What is a democrat? What is a republican?

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 39
ludofl3x
Debates: 0
ludofl3x
Wow, it's almost as if it's counterproductive to try to jam all of American society into only two columns...I mean it's like intelligent people might have nuanced opinions on various issues that aren't right down the line of whatever some outlet is describing as Democrat or Republican. Politics isn't the WWE, as it turns out! Who knew!
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@Intelligence_06
"Conservatism is good".
What counts as objectively good?
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@TheUnderdog
Nothing, but if you ask any conservative, they would say that conservatism is good. That is exactly how it works even if it is the same as nothing working.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Intelligence_06
But the conservative can't even consistently define what conservatism is.

If they claim conservatism is about small government, why are the conservatives pro life and pro ICE?

If they claim conservatism is about preserving American tradition, why are the conservatives anti vax mandate and anti Roe V Wade?

If they claim conservatism is about preserving Christain tradition, why are the conservatives Pro ICE and anti homeless?

If they claim conservatism is about following the law, why do the conservatives want to change many laws such as they want to be able to open carry without a government permit?  And wouldn't it mean that if guns were banned, that they would turn in all their guns?  If the first amendment was repealed, they wouldn't want to criticize the government anymore?

Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@TheUnderdog
Who cares, but they agree with whatever they believe that they label as conservatism, if and only if they label themselves as conservative. What is conservatism is not important.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Intelligence_06
What is conservatism is not important.
I disagree with that.  In order to be a conservative, you should be able to define what conservatism means and apply that logic consistently for all your positions.
Platypi
Debates: 1
Platypi
-->
@TheUnderdog
What common belief unites all of conservatives?  Like for libertarians, the belief that unites them is small government.  I can respect that even if I don't agree 100%.  The belief of a westernite is pro western civilization.  I can respect that even if I don't agree 100%.  For theocrats, it is whatever their religion says is what goes.  I can respect that even if I don't agree 100%. 

What common belief unites all of republican beliefs and what common belief unites all of democrat beliefs?  I can't think of any 100% consistent answer.
Could you elaborate on why these two questions are of interest to you today?  

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Platypi
Could you elaborate on why these two questions are of interest to you today?  
Because I am of the belief that most people pick 1 or 2 issues that they are passionate about (lets say you are very pro life and anti gun control) and since the GOP agrees with these things, you end up backing the current thing for issues you know nothing about (transgenderism, Affirmitive action, tax policy). 

None of these issues are connected through any sort of consistent reasoning that I can think of unless there is a definition of a republican and democrat that is consistent.

If the republican party said, "We believe in family values; end the deportation of undocumented fathers; abolish ICE!" and the democrat party said, "We don't want these anti choice theocrats from shithole countries coming into our country; build that wall!", the people who actually care about immigration are going to keep their stances on the issue (immigrant families), but everyone else is going to change their opinion based on what their party says.  This is bad.  Whatever your stance is on immigration should not correlate with your stance on abortion, vacciene mandates, gun laws, or any other issue.  But most people that are pro life and pro 2A are pro ICE, anti Affirmative action, even though these issues aren't connected in any way except for what parties selected the issue.

Your stance on one issue often shouldn't correlate to your stance on any other issue unless you have a common reference point.  Like for libetarians, that common reference point is "minimal government" and they use this to justify their beliefs (except for nuclear energy).  
Platypi
Debates: 1
Platypi
-->
@TheUnderdog
That is an astute observation.

I believe that if some of those people decided to vote by consent this would be less common.