Define a Woman Liberals.

Author: YouFound_Lxam

Total: 84
Bones
Debates: 31
Bones
-->
@oromagi
Also, I have no idea why you don't want to debate. You obviously think trans men can be men, where I don't, which entails that you think their philosophy is coherent. and you also believe that allowing them to manifest these delusions is good for their mental health. Look oro, your padded rating on the site doesn't matter - just have some fun around here. 
Best.Korea
Debates: 274
Best.Korea
@iwantroosevelt

I don’t worship Jesus because he was just a man who indulged in drugs. I don’t believe in God because I’m not so weak minded that I need a fairy tale to cling to.
Here we have an example of a person committing unpardonable sin. Probably not your first time.

Also, calling Christians weak minded when your LGBTQ ideology is where humans pretend to be dogs and unicorns, and where you cannot separate morality from feelings? How very nice.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@oromagi
Common oromagi 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

Show Bones the power of your rainbow
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Bones

Unfortunately for you, my definition is the status quo, appearing as the first entry from a couple reputable sources. (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8
  • Words often have more than one meaning.  The most popular usage does not confer increased legitimacy.  Legitmacy is according to semantic context.  4 of your 8 sources explicitly state that a trans woman may be properly referred to as a woman.

Oh I see, so there are two "parts" to the definition of female, that of belonging to the sex, as identified through ova, and also this weird gender one.
So what does it mean to be a female per the gender description?   So what part of the trans female vlogger makes them female? 
  • From WIktionary:   Identification as a man, a woman, or something else, and association with a (social) role or set of behavioral and cultural traits, clothing, etc; a category to which a person belongs on this basis. (Compare gender rolegender identity.) [from 20th c.] 

TWS1405_2
Debates: 4
TWS1405_2
Vegaagiants
Legally it means any person who identifies as a woman
No it doesn’t. 
Cite a US Code to back this idiotic claim. 
Vegasgiants
Vegasgiants
Ask me nicely
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Vegasgiants
Ask me nicely
But you are not a girl

Vegasgiants
Vegasgiants
-->
@Best.Korea
So what
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Vegasgiants
So no nice asking. Tell us the code.
Bella3sp
Debates: 53
Bella3sp
I actually can't with these.. 
Bones
Bones
-->
@oromagi
Unfortunately for you, my definition is the status quo, appearing as the first entry from a couple reputable sources. (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8
  • Words often have more than one meaning.  The most popular usage does not confer increased legitimacy.  Legitmacy is according to semantic context.  4 of your 8 sources explicitly state that a trans woman may be properly referred to as a woman.
Yet all 8 cite adult human female as the first entry, so your charge that I do not know how to use a dictionary is null. 

Oh I see, so there are two "parts" to the definition of female, that of belonging to the sex, as identified through ova, and also this weird gender one.
So what does it mean to be a female per the gender description?   So what part of the trans female vlogger makes them female? 
  • From WIktionary:   Identification as a man, a woman, or something else, and association with a (social) role or set of behavioral and cultural traits, clothing, etc; a category to which a person belongs on this basis. (Compare gender rolegender identity.) [from 20th c.] 
Ok three problems. First is that you completely dodged, in that I asked for a definition of female not gender, implying a confusion between your sex and gender doctrine. I asked for the "gendered" conception of female as a trap, which you fell entirely in because gender is not applicable to female, nor do trans advocates claim this - they claim it applies to woman. Second, even if you did mistake sex with gender, and instead provided me a definition of woman, my question was what part of the trans female vlogger makes them female/woman to which you gave a definition of gender, the mistake being you giving me a definition of the category and not the thing. This would be like if you me "what component of coffee makes it coffee" and I give you an account for why it is a liquid. I am not requesting to know in what category your conception of woman exists, but rather what it itself actually is. Third, this definition of woman (which I never asked for, I asked for one of female) is in contest with the previous one you submitted. 

