We should abolish the electoral college

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 38
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@TheUnderdog
Yeah, but right now, the divide is red state vs blue state, not big state vs small state.  Otherwise California and Texas would be on the same team.
Again, right now does not matter because smaller states in terms of population are red. It’s population. And you still don’t acknowledge that without the Great Compromise we wouldn’t have a USA.

In a popular vote snarareao, most people in the US don’t live in one of the 4 biggest states in the country.  It’s possible to win the popular vote while not getting a single vote from California, Texas, New York, or Florida.  I’m from CT, but I don’t feel like a CT resident; I feel like an American.  It makes more sense to have the electoral college based on ethnicity (so the British ethnicity gets some electoral votes, the Italian ethnicity gets some electoral votes, the Indian ethnicity gets some electoral votes) than to have the things that get electoral votes be pieces of land on a map where people are well mixed up to an extent.  But ideally, everyone’s vote should matter equally individually.
That makes zero sense lol. You still have yet to argue against the knowingly rejecting popular vote method.

I know why the elecoral college existed; I don’t see the point in it now.  NYC voters have more in common with LA voters than they do upstate NY voters.  The states don’t mean much anymore.
Again, it’s population.

What do you mean by economic considerations or religious ones?  Christian’s make up the majority of every state in the country.  Slavery was an issue when the states had way more autonomy; they have less autonomy now.
Oh my god. Dude you’re literally ignorant.

Biden won because mask mandates in 2020 were backed by 80% of the population and Trump didn’t support them.  This caused some people to vote democrat.  People also didn’t like Trump’s personality.  Me, I like a guy that has the balls to brag about his net worth.  But a lot of people got sick of Trump.
So Biden won cause of Trump, not his policies.

It’s just that my history knowledge isn’t the best, although I learned a fair amount of it in school.  I learned about the electoral college and why we have it, even if I don’t agree with it now.  If I was alive in 1800, I would have agreed, but not now when society is much more integrated.
And this is exactly the reason why the Founding Fathers wanted an Electoral College
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@ILikePie5
Again, right now does not matter because smaller states in terms of population are red.
You said previously the divide between small states and big states was what mattered as to why the electoral college is a thing.  Now you are saying it isn't.

And you still don’t acknowledge that without the Great Compromise we wouldn’t have a USA.
There was a time when the great compromise was needed, but now the states are much more similar to one another, so it's not needed anymore.  It would make more sense to rather than give states electoral votes, you give ethnic groups in the US electoral votes.  But I don't agree with this since everyone's vote should be equal, so I say the same thing about the electoral college.

Oh my god. Dude you’re literally ignorant.
Ad hominin attack; your sounding woke.

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@TheUnderdog
You said previously the divide between small states and big states was what mattered as to why the electoral college is a thing.  Now you are saying it isn't.
Cause back then, small state = small population and big state = big population…critical thinking and history.

There was a time when the great compromise was needed, but now the states are much more similar to one another, so it's not needed anymore.  It would make more sense to rather than give states electoral votes, you give ethnic groups in the US electoral votes.  But I don't agree with this since everyone's vote should be equal, so I say the same thing about the electoral college.
You can’t revoke the Great Compromise without there being a Civil War. You’re arguing about a topic that has zero solvency. The Electoral College cannot go away without a Constitutional Amendment; enough states are there to oppose it.

Ad hominin attack; you’re sounding woke.
Not really. I’m calling out your lack of ability to do basic research while arguing with someone. It’s like someone bringing a pencil to gun fight. I have the gun, you have the pencil right now.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
Dudes in my generation like this guy are why the nation is going to shit. Very sad.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
For him to say "the states are similar" he probably hasn't traveled the country a lot. The state laws are wildly different from state to state, especially on 3rd rail state laws like guns, pot, gambling and abortion. 
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@TheUnderdog
I don't know why conservatives are so pro electoral college. The electoral college is Affirmative action to states that can't attract as many people. If you want more voting power in your state, then your state needs to find a way to attract more people.
It's so regionally favorite candidates don't get an unfair advantage over people who have more wide approval. We want a president that is forced to appeal to a wide range of people not just the most people. 

The primary system does this to a certain extent because candidates can't get elected without considering the opinions of people in states that they automatically lose in, in the general election. The electoral system if not in place would have 4 or 5 big candidates running for office and results where the majority boter could technically be chosen by something like 33% of people when the 77% who absolutely despise them are split among other candidates.

I know this is where you begin to mention ranked choice or run offs. The problem with run offs is dragging out the election a ridiculous amount as to avoid someone winning with a plurality of votes instead of a majority. the nation count handle the 3 months battle to overturn the first election and then a new legal battle right after the run off. The ranked choice system also has the same problem of making it so the worst candidates get too many default votes
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
Most liberals would be for the electoral college if not for it helping trump win, just because it is so undeniably the best system at the moment. When it goes back to benefiting liberals again, they will defend it fiercely 

12 days later

TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
The electoral system if not in place would have 4 or 5 big candidates running for office and results where the majority boter could technically be chosen by something like 33% of people when the 77% who absolutely despise them are split among other candidates.
The solution to this is Rank choice voting.

The problem with run offs is dragging out the election a ridiculous amount as to avoid someone winning with a plurality of votes instead of a majority.
The election doesn't have to be dragged out.  People rank their candidates from 1 to 5 and if nobody gets 50%, then the 2nd votes are automatically applied.  You don't need to drag out the election for months with Rank choice voting.