"Gender affirming care" counselor blows the whistle

Author: thett3

Total: 6
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
I recently came across this article from an individual who spent almost five years working at a pediatric transgender center. The author who identifies as "left of Bernie Sanders" is also married to a transgendered man, so she is a biased source in favor of this form of "care." I distinctly remember at least three times on this website I've argued someone into a corner about how barbaric and damaging these practices are, only for them to eventually retreat to "well we need to trust the experts" and ignoring everything I've had to say. Unfortunately, experts can be just as ideologically blinded as the rest of us and it's often the case that someone who chooses to focus their career in certain fields may be more ideological than most. This article is interesting because it provides a first hand account of what minors have to do to get on "gender affirming" drugs, and what those drugs actually do. Needless to say, it's beyond obvious that offering these "treatments" to mentally ill minors doesn't have a defensible basis. Some choice quotes below:

On the explosion of "transgender" identification among mentally ill teenaged girls:

"Until 2015 or so, a very small number of these boys comprised the population of pediatric gender dysphoria cases. Then, across the Western world, there began to be a dramatic increase in a new population: Teenage girls, many with no previous history of gender distress, suddenly declared they were transgender and demanded immediate treatment with testosterone. 

I certainly saw this at the center. One of my jobs was to do intake for new patients and their families. When I started there were probably 10 such calls a month. When I left there were 50, and about 70 percent of the new patients were girls. Sometimes clusters of girls arrived from the same high school. 

This concerned me, but didn’t feel I was in the position to sound some kind of alarm back then. There was a team of about eight of us, and only one other person brought up the kinds of questions I had. Anyone who raised doubts ran the risk of being called a transphobe. 

The girls who came to us had many comorbidities: depression, anxiety, ADHD, eating disorders, obesity. Many were diagnosed with autism, or had autism-like symptoms. A report last year on a British pediatric transgender center found that about one-third of the patients referred there were on the autism spectrum. Frequently, our patients declared they had disorders that no one believed they had. We had patients who said they had Tourette syndrome (but they didn’t); that they had tic disorders (but they didn’t); that they had multiple personalities (but they didn’t). 

The doctors privately recognized these false self-diagnoses as a manifestation of social contagion. They even acknowledged that suicide has an element of social contagion. But when I said the clusters of girls streaming into our service looked as if their gender issues might be a manifestation of social contagion, the doctors said gender identity reflected something innate."

On how minors qualified for access to untested treatments with lifelong consequences: 

"To begin transitioning, the girls needed a letter of support from a therapist—usually one we recommended—who they had to see only once or twice for the green light. To make it more efficient for the therapists, we offered them a template for how to write a letter in support of transition. The next stop was a single visit to the endocrinologist for a testosterone prescription. 

That’s all it took. "

Examples of the side effects:

"When a female takes testosterone, the profound and permanent effects of the hormone can be seen in a matter of months. Voices drop, beards sprout, body fat is redistributed. Sexual interest explodes, aggression increases, and mood can be unpredictable. Our patients were told about some side effects, including sterility. But after working at the center, I came to believe that teenagers are simply not capable of fully grasping what it means to make the decision to become infertile while still a minor."

"We found out later this girl had had intercourse, and because testosterone thins the vaginal tissues, her vaginal canal had ripped open. She had to be sedated and given surgery to repair the damage. She wasn’t the only vaginal laceration case we heard about.

Other girls were disturbed by the effects of testosterone on their clitoris, which enlarges and grows into what looks like a microphallus, or a tiny penis. I counseled one patient whose enlarged clitoris now extended below her vulva, and it chafed and rubbed painfully in her jeans. I advised her to get the kind of compression undergarments worn by biological men who dress to pass as female. At the end of the call I thought to myself, “Wow, we hurt this kid.” 

There are rare conditions in which babies are born with atypical genitalia—cases that call for sophisticated care and compassion. But clinics like the one where I worked are creating a whole cohort of kids with atypical genitals—and most of these teens haven’t even had sex yet. They had no idea who they were going to be as adults. Yet all it took for them to permanently transform themselves was one or two short conversations with a therapist."

"Doctors" using these life altering drugs with poorly studied long term side effects as a catch-all treatment:

"That same thought came up again with another case. This one was in spring of 2022 and concerned a young man who had intense obsessive-compulsive disorder that manifested as a desire to cut off his penis after he masturbated. This patient expressed no gender dysphoria, but he got hormones, too. I asked the doctor what protocol he was following, but I never got a straight answer. "

In 20 years when this stuff is viewed the same way as we view lobotomies, nobody is going to admit they were in favor of it. What an abject failure and betrayal by the very people who take an oath to do no harm. It is beyond any reasonable doubt that an unknown, but likely six figure, number of children have fallen into this trap. Their mental illness manifests in dislike of their changing bodies, so under the flimsiest of justification they've been prescribed cancer drugs, chemical castration drugs, or given permanent surgeries. Their minds and bodies are permanently altered chasing an impossible to reach goal, one that the so called experts lied to them about.  

FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@thett3

OMG, do you think Poly was on testosterone?
Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
-->
@thett3
The girls who came to us had many comorbidities: depression, anxiety, ADHD, eating disorders, obesity. Many were diagnosed with autism, or had autism-like symptoms. A report last year on a British pediatric transgender center found that about one-third of the patients referred there were on the autism spectrum. Frequently, our patients declared they had disorders that no one believed they had. We had patients who said they had Tourette syndrome (but they didn’t); that they had tic disorders (but they didn’t); that they had multiple personalities (but they didn’t)

The doctors privately recognized these false self-diagnoses as a manifestation of social contagion. They even acknowledged that suicide has an element of social contagion. But when I said the clusters of girls streaming into our service looked as if their gender issues might be a manifestation of social contagion, the doctors said gender identity reflected something innate
I’ve never understood how people can genuinely argue transgenderism isn’t a mental disorder when they see stuff like this.

It’s of no surprise that the transgenderism has spread as a social contagion. You take individuals with pre-existing mental disorders, combine them with adolescent immaturity, and progressive ideology that tells us identity is everything, and you get this.

Have you heard of BIID?

To begin transitioning, the girls needed a letter of support from a therapist—usually one we recommended—who they had to see only once or twice for the green light. To make it more efficient for the therapists, we offered them a template for how to write a letter in support of transition. The next stop was a single visit to the endocrinologist for a testosterone 
I’m not sure there are even words to describe how fucked up that is.

If the words of the author are to be taken at face value, then this a blatant quid pro quo between the therapists and the transgender center. It shows they are completely willing to scratch each others’ backs and exploit mentally ill individuals, who happen to be minors no less, for profit.

We found out later this girl had had intercourse, and because testosterone thins the vaginal tissues, her vaginal canal had ripped open. She had to be sedated and given surgery to repair the damage. She wasn’t the only vaginal laceration case we heard about.

Other girls were disturbed by the effects of testosterone on their clitoris, which enlarges and grows into what looks like a microphallus, or a tiny penis. I counseled one patient whose enlarged clitoris now extended below her vulva, and it chafed and rubbed painfully in her jeans. I advised her to get the kind of compression undergarments worn by biological men who dress to pass as female. At the end of the call I thought to myself, “Wow, we hurt this kid.”
Holy fucking shit. This, I am actually speechless about.

"That same thought came up again with another case. This one was in spring of 2022 and concerned a young man who had intense obsessive-compulsive disorder that manifested as a desire to cut off his penis after he masturbated. This patient expressed no gender dysphoria, but he got hormones, too. I asked the doctor what protocol he was following, but I never got a straight answer. "
The fact that these doctors can still do this as a profession and NOT be afraid of being tossed in a cell to rot away for the rest of their lives is astounding. Why the FUCK is any of this shit legal? And how the FUCK did this shit receive government funding? The author said the center belonged to the University of Washington, so who the FUCK approved this?!

Unfortunately, experts can be just as ideologically blinded as the rest of us
I’m going back to this because it resonated with me. Well said. This sentence alone could become a whole essay easily.

Thanks for posting this. I could tell where was a lot of thought behind it. The linked article was eye-opening to me, despite me being someone who has always opposed transgenderism. I knew it was bad, but this bad? Wow.
Best.Korea
Debates: 274
Best.Korea
I think it is expected. The medications usually have side effects. Some more, some less.
RationalMadman
Debates: 568
RationalMadman
-->
@thett3
There is nothing natural about it, that much is for sure.

Maybe some are happier, I reckon most aren't. You don't get happier in life by running entirely from who you are. That's all I'm gonna say.

I get it, if you're a very sissy-like man or macho-like woman. It sounds nice, it's enticing, an escape from the hell... Except they accept you for representing the other sex, not just gender. That's why you need the hormones to pull it off and all that shit.

I have nothing against them, I get their struggle, they feel they need a specific endgame. Some need the full transition, others go the queer route. I reckon and have seen myself that those that go the queer route (no hormones, they/them types or he/she but other without hormones) are the ones who end up happier of the two paths.
cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
-->
@thett3
Last year, the U.K. closed down the one clinic dedicated to gender affirming care, called the Tavistock Centre, because of various issues, chiefly it resorting to gender transitioning over other treatment options: