Author: oromagi

Total: 18
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
APNEWS:
MONTANA TRANSGENDER LAWMAKER BARRED by GOP from HOUSE FLOOR
By AMY BETH HANSON, SAM METZ and MATTHEW BROWN

HELENA, Mont. (AP) — Montana Republicans barred transgender lawmaker Zooey Zephyr from the House floor for the rest of the 2023 session on Wednesday in retaliation for her rebuking colleagues – and then participating in protests – after they voted to ban gender-affirming care for children.

The punishment marks the first time in nearly half a century that Montana lawmakers have sought to censure one of their own. It caps a weeklong standoff between her and House Republican leaders and formalizes their decision to not let Zephyr speak since she said those supportive of such a ban would have blood on their hands.

Zephyr will be able to vote and participate in committees, but not discuss proposals and amendments that are under consideration with the full House. The legislative session is set to end in early May.

The fight over Zephyr’s remarks has brought the nationwide debate over protest’s role in democracy to Montana, where lawmakers punished her for voicing dissent, an increasingly prevalent move in statehouses. In supporting Zephyr’s attempts to regain her voice, protesters interrupted proceedings earlier this week by chanting “Let her Speak” in a boisterous rally that came after they protested outside the Capitol and unfurled a banner that read “Democracy Dies Here.”

After days of rebuffing Zephyr’s request to speak, Republican leaders finally granted her the floor to give a statement before they ultimately voted to censure her Wednesday. She said her initial “blood on your hands” remark and subsequent decision to hoist a microphone into the air toward protesters in the House gallery were an effort to stand up for the LGBTQ+ community and her 11,000 constituents in Missoula.

House Speaker Matt Regier’s decision to turn off her microphone, she said, was an attempt to drive “a nail in the coffin of democracy.”

“If you use decorum to silence people who hold you accountable, then all you’re doing is using decorum as a tool of oppression,” Zephyr told her colleagues.
House Republicans who supported barring Zephyr from the floor have accused her of placing lawmakers and staff at risk of harm for disrupting House proceedings and inciting protests in the chamber on Monday.

But lawmakers were on the floor Monday when protesters were in the gallery, and there have been no reports of damage to the building.

“Freedom in this body involves obedience to all the rules of this body, including the rules of decorum,” House Majority Leader Sue Vinton said.

Authorities arrested seven people in the confrontation, who Zephyr said were defending democracy. Her opponents said ensuring government can conduct business on behalf of the people without interruption was a critical precedent to set.

“This is an assault on our representative democracy, spirited debate, and the free expression of ideas cannot flourish in an atmosphere of turmoil and incivility,” Republican David Bedey said on the House floor.

The episode comes weeks after two Black lawmakers, Tennessee state Reps. Justin Jones and Justin Pearson, were expelled for participating in a protest in favor of gun control after another school shooting. Similarly, Zephyr’s punishment has ignited a firestorm of debate about governance and who has a voice in an elected body during this politically polarizing time.

Post-expulsion, the fate of the two Tennessee lawmakers were sent to their county commissions, which swiftly voted to reinstate them. Zephyr told The Associated Press after the vote that Republican leaders were likely aware that a similar sequence of events could be triggered, had they expelled her.

“My community and the Democratic Party in Missoula would send me back here in a heartbeat because I represent them and I represent their values by standing up for democracy,” she said.

The censure comes two days after protesters later packed into the gallery at the Statehouse and brought House proceedings to a halt chanting “Let her speak” as Zephyr lifted her microphone toward them. Seven subsequent arrests galvanized both her supporters and those saying Zephyr’s actions constitute an unacceptable attack on civil discourse.

“There needs to be some consequences for what he has been doing,” said Rep. Joe Read, who frequently but inconsistently used incorrect pronouns when referring to Zephyr.

He claimed Zephyr gave a signal to her supporters just before Monday’s session was disrupted. He declined to say what that was other than a “strange movement.”
“When she gave the signal for protesters to go into action, I would say that’s when decorum was incredibly broken,” Read added.

Zephyr told the AP that she felt the moment was calling on her to stand up for democracy.

“Every time that one of these votes came; every time the speaker refused to allow me to speak; when the protesters came and demanded, my thought was twofold,” she said. “Pride in those who stood up to defend democracy and a hope that in some small way, I could rise to that moment individually and do the work they sent me to do.”

Best.Korea
Debates: 266
Best.Korea
Oh no, where are the puppies
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
All I know is that Gender affirming care hurts children and that people who want it done are evil for putting identity politics over the well being of children.

They know it hurts children also, which is why they are trying to create laws that prevent doctors from being sued by these children when the become adults for provable harm.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
All I know is that Gender affirming care hurts children and that people who want it done are evil for putting identity politics over the well being of children.
  • We liberals oppose the notion of big government telling doctors and patients what is good medicine,  when governments are clearly less qualified.  In this case we have professional public and private healthcare workers overwhelmingly advocating the advantages and of this therapy and on the other side we have big government not giving a damn, making shit up.  Sorry, but poltiicans are liars.  I'm going to trust the doctors in this case.

ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
Funny how he wasn't fomenting insurrection, suddenly it's democratic to storm the legislature during a session.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@oromagi
Why would you give a 7 yr old "gender affirming" care meaning shove highly experimental hormones down their throat rather than just letting these kids who still thinks Santa clause is real to be pushed into a life altering path to mutilate them?

