AMA (YYW)

Author: coal

Total: 664
coal
Debates: 6
coal
-->
@KingLaddy01
I'm not sure what you mean by the 'tenants' of social democracy. 

Best to just link the video... 
KingLaddy01
Debates: 0
KingLaddy01
-->
@coal
Sorry... autocorrect.

I meant to say "tenets"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7KMYXDGj6e0 I advise watching 20-25 minutes if you aren't interested in the whole video. 

coal
coal
-->
@KingLaddy01
He has almost no basis for any of the positions that he's said; more or less the beginning and end of what he's said is "Nope! Can't do it here!" He has neither concrete reasons for explaining why he thinks that population differences sufficiently preclude mixed market welfare states from being able to implement similar policies to, say, Norway; nor does he have anything approximating a coherent basis for his opposition to universal health care. 

What he does is he picks a few topics on which he thinks he knows something about; says a bunch fo things that to anyone who has a more global (by which I mean, all-encompassing as contrasted from a unidimensional or myopic) perspective could possibly recognize as being sufficient to support the claims he's making, then parades his conclusion around as if it were inscribed on Mount Sini on stone tablets.  

Further, the lack of transparency in medical pricing is an argument for socialized medicine; not an argument against it.  But, because Shapiro is sort of like an angry little brat of a commenter, he is too caught up in his ideological bubble to realize how inexcusably ignorant he really is.  And, to be clear, that's what this comes down to: basic ignorance.

Universal health care is the economically efficient option, as is proven by every country on earth who has it versus every country on earth in the first world that does not.  So, that's the "forrest" that Shapiro misses for the "trees" of things like medical pricing.

That's not to say that capitalism is bad, either.  Capitalism does a lot of good for a lot of things; but unregulated or insufficiently regulated capitalism leads to very bad things; like the state of things now. 

warren42
Debates: 2
warren42
1. You've probably gotten this already but who would you like to see as the Democratic nominee in 2020?

2. You've been bullish on Trump's impeachment. Many of your predictions haven't come true in a timely manner. How do you feel now?

3. Do you think Clinton will run again?

4. If you could choose one Republican that would be our next president, who would you most like (or least hate) to see?

5. If you had to pick ONE thing that has been Trump's worst effect on our country, what would it be?

6. If you had to pick ONE thing that has been Trump's best effect on our country, what would it be?

7. Why did you not make your username YYW again? Why did you make it coal?

8. How do you think the shutdown affected the policy topic? Has it shifted the balance in any way? What about now that the shutdown is over but another one allegedly looms?

9. Who would win in a fight in a larger UFC-style cage? A polar bear or a gorilla? (For reference gorillas have stronger bite strength and are stronger, but polar bears are larger and heavier)

10. Is Pulp Fiction an overrated movie?
coal
coal
-->
@warren42
All excellent questions.

>1. You've probably gotten this already but who would you like to see as the Democratic nominee in 2020?

Ideally, Richard Ojeda.  But, he's already dropped out.  If not him, then I'll be very happy to put my support for Kamila Harris.  She isn't perfect, but no one is.  She's bar none not only the most likely to beat Trump due to her ability to heard the cats that represent the rivaling factions within the DNC, but also one of the most ethically upstanding people in the DNC.  She's basically a female Jed Bartlett, and has my support 100%.  

coal
coal
-->
@warren42
>2. You've been bullish on Trump's impeachment. Many of your predictions haven't come true in a timely manner. How do you feel now?

That's the six million dollar question right now, isn't it?  lol

Realistically, I don't know.  I don't even think Clinton knows.  Hillary has a lot of legitimate grievances and scores to settle with Republicans, and with fellow Democrats.  But, at the end of the day, fully expect her to realize that her candidacy would hurt the Democratic party and help Trump gain re-election (and probably strengthen his resistance to impeachment).  So, given that, she likely will decide against it. 

coal
coal
-->
@warren42
>4. If you could choose one Republican that would be our next president, who would you most like (or least hate) to see?

