U.S. Governors Mafia Endgame

Author: ILikePie5

Total: 43
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
TOWN WINS

I just wanted to say that this game was hectic. I was extremely surprised Wylted was alive for as long as he was alive. His role made no sense and was not even real. If you’d looked at my past games, I had never created a role from scratch. 

I give credit to RationalMadman for basically solving the theme, albeit much later in the game. For those of you who stopped following, the theme was Governors who have been regularly re-elected at least 3 times as Mafia and 1-2 times as town. I personally thought the theme wasn’t hard to find but scum never tried to solve it, and it burned them in the back at the end.

The fake role given to scum was Hider. It wasn’t much, but it was something. To be honest, at first I thought the game was Town sided, but it switched to mafia sided and back to town sided. Overall, it played out to be balanced. For those wondering about the Purifier role, it could’ve “unfrozen” someone but also could’ve gotten rid of the 2nd night of protection by the White Mage.

At the end, scum team wanted to troll around a little bit, so I gave them permission to change my posts. It was just to tease SirAnonymous a little. Sorry bro :/. Everything worked out well for you though, so congratulations on being one of the last two townies alive though.

To close, I just wanted to say that I really had fun making and reading this game. I hope you all had just as much fun playing. As always, I am open to constructive criticism and questions.

MAFIA

Barney - You are Greg Abbott from The Lone Star State of Texas. In 2014, after the retirement of longtime Governor Rick Perry, you defeated abortion barbie Wendy Davis. While Beto O’Rourke came within 3% of defeating Senator Ted Cruz in 2018, you easily defeated Lupe Valdez by more than 10% in 2018. Just recently, you handed Robert Francis O’Rourke his second defeat, winning by 11%. One of the biggest issues in Texas this last cycle was ERCOT aka the state electric grid after the massive freezes in 2021 and 2022. Luckily, you solved this problem as seen most recently in 2023, yet you still got unfair criticism. They blame you for climate change caused by the oil and gas energy, but call you out because of the power grid. Thus, you are the Mafia Freezer. Each Night, you may select a player. This will cause two effects, one of them delayed. The night on which the action is used the target will be frozen in place and will be roleblocked. On the following night the target will still be dethawing, causing the target to be unable to be protected. You win with the Mafia.

Wylted - You are Jay Inslee from The Evergreen State of Washington. Washington State is a very liberal state at the federal level, but at the state level, it has been historically close. Well, up until you came along. Ever since your election, you have been the predominant advocate for clean energy, even co-authoring a book called Apollo's Fire: Igniting America's Clean Energy Economy. You even want to ban gasoline-powered cars by 2035 in exchange for electric and other types of vehicles. It’s actually dumb, but I don’t expect anything more from a Washington State Democrat, especially after Tiffany Smiley losing to Patty Murray. Oh, I also forgot to mention that you pull the no you when Donald Trump criticized you for the autonomous zone during the George Floyd riots, aka CHAZ/CHOP. Thus, you are the Mafia Electrician. If you are ever investigated, the investigator’s action will fail and you will learn the role of the investigator. You win with the Mafia.

Whiteflame - You are Phil Scott from The Green Mountain State of Vermont. Vermont is one of two states in the nation that hold elections for governor every two years. You are probably the most liberal Republican in the entire nation, but it makes sense since you do represent Vermont. In my eyes, still a RINO though. Stick to governing your state rather than criticizing Donald Trump. You are literally irrelevant when it comes to Governors, but you have a unique capacity to get legislation passed through the Democratic Vermont legislature. You have your own brand, and it is a damn good one at that with a lot of power. Therefore, you are the Super JOAT. You have the following abilities: 1x Framer, 1x Lawyer, 1x Scout, 1x Stalker, 1x  Strongarm, 1x Janitor, 1x Lookout, 1x Ninja. You win with the Mafia.

———————————————————————————
TOWN

Greyparrot - You are Tony Evers from The Badger State of Wisconsin. In 2018, you defeated the leader of the Wisconsin GOP in the form of incumbent Governor Scott Walker. Yes, the man who won in 2010, defeated the recall attempt in 2012, and won re-election 2014 lost to you. Even in 2022, a strongly GOP midterm, you defeated Tim Michels to win a second term. I think you won because of your ties to Wisconsinites. For every year since you became governor, you have visited all 72 counties in Wisconsin, which is a remarkable feat. As a result, you are the Compulsive Visitor. Each Night, you must target a player. Assuming no interference with your action, you will visit them (which has no actual effect). You win with the Town.

