Define a Woman Liberals.

Author: YouFound_Lxam

Total: 84
YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
I want the definition of the word woman. 

I do not want an explanation of why you can't provide one, or anything else like that.
It is a simple request. 

Just put:
Woman-Definition
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
We are all, of course, familiar with the argument Ben Shapiro told you to repeat.

Noun
woman (plural women)
  1. An adult female humanquotations ▼
  2. (collective) All female humans collectively; womankindquotations ▼
  3. A female person, usually an adult; a (generally adult) female sentient being, whether humansupernaturalelfalien, etc. quotations ▼
  4. wife (or sometimes a fiancée or girlfriend). quotations ▼
  5. A female person who is extremely fond of or devoted to a specified type of thing. (Used as the last element of a compound.quotations ▼
  6. female attendant or servant.

YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@oromagi
Thank you. 
Good definitions by the way. 

Savant
Debates: 23
Savant
-->
@oromagi
Are you using the biological definition of female?
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Savant
I am using the Wiktionary defintion of WOMAN
Savant
Savant
-->
@oromagi
I understand, but the definition they provide is "an adult female human," which would seem to exclude trans women given the biological definition of "female." It may be that I misunderstand your position on transgender issues, but this seems contrary to what you've said in the past.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Savant
My position on transgendered people is that they are citizens like any other.  I don't pretend to really understand the experience and  so don't feel a need to judge or approve that experience in others.  I trust that transgendered persons are sincere in their claims and trust the sciences of psychology and medicine when advised that the best thing citizens can do to help out is to acknowledge those identity claims as legitimate and worthy.
oromagi
oromagi
Here is Wiktionary's definition of FEMALE:

Adjective 
female (not generally comparablecomparative femaler or more femalesuperlative femalest or most female)
  1. Belonging to the sex which typically produces eggs (ova), or to the gender which is typically associated with it. [from 14th c.] quotations ▼female authorsthe leading male and female artistsfemale bird cooing at a maleintersex female patientsa trans female vlogger
  2. Characteristic of this sex/gender. (Compare femininewomanly.quotations ▼stereotypically female pastimesan insect with typically female coloration
  3. Tending to lead to or regulate the development of sexual characteristics typical of this sex.the female chromosome;   estrogen, the primary female sex hormone, is produced by both females and males
  4. (grammar, less common than 'feminine'Feminine; of the feminine grammatical gender. quotations ▼
  5. (of bacteria) Lacking the F factor, and able to receive DNA from another bacterium which does have this factor (a male). quotations ▼
  6. (figuratively) Having an internal socket, as in a connector or pipe fitting. [from 16th c.] 

Savant
Savant
-->
@oromagi
Obviously, that is true, but it seems distinct from the semantic discussion I think Lxam is trying to have. All persons have unique experiences, but not all persons are women. That distinction is going to depend on which experiences we are referring to and what criteria are being measured. Subjective experiences are of great consequence to individuals, but formal definitions require concrete descriptions of those experiences.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@<<<oromagi>>>
Obviously, that is true, but it seems distinct from the semantic discussion I think Lxam is trying to have.
  • Lxam's persistent but worthless contortions in search of distinction come from a lack of generosity of spirit.  Let's recall that Lxam began this effort six weeks ago with the stated purpose of "exterminating transgenderism."  I don't find that purpose compatible with any American or Christian outlook although it is one of the core missions that Republicans have been assigned by their masters these days.  Scapegoats are good for getting bad people to vote.

All persons have unique experiences, but not all persons are women. 
  • uh huh

That distinction is going to depend on which experiences we are referring to and what criteria are being measured.
  • Too vague.  I don't know what you mean here.
Subjective experiences are of great consequence to individuals, but formal definitions require concrete descriptions of those experiences.
  • I'm skeptical.  Seems to me that there are many social constructs that we can't define concretely....
    • Take disability, for example.  I'm pretty hard of hearing but not entirely deaf.  I can get by in lots of social situations but also miss a lot of verbal cues that everybody around me takes for granted.   I'm not disabled in an official govt sense although I do have a disability that occaisionally requires some explanation in social and workplace settings.   Its all very grey and subjective.
      • Do I/should I give a single damn what labels other people want to apply and approve for me?  No, of course not. If I tell somebody I can't hear them, I am not interested in engaging with their opinion about my deafness from their point of view, I just need them to hear my experience and respond politely and appropriately.  I think we should extend that exact same courtesey to everybody all the time including trans people and fuck the busybody haters inflicting their nasty busybody opinions all unwanted.

Vegasgiants
Debates: 4
Vegasgiants
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Legally it means any person who identifies as a woman
Savant
Savant
  • Too vague.  I don't know what you mean here.
Basically, if we define a woman based on "a person who feels like a woman," then we should be specific about what that feeling is.

Take disability, for example.
I think this is a good example. You don't have to care how other people label you, yet the term "disabled" must be defined in order to serve a useful purpose in conversation. The government defines the term in a particular way for obvious reasons—with no standard of what counts as a disability, it's impossible to enforce the Americans with Disabilities Act.

More broadly, when people talk about disability, the term means impaired by a physical, mental, cognitive, or developmental condition. If it's clear that this is the definition we're using, then it's clear what we mean when it is said that someone has a disability.