woman (plural women)
  1. An adult female humanquotations ▼
  2. (collective) All female humans collectively; womankindquotations ▼
  3. A female person, usually an adult; a (generally adult) female sentient being, whether humansupernaturalelfalien, etc. quotations ▼
  4. wife (or sometimes a fiancée or girlfriend). quotations ▼
  5. A female person who is extremely fond of or devoted to a specified type of thing. (Used as the last element of a compound.quotations ▼
  6. female attendant or servant.

association with a (social) role or set of behavioral and cultural traits
So we therefore have two contradictory definitions of woman - notice also how the most common definition of woman mentions nothing about association with roles. My problem is this. We have two definitions which lie in contest. How do we decide which is better when they are in contest? For example, if someone who fulfils  the adult female human criteria, but associate with the social roles of a man, are they still a woman? What about vice versa? 
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Bones
-->
@<<<oromagi>>>
Yet all 8 cite adult human female as the first entry, so your charge that I do not know how to use a dictionary is null. 

• Not if you don't understand that words have more than one legitimate context, you don't.
  • Let's agree that since between us we found 5 excellent lexicographic sources that confirm that WOMAN is an appropriate noun for transwomen and zero lexiographic sources that deny that the noun WOMAN applies to transwomen, that proper usage in the modern English language permits transwomen to be referred to as women.

So what does it mean to be a female per the gender description?   So what part of the trans female vlogger makes them female? 
  • From WIktionary:   Identification as a man, a woman, or something else, and association with a (social) role or set of behavioral and cultural traits, clothing, etc; a category to which a person belongs on this basis. (Compare gender rolegender identity.) [from 20th c.] 
Ok three problems. First is that you completely dodged, in that I asked for a definition of female not gender, implying a confusion between your sex and gender doctrine.
  • I'll leave the doctrine to you nosy busybodies.  I'm just advocating for the use of the most respectful, inclusive language available and trying to figure out why such respect engrages the MAGA lads.
  • You asked "what does it mean to be a female per the gender description..  You call it a dodge but I guess you are going to have to explain how.  I gave you a definition of gender that explains that one correct meaning of being of female gender is to identify as a woman in  a socio-cultural context.  That is as direct an answer as I can fathom 
I asked for the "gendered" conception of female as a trap, which you fell entirely in because gender is not applicable to female,
  • Let's call that a part of your religious belief since the lexicographic sources seem to agree that FEMALE  is the gender which is typically associated with  the sex which typically produces egg.  What trap?
nor do trans advocates claim this - they claim it applies to woman. 
  • I can't tell what noun "it" refer to in this sentence.  I do think using "female" as an adjective for the feminine gender is more common usage than "woman."
  • You are going to need to document what the trans advocates are claiming- it doesn't sound like an argument I've ever heard.
Second, even if you did mistake sex with gender, and instead provided me a definition of woman, my question was what part of the trans female vlogger makes them female/woman to which you gave a definition of gender, the mistake being you giving me a definition of the category and not the thing.
  • The answer was plain:  self-identity  as female/woman is to female/woman as coffee bean is to coffee.
coffee (countable and uncountableplural coffees) [from 1598] [2]
  1. (uncountable) A beverage made by infusing the beans of the coffee plant in hot water. quotations ▼
  2. (countable) A serving of this beverage. quotations ▼
  3. The seeds of the plant used to make coffee, called ‘beans’ due to their shape.
  4. The powder made by roasting and grinding the seeds.
  5. tropical plant of the genus Coffea.
  6. A pale brown colour, like that of milk coffee.
    coffee:  
  7. The end of a meal, when coffee is served.
    He did not stay for coffee.
  • Depending on the context, coffee  can be an influsion, a seed, a powder, a plant, a color, a part of the meal.  In some contexts, tea is coffee.  Yes, there are snobs and haters who will ignoe common usage and demand the eradication of anybody who has tea for their coffee but such ragebots aren't really worth society's time or attention.
Third, this definition of woman (which I never asked for, I asked for one of female) is in contest with the previous one you submitted. 
  • You asked  for meaning of female per the gender description.  I quoted from WIktionary's definition of GENDER.  Same source.
So we therefore have two contradictory definitions of woman - notice also how the most common definition of woman mentions nothing about association with roles. My problem is this. We have two definitions which lie in contest. How do we decide which is better when they are in contest? For example, if someone who fulfils  the adult female human criteria, but associate with the social roles of a man, are they still a woman? What about vice versa? 
  • Again, you just don't seem to be familiar with English language dictionaries.  Many words may have entirely contradictory definitions, depending on context.
    • To SCREEN something can mean to conceal or to show off depending on the context.
    • To SANCTION can mean to approve or punish depending on the context.
    • To RENT can mean to buy or to sell, depending on the context.
    • A BILL can mean either payment or invoice, depnding on the context.
    • An APOLOGY can mean contrition or defense, depending on the context.
    • A WOMAN can mean "pussies only"  or "pussy irrelevant," depending on the context.
For example, if someone who fulfils  the adult female human criteria, but associate with the social roles of a man, are they still a woman? 
  • Yes in the context of biology.  No in polite society.  See?  Words can have entirely different meanings, even opposite meanings, depending on context.  I am skeptical that you did not already know this.

