can a christian who is saved decide not to be saved?

Author: n8nrgim

Total: 8
n8nrgim
Debates: 0
n8nrgim
some christians might say that's not possible... if they are saved, they can't be unsaved. but what about free will? i think as long as you are trying to be good and have complete faith that Jesus will save you, then you will be saved. but i think if we respect free will and all the bible passages about falling away, it's possible to become unsaved. afterall, jesus said some seeds will start growing, only to wither and die due to worldly concern. and, Hebrews 10:26. ESV says 'For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins', to say they can't lose their salvation is like saying they can't choose to sin. 

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@n8nrgim
Free will...That's a dodgy premise.

Do you think that the perpetuation of religious ideology has much to do with free will. (This is but one example of human conditioning)

Because why would you ask such an abstract question.

And will you respond to an atheist.

To which you might reply, I am free to choose.

Though I would say that your choice is always dictated by previously acquired data. What you have been taught in other words.

Ones choice is never random. Ones conscious database is always acquired from an external source.

So you might deliberately choose to react in a way that might be seen as contrary to expectation. But this still wouldn't have been a random decision.

Saved from what?
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
Why? 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@n8nrgim
can a christian who is saved decide not to be saved?

FFS!
Why ever would a devout religious Christian decide not to be saved!?  Isn't that the whole point of religious belief and devotion to the Lord Jesus Christ?
Savant
Debates: 20
Savant
-->
@n8nrgim
According to Catholic teaching, or strict Arminianism, yes. Some Protestants would probably say that being saved makes you the kind of person who wouldn't give up salvation and that free will occurs in the decision to be saved. Calvinists believe you can't lose salvation, but they don't believe in free will in that regard.
BrotherD.Thomas
BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@n8nrgim

n8nrgim,

Seriously, why are you making it so easy for me to correct your Bible Dumbness?  Are you trying to take over Miss Tradesecret's position of being the #1 Bible Stupid Fool upon this Religion Forum?

Jesus and I are pleased that you used Hebrews 10:26 that I showed you, because you didn't even know this passage existed in the first place, or you wouldn't have made the erroneous statement you did in your other thread of Bible ineptness.  Yes, seemingly the Bible inept pseudo-christian will not be saved if they continue to sin over and over again,  where Hebrews 10:26 is in total contradiction to this passage: “For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” (Romans 10:13) Whoops!  I as the ONLY TRUE CHRISTIAN upon this Religion Forum, has had to just accept Bible contradictions like this and just move on the best way that I can.

YOUR CONTINUED BIBLE STUPID QUOTE: "but i think if we respect free will and all the bible passages about falling away, it's possible to become unsaved."

You DO NOT have "Free Will" if you are a Christian, therefore READ your Bible instead of using it as a door stop!  

JESUS' INSPIRED WORDS STATE SPECIFICALLY:  “In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will,” (Ephesians 1:11)  Key word: PREDESTINED where Jesus’ Jewish creation as Christians have no free will because Jesus determines in advance to His purpose in what He wants our lives to be, get it Bible dolt?

There are many passages within the vein as the one above that show Christians DO NOT have Free Will, so quit being so Bible Stupid like Miss Tradescret!!!

Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@n8nrgim
Can a Christian who is saved decide not to be saved?

some Christians might say that's not possible... if they are saved, they can't be unsaved.
Saved from what? If the person who believes receives everlasting life, surely "everlasting" has some meaning? 

but what about free will?
We are not saved by free will and we cannot be lost by our free will. That would put salvation into our domain as opposed to God's domain. "Salvation belongs to the LORD".  Humans do have free will. But what is free will? And how does it relate to salvation? 

I think as long as you are trying to be good and have complete faith that Jesus will save you, then you will be saved.
I don't think trying to be good has anything to do with being saved.  Jesus said, no one is good but God.  If that is the situation, obeying the law won't make you good. And being good becomes pointless in relation to salvation. Hence, there must be another method of obtaining salvation.  Reformed folk suggest that God grants salvation by grace through faith.  Faith in the LORD JESUS CHRIST.   But it is not our faith that saves us.  It is God who saves us. We don't trust our faith we trust God.

but I think if we respect free will and all the bible passages about falling away, it's possible to become unsaved.
The question about losing salvation seems inept when Jesus tells us "that all that the Father has given me, will not be lost". Surely there is the implication that salvation can't be lost once it has been given? 

afterall, jesus said some seeds will start growing, only to wither and die due to worldly concern.
The parable Jesus provides says that the seed will be choked. But it doesn't say that they will be lost. They become distracted from those things which are beneficial for growth. Yet, it is only the first seeds that never take root and grow.  There are many Christians whose spiritual life has become stunted.  But are they lost to the point that they lose their salvation? I don't think that parable teaches that. 

