What nation is a real global threat?

Author: Greyparrot

Total: 15
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot

If you believe DC is currently run by Chinese puppets, then right wing media has melted your brain.
Best.Korea
Debates: 271
Best.Korea
The war with China might not be a good idea, and placing nuclear submarines next to their country might not encourage peace.

Remember, China is the world's biggest navy, but they dont place their bases next to USA.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
Countries by navy:

People's Republic of China: 730

Russia: 598

North Korea: 519

United States of America: 484
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
Actually, if you go by tonnage , the USA has a much larger Navy.  Because of these complications, any estimate that includes only a total number of available ships, with no accounting for ship type or condition, will fall far short of telling the full story. In an attempt to better estimate the overall power of a given navy, some analysts turn to tonnage, which is a measure of the amount of water a ship displaces or the amount of cargo it can carry, which are both indirect measurements of a ship's overall mass.
Top 10 Most Powerful Navies in the World (by total tonnage - 2014):
  1. United States - 3,415,893
  2. Russia - 845,739
  3. China - 708,886
  4. Japan - 413,800
  5. United Kingdom - 367,850
  6. France - 319,195
  7. India - 317,725
  8. South Korea - 178,710
  9. Italy - 173,549
  10. Taiwan - 151,662

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
Arguable as the advances in modern naval warfare has shifted operational lethality from carriers to smaller destroyers.

The Chinese vessels were armed with some of the most modern systems available including H/LJG-346A 'Dragon Eye’ active electronically scanned array (AESA) radars, HQ-16, HHQ-9, HHQ-10 and DK-10A surface to air missiles and a number of cutting edge anti ship and anti submarine warfare systems and a revolutionary new modular vertical launch systems (VLS) among other assets.

The Type 055 continues to evolve - with the PLA planning to deploy both anti satellite missiles and electromagnetic railguns among other next generation technologies to further enhanced the platform’s capabilities and increase its advantage over rival platforms. No Western power has yet to design a similarly capable platform capable of challenging the Type 055
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@FLRW
North Korean "Haeil" is many many times smaller than a carrier, but can cause radioactive tsunami.

How does one intercept a radioactive tsunami?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Best.Korea
Or a railgun that can be fired 100 miles.
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
The problem with the American navy is their ships are built for quickly destroying shitholes countries. The mega ships are actually a liability 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
Yeah, a few slugs from a rail gun and you can subtract 120,000 tons of a ship.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Best.Korea
>:)
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
The problem of the US is to think that domination relies on military power, which is wrong because we're in a different context.

I don't see the US as a threat but China. China is using the economy as a mean for domination, investing vast amounts of money in Africa, Latinamerica and any needed country. The goal of China is to make the world depend on them.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@IlDiavolo
What makes you say the USA doesn't identify culture/trade/money/political influence as threats?

For example, America used influence and money as cards against Russia, in Ukraine conflict, rather than direct combat.
That'd imply they understand it as a variable, I'd think?

@Topic
Personally I see all nations as protentional threats,
Just varies,
Since nations change, in populace, leadership, beliefs, and culture,
Sometimes they get homicidal, suicidal, assimilating,

Even in ancient times this would be a concern to keep in mind,
Though more often for immediate neighbors,
But often there'd be a far off threat traveling near,
Whether the Sea People, Macedonians, Mongols, Romans,

But tech and society improves, so everyone kept getting closer,
Communication through telegraphs, cell phones, internet, ships, trains, planes, and automobiles.
. . .

Not to mention how 'violence capabilities have improved,
Guns, and guns, and bigger guns,
Nukes, AI, and Bioweapons,

Modern technology often worries me, because I don't understand it,
So I can't tell what's true or not,
Lately it's been genetic stuff,

There's been a 'lot of genocidal leaders in history,
Lot of crazy one's too,
'And followers,
. . .

One doesn't even need to be 'crazy to destroy, though Hitler was pretty crazy I think,
. . . 

I'm rambling,
I've no sudden end of the Earth predictions, can't even tell what the odds 'are,
But always seems to be the dice are rolling,
And I expect it to hit a bad number 'someday,
Not necessarily while I'm alive, though they could.

And there's been plenty of smaller conflicts, that are bad in themselves,
. . .

What is meant by a 'Global Threat though?
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Lemming
What I'm trying to say is that China is using a different approach to dominate the world. The US has long been opening a lot of military bases to bring "democracy" around the world, which in my opinion is not necessary anymore because things have changed a lot since the cold war. Maybe it's necessary for particular cases like the Russia of Putin, but in general the world understands that war is not the best way to solve conflicts.

China has increased the trade and investments in Africa, but the africans are totally unaware that China is going to intervene more in their political affairs, and they won't be able to do anything because China is their best partner. It's not a matter of money, by the way, because China is investing strategically, thinking in a possible world war and their potential enemies like the US or India, that's why they invest in sea ports or power plants.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@IlDiavolo
I'd agree there are multiple ways to spread influence.

I don't know what the best way to solve conflicts is,
But war is certainly 'a way, and one not outdated,
Not outdated in aggression,
And if not outdated in aggression,
'Definitely not outdated in defense.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick, you will go far".
- Theodore Roosevelt

'Does become a balance though,
To much invested in military, means other options aren't receiving the needed funding,
No military, makes being conquered easier,
Though admittedly countries can get rid of their military and hide behind other countries to an 'extent.
. . .

Again though, I 'agree,
That there are many methods to increase influence, make allies, trading partners, dependents.

sadolite
sadolite
I would say the US govt is the greatest threat to the world. Not the people of the country, the Govt. I would go as far to say all govts are the greatest threat to the world. People just generally want to be left the fuck alone and live their lives in all countries. All bad things come from govts not everyday run of the mill people ruled by them. Power over people breeds evil.