Bones
Bones
-->
@oromagi

• Not if you don't understand that words have more than one legitimate context, you don't.
  • Let's agree that since between us we found 5 excellent lexicographic sources that confirm that WOMAN is an appropriate noun for transwomen and zero lexiographic sources that deny that the noun WOMAN applies to transwomen, that proper usage in the modern English language permits transwomen to be referred to as women.
Let's also agree that adult human female remains the primary definition for woman. Let's also agree that the "context" deference does nothing to bolster the coherence of your position - if two definitions stand in contest, the contradiction ought to be resolved. 

So what does it mean to be a female per the gender description?   So what part of the trans female vlogger makes them female? 
  • From WIktionary:   Identification as a man, a woman, or something else, and association with a (social) role or set of behavioral and cultural traits, clothing, etc; a category to which a person belongs on this basis. (Compare gender rolegender identity.) [from 20th c.] 
Ok three problems. First is that you completely dodged, in that I asked for a definition of female not gender, implying a confusion between your sex and gender doctrine.
  • I'll leave the doctrine to you nosy busybodies.  I'm just advocating for the use of the most respectful, inclusive language available and trying to figure out why such respect engrages the MAGA lads.
And does this progressive definition of female not undermine biology, zoology and any characterisation in which a partition between female and male exist? 

• You asked "what does it mean to be a female per the gender description..  You call it a dodge but I guess you are going to have to explain how.  I gave you a definition of gender that explains that one correct meaning of being of female gender is to identify as a woman in  a socio-cultural context.  That is as direct an answer as I can fathom 
You have identified the category in which female exists. Good job. Again, this is like me descriptively identifying coffee as only "a liquid", or like if I defined a human being as "an alive thing". I am looking for a direct, substantive definition of female. What are these socio-cultural contexts you allude to? 

I asked for the "gendered" conception of female as a trap, which you fell entirely in because gender is not applicable to female,
  • Let's call that a part of your religious belief since the lexicographic sources seem to agree that FEMALE  is the gender which is typically associated with  the sex which typically produces egg.  What trap? 
The trap being that gender, the doctrine encompassing social values etc has nothing to do with sex. 

• The answer was plain:  self-identity  as female/woman is to female/woman as coffee bean is to coffee.
So the only criteria for being a female/woman is if you identify with being a female/woman? Surely this idiocy is not what you are suggesting. 

• Again, you just don't seem to be familiar with English language dictionaries.  Many words may have entirely contradictory definitions, depending on context.
    • To SCREEN something can mean to conceal or to show off depending on the context.
    • To SANCTION can mean to approve or punish depending on the context.
    • To RENT can mean to buy or to sell, depending on the context.
    • A BILL can mean either payment or invoice, depnding on the context.
    • An APOLOGY can mean contrition or defense, depending on the context.
    • A WOMAN can mean "pussies only"  or "pussy irrelevant," depending on the context.
Yet notice how the strawman fails in that there is not a single word you have cited which is contradictory within the same context? You assert that a woman is both an adult human female and also a social label you identify with. These cannot be simultaneously true, for it is conceivable that, in the same context someone can be both an adult human female and also not associate with these labels. Notice how all other words you cited as red herrings operate in different contexts and their meanings can never be in direct contest with each other. 