Plenty of doctors think "gender affirming" care is harmful. The fact that woke activists control the conversation and only doctors who agree with that movement are incentivized to speak up, doesn't make it right, and quite frankly you are an evil piece of shit if you think it's appropriate to encourage a more socially acceptable form of Munchausen by proxy that is equally as damaging as to what happened to Gypsy Rose. 

Had Gypsy Rose's mom and her were born just 15 years later, this is what they would be doing.  
sadolite
sadolite
If space aliens visited the earth for the first time and watched TV they would think half the population wants to get a sex change operation.
b9_ntt
Debates: 2
b9_ntt
-->
@oromagi
I'm for standing up for democracy, and I'm also for following the rules of wherever you are.
After a warning, I would have taken the protest outside the House chamber.
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@sadolite
If space aliens visited the earth for the first time and watched TV they would think half the population wants to get a sex change operation.
Yes, and transgender people are less than one half of one percent of the population.  For the life of me, I will never understand how this has become the central political issue for so many people.  I don't see this "issue" affecting any of the people who are so outraged about it.  

What ever happened to "live and let live", what happened to "mind your own business", what happened to "you do your thing and I'll do mine". 

How did we let the politicians make a half percent of the population take up so much space in the sheeple's heads. 

I really don't understand it one bit.

sadolite
sadolite
In other political news. I don't know if this is true or not because I don't believe anything the news media reports. But time will most certainly prove its authenticity.

"A Washington Post report claims that the DNC has resolved not to hold primary debates — a move that has drawn the ire of leftists such as former Ohio state senator Nina Turner, who decries the decision as “undemocratic.” By denying Kennedy and Williamson the opportunity to articulate their ideas in a public forum, the Democratic Party risks appearing overtly self-serving and dismissive of democratic norms. Furthermore, engaging in open debates could afford Biden the opportunity to address substantive criticisms and demonstrate his policy accomplishments.
By deciding against holding primary debates, the DNC is effectively silencing dissenting voices and perpetuating the status quo. This move hampers the exchange of ideas and stifles the democratic process, which is fundamental to the American political system. The absence of debates also prevents voters from making informed decisions, as they are denied the opportunity to hear alternative perspectives and evaluate candidates based on their performance in a public forum. This decision is eerily reminiscent of the 2016 Democratic primaries, where the DNC was accused of favoring Hillary Clinton over Bernie Sanders, limiting the number of debates, and scheduling them during less-viewed time slots.
The decision not to hold primary debates can be seen as an act of voter suppression and censorship, as it effectively denies voters the chance to hear from candidates other than the incumbent. By excluding challengers like Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Marianne Williamson from the public discourse, the DNC is attempting to control the narrative and maintain its grip on power. This move also serves to protect the party establishment and prevent any potential disruptions to their preferred candidate’s path to the nomination. In doing so, the DNC is undermining the democratic process and disempowering voters, as they are left with little choice but to accept the party’s anointed candidate."
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Sidewalker
What ever happened to "live and let live", what happened to "mind your own business", what happened to "you do your thing and I'll do mine".
That ended when you circumcised me 😀 and forced me to get vaccinated 😀 and then tried to force your ideology on me 😀 where misgendering gets me fired 😀 plus you kinda meddle in everyone's life and then complain when others meddle in yours 😀 You do realize that you cant raise a child without meddling in child's life, so your ideology of "non-meddling" is nonsense along with your castration ideology 😀.
Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@Best.Korea
What ever happened to "live and let live", what happened to "mind your own business", what happened to "you do your thing and I'll do mine".
That ended when you circumcised me 😀 and forced me to get vaccinated 😀 and then tried to force your ideology on me 😀 where misgendering gets me fired 😀 plus you kinda meddle in everyone's life and then complain when others meddle in yours 😀 You do realize that you cant raise a child without meddling in child's life, so your ideology of "non-meddling" is nonsense along with your castration ideology 😀.
Total whack job incoherence.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Sidewalker
Sorry, forgot to make it dumb so that you can understand 😊
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Sidewalker
The truth is most of us tried this. You woke idiots turned a bunch of libertarians into rightwingers when you proved live and let live was not what you guys wanted to do. 

Libertarian

"I see all people as equal

Leftists repeatedly calling libertarians bigoted

Libertarians after being exhausted

"Fine, fuck nigger and fags"

You made your bed sleep in it
Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
The truth is most of us tried this. You woke idiots turned a bunch of libertarians into rightwingers when you proved live and let live was not what you guys wanted to do. 

Libertarian

"I see all people as equal

Leftists repeatedly calling libertarians bigoted

Libertarians after being exhausted

"Fine, fuck nigger and fags"

You made your bed sleep in it
Man, you have the greatest drugs.

I'm jealous
Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@Best.Korea
Sorry, forgot to make it dumb so that you can understand 😊
You didn't forget, the post was incredibly dumb.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@oromagi
Penises and vaginas.

Still as hung up as ever on penises and vaginas and what to do with them.

Isn't it ironic that GOODO made em both reproduction bits and pissing bits.

And then there's the anus!

Hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahaha, laughed GODDO.

Bring on asexual AI is what I say.

And leave humanity floundering about in a metaphorical sea of it's own discharge.

And it says that Zooey Zephyr is trans-sexual and bisexual.

Any which way, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, laughs GODDO
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Sidewalker
You didn't forget, the post was incredibly dumb.
But you still didnt understand it?