There is no Republican in the field who I would vote for over almost any democrat in the field.  The only democratic matchups in the field are non-contenders, like Kirsten Gillibrand.  I would certainly rather see someone who was not totally insane (like Mitt Romney) in office over someone that was out of her mind like Gillibrand.  Same with Ellison, and that disgusting congresswoman from Minnesota... whose name I forget.  

coal
coal
-->
@warren42
>5. If you had to pick ONE thing that has been Trump's worst effect on our country, what would it be?

The extent to which Trump has normalized non-facts, identity politics, and conspiracy theories; as well as the degree of his basic ignorance in relation to every issue of consequence with respect to which he has to make decisions.  He is the most incompetent president we have ever had, worse even than Jimmy Carter.  

coal
coal
-->
@warren42
7. Why did you not make your username YYW again? Why did you make it coal?

Coal was a multiaccount I had on DDO.  It is the only multiaccount I had on DDO, and I like the username.  Initially, I didn't have a reason for the name "coal" in particular; but the more I thought about it, the more I came to realize why on a subconscious level the name resonated.

By the time I made the "coal" account on DDO, I realized that I was past my prime.  While I was one of the most prominent users on DDO, the fact was that because I was less active and engaged I was becoming irrelevant.  Much like coal was once the indispensable power source in the United States, so too was I an indispensable member of DDO.  Yet, just as coal became obsolete; so too did I.

Here, I entered the site as an irrelevant user.  I did not join until many months after the site had been up, and I did not use this account until many months later than that.  I have not sought nor would I seek to occupy anything approximating the same social position or level of prominence here that I held on DDO (which is not, after all, to say that being anyone who mattered on DDO meant anything after all... it did not).  

In any event, the I like coal am an irrelevant power source.  What I have to offer this site is fundamentally not what this site seems to want; which is primarily a site for kids who like to trade fairly shallow political banter.  That is not only something I have no interest in doing; it is something that I refuse to do and recognize in whole as a waste of time.  

For those few who are interested in meaningful consideration of a very discrete set of issues I'm willing to talk about now, they might find something interesting in some of the things I have to say.  But, I've said my piece over and again ten score on DDO.  There is simply nothing left for me here, or in a place like this.

One of these mornings, it won't be very long, they will look for me and I'll be gone.  -- Patti LaBelle

coal
coal
>You've been bullish on Trump's impeachment. Many of your predictions haven't come true in a timely manner. How do you feel now?

I've been thinking about this question in the background while I answered the others; and from the start it is necessary to clarify that most of my predictions have not matured yet, such that the timeframe I predicted was the summer-fall of 2019 for nearly everything of significance to unfold.  Of the major predictions I've made, though: (1) Democrats retook the house; (2) nearly everyone in Trump's campaign has been indicted; (3) the evidence overwhelmingly indicates that there are more indictments to come; and (4) impeachment is in the horizon still.  

coal
coal
-->
@warren42
>How do you think the shutdown affected the policy topic? Has it shifted the balance in any way? What about now that the shutdown is over but another one allegedly looms?

Trump's essential miscalculation was that he did not anticipate how his base would perceive the shutdown's impact on federal workers.  He didn't even consider that his base might empathize with people who were forced out of work by his intransigence.  It turns out that they do, and Trump lost about 1/5th of those supporters who remain because of it. This is a political battle Trump thought he could win, and will invariably lose.  If he tries this again, he will lose more and he will lose harder.  For this reason, I welcome a second shutdown.  

>Who would win in a fight in a larger UFC-style cage? A polar bear or a gorilla? (For reference gorillas have stronger bite strength and are stronger, but polar bears are larger and heavier)

Depends on the climate.  In the cold, the bear would win.  In the jungle, the gorilla would win.  In so many respects, this is a metaphor for war between Russia and India.  

>Is Pulp Fiction an overrated movie?

Yes.
warren42
warren42
For the shutdown question I meant the policy debate topic, sorry if that wasn’t clear.
KingLaddy01
KingLaddy01
-->
@coal
Why is Pulp Fiction an overrated movie?

