Vegetarian food - What does a vegetarian eat and how to meassure weight of food properly

Author: Best.Korea

Total: 12
Best.Korea
Debates: 268
Best.Korea
We will talk about "what does a vegetarian eat" and "how to weight food properly".

The food that vegetarian eats is usually: plants, eggs, milk products, chocolate, honey and sometimes insects.

Vegetarians eat plant food.

Plant food consists of vegetables, fruit, berries, nuts, seeds and grains.

Vegetables such as "broccoli, peas, beans, beetroots, potatoes, carrots, pumpkins and cauliflower" are eaten due to being high in calories and nutrients.

Fruit such as "bananas, plums, tomatoes, and peaches" are eaten due to being easy to chew and high in nutrients.

Berries such as "strawberries and raspberries" are eaten due to great taste.

Nuts such as "hazelnuts and peanuts" are eaten in moderation, for high caloric value and partially for protein.

Seeds such as "sunflower seeds" are high in protein, but also in calories. They are eaten in moderation, since they can cause a person to gain weight.

Grains such as "wheat" are usually eaten in form of bread. That being said, rice is often present too.

Vegetarians eat eggs and consume milk products.
Eggs are a source of b12 vitamin. So is milk. Some choose just eggs or just milk products. Some choose both eggs and milk products.

Vegetarians eat chocolate and honey.
Chocolate is the food that many vegetarians eat. Honey is somewhat less common. The taste of chocolate could partially make up for the lack of meat. It reminds us that vegetarian isnt just "eating leaves and greens", but has some joy found in variety of vegetarian foods.

Vegetarians sometimes eat insects.
Insects are a source of b12 vitamin. Certain insects, like "edible spiders and grasshoppers", are rather common in nature and provide a good source of nutrients. While eating insects is looked down upon in many places, in some countries you can buy them and eat them.

Weighting food properly: "Metric cup weight" vs "calorie per 100 grams"
People often ask "How much calories in 100 grams of spinach?". What they should be asking is "how much calories are there in a cup of spinach?".
Metric cup is there to meassure volume/size of food, or how much space does food take. For example, one cup of broccoli provides much more calories than one cup of spinach, despite being same size. So eating one cup of spinach is the same in volume as eating one cup of broccoli, however the difference in calories between the two cups is large. Certain foods have more calories while occupying same amount of space. Those are good for weight gain. For weight loss, you want foods that have least amount of calories per cup.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
Yes, vegetarians sit around and chomp on crickets and ants.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
Not ants. Ants have no nutritional value due to being too tiny. Crickets are much better.
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
When I was a vegan I used to eat a lot of taco bell. Usually 2 bean burritos fresca style. Another thing I ate a lot was tortillo chips and hummus. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Best.Korea
Peanuts aren't Nuts,

They're Peas.

Just saying.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@zedvictor4
I didnt know that.

They are tasty, and the word "nuts" led me in the wrong direction.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Best.Korea
Yep, I eat loads of peanuts.

TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
I try to be vegan.  My breakfast is a bagel with hummus usually.  My lunch is a PB and J or 2 beyond Burgers.  My dinner is Lentil soup.  I also have other food items, but that’s the main stuff.  I don’t like killing innocent beings for food.  And I also don’t like how this president is causing my stocks to be low, but I have hope that Biden is going to get the stock market to do better.  I just need to be pacient.
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@Best.Korea
That's what food eats.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@TheUnderdog
Innocent is a thought derived concept. Which realistically is the extent of it's significance.

The only creatures that are or are not innocent are the ones we decide are or are not innocent.

So the Leopard brutally  kills the baby Gazelle. Which one is or isn't innocent in your mind?

K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@zedvictor4
@Best.Korea
Peanuts aren't Nuts,

They're Peas.
Technically they're legumes, which also includes peas, but peanuts are actually likely more closely related to lupines and beans, since peas are an Old World plants and peanuts and the others are from the Americas.

As for the original post categorizing them as nuts, beans and other legumes (lentils, chickpeas, etc.) serve a similar nutritional purpose and generally have higher protein than tree nuts, so I honestly wouldn't worry about getting a specific nut intake at all.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@K_Michael
I agree.