K_Michael
This site puts Islam at 1.9 billion and Catholicism at 1.3
You're correct. Christianity is the largest, and Catholicism is the largest among Christian denominations. My mistake.

YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@ludofl3x
Mmmm, close...I'm saying the moon and Christianity share similar levels of global exposure, and do not seem to need additional "awareness" to the tune of 7M dollars. 
We could compare the two though.

We both agree that Christianity, and the Moon exist. You may not believe in Christianity, but it still exists, just like every other belief.

So would you also be confused, if someone made an advertisement for colonizing the moon?
Because you are confused about an advertisement, advertising Christianity, not just believing it exists, but getting into it.

Well, I don't understand your interpretation of the verse, considering I've always heard it used when trying to inspire Christians to actually DO stuff and not just claim to be Christians. You need faith AND WORKS, according to the many interpretations of this verse I've heard. Yours is the one that's different, I'm wondering why, and why anyone should share your understanding, I'm waiting for you to help explain it. 

Also I don't understand why there are denominations. 
Here's how I see it:

Some Christians have the false belief that you can do whatever you want to in your life, then at the end of your life, give your life and apologise to God, then you will be with him. The problem with this is that, there plan is to try to trick God. God can't be tricked. When you die, God is going to look at the position of your heart, not what you did in life. 
Now sometimes, what you do in life, can help structure the position of your heart. That is why we as Christians strive to do good things, and be good people. Not because we have to in order to get to heaven, but because it helps position our hearts in the right way, and in turn, makes us good people. 
So Christians are not good people because we have to be, but because we want to be. True Christians won't become Christians just because of the fear of hell, but because they truly love God. They worship him, not because they have to, but because they truly love him. He has done so much for us, why wouldn't we want to do more for him. He does so much for us, then we sin, and even in doing that, he still gives us a way out. 

Nothing is a requirement for heaven. Take Native Americans for example. Do you really think that all those native americans went to hell, just because for 100s of years they knew nothing about Jesus, or the story of God. No. All you need to enter the kingdom of heaven, is to realize that one God created all the universe, and to love him. That's all you need. Christians and the Bible, is simply just history and a "cheat sheet" on how to understand God more, and live a better life. That is why nothing is required of you to get to heaven. 

Now for denominations, I don't understand why we need them either. I understand why we have them, because some Christians have doctrines that don't "completely" line up with others, but it's more of "I understand God in a different way than you, so we have to split apart."
I disagree with having different denominations. We all believe the one truth and isn't that enough to get along. Apparently not, because even Christians sin, and are prideful.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
I managed to catch one of these ads last night. You can tell that they're targeting the marginalized they were trying to focus on people who felt alone or mentally ill.
The church is really restricted these populations from the ranks for so long they're not going to win them over with a couple of commercials.
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
The church is really restricted these populations from the ranks for so long they're not going to win them over with a couple of commercials.
Targeting those types of people is nothing new. Missionaries LOVE talking to people who have experienced recent losses in their family or friends. These are the same people who are most vulnerable to cults and conspiracy theories.