The Flat Earth

Author: Skipper_Sr

Total: 31
Skipper_Sr
Debates: 10
Skipper_Sr
The idea for creating this forum came from reading a post from RM stating he is a flat-earther. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/8762/post-links/367653
This forum has been created so he can share his thoughts and others can also give their piece on the subject. I find "Flat-Earth" views to be interesting and worth learning more about.

Conditions for Posting: No trolling--it's boring
Sir.Lancelot
Debates: 182
Sir.Lancelot
There’s observable scientific evidence that the Earth is flat. 
Skipper_Sr
Skipper_Sr
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
There’s observable scientific evidence that the Earth is flat. 
Where can I find this evidence?
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
It's a total rejection of science in favor of conspiracy theory by people who are really just trying to say "look at me, I'm special".
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Skipper_Sr

The Earth might just as well be spherical as flat.

It's a fun discussion every now and then though.

Skipper_Sr
Skipper_Sr
-->
@zedvictor4
The Earth might just as well be spherical as flat.
Because we see it as flat from the ground view? What are you meaning?
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
this is just a bullshit callout thread where you pretend to care, if you really cared you'd ask me in private instead of this bullcrap.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Skipper_Sr
What I'm "meaning" is.

What would be the point of saying that the Earth is spherical, if it was actually flat.

It's would be a pointless conspiracy theory for the sake of it.

The same as saying that the Earth is flat when it is actually spherical.
Skipper_Sr
Skipper_Sr
-->
@RationalMadman
I specified no trolling, but that is not enough for you. I did not see the PMs as an option because you tend to be more silent, so I would not expect an answer. If you are worried I was playing a joke, I was genuinely interested in hearing what you thought and opposing views--one of the core uses of a forum
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Skipper_Sr
Everyone who posted so far has trolled, you may not be that good at picking up sardonic tone to know.
Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@zedvictor4
What I'm "meaning" is.

What would be the point of saying that the Earth is spherical, if it was actually flat.

It's would be a pointless conspiracy theory for the sake of it.

The same as saying that the Earth is flat when it is actually spherical.
Very good point actually.  These guys postulate a vast, really vast, conspiracy theory, millions and millions of people are involved in maintaining this deception for no , reason and with nothing to gain.  Why?  What exactly is the point?  

If there is no reason for the vast conspiracy, then I think you have to look to the Flat Earther for the reason.  Why?  What's the point?  There must be some psychological benefit, something to gain by being a Flat Earther.   you certainly don't arrive at this conclusion logically, it isn't science,  it's an almost total rejection of reason and science, so there must be some kind of psychological need it serves.   I really do wonder what that is?

Skipper_Sr
Skipper_Sr
This forum is going down
Skipper_Sr
Skipper_Sr
Uhhh... looks like I can't delete it
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Sidewalker
Undoubtedly.

sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
-->
@zedvictor4
The earth has always appeared flat to me even flying at 35,000 feet in the air. I personally can not prove the earth is a sphere without quoting or using someone else's words, science or methods. That is not to say I think the earth is flat. 
Elliott
Elliott
The main problem with the Flat Earth model as I have seen isthe Sun. It is portrayed as moving over the flat disk in a way that it would alwaysremain visible. Not only that but as it moves away from one part of the disk itshould appear to grow smaller, which it doesn’t.
YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
Why was my post removed?
Sidewalker
Sidewalker
The very nature of Flat Earth is such that there is nothing you can say about it that doesn't sound sardonic.  It's very difficult to talk about something so ridiculous without it appearing to be ridicule.  

Flat Earthers know that of course, so it makes you wonder if that is the appeal, maybe what they want out of it is victimhood. 

RM sees every single post on this thread as something that was done to him, every single one, I'll bet he's never seen a single person discuss Flat Earth without discerning that sardonic tone.  We've all known people with victim presonalities, they define relationships in such a way that victim is the role they play. You find what you look for, and maybe that's what Flat Earthers are looking for, the role of victim.  

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
For sure.

But the Earth is either a flat disc or a spheroid.

At least with the spheroid one doesn't have to worry about the edge or underneath.

Though the thickness of the flat Earth would need to be reasonably substantial. whereby it should perhaps be more accurately described as a cylinder.

Which leads me to conclude that structural integrity is reliant upon a spherical format.

26 days later

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Skipper_Sr
This forum is going down
A member since December 12, 2022
It must have ben since you joined then. You have only been here less than ten weeks....haven't you?

Skipper_Sr
Skipper_Sr
-->
@Stephen
Tomorrow will mark my full fourteenth week
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Skipper_Sr
Nice. How is your High School trip for the Seniors going?
Skipper_Sr
Skipper_Sr
-->
@Stephen
The bus vrooms

I hear hip-hop tunes

I hope to not come back home soon

I'll go far away

Late 

Into the night
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Skipper_Sr
Nice Skipperku.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Skipper_Sr
Skipperku.

A verse of variable length and composition.

Conveying a state of awareness.

AKA Zedku.

15 days later

Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@Skipper_Sr
I find flat earth interesting, as a collection of beliefs that allows the independent minded to understand how the human brain can be completely co-opted and convinced to believe absolute nonsense. 

Understanding the process by which someone can believe in and defend flat earth is an excellent way of understanding and preventing your own intellectual errors.

Frankly the existence of a horizon - on its own - demonstrably obliterates flat earth.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Frankly the existence of a horizon - on its own - demonstrably obliterates flat earth.
False, already debunked this elsewhere.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
[RM] False, already debunked this elsewhere.
What about what Elliott said?

The main problem with the Flat Earth model as I have seen isthe Sun. It is portrayed as moving over the flat disk in a way that it would alwaysremain visible. Not only that but as it moves away from one part of the disk itshould appear to grow smaller, which it doesn’t.

This is seriously really depressing. ebuc's torus geodesic dark energy nonsense and now this. It feels like sanity is seeping from society as the years go by. Maybe I'm also crazy for spending time on a site with so few people. Does anyone think that maybe the people who are here stay here because this low population is the only way they get a word in edgewise? Like they would be shouted to smitherines in any other context (unless it was an echo chamber)?

Just a bunch of complete lunatics huddling together...
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
False, already debunked this elsewhere.
No, no it hasn’t.

This is a typical strategy of the mislead, and the wrong. Minimal reply, alluding to something and then trying to shift the rhetorical burden.

There is no debunk of the horizon, merely three non-explanations that are neither explained nor defended.

1.) “It’s perspective” 

No attempt to explain wtf that actually means, merely a handwaving statement meant to seem like it’s explaining without actually explaining. No diagrams, no maths, nothing. 

2.) “ships can be zoomed back in”

Except they can’t. It’s impossible. If the sea is in between the observer and the ship - no amount of zoom will change that. Moreover all example videos shown are merely taking a ship from being imperceptibly small to being seen - no zooming video has or will ever take a ship that has some large portion obscured to having no portion obscured.

3.) “it’s refraction”

Another meaningless handwaving explanation, that violates all demonstrable properties of refraction in the atmosphere, again proposes no model or images to justify how a horizon can appear at all - much less everywhere, all the time, ubiquitously in all weather conditions…

So no.
Math_Enthusiast
Debates: 8
Math_Enthusiast
Let P = if P then the earth is flat. Suppose P is true. Then "if P then the earth is flat," and so since P is true, the earth is flat. We have seen thus far that if P then the earth is flat, therefore P is indeed true, and the earth is flat.

Epilogue:

Don't take any of this seriously, including this sentence.