There are many, many problems with your shallow concept of this "social roles" view. One is that not all people you would call women identify with these labels. Seems rather sexist of you to reduce women into these "social expectations". The second is the problem of that you have actually confused feminine and woman. You define woman as someone abiding by certain social parameters, but how would you define feminine? Looks like you just stole a well established concept and took it for yourself because I would suspect the definitions to be the same. The third is of course that you cannot identify an individual based purely on subjective B-properties, that is, subjective characteristics such as "funny". I'm not even going to bother with that argument. 
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Bones
Let's also agree that adult human female remains the primary definition for woman.
  • Settle down with the heirarchies.  It about matching meaning to context, it not a supremacy of  one meaning dominating another.  Jeez.
Let's also agree that the "context" deference does nothing to bolster the coherence of your position - if two definitions stand in contest, the contradiction ought to be resolved. 
  • Let's recall that my position is that people have a certain right to claim their identities as valid which right other people need and ought not to disrespect

And does this progressive definition of female not undermine biology, zoology and any characterisation in which a partition between female and male exist? 
  • Does the progressive definition of rock as a musical genre undermine geology?
I am looking for a direct, substantive definition of female.
  • You've had that all along.  You just don't like it.
The trap being that gender, the doctrine encompassing social values etc has nothing to do with sex. 
  • Gender is not a doctrine.
gender (countable and uncountableplural genders)
  1. (obsoleteClasskind. [14th–19th c.] quotations ▼
  2. (grammar) A division of nouns and pronouns (and sometimes of other parts of speech) into masculine or feminine, and sometimes other categories like neuter or common, and animate or inanimate. [from 14th c.] quotations ▼
  3. (now sometimes proscribedSex (a category, either male or female, into which sexually-reproducing organisms are divided on the basis of their reproductive roles in their species). [from 15th c.] quotations ▼the gene is activated in both genders
    The effect of the medication is dependent upon age, gender, and other factors.
  4. (sometimes proscribed) Identification as a man, a woman, or something else, and association with a (social) role or set of behavioral and cultural traits, clothing, etc; a category to which a person belongs on this basis. (Compare gender rolegender identity.) [from 20th c.] quotations ▼
  5. (grammarSynonym of voice (“particular way of inflecting or conjugating verbs”) quotations ▼
  6. (hardware) The quality which distinguishes connectors, which may be male (fitting into another connector) and female (having another connector fit into it), or genderless/androgynous (capable of fitting together with another connector of the same type). [from 20th c.] 
  • According to WIktionary GENDER is sometimes a male or female category and that usage is sometimes proscribed.
So the only criteria for being a female/woman is if you identify with being a female/woman? Surely this idiocy is not what you are suggesting. 
  • It was not my suggestion.  Rather it Feminism that made this assertion.  It was also 5 out of 8 dictionaries making this assertion, with no dictionaries contradicting the statement you are freaking out about.  In social contexts, we respect claims of female identity even if those claims don't seem particualrly biological.  Likewise, if a person asked to be referred to as doctor, even if their doctorate was only in physical therapy.

You assert that a woman is both an adult human female and also a social label you identify with. These cannot be simultaneously true, for it is conceivable that, in the same context someone can be both an adult human female and also not associate with these labels.

• Yes and sometimes you can have coffee for your coffee.  Both meanings can be simultaenously true in the same context.
  • This claim strikes me as lunacy.
There are many, many problems with your shallow concept of this "social roles" view. One is that not all people you would call women identify with these labels. Seems rather sexist of you to reduce women into these "social expectations".
  • Seems even more sexist of you to reduce women to their tits.  Reduction or no, the principle is Feminist in origin and long fought for as a necessary right for women.
The second is the problem of that you have actually confused feminine and woman. You define woman as someone abiding by certain social parameters, but how would you define feminine? 
  • Same way I define most words.
Adjective
feminine (comparative more femininesuperlative most feminine)
  1. Of or pertaining to the female genderwomanly.
  2. Of or pertaining to the female sex; biologically female, not male.
  3. Belonging to females; typically used by females.
    Mary, Elizabeth, and Edith are feminine names.
  4. Having the qualities stereotypically associated with womennurturing, not aggressivequotations ▼
  5. (grammar) Of, pertaining or belonging to the female grammatical gender, in languages that have gender distinctions. synonym ▲coordinate terms ▼Synonym: female