Hebrews 10:26. ESV says 'For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins', to say they can't lose their salvation is like saying they can't choose to sin. 
This verse doesn't teach that people can lose their salvation.   It states that if someone receives knowledge of the truth, and THEN intentionally refuses to walk with Christ, there remains no sacrifice for their sins.   We are not saved by receiving the knowledge of the truth.  Just knowing something is not the same as salvation.  Remember in James, the demons believe in God, but this doesn't save them.   What this verse is teaching is that people can know what the truth is and still refuse to follow it.  They can even believe that it is the truth but still intentionally sin.   I would suggest that there are many people in this boat. People who have heard the gospel and know its truth, but have still refused to embrace it.  But just knowing the truth is not the same as being saved. And therefore, by deliberately sinning is not them losing salvation. You can't lose what you never had in the first place.  
BrotherD.Thomas
BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@n8nrgim

n8nrgim,

TRADESECRET IS A WOMAN WHERE SHE SHOWS THIS TO BE FACT IN HER GENDER: 

TRADESECRET IS 12 YEARS OLD FROM HER BIRTH DATE SHOWN TO TODAY:

Remember when I told you to not let Miss Tradesecrets Bible Stupidity rub off on you?  Her inept posts are 99.99 percent weak OPINIONS, and are not vouchsafed with actual  biblical axioms, like my posts are.  As shown ad infinitum, she remains the #1 Bible Stupid Fool of this Religion Forum, bar none!  Therefore Miss Tradesecrets credibility is ZERO, especially when showing that she is a woman to remain SILENT (1 Timothy 2:11-15), and is only 12 years old!  

Addressing Miss Tradesecret's weak OPINIONS in her feeble post #7: https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/9312/posts/389247

MISS TRADESECRETS WEAK OPINION #1 WITH NO BIBLE CITATION:  "Saved from what? If the person who believes receives everlasting life, surely "everlasting" has some meaning?" 

A pseudo-christian like Miss Tradesecret needs more than to just "believe," where Jesus' inspired words in the book of John says you must also OBEY Jesus as well to have everlasting life!

"Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him." (John 3:36)

MISS TRADESECRES WEAK OPINION #2 WITH NO BIBLE CITATION: "We are not saved by free will and we cannot be lost by our free will. That would put salvation into our domain as opposed to God's domain. "Salvation belongs to the LORD".  Humans do have free will. But what is free will? And how does it relate to salvation? 

In Miss Tradesecrets quote above, she is flailing around like a fish out of water!  Her Bible Stupidity once again states that pseudo-christians have "Free Will" when biblically they do not; Ephesians 1:11, Proverbs 16:33, Proverbs 19:21, Jeremiah 29:11, and many more passages.  Then she says humans have free will, then she says what is free will? Huh?  Furthermore, she is wrong again when if you are a pseudo-christian you do not have free will according to Jesus' inspired words previously shown in the passages given, therefore salvation cannot be connected to free will!  Duh!

MISS TRADESECREST WEAK OPINION #3 WITH NO BIBLE CITATION: "I don't think trying to be good has anything to do with being saved"

As shown many times, her Bible Stupidity is without bounds with her quote above! Trying to be good is also relative to "works" that the pseudo-christian like her are to do to be saved, as this passages so states at her embarrassing expense: JESUS SAID: “What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,  And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone..” (James 2: 14-17)

"For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries. Anyone who has set aside the law of Moses dies without mercy on the evidence of two or three witnesses." (Hebrews 10:26-28)

MISS TRADESECRETS QUOTE TO THE ABOVE PASSAGE THAT EXPLICITLY STATES THAT IF A PSEUDO-CHRISTIAN LIKE HER KEEPS ON SINNING IN KNOWING THE TRUTH TO SAID SINS IS WRONG, SHE WILL NO LONGER BE SAVED:  "But just knowing the truth is not the same as being saved..........And therefore, by deliberately sinning is not them losing salvation."

Reading through her grade-school gibberish, she is actually saying that Jesus is wrong in the Hebrews passage shown above with her Satanic quotes shown, where He specifically states that if the pseudo-christian "goes on sinning deliberately after receiving the truth of given sins are wrong, there is no longer remains a sacrifice of Jesus for said sins!!!  2+2=4, oil and water don't mix, and Miss Tradesecret remains the Bible fool in her trying to REWRITE this passage to say something that it LITERALLY does not say in the first place, which is BLASPHEME on her part!

n8nrgim, always remember, Miss Tradesecret did not get the reward for being the #1 Bible Stupid pseudo-christian within this Religion Forum without being shown to be so Bible Stupid to begin with as Continually shown ad infinitum by myself, Steven, and others!