A Perspective on the Violence in Nashville

Author: coal

Total: 206
coal
Debates: 6
coal
Once again, today we confront the depths of evil and moral depravity.  A school shooter murdered six people in a school.  More may succumb to their injuries, yet.   It is too early to say at this time.  The fatalities include three adults and three children.  The school was a private Christian religious school.  The shooter was a 28-year old former student of the same school.  

The shooter will answer in hell for these transgressions.  But that will not bring those kids or those teachers back.  Too many similar instances haunt our collective memories.

There are some differences between this instance, and other prior instances.  For example, this shooter was a transitioning "male" (born female, in some state of "transition" to being male).   It is unclear whether that is relevant to the shooter's motive or intentions.  It might be.  It might not be.  I don't have enough information to know at this time.  

The shooter allegedly wrote a "manifesto," according to news reports.  The alleged manifesto's contents are not described in the reporting.  The contents of the manifesto may shed light on the shooter's motives.  

Because facts are still developing, I can only offer my perspective on facts as they are known at this time (including, as described above).   

However, this much is true and will remain true:  Salvation is not had through policy. 

Immediate, reflexive calls for gun control are unhelpful.  As they always are.  Demands for broad, sweeping policy reform in the face of a highly publicized crisis  also do not add value.  This person would have passed any pre-purchase background check without difficulty.  

RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
 This person would have passed any pre-purchase background check without difficulty.  
And that is why gun bans is actually what to push for but it seems enough Americans will let their children be slaughtered, literally not metaphorically and not hyperbole, before daring to push for that... So, America is fucked.
Melcharaz
Melcharaz
news just covers it to push an agenda/controversy. There are bigger problems.

not to derail your concern over this issue, but this is the norm. america isnt going to get better. And someone loves to point the finger at a problem thats a symptom, not the source.
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@coal
As far as motive is concerned I was emailing an organization dedicated to tracking these events and getting as many details as possible because the claimed motives of the shooters always seem to be different than what they are stating, seeing as how they usually are inferior methods to obtaining the desired outcomes present in their manifestos.

The experts I talked to said the shooters own manifestos are usually bullshit and that even the most high profile mass casualty events are carried out by individuals who have recently been through a deeply emotional event such as the following 3 things. A break up, a job loss or a very bad health diagnosis. 

I am okay sharing specifically with you and you alone screenshots of the email exchange and the experts email address for you to verify. It is public record so I am comfortable doing it, but they are a very busy person so email replies typically take 1-2 weeks if you want to correspond directly. A lot of news organizations may be trying to reach out to them in response to recent events so your replies could take longer than normal as well
coal
coal
> And that is why gun bans is actually what to push for but it seems enough Americans will let their children be slaughtered, literally not metaphorically and not hyperbole, before daring to push for that... So, America is fucked.

This is a bad argument.  Swimming pools, cars, sharks, oceans, toys, peanuts, dirt bikes, and dogs kill plenty of children.  But we do not ban them, because we understand that instrumentalities of causing harm are not the problem.

Nor are guns the problem. 
coal
coal
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
DM me.
coal
coal
-->
@Melcharaz
I think I agree with what you said. 
Melcharaz
Melcharaz
-->
@coal
thank you. but prez-hilton seems to have more credible knowledge on these things than i do.
i just know its fake, he (seems to) know HOW its fake.

time will tell.
Savant
Debates: 23
Savant
-->
@coal
True. Anecdotal evidence for this sort of thing goes both ways, so it's not very useful.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@coal
This is the price society pays for handing problematic people with a 40% suicide attempt rate to corporate medical interests.

I think deep down they knew some of those suicidal young people would grow up and decide to take some of us with them but pushing a profitable narrative of conversion therapies was too much to resist.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@coal
Transgenderism is a mental illness, and we should prevent them from owning firearms.

You take a group where close to half are suicidal and self-mutilating and democrats convince them they are the victims of “genocide”. Don’t know what they expected to happen

coal
coal
-->
@Greyparrot
I think what you are saying is that "gender reassignment surgery is the new conversion therapy."  If that is what you are saying, I agree. 
coal
coal
-->
@bmdrocks21
There is no world where I am going to empower the government to define groups of people who they can deny constitutional rights to, based on the determinations of alleged "experts."  

The government cannot have that level of power.  

That same argument was made about people on the no fly list after 9/11. 