The issue that I think occurs when defining a woman as someone who "feels like a woman" is that it's too vague to be useful. Some feelings are the opposite of other feelings. I don't know what it's like to be transgender, but trans person A doesn't know exactly what trans person B is thinking either. Subjective experiences aren't easy to communicate and hard to use as the basis for a formal definition. So whether we are using gender theory or sex to categorize men and women, there needs to be some basis for what these terms are.

The question "What is a woman?" is a different one from "Are people's experiences valid?" The first one does become important in certain cases (sports and education, for example), though it is often unimportant, since someone's identity often has no effect on other people, as you mentioned.
IwantRooseveltagain
Debates: 0
IwantRooseveltagain
Woman: noun, A person who will never be interested in you once you reach puberty.
Savant
Savant
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
Woman means pedophile?
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
I want the definition of the word woman. 
What’s yours?

Savant
Savant
-->
@Double_R
He agreed with oromagi's definition, I think.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Forty-four percent of young women counted themselves liberal in 2021, compared to 25 percent of young men, according to Gallup Poll data analyzed by the Survey Center on American Life. 
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@Savant
All persons have unique experiences, but not all persons are women.
Huh? 

Since when are personified experiences = biological women?  

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
@Vegasgiants
Egg producing half of the human binary system.

Everything else is bollocks.....HaHaHaHa.

And legality is as legality does.

Bones
Debates: 31
Bones
-->
@oromagi
Look - if a woman is an adult human female, then tautologically, that who does not fulfil the criteria of being an adult human female cannot be a woman. Meaning transgender men are actually women because they fulfil the criteria of being adult human females. 
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Savant
He agreed with oromagi's definition, I think.
If all he wanted was a dictionary definition he could have googled it himself. What he clearly wanted based on his history on this subject and title to this thread is to “own the libs” no doubt by trying to paint us an unable to define the term in a way that isn’t 100% fool proof, so I’d like to hear his.
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@oromagi
  • Lxam's persistent but worthless contortions in search of distinction come from a lack of generosity of spirit.  Let's recall that Lxam began this effort six weeks ago with the stated purpose of "exterminating transgenderism."  I don't find that purpose compatible with any American or Christian outlook although it is one of the core missions that Republicans have been assigned by their masters these days.  Scapegoats are good for getting bad people to vote.
I did not state "exterminated transgenderism." 
I stated that we must exterminate and eradicate the ideology of Transgenderism. 

Now note, this does not mean that I am saying the condition of gender dysphoria does not exist. It certainly does. What I am saying is that the idea that a man can become a woman and vice versa, and that we should accept that as fact should be eradicated, and exterminated from the public square. At the very least be condemned because it is indeed not biological fact. 

We can talk about how people feel all day and that would be a different discussion entirely. But when you propose that when the person with gender dysphoria feels as if they are the opposite sex, and we are supposed to respect that, that is where the problem starts. 
When someone truly believes something to be real that is fundamentally false by every aspect of human nature and life, that is called delusion. 

I will not respect someone's delusion. 

Seems to me that there are many social constructs that we can't define concretely....
Give me one social construct that we cannot tie to some form of reality. 

YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Double_R
What’s yours?
A biological adult human female. 

We have gone over this. 
Vegasgiants
Vegasgiants
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Not legally 
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
A biological adult human female. 

We have gone over this. 
Yes, because you continue to rehash the same threads over and over again.

I know I’ve asked you this many times over but just don’t recall ever getting a clear answer… setting aside the already precarious nature of trying to provide a fool proof definition of what a biological female is, how have you ever in your life determined that any given person you run into meets your definition?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Vegasgiants
Legal is as legal does.

Legal has nothing to do with the evolution of the human binary species.
Vegasgiants
Vegasgiants
-->
@zedvictor4
Legal is all that counts.  Don't like it?   Call a cop and ask him.  Lol
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Vegasgiants
And then there were cops.

YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Vegasgiants
Legal is all that counts.  Don't like it?   Call a cop and ask him.  Lol
It's legal in other countries to do horrible things. Does that make it ok? 
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Double_R
Yes, because you continue to rehash the same threads over and over again.

I know I’ve asked you this many times over but just don’t recall ever getting a clear answer… setting aside the already precarious nature of trying to provide a fool proof definition of what a biological female is, how have you ever in your life determined that any given person you run into meets your definition?
Because of a combination of biological factors.
Voice pitch. 
Body shape.
Limb length.

Women tend to have an hourglass shape that is always definable no matter how obese or skinny the woman is. 
Men tend to have a V shape. 

Here is a list of physical differences in males and females:
Skull in males are larger
Males shoulders are wider & higher. Female shoulders hold an angle
The female thorax is narrower
The male torsos are shorter
Males have longer arms
The oblique slant of femur is more pronounced in female.
Male legs are longer. 

And we as humans notice these specific characteristic in others usually without realizing it. 
That is why humans are so good at looking at another person, and just by glance, determining if they are a man or a woman, regardless of what they are wearing. 

That's why drag queens are supposed to be comedic. They are dressed like women, but look like men.