1. (of a noun) Being of the feminine class or grammatical gender, and inflected in that manner.
    2. (of another part of speech) Being inflected in agreement with a feminine noun.
  6. (grammarMongolic languages, of any word) Having the vowel harmony of a front vowelcoordinate term ▼
 Looks like you just stole a well established concept and took it for yourself because I would suspect the definitions to be the same.
  • Nope, I just read a dictionary with honest comprehension.
The third is of course that you cannot identify an individual based purely on subjective B-properties,
  • I don't know what B-properties mean
  • I have identified people as funny without much difficulty.  
  • I don't need to identify to respect identity.  Maybe that's a burden of the heirarchical mindset.

Bones
Bones
-->
@oromagi
Let's also agree that adult human female remains the primary definition for woman.
  • Settle down with the heirarchies.  It about matching meaning to context, it not a supremacy of  one meaning dominating another.  Jeez.
I mean characterise it as you want, the fact of the matter is remains constant - my definition is simply the one which is most commonly used in all circumstances. 

Let's also agree that the "context" deference does nothing to bolster the coherence of your position - if two definitions stand in contest, the contradiction ought to be resolved. 
  • Let's recall that my position is that people have a certain right to claim their identities as valid which right other people need and ought not to disrespect
You can't "claim" you are a female any more than you can claim you are 6 foot tall. 

• Does the progressive definition of rock as a musical genre undermine geology?
No because one definition is contextually confined in music and the other in science. If it were the case that rock referred two antithetical ideas within a single discipline, then there would be a contradiction. 

• It was not my suggestion.  Rather it Feminism that made this assertion.  It was also 5 out of 8...
Ok I don't care about the digression, only that you actually believe this.  So if a female is someone who identifies as a female, could tell me what it is that they are identifying as given as how you have just used female to define female? 

You assert that a woman is both an adult human female and also a social label you identify with. These cannot be simultaneously true, for it is conceivable that, in the same context someone can be both an adult human female and also not associate with these labels.
  • Yes and sometimes you can have coffee for your coffee.  Both meanings can be simultaenously true in the same context.
  • This claim strikes me as lunacy.
The reason the two uses of coffee exist coherently is because they do not refer to contradictory things. One refers to a drink, the other refers to an event. My problem is you using woman in utterly irreconcilable manners. It would be like defining coffee as both "a drink" and also "something which cannot be drunken" in reference to a certain liquid, with no evident symmetry breaker. You are yet to tell me what the breaker is pertaining to when an individual is an adult human female yet does not associate with the traditional womanly archetypes. 

There are many, many problems with your shallow concept of this "social roles" view. One is that not all people you would call women identify with these labels. Seems rather sexist of you to reduce women into these "social expectations".
  • Seems even more sexist of you to reduce women to their tits.  Reduction or no, the principle is Feminist in origin and long fought for as a necessary right for women.
Not at all, I merely observe biological facts, respected by scientists, archeologists etc. You on the other hand fight against first wave feminists, cherishing archetypes not only as desirable ways to act, but as things which actually constitute what a woman is. 

The second is the problem of that you have actually confused feminine and woman. You define woman as someone abiding by certain social parameters, but how would you define feminine? 
  • Same way I define most words.
Funny that you use dictionaries so much yet coil away at the 8 I submitted. Nonetheless, what is the difference between a woman and someone who is feminine. 