At the time, no one thought (other than me) that twenty years later, the FBI would turn the so-called "war" on terror against Donald Trump's supporters.  
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@coal
I would think with your personal experiences that you would see the connection. I would love to hear your thoughts on what motivates the current fad of conversion therapy for dysphoric people. Specifically how society used to insist a gay man could (and should) be converted into a straight man and society now insists a masculine woman (or girl) must be converted into a man.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@coal
There is no world where I am going to empower the government to define groups of people who they can deny constitutional rights to, based on the determinations of alleged "experts."  
Amen.
IwantRooseveltagain
Debates: 0
IwantRooseveltagain
Swimming pools, cars, sharks, oceans, toys, peanuts, dirt bikes, and dogs kill plenty of children.  But we do not ban them, because we understand that instrumentalities of causing harm are not the problem.
Swimming pools, cars, dirt bikes, toys, are all regulated for safety.

If a dog kills a child it is put down. Dogs have to be licensed.

Oceans have been mitigated at the beach with life guards, education programs like Junior Guards, closures during rip tides and sharks present

There are very strict regulations on peanuts at restaurants and food processing plants.

Gee, everything in this country is regulated except guns.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@bmdrocks21
Transgenderism is a mental illness,
I think you meant to say Trumpism

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
Gee, everything in this country is regulated except guns.
Wow, you’re so intelligent Mr. Roosevelt. I never knew we didn’t regulate guns.

There must be zero gun laws and there isn’t a bureaucratic law enforcement group called the bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives! 

I guess I’ll go buy a 6 trillion round clip and full auto short barreled rifle from the local gun vending machine
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@bmdrocks21
I guess I’ll go buy a 6 trillion round clip and full auto short barreled rifle from the local gun vending machine
You could, couldn’t you, because there are no national laws on magazine capacity in this country. Right?

State laws are useless, because guns travel across state lines as easy as automobiles.

And you and other idiots like you are arguing for no gun laws. No gun restrictions. No background checks, no training requirements, no wait periods,
no nothing. 
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
Roosevelt: can I buy a short barreled rifle at will? Can it be full auto without special permissions? Are there required background checks for business selling firearms? Is there a bureau called the ATF?

How are these not regulations?

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
And you and other idiots like you are arguing for no gun laws. 
Please point to where I said that

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@bmdrocks21
Can it be full auto without special permissions?
You are the idiots that say laws don’t work because criminals won’t follow the law.

We banned automatic weapons (ostensibly) and now we never see them used in crimes. We could do the exact same thing for semiautomatic weapons.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@bmdrocks21
Please point to where I said that
Are you a RINO?

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
You are the idiots that say laws don’t work because criminals won’t follow the law.
It worked on all people that wish to be law abiding citizens- the vast majority of gun owners.

We banned automatic weapons (ostensibly) and now we never see them used in crimes. We could do the exact same thing for semiautomatic weapons.
Have you not heard of Glock switches? A small piece of metal turns a Glock fully automatic. And guess what- only criminals have them

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@bmdrocks21
So do you want guns regulated at a national level or not?

And what do we do when a law abiding citizen with an AR15 and a hundred round drum magazine goes nuts and decides to kill a bunch of people?
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@bmdrocks21
 A small piece of metal turns a Glock fully automatic.

If you have training and knowledge to make such a modification which most people don’t 

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
So do you want guns regulated at a national level or not?
Sure. Violent felons shouldn’t be able to own guns. That’s a national regulation.

Do I support arbitrary magazine size bans or arbitrary short barrel rifle bans? No.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
If you have training and knowledge to make such a modification which most people don’t
If low-IQ gang members in Chicago can do it, it must not be hard. They aren’t manufacturing them. There is very very little work for installing them

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@bmdrocks21
Sure. Violent felons shouldn’t be able to own guns. That’s a national regulation.
Well the gun industry/lobby opposes such a regulation. Did you know that?

“Under federal law, people with felony convictions forfeit their right to bear arms. Yet every year, thousands of felons across the country have those rights reinstated, often with little or no review. In several states, they include people convicted of violent crimes, including first-degree murder and manslaughter, an examination by The New York Times has found”
- NYT 11/13/2011

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@bmdrocks21
If low-IQ gang members in Chicago can do it, it must not be hard. They aren’t manufacturing them. There is very very little work for installing them

Bullshit. Prove it.