Author: YouFound_Lxam

Total: 67
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@hey-yo
Well stated.

I like the fact that you don't just argue the toss with the same old emotive rhetoric.

And for sure, we can compartmentalise anything and make a special case for it.

Therefore all killing is the same but different.

I personally cannot differentiate between the life within a tomato and the life within a zygote. (Rather than the life of a tomato or zygote).

Can you actually pinpoint the essence of life, and then say that the life within structure A. is completely different to that within structure B.

If not then the whole abortion argument, really just boils down to the interpretation of concepts.

Morality, and  Law for example.

And often tinged with more than a smattering of religion.

hey-yo
Debates: 24
hey-yo
-->
@zedvictor4
Can you actually pinpoint the essence of life, and then say that the life within structure A. is completely different to that within structure B
Im not sure what that is or means. What is rhe essense of or essense in life? 

Historically humans have always seperated ourselves from animals and plants for one reason or another. What would be an essense of life in humans?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@hey-yo
What is life?

As opposed to what is a life.

What fundamentally makes structures A and B work.

hey-yo
hey-yo
-->
@zedvictor4
"what makes a and b work?"
Their biology makes them work if work means their ability to live or function. 

"what is life"  vs. a life
Are you talking about quality or experience?  I see that as what occurs for an organism. How do you view it?

What occurs for any given organism can be many things. Depends on what is involved for that organism because each organism is different.  Even if said organism is unable to register that experience or lacks sentience. 

We can consider the early developmental stage(s) of diverse organism from jelly fish, horse, kangaroo, bird, and human. Each does its own thing. Each individual organism begins, exists, and continues to exist with similar bioligical functions, but differ in how/when/where they develop. Maybe can even add why to that. Their experience (another word may be better suited) is their own. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@hey-yo
Well, biology is a that which makes up a living structure, and processes and functions within a structure maintain the structure.

So that basically describes a living structure.

But doesn't pinpoint what life actually is.

So here's a different approach to the question.

What was it that initiated  the very first living entity/ entities.

And what perpetuated them.
hey-yo
hey-yo
-->
@zedvictor4
1. From a neutral position. I dont know what initiated the first living thing. Some biological compound merge, develop, divided into more complex compounds

2. The thing that perpetuated first living things? Thats a phenomenom.  
That thurned into an innate instict.  

What would you say pinpoints what life is?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@hey-yo
What would you say pinpoints what life is?
Well, I never claim to know.

Though Zeds regard to everything is:

The dichotomy is, chance or purpose.

Therefore life was either a Random coalescence of chemistry and energy and is therefore ultimately meaningless.

Or, the sequence of events that Zed regards as universal material evolution, dictates that life is an inevitable consequence of universal development, and therefore meaningful within that context. In so much as life is an essential phase  and motivator of material development and progress. What I loosely refer to as the GOD principle.