Austin - You are Joe Lombardo from The Silver State of Nevada. Congratulations on your inauguration! You just defeated incumbent Governor Steve Sisolak making you the only GOP candidate to pick up a governorship in the nation. This was likely thanks to your tenure as the Sheriff of Clark County, the most populous county in Nevada. You won just enough Democrats to keep the margin low in Clark County and Washoe County to win. Let’s see how well you do in 2026 because that will be the true test. Therefore, you are the Sheriff. Each Night, you may investigate a player to learn their alignment. Because you were the only GOP governor candidate to flip a seat, one night where you do not investigate, you may shoot a player. However, if you use your shot, you will lose your investigative powers because you won the race and resigned as the Sheriff. You win with the Town.

RationalMadman - You are Mike DeWine from The Buckeye State of Ohio. Ohioans rewarded you with a second term in 2022. You easily beat your challenged Nan Whaley winning ancestrally democratic Mahoning County by 30%. Electorally, your politics run deep through the state of Ohio. In 1982, you won a U.S. House seat. Later on in 1994, you won a U.S. Senate seat in the state of Ohio, which you ended up losing to current Senator Sherrod Brown. After that, you ran for State Attorney General in 2010 and won, followed by a run for Governor in which you beat Richard Cordray by 4%. Because of these reasons, you are the Senator. You start the game with -3 votes on them meaning that it will take 3 votes over the majority to lynch you. This value will increase by +1 each time a player is eliminated to a maximum of +1, meaning it takes one less vote than the majority to lynch you. All effects go away when the game is at MYLO, but you will not know when that is. You win with the Town.

Badger - You are Kay Ivey from The Yellowhammer State of Alabama. You got re-elected with amazing numbers. You literally came within 2 points of flipping Birmingham county red. Yes, that’s right, the city where Martin Luther King Jr. was arrested and put in jail. Ironically, you put on blackface in college nearly 50 years ago as part of a college skit. Liberals criticized you, but the times were different. It is unfair to criticize you for doing something dumb in college, especially in a time where it was socially acceptable to do so. Everyone thinks you’re some massive racist and the Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan, but as Joe Biden would say, c’mon mon. She’s a great fit for the state and fights to protect minors from unknowingly ruining their lives by cutting off their genitals. Therefore, you are the 2x White Mage. Each Night, you may select a player. That player will be protected the night you select them, as well as the following night. You win with the Town.

SupaDudz - You are Ron DeSantis from The Sunshine State of Florida. Many within the Grand Old Party want you to run for President to stop Donald Trump. A lot of people think you are Donald Trump without the baggage, but you are still unproven when it comes to foreign policy. You could be a neocon for all I know. Anyways, you are really good at getting what you want. We saw during redistricting that you defied the GOP legislature map and pushed your own extreme map abolishing the district running from Tallahassee to Jacksonville. The legislature acquiesced and the map survived court challenges. Most recently, you defied College Board and the Democrats by refusing to implement AP African American History because of content relating to queer theory and slave reparations. Eventually the College Board took some of the topics out. Because of this and your massive victory in 2022, you are the 1x Governor. Once during the game, you may choose to reverse the will of the majority of the town and nullify the lynching of a player. To do this, you must message me within 4 hours of a candidate getting the final vote required to lynch. You win with the Town.

SirAnonymous - You are Kim Reynolds from The Hawkeye State of Iowa. Just recently, you were on the news because you signed a new school choice bill in Iowa. Congratulations! You were the Lieutenant Governor of Terry Branstad, the longest serving Governor in United States history. After he accepted an ambassadorship to China under the Trump administration, you ascended to the position of Governor. Your first test came in 2018 when you narrowly defeated Fred Hubbell by only 3%. It was a Democratic year though, so we cannot blame you that much. Most recently in 2022 though, you easily defeated your opponent Deidre DeJear by 18%. Clearly, you watched your predecessor and learned from the best. Since Iowa does not have term limits, let us see how much more you win. Because of this, you are the 2x Tracker. Each Night, you may select a player. You will learn who that person visited. You win with the Town.

That2User - You are Gavin Newsom from The Golden State. As it turns out, you are a rich snob who partied while your constituents were forced to cower down in their homes. What a hypocrite. Now you want to run for President? Give me a break, it makes no sense, and you would get clobbered as a California elite just like Kamala Harris. Electorally you’re decent, but that’s just because of liberal cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco where people go number two on the streets and use drugs out in the open. You are insanely lucky that you are in California, which is the home of modern day liberalism. I honestly hope you run for President so you get humbled at the national level by Trump or DeSantis. What a disgrace. You are the Miller. If an investigator uses their power on you, you will appear mafia aligned or guilty. You win with the Town.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
Best Korea - You are Gretchen Whitmer from The Great Lake State of Michigan. You were the one person I wanted most to lose in 2022. Unfortunately, you got rid of your strongest opponents with dumb signature verification rules. You can be strict here, but you cannot be strict when the election is going on. How fun. Lucky for you, abortion was a turnout machine, and it helped you win quite easily. Other things may have helped though, since you helped solve the Flint water problem in a bipartisan fashion. Good for you. Now you essentially have a blank check with the legislature being under Democratic control, so you can pass any woke thing you want. As a result, you are the 2x Purifier. Each Night, you may select a player. That player will have any lingering effects removed from them. You win with the Town.

