LeBron James Breaks Kareem Abdul-Jabar's Scoring Record

Author: Athias

Total: 8
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
So on Tuesday/Wednesday (depending on which coast you live) LeBron James reached a milestone in his career: He broke Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's 38 year record of 38,387 cumulative points scored in an NBA career. In a span of 20 years, LeBron has amassed championships, all-star appearances, regular season MVPs and Finals MVPs. And now he adds the all-time scoring to what has already been an illustrious career. Congratulations LeBron James, you're almost the greatest of all time.

Thoughts?
Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
-->
@Athias
Congratulations LeBron James, you're almost the greatest of all time. 
Accurate. I think there is reason to put Jordan, Bryant, and Abdul-Jabbar ahead of James.

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Athias
Yes. I have him as #2 on my all time ranking. No matter what, LeBron is 40% in NBA finals.
Vader
Vader
I have him over Kobe because it can be argued that for the first 3 championships, Shaq was the main guy in LA and Kobe #2. LeBron was clear #1 for all his appearances, so I say that he is better than Kobe in that regard + longevity. Kobe was washed in his last season while LeBron is still averaging ridiculous numbers
Vader
Vader
Jordan is still #1. To never lose a final, be the main undisputed #1 guy, better statistical averages in the playoffs, and facing defense that were 100% tougher with less restrictions and where defense thrived, and the average player was a good-->great defender in today's game
Athias
Athias
-->
@Mharman
Accurate. I think there is reason to put Jordan, Bryant, and Abdul-Jabbar ahead of James.
I wouldn't put Kobe ahead of him. It's my opinion that LeBron James is the better all-time player. His numbers are better than Kobe, and he was more efficient than Kobe. Kobe also on a few occasions cost his team a playoff series. Now you can ask: well, what about LeBron in the 2011 Finals? Yeah, he melted down, but nothing indicated that was intentional. Kobe intentionally sabotaged his team's efforts in the 2004 Finals against the Detroit Pistons, and the 2006 Playoff series against the Suns.
Athias
Athias
-->
@Vader
Yes. I have him as #2 on my all time ranking. No matter what, LeBron is 40% in NBA finals.
I wouldn't put him that high. I think LeBron's being #2 is mostly narrative driven. It often elides the accomplishments of other all-time greats like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bill Russel, Magic Johnson, etc.

Jordan is still #1. To never lose a final, be the main undisputed #1 guy, better statistical averages in the playoffs, and facing defense that were 100% tougher with less restrictions and where defense thrived, and the average player was a good-->great defender in today's game
I place Jordan as #1 because he lived up to the hype. He was one of the few players to win a regular season MVP, and a defensive player of the year award in the same year (I think Hakeem Olajuwon and Giannis Antetokounmpo are the only other players to do it.) As you stated, Jordan has never lost in the finals, and was able to excel in a championship system. I've watched Michael Jordan, Kareem, Magic, Duncan, Shaq, Steph, LeBron, Byrd, Olajuwon, etc. play, and Jordan was it. In all honesty, I don't think I'll witness anytime soon a player supplanting Jordan as #1. 
Tarik
Debates: 1
Tarik
-->
@Athias
It often elides the accomplishments of other all-time greats like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bill Russel, Magic Johnson, etc.
LeBron accomplished more than Magic.