Trump urges GOP to let catastrophic debt default happen if Dems don’t accept cuts

Author: n8nrgim

Total: 346
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
All we need now is "Read my lips: no new cuts"
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
I don’t know. The military is looking pretty woke. 
Vegasgiants
Vegasgiants
-->
@ILikePie5
You mean the gop bill falls flat on its face?   Yep.  Lol
sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
-->
@Vegasgiants
How has debt affected me. Ya, inflation causing me to loose buying power and destroying the value my savings. You are fiscally clueless. Now you can explain to me how endless govt deficit spending  does not cause inflation.
Vegasgiants
Vegasgiants
-->
@sadolite
That has nothing to do with our debt.  We had inflation in the past at much lower debt
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Vegasgiants
You dint know what you are talking about.
Vegasgiants
Vegasgiants
-->
@sadolite
Prove it.  The debt has never caused us a problem 
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Vegasgiants
So your idea is "Debt is not a problem if you never plan to repay it."?

Except this isn't a board game. There is a real world with a finite number of people using a finite amount of resources at improvable but non-infinite efficiency.

It isn't the debt itself that is causing inflation, it's what the debt means. When they say "we borrow" they pretty much mean "we print".

Whatever shell games they play, the fact is when they spend more than their revenue that means real goods and services go into the government blackhole and nothing comes out except monopoly money.

Less goods and services for us, more dollars for us = inflation, so sadolite is entirely correct to associate the two phenomenon.
Vegasgiants
Vegasgiants
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Absolutely not.  Debt is in no way tied to inflation.  Our debt is not a problem.....yet.  It could be at some time in the future but as of mow it is mot a issue that is causing a problem for a single American 

Inflation will come down in a year....and we will owe more money than we do right now
sadolite
sadolite
OK. The federal reserve is in charge of regulating inflation. What it supposed to do is monitor wealth creation and authorize a increase in available cash based on all new wealth creation. When govt spends beyond its means it is adding cash based on nothing no "wealth creation." The job of the federal reserve is to tell govt there is no wealth created to justify increased govt spending beyond a certain point. Some debt is OK so long as it is managed and paid down periodically. This is not happening. The federal reserve is allowing trillions upon trillions of worthless dollars  to be spent by govt based on 0 wealth creation. 0 wealth creation plus adding trillions upon trillions of worthless dollars equals inflation. Economics 101. The federal reserve is also propping up the stock market which should have crashed back in 2008. It pumped trillions into that also, again based on zero wealth creation.  The American dollar is becoming so worthless it is not being used by many countries anymore as a trading reserve currency.  The percent of the debt vs GDP will dictate inflation.  The current debt vs the GDP is 120%. That is unsustainable and will destroy this country fiscally unless it is addressed. Inflation is only the beginning of the fall. Current inflation rate is at 9% per year. 
Vegasgiants
Vegasgiants
-->
@sadolite
By that logic as debt increases then inflation increases.  Yet inflation is falling and debt is increasing 

Debt is not tied to inflation 
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@ILikePie5
GOP gets spending cuts, we’re happy. Joe gonna be a loser like Obama
The loser is the guy who is the one term President 

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@sadolite
How has debt affected me. Ya, inflation causing me to loose buying power and destroying the value my savings. You are fiscally clueless. Now you can explain to me how endless govt deficit spending  does not cause inflation.
But the deficit has been growing since Reagan and we only got high inflation after Covid 

Current inflation rate is at 9% per year.
Wrong. That’s a lie. Where do you get your information, Fox News and OAN?

ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Vegasgiants
You mean the gop bill falls flat on its face?   Yep.  Lol
I don’t know what world you live on, but any bill that cuts spending in exchange for debt ceiling raise is a win for Republicans.
Vegasgiants
Vegasgiants
-->
@ILikePie5
Not really.   You get a few grains of sand but we get the beach.  Lol
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Vegasgiants
Who is "we" lol...do you work in DC where most of that money gets laundered to?
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Vegasgiants
Not really.   You get a few grains of sand but we get the beach.  Lol
That’s clearly not the position of the Democrats. Otherwise they would’ve agreed to some cuts long ago. Keep dreaming
Vegasgiants
Vegasgiants
-->
@Greyparrot
Clearly I was referring to democrats but it could easily apply to we the American people 
Vegasgiants
Vegasgiants
-->
@ILikePie5
This is how the game is played.  It's called negotiation 

Do you honestly not know how this works?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Vegasgiants
Clearly I was referring to democrats but it could easily apply to we the American people 
Clearly, it's DC that gets the beach and has been for the past 70+ years while we Americans rejoice at the sand they throw at us.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Vegasgiants
"Debt is not tied to inflation"  Now its your turn to prove it. 
Vegasgiants
Vegasgiants
-->
@sadolite
I did prove it.  Inflation goes up and it goes down.  Debt has always increased since Reagan.   There is no correlation 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@sadolite
"Debt is not tied to inflation"
The correlation between Debt and Inflation has multiple degrees of separation.

For Debt to have a correlation with price increases, 3 presumptions have to be true.

1) Increasing the national debt is for the purpose of injecting dollars into the economy.
2) Those dollars will be mostly be used to purchase scarce resources instead of saving and investing.
3) The increase in demand will cause a scarcity and a price hike as production struggles to meet the new demand.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Vegasgiants
UM you are going to have to explain it using economic principles like I did. You have proved nothing. 

If govt can just barrow unlimited money and never repay it, why cant I? Why do I even have to pay taxes? 

The absurd logic.  Govt gives everyone enough money to be a billionaire, every one has more money to spend, demand for everything goes up, that is what causes inflation. The debt incurred by govt to give everyone a billion dollars, that's just some subjective social construct without meaning.
Vegasgiants
Vegasgiants
-->
@sadolite
I was as clear as can be.  You claim there is a correlation between debt and inflation.  There isn't 

Inflation is going down and debt is going up.

Why?
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Vegasgiants
Your economic expertise is superior. You are right I am wrong. Thanks for educating me.
Vegasgiants
Vegasgiants
-->
@sadolite
You're welcome 
sadolite
sadolite
I have one more question.

"Inflation is going down and debt is going up. Why?"

Could you answer that for me, I don't know.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Vegasgiants
Inflation is going down and debt is going up....WHY?
When the Fed raises interest rates, it makes it more expensive for banks, and therefore consumers and businesses to borrow money. This usually leads to a decrease in spending because people and big corporations are less likely to take out loans to finance purchases or investments. This means demand decreases and that eases supply pressures which then lead to price decreases.
What usually ends up happening is that people are  more motivated to save money rather than to spend it. So although National debt is going up, American's individual debts are going down to counter the bad effects due to the Fed rate hikes.
A much smaller effect is that higher interest rates lead to a strengthening of the value of the currency because loose dollars are worth less and tight dollars are worth more. This can make imports cheaper and exports more expensive. This causes a decrease in scarcity for imported goods and causes an increase in scarcity for exported goods, but this is a long term effect and it's the large corporations that will see this effect before everyday Americans see it.

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Greyparrot
I was really hoping for Vegasgiants to answer the question