Disney: yet another remake of a classic RACE SWAPPING instead of creating NEW characters!

Author: TWS1405_2

Total: 16
TWS1405_2
Debates: 4
TWS1405_2

Disney is getting "destroyed" for WOKE Peter Pan & Wendy trailer - and - Black Tinkerbell gets SLAMMED by fans of this classic tale. And let's not forget the gender swapping with the "Lost Boys" as well. 

Go woke, go BROKE!

Discuss.
YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@TWS1405_2
I think that when comes to racial roles in Disney, it all depends on the context.

If you take an old character and race swap them, I don't think it's a big deal, as long as it doesn't kill the character, or 
the character in question doesn't have any historical/racial ties.

Take the little mermaid for instance. 

They changed Arial to be black. I would be ok with this but the historical significance, is very concerning.

The original story of the little mermaid took place in the renaissance europe, where racial division was very high.
It wouldn't make sense to the story at all if Arial was black. Plus the original story emphasizes the red hair. Black people biologically don't have black hair. 

So in this case, I am not fine with it, but I guess it depends on the context of the characters. 

My solution is, instead of switching the races of characters, how about just make new ones. 
Phenenas
Debates: 18
Phenenas
We're talking about children's stories about mermaids and magical fairies. I don't think "historical accuracy" is an issue. Ideally, it shouldn't matter what race any of these characters are.

I won't be seeing any of these movies though, because Disney's live-action remakes are garbage. Not because they have black people in them, but because they're mediocre, poorly-made, and there's no reason for them to exist when the originals are perfectly fine.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
Many, if not all, of these Disney fairly-tales are gleaned from pagan mythologies including the Little Mermaid (Ariel's father is literally named Triton,) and Peter Pan (who is a conflation of the Greek/Roman God Pan/Faunus and the Ancient Egyptian god, P'tah -- i.e. Peter Pan = P'tah Pan.) Disney's "washing/replacing" these characters is probably an attempt to ingratiate these pagan characters with different audiences. You guys are missing the point entirely.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@badger
You are good with tech and I have had a business ideals for a while. With deep fakes being a thing what do you feel about partnering up with me to turn black characters white with deep fakes so I can sell DVDs to racist boomers and nerds? I think there is a huge market for things like making Annie or the little mermaid white. Hell I might even be able to make the black panther white and sell the deep fake movie to boomers. 

What percent of the cut do you want?
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@badger
You get full creative control of the white washing of films, I will handle distribution 
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
I think that when comes to racial roles in Disney, it all depends on the context.

If you take an old character and race swap them, I don't think it's a big deal, as long as it doesn't kill the character, or 
the character in question doesn't have any historical/racial ties.

Take the little mermaid for instance. 

They changed Arial to be black. I would be ok with this but the historical significance, is very concerning.

The original story of the little mermaid took place in the renaissance europe, where racial division was very high.
It wouldn't make sense to the story at all if Arial was black. Plus the original story emphasizes the red hair. Black people biologically don't have black hair. 

So in this case, I am not fine with it, but I guess it depends on the context of the characters. 

My solution is, instead of switching the races of characters, how about just make new ones. 
LOL, you do know that in the original story Ariel's skin was green, right?  White people biologically don't have green skin.  I guess you aren't going to be fine with anybody playing her.

Damn, you guys are entertaining as hell, I find it helps to imagine you with a red styrofoam nose and big floppy shoes when you do your "intellectual" discussions LOL
YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Sidewalker
In the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale, he describes the mermaid as having a “white skin.”
Andersen was a Dane, he lived in a place where anyone who wasn’t pasty-white (or the sun-damaged variation of pasty-white) was a rarity.
He was also writing explicitly for an audience that equated paleness with female beauty. Upper-class women in Andersen’s culture avoided suntanning; if your skin wasn’t pasty white, you were obviously someone who labored in the outdoors and weren’t a member of the “gentry”.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Coal Black and the seven mixed race, gender neutral un-pro-nouned LGBTQ, shorter people.

Interestingly, Coal Black will be voiced by a pasty Dane.
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
Can you imagine if they remake The Prince of Egypt redone so they can deny that blacks used to enslave the Hebrew people? 

Awkward.
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
Meh. Remakes tend to be bad anyway.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
Can you imagine if they remake The Prince of Egypt redone so they can deny that blacks used to enslave the Hebrew people? 
I believe this in fact happened but it's debatable as to whether Hebrews were ever enslaved by Egyptians. Egyptologists are split on it
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
I also think Egyptians are only classified as black by groups that are very uncomfortable with the fact there are zero successful advanced African civilizations. It's clear that the Egyptians had a lighter skin tone similar to what Arabs have 
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
In the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale, he describes the mermaid as having a “white skin.”
Andersen was a Dane, he lived in a place where anyone who wasn’t pasty-white (or the sun-damaged variation of pasty-white) was a rarity.
He was also writing explicitly for an audience that equated paleness with female beauty. Upper-class women in Andersen’s culture avoided suntanning; if your skin wasn’t pasty white, you were obviously someone who labored in the outdoors and weren’t a member of the “gentry”.
Says you....well, actually says Karin Cozzolino.

Karin is wrong, Hans Christian Anderson did not specify her skin color, in the priginal story  he also didn't give her a name, so maybe Disney is making movies about a different little mermaid.  Maybe all you right wing whack jobs are just having a Pavlovian response to the words Black and person being in the same sentence.

But hey, if you want to be traumatized by a fairy tale, then go for it, cry baby cry.   Don't worry, nobody is going to deprive you of your victimhood.
badger
Debates: 0
badger
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
I'm down to make a Siberian Tiger movie which is a bunch of lunatic Russians. 
sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
Go woke go broke.