One of my Nephews has decided he’s Wiccan Now.

Author: Reece101

Total: 13
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
More specifically a Green Witch.  For any pagans out there, do you have any advice for him?
Melcharaz
Debates: 6
Melcharaz
yeah. don't.

aside from that, he is opening himself up to... less aggressive spirits who will guide him into deceit, but also power and personal, fading peace.

speaking from what  ive seen, not experienced.
Sir.Lancelot
Debates: 182
Sir.Lancelot
The only Pagan Cheerleader here was banned. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@Reece101
The true path to paganism is to abhor organised religion altogether.

Wicca is a lie and polytheist-witch (the user) actually agreed, she is was a Heathen and a spiritualist, not a wiccan. If you are Wiccan, you are part of an organised religion, that's all I will say. You are blindly abiding by scripture and fairytales that tell you to live live a specific way and are all about feeling included into a certain social circle (which is mainly lesbians so I'm not sure what your nephew is there for).
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
The only Pagan Cheerleader here was banned. 

She never once or rarely discussed her paganism.  And by her own admission she was a "self made Witch" without a coven.  She did once tell me that her "gods" were aliens from another planet which I found interesting but the conversation didn't get any further that.
It was probably a case of that any decent conversation with her about her own beliefs was getting in the way of her wish to continually abuse other members, which seemed to be her favourite subject above all.
TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
Probably one of the only pagans left on this website (though not really active), but ya, not a fan of Wicca. It is a clearly invented religion (rather than one that arrived through cultural evolution), its foundation was based upon lies and now universally debunked historical ideas on the history of witches, etc.

Wicca tends to be much more politically tied than reconstructionist pagan religions, and there is a long history of cultural appropriation within Wicca.

Though, if you are looking for more "helpful" advice, then I recommend looking at what reconstructionists and historians say about their religions when "borrowing" elements from them rather than what wiccans say or interpreting it yourself (unless you have enough of a foundation to feel you can do it correctly). A warning would be that wiccan spaces are also very tied in with progressive politics, and so if you don't agree with progressive political views that it would be better to just shut up about politics and politically adjacent topics all together. Having people you can get along with that share your religious views, especially when there are so few pagans, is more important than you would think (take it from someone that lost their original group of pagan friends due to political BS).

I also would give a warning about hubris, thinking that any God or Goddess thinks of you in a super special way compared to others. It is easy to interpret religious experiences to fit what you want, and it is easy, if you are actively looking for such experiences (which I tend to see Wiccans actively looking for them more often than recons) that you will see and hear things that aren't there, your mind is just validating you and you are interpreting it as divine validation.

If there is any specific topic, then I can try to answer, but the overlap between Hellenism and Wicca isn't that great, and so it would mostly be me giving advice from what I have seen from various Wiccan friends and what I had looked into on my own time.
Best.Korea
Debates: 251
Best.Korea
If this was the old Christian rule, he would be burned alive.
Since this is modern world where Christianity is about as correct as Wicca is, I might as well give advice.

So, about advices:
1) My advice for him is "worship the God you find to be similar to you". Thats what I do.

2) Another advice for him is "dont force yourself to do any worshipping or rituals at times when you dont feel like it". Prayers and rituals demand dedication and joy.

3) Another advice is "do prayers based on your emotions". If you feel angry, ask God to either relieve you of anger or to destroy those who made you angry.

4) Another advice is to "ask your God for guidance when you are seeking knowledge and strength when you are facing a fight".

Those seem to be the advices. Are they good? I dont know. I am a low rank theist. Ask upper ranks for better advice.
Best.Korea
Debates: 251
Best.Korea
Another advice, if he can find the other members of his religion and connect with them, that will be great for him.
Sir.Lancelot
Debates: 182
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@Stephen
She never once or rarely discussed her paganism.  And by her own admission she was a "self made Witch" without a coven.  She did once tell me that her "gods" were aliens from another planet which I found interesting but the conversation didn't get any further that. 
It was probably a case of that any decent conversation with her about her own beliefs was getting in the way of her wish to continually abuse other members, which seemed to be her favourite subject above all.
Berating her would become routine for me if she stayed longer. 
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@Reece101
More specifically a Green Witch.  For any pagans out there, do you have any advice for him?
Presumably, he has read the book, if not, it would be the perfect gift.

There are a lot of different spiritual paths, they all lead to the same mountaintop, tell him to follow the path with a heart.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Sidewalker
Presumably, he has read the book, if not, it would be the perfect gift.

There are a lot of different spiritual paths, they all lead to the same mountaintop, tell him to follow the path with a heart.

And not to forget his crampons.

Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
He’s just going through a spiritual phase.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Reece101
Tell him to have fun whilst he can.

All kids enjoy having a phase.

Fundamentally, it's all about sex and procreation. Though it's evolved into all sorts of daft stuff.