Name a movie that you feel is underrated.

coal
coal
-->
@KingLaddy01
Pulp Fiction wasn't as good as everyone holds it out to be; more or less, it had no plot and existed only for the thrill of graphic violence.  Which, of course, was the point.

Cloud Atlas is the most underrated movie of all time.

coal
coal
-->
@warren42
I don't understand your question, then.... perhaps rephrase?
warren42
warren42
-->
@coal
The high school debate event policy
coal
coal
-->
@warren42
Oh... idk then... 

I don't see how it would change that debate
warren42
warren42
-->
@coal
I judged only one policy round at state this past weekend but NEG ran a Shutdown DA focused on the fact that since immigration is such a contentious topic any minor changes will lead to a prolonging of the shutdown and millions starving due to lack of access to food stamps and millions being evicted because they can’t pay rent without their government paycheck or HUD assistance. Didn’t know if this was common now.
coal
coal
-->
@warren42
tbh I think that's a really poor argument... 
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@coal
It's very interesting you brought up the idea of mass suicides. I actually use that idea for a lot of reasons in what i believe. But to address it from your beliefs point of view.... i don't think, even if we knew heaven is great, Christians would kill themselves. Bc if they do, they aren't going to heaven... they would be going to hell. So i don't think it is a factor in Christianity. 

However, with my belief... it is a huge factor for 2 reasons. One, death is only a reset. You become your higher self and from there you manifest into another mortal experience. So, with some caveats, suicide wouldn't throw you into a hell. It will just stop your life here and you'll start a new life. And, if my other ideas are right, than not only will you become immortal, but in your immortal higher self, you can decide to have whatever experience you can imagine for your next life. There is caveats such as your state of mind at death, how conscious you are of this ability, etc. But if all goes right, death by any means is heaven. That's why it's so important for the second factor. If we had proof of my belief... i most definitely believe there will be a mass suicide event... which is why i think it's so brilliant there can't be proof "at this point in human history." That is also important bc my belief makes a prediction which i see is coming true. We cannot know at this point in history bc life isn't that good for the majority in the face of basically becoming a god that people wouldn't just kill themselves. However, i think, in the future when life is so good that we can know... we will probably have proof of this platform at that point bc then we can handle it without killing ourselves. And coincidentally, i think the future where this is possible is when we have fully integrated with machines and can download ourselves into whatever simulation we can think of... which is interesting bc we will basically create what we are already doing here. I think finding out this spiritual truth will come when we have the knowledge to create and download consciousness. Only at that time can we know what we really are without a mass suicide event. It has to be unproven until then.   
coal
coal
-->
@Outplayz
There is no indication that damnation is a punishment for suicide, anywhere in the Bible or within any realm of competent theology.  That's a weak, and unsophisticated argument.  There were many, many other problems I have with what you said, but this was the first and one of the most glaring.  We will explore why.

All sins are forgivable other than denial of the Holy Spirit, which is the sole suggestion of the limits of God's grace in the Bible.  Even then, we do not know the limits of God's grace.  To the extent you claim that suicide mandates damnation, you are not only assuming that there are limits but that you know those limits; and, the limits which you know are drawn at suicide.   You will find exactly no support for that proposition, anywhere in the Bible.  To the extent that any verse can be misconstrued to suggest that, there are other more probable interpretations and there are other verses which would contradict that interpretation. 

Theologically, there are obvious irreconcilabilities with that proposition.  Here are two examples that illustrate those, from the perspective of agency:

First, consider for a moment the implications, as well, of the proposition that suicide mandates damnation.  What are the additional circumstances that control?  Does it only mandate damnation if the suicide occurred after one reached the age of accountability, whatever that was, for them?  How could you know that such a person would reach that age or had reached that age by the time they'd committed suicide?  

Second, consider a suicide committed as a result of physiologically observable chemical imbalances in the brain due either to clinical or major depressive disorder; or, alternatively, poorly treated depression where someone was given something like Zoloft or Lexapro and that gave them the will to end it all.  Is something outside the scope of your control something sufficient to merit damnation?  Hardly, even if you buy into the theory of free will.  

