The dismantling of Irish Culture.

Author: Stephen

Total: 42
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@bmdrocks21
What is really funny is that Mexicans in Mexico despise their Aztec roots while Mexicans in the USA despise their European roots.

PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
I am far from Muslim but seeing the degenerate shitholes country christians have allowed America to become. I welcome Muslim invasion 
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@zedvictor4
Sorry didn’t get notified of a response.

Why do you feel fortunate of getting to experience pre-21st century British culture. What changed?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@bmdrocks21
Well, how old are you?

If you're my age you would understand.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@zedvictor4
I’m much younger than you and not British. But seeing how things have been and their trajectory, I won’t have a normal, fulfilling life.

But I want to hear it from you, Zed. What’s changed in Britain?

Besides of course both of our empires crumbling within our respective lifetimes
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@bmdrocks21
Chapter 1.

Well, I expect that if you ask any American born in 1960's rural USA, how life and society has changed, they would say the same as me.

Life was simple, straightforward not blighted by an over expectation to achieve stuff that doesn't really need achieving.

Can you imagine a life with no computers and no hand held devices? 

No telephone in fact, save for the one down the road in the telephone box. Communication with people beyond ones local community was by mail.

Very few private cars. Neither of my parents ever learned to drive.

If you needed to get to the local town for shopping etc. You went on the bus which ran twice a week on Wednesdays and Saturdays. But that was it, you went out of necessity rather than any desire to do so.

To be fair, what seemed idyllic to me, was probably tough for my parents. But I'm grateful to them for affording me those few years of childhood contentment, which will always be the happiest years of my life.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@zedvictor4
A plate of gratitude is always satisfying.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Greyparrot
Hopefully most kids respect their parents efforts.

I think that the big difference between me back then and children of today, is the fact that we were never emburdened with the expectations provided by instant access to a global society.

So here's a question for you:

Is technology actually beneficial to the human species, or is it that humans are only empowering technological evolution?

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@zedvictor4
I think the human species is going the way of the horse and buggy sadly. That's  evolution for you.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Greyparrot
Yep.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@zedvictor4
If you’ll indulge me:

So your issue is you think the world has become too fast-paced and integrated? That you can’t just enjoy things, have a moment with your thoughts, enjoy the moment?

I can definitely see how seeing biased representations of others’ lives from hundreds or thousands of miles away could cause dissatisfaction with your own life, whereas your frame of reference was the few thousand people in your home town.

Does that capture it, or is there more? You must have been a kid right at the start of the dissolving of the British empire. Has the culture changed in any sort of way?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@bmdrocks21
Chapter 2.

Well, my frame of reference back in the early 60's was my home village of less than 100 people. I had very little access to T.V. or radio.

Mid 60's onwards I went to school in a neighbouring village  and so during school hours my frame of reference broadened slightly, but away from school I always returned to the insularity of my home patch.

Yes my issue probably is that the world is now too fast paced for me, but as I was realistic enough to suggest earlier, I'm  happy to concede that I am the one whose pace doesn't match the requirements of modern society. Nonetheless, one can still find a lifestyle reminiscent of the past, though the demands of modernity are still ever present 

As for Empire.
The lives of both my parents were overshadowed by WW2. And so their thoughts and ideas and consequently mine, were not fashioned by Empire. In fact I think that Empire was already a weakening influence in the wider British society by then. My Dad witnessed some pretty atrocious stuff in Germany at the end of the War, which deeply affected him and further diminished his respect of old style Britishness, especially the hypocrisy of Monarchy. Which If you think about it, the problems that  beset Europe for over 100 years and probably still do today, can all be traced back to the machinations of one family.
And to give credit to you guys, two World Wars had shown the British public that British security no longer lay in Empire, but in the U.S.A.

In fact my Dad always used to say that we were now the 51st State.