NP1 Actions:

Barney - Freeze That2
Wylted - NK Austin
Whiteflame - Scout GreyParrot

Greyparrot - Visit Wylted
Austin - Investigate Whiteflame
Badger - Mage That2
SirAnon - Waive

NP2 Actions:

Barney - Freeze SirAnon
Wylted - Nothing
Whiteflame - Strongarm Supa

Greyparrot - Visit Barney
Badger - Mage Supa
SirAnon - Track Whiteflame

NP3 Actions:

Barney: Waive
Whiteflame: Ninja Badger

Greyparrot: Visit Barney
SirAnon: Track Barney

NP4 Actions:

Barney: Kill RM and Freeze Greyparrot

Greyparrot: Visit Barney

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
@Barney
@whiteflame
@SirAnonymous
Endgame is up
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@RationalMadman
@Vader
@badger
@That2User
@Best.Korea
Endgame is up
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@AustinL0926
Endgame is up
That2User
Debates: 4
That2User
Town holds, RM saved us, I thought I lost town the game
That2User
That2User
-->
@RationalMadman
How did you solve the theme?
That2User
That2User
-->
@SirAnonymous
Thank you to SAnon to sticking to your guns
AustinL0926
Debates: 33
AustinL0926
This would have been a lot easier if I wasn't a dunce - I should have just investigated whiteflame quietly without revealing my role.

Anyway, RM was clearly the MVP for town here, no question about it.
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@AustinL0926
Yeah, I think it was a mistake to claim your character that early. With that set of information, it was obvious who you were and that you were the Cop. Admittedly, if we hadn't known, I probably would have used the lawyer on myself in NP1 and you would have gotten false info from your investigation, so don't feel too badly about not being able to investigate me that night.

I actually did do some investigation into the theme myself, though I didn't notice the number of terms spent in the role. Missed that detail.

In any case, it was a good game and I enjoyed it. Don't mind that we lost - honestly, figuring out the theme was secondary to a lot of the analysis that had already gone on up to that point. Well figured.
That2User
That2User
-->
@whiteflame
 figuring out the theme was secondary to a lot of the analysis that had already gone on
Yeah like pinning behavior
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@That2User
I first had to really, really pinpoint Mafia. I spotted the shared environmental bill involvement between Barney's character and Wylted's but if that was wrong it could have been a very intentional red herring Pie put there.

When SA returned the way he behaved screamed Town to me, it made me really comfortable and sure the scum was between GP and Barney for the partner of Whiteflame.

Then I had already noticed something peculiar about my own guy, he'd been a 2-term Senator and 2-term Governor too, so I thought the theme was about being 2-term something but SA picked up on that Lombardo was only a 1-term governor and that still the theme fit if it was just about being 'more than 2' for Scum.

It clicked also in my head that Pie would want it relatively solvable so other than a region of US vs region of US theme, the only thing quickly noticable is something like term-lengths. It clicked in my head at the last minute but I had already considered it beforehand but if I said that to begin with it would create 2 problems:

1. if I'm wrong I will have singlehandedly ruined the Town
2. Even a town version of Barney and WF would react angry and scumread me for that and Whiteflame being angry is a towntell of his that I didn't want to fuel, I needed organic WF interacting with me.
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@Barney
@whiteflame
@ILikePie5
You guys completely fooled me. That was a good joke. I'll be laughing at it in about an hour when it sinks in.
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@RationalMadman
Had your theme guess been wrong and implicated different people, it wouldn't have changed my reads. I'm never certain of scumreads, but that time I was.
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@RationalMadman
@whiteflame
Yeah, I think it was a mistake to claim your character that early. With that set of information, it was obvious who you were and that you were the Cop. 
I actually did not notice that Lombardo (and therefore Austin) was a cop, contrary to your guesses in the game. Once I figured out his governor, I stopped reading Lombardo's bio.
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@ILikePie5
 I personally thought the theme wasn’t hard to find but scum never tried to solve it, and it burned them in the back at the end.
I'm kind of surprised you didn't tell them what the theme was.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@SirAnonymous
I'm kind of surprised you didn't tell them what the theme was.
I never do. That’s why I give the option of role claim or fake claim
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@ILikePie5
Makes sense.
badger
Debates: 0
badger
In my scum pool of 4 D1, I had all the mafia and the scummiest townie (noob town who's been handed a big PR to hide). Start of D2 I was 3/3 on mafia. 