In the big picture, original sin and human fallenness is the cause that is independently sufficient to justify damnation; which, as the scriptures make clear, is well within the bounds of God's grace to forgive; as is any action taken in life, which is secondary to original sin.  In that suicide is an act taken in life secondary to original sin, even if the intent was to end life itself, that too is by definition within the known bounds of God's grace. 

So, it turns out that there is a range of God's grace that is known.  Anything within the realm of that is forgivable, and suicide falls well within that scope.  But, there is not a reason to assume that the known bounds are the same thing as the limits of God's grace.  But, if something is well within the known bounds, then it must also be within whatever limits known or unknown may but do not necessarily exist.  

In this way, for you to assume that suicide falls outside both the known bounds and unknown limits is beyond preposterous.  Now, I also know that the idea that suicide mandates damnation is not originally your idea; because invariably you heard it from someone else, whose theological hubris and dogmatism was likely so palpable it was unknown to them (much as water is unown to a fish, because the water is all they know).  So, I'm not saying you're a bad person or a heretic or anything like that... despite my tone.  That is because I don't give you credit for this idea which I know is not yours.  You probably heard it from like... idk... some priest or firebrand minister or something.  

coal
coal
-->
@Outplayz
>One, death is only a reset. You become your higher self and from there you manifest into another mortal experience. So, with some caveats, suicide wouldn't throw you into a hell. It will just stop your life here and you'll start a new life. 

I don't buy any of that, but for reasons that would probably be highly unsatisfying to you.  
Earth
Debates: 4
Earth
-->
@coal
Thoughts on 20 hour work weeks, or something of that sort? 
Earth
Earth
-->
@coal
Can you go into detail how Bernie's healthcare plan would work?
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@coal
You probably heard it from like... idk... some priest or firebrand minister or something.  
Yes i did here it from most Christians. And that is the thing, not the nuances. You may be right about the nuances, and i agree there are different levels of suicide and that even the Christians telling me this would agree shouldn't deserve hell, but... if we only look at a suicide which is merely a rage quite of life, most Christians would advertise that is hell punishable. Plus, if we add in knowing the truth... i'm sure most priest would teach to not commit suicide bc knowing is a gift or something and throwing it away is punishable. In any case, that is nothing like my belief which is what i'm trying to say. There really is no punishment as i see it, so people can kill themselves for whatever reason. So, if we are measuring how many people would kill themselves if they knew either my truth or Christian truth... i think there would be a lot more suicides on my end and not Christians. Sure, some of them might see it as you do and still commit suicide... but i think the vast majority are under the impression it is hell punishable therefore wouldn't kill themselves. Whether they are interpreting it right or wrong doesn't matter, it's still widely held that suicide is a no no in Christian circles. 

I don't buy any of that, but for reasons that would probably be highly unsatisfying to you.  
Well, it's my belief. I already understand you don't buy it since you're Christian. But that doesn't make me any less wrong. I'm quite confident you don't know what will happen in death. Plus, i can justify all of my belief systems. I didn't just choose to believe what i do willy nilly. I have reasons. You can tell me your reasons for not finding it logical? I am curious. I've never heard a sufficient enough reason to doubt this is one of the most logical platforms (i do believe in some others). When i say "believe" it might throw you off since i'm agnostic. What i mean by 'i believe something' is that 'i highly suspect' it. Pantheistic type of platforms are currently among the most logical to me... which is this one i shared.  
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@coal
What do you think of this article?

coal
coal
-->
@Earth
> 20 Hour Work Week

I think a 20 hour work week would be very bad for most people.  That is about 1/3 of the hours I work, and about 1/2 of what a full time job is.  People need free time, but not that much free time.

> Bernie's health care plan

Medicare for all, you mean?

Earth
Earth
-->
@coal
Medicare for all, you mean?

Yeah.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
Pls. list five favorite alien (non-human) cultures from any Sci-Fi media.
Earth
Earth
-->
@coal
What does "denial of the Holy Spirit" mean?