I handed town this game. 
badger
badger
In all fairness, if you make the all the wilier players mafia, you're handing a free read of the game to anyone on the town that can competently read. That2, Sir, Supa, GP, BK are all way too easy to TR. Townreads are always going to be the engine of this game. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
I mean your fake gun thing did help yeah
badger
badger
My fake gun was just to watch Wylted squirm a little bit, fun for me. Fact of this game is townies sheep dead townies reads. The psychological incentive is to be "less wrong" and that's less wrong than being taken in by mafia. Because nobody can actually read. 
badger
badger
The psychological incentive is to be "less wrong" and that's less wrong than being taken in by mafia. Because nobody can actually read. 
In fact, this was BK's big towntell D1 in trying to pawn off responsibility on cleared RM, and I pointed that out. He's actually interesting to play with insofar as he's so obvious. But none of us are so far advanced from what he is. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
People think I am easy to read because I've been Town so ridiculously much on here, so by Best Korea's gambler fallacy logic which is slightly accurate, I will end up scum some time soon and it's why I don't want to queue up much onto pof being busy irl the next 3 months for sure.

I am not sure what Badger means by this:
In fact, this was BK's big towntell D1 in trying to pawn off responsibility on cleared RM, and I pointed that out. He's actually interesting to play with insofar as he's so obvious. But none of us are so far advanced from what he is. 
I disagree to most of this minus the part that BK is indeed easy to read for other reasons.

I am very advanced past that and the one time I was scum with total lurkers as teammates (iirc, Supadudz was one of them lol) that didn't try at all, I won a cop cc I think it was. Then naturally I was lynched the next day due to them having voted off the real cop and my teammates were hopeless, I even tried to distance myself from them but to no avail.

I am not easy to read whatsoever, if you notice I often semi-slip and do crazy things as Town here, it's to cover my bases, I am going to be so easily forgiven when I am scum because I can be chaotic and just keep pressuring. In a small community like this, you are able to maximise your Town games by playing sloppy on purpose. That lets you slip as scum and play it off with ease.

If I always follow a rigid format of behaviour and logic, it doesn't do me any favours. One meta thing about me is I go hard as fuck DP1 no matter what but I like that. Mafia for me is an earlygame-heavy game in its apex format. In other words, for most people Mafia builds over time, they try least DP1 and most in the 3-way or 5-way etc. I see it the other way around, I create pressure like a maniac from DP1's start to the bitter end of the game or when I die, whichever comes first. That style can help me as scum too, lets me notice PRs who stay quiet and vice versa. The fact my Town meta is so scummy is excellent for me, I am truly unreadable in my opinion and would truly fear myself as an opponent in this game on here.

Elsewhere, if I cared for serious forum mafia long-term, I definitely pace myself more but pressuring to annoying degrees DP1 relative to the norm has always been my meta ever since I got good at mafia and always will be. There's no reason to change it at all in my opinion.
badger
badger
You aren't good at mafia. I read some of your posts after I'd died to see if you'd fuck it up, was a whole bunch of deluded bullshit. There wasn't one sensible read in there. You had a 1/3 chance in hitting mafia D1 and you hit it this game, big whoop. Besides that all you managed was counting terms or some silly shit. You're deluded and obnoxious. I was 3/3 in my reads, like a 1/100 chance thereabouts. Tell me I'm not reading you right now. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
 You're deluded and obnoxious. 
look in the mirror xD

where the fuck did you even claim the team?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
what amazes me is playing the way I play lets people consistently think I'm not amazing and just got lucky... over and over again, which then is a major benefit to my edge as they don't target me night 1 etc.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
I do play a bit differently elsewhere though, with a group of pure strangers I definitely opt to be more straight forwardly Towny and not some 'brute' DP1 but I am very active and time my entries to games only when I have time and energy to be that active throughout (especially during earlier days).

Here, since it's a small community and people know I play high pressure and tunnel people as Town, even OMGUS people as Town at times, I get much more leeway to put pressure. My role that game complimented my playstyle massively well because the DP1 literally has to revolve around the Senator outing there in most scenarios.
That2User
That2User
-->
@badger
How did you know it was WyIted and Barney
badger
badger
I town-read everyone else. That's about it really. Scum-tells are hard-spotted and hard-related tbh. I do have a few, though. I outlined one on WF this game. Scum also feels an inherent pressure in posting, might explain why Wylted played this game from the start like a sprung Jack In The Box. Scum will OMGUS less also, but that's a tricky read. Plays back into my read on WF. Mafia will try to weasel out from under FOSes. Town will just FOS right back. I mean the big read is town-reading someone in this game. At least, I always found there were a lot more markers for truth than there are lies. Truth is just a deeper thing. More goes into it. Then the big scum-tell is failing to emulate a townie. In the end, being a townie is a deep enough thing, that's what you should be focusing on.