The third is of course that you cannot identify an individual based purely on subjective B-properties,
  • I don't know what B-properties mean
  • I have identified people as funny without much difficulty. 
But it would be wrong to describe someone as objectively funny, given the innately subjective measure of comedy. 
oromagi
oromagi
my definition is simply the one which is most commonly used in all circumstances. 
  • but not the only definition and this word has more than one meaning.
You can't "claim" you are a female any more than you can claim you are 6 foot tall. 
  • That is your belief.  The facts are that in modern American society,  people sometimes claim they are female in a legal, social sense.
If it were the case that rock referred two antithetical ideas within a single discipline, then there would be a contradiction. 
  • But our multiple meanings of woman, gender, female, etc don't apply to the same discipline.  
Ok I don't care about the digression, only that you actually believe this. 
  • My beliefs have nothing to do with this.  This is about respecting the beliefs of others.
So if a female is someone who identifies as a female, could tell me what it is that they are identifying as given as how you have just used female to define female? 
  1. (psychology) A person's internal sense of self as belonging to a particular gender or genders, or to no gender.

Not at all, I merely observe biological facts, respected by scientists, archeologists etc. You on the other hand fight against first wave feminists, cherishing archetypes not only as desirable ways to act, but as things which actually constitute what a woman is. 
  • False.  Even first wave Feminists resented being reduced to biological roles.
Funny that you use dictionaries so much yet coil away at the 8 I submitted. Nonetheless, what is the difference between a woman and someone who is feminine. 
  • Not one of your dictionaries support your claim and half of them support mine.  I've referred to you dictionary sources more than you have.
But it would be wrong to describe someone as objectively funny, given the innately subjective measure of comedy. 
  • Wrong?  really?  Look, we refer to comedians as funny all the time, in spite of our understanding that humor is subjective.  Even if we don't find a comedian funny, we don't take away that comedian's right to advertise as funny as refer to oneself as a funny person.  LIkewise, the subjectivity of the trans person's claim is baked in to the usage.  Even if we don't find a claim to womanhod particularly persuasive, proper social conduct is nevertheless to to respect the claim as valid.

Bones
Bones
-->
@oromagi
my definition is simply the one which is most commonly used in all circumstances. 
But they can't have claims which are contradictory. You still don't understand. 

• That is your belief.  The facts are that in modern American society,  people sometimes claim they are female in a legal, social sense.
The fact that there are people in modern American society doing it doesn't make it philosophically or conceptually coherent. What is the symetry breaker between this and identifying as 6 foot tall?  

If it were the case that rock referred two antithetical ideas within a single discipline, then there would be a contradiction. 
  • But our multiple meanings of woman, gender, female, etc don't apply to the same discipline.  
They do they - they are directly contradictory and both refer to an individual. Half the population disagrees, which makes it even worse because then you can't say there is societal synergy. 

So if a female is someone who identifies as a female, could tell me what it is that they are identifying as given as how you have just used female to define female? 
  1. (psychology) A person's internal sense of self as belonging to a particular gender or genders, or to no gender.
Look I know you have no intellectual originality, but citing dictionaries doesn't actually answer the question I am asking. You referred to a female as something you can self identify as, meaning a female is someone who identifies as a female. But then what is the definition of the term "female" in that usage? Even the dictionary definition you cite is actually wrong because I didn't ask for your definition of gender identity.  

But I am not reducing them to biological roles - I am observing biological facts. I'm sure first wave feminists wouldn't want men in their bathrooms, and men saying they are women - there's something rather odd about saying how you can get some fake tits and become a "woman". 

• Wrong?  really?  Look, we refer to comedians as funny all the time, in spite of our understanding that humor is subjective.  Even if we don't find a comedian funny, we don't take away that comedian's right to advertise as funny as refer to oneself as a funny person.  LIkewise, the subjectivity of the trans person's claim is baked in to the usage.  Even if we don't find a claim to womanhod particularly persuasive, proper social conduct is nevertheless to to respect the claim as valid.
All agreed to but it's a subjective, not objective manner. The fact that more people than not disagree with this idiocy already blows it out as a subjective claim we can socially agree to. But even so, it's roots are incoherent. 

prefix
Debates: 7
prefix
One need only turn to a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing to get the "correct" stance on this issue. In 2022 Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson was being questioned concerning her nomination to the Supreme Court. Here is a q and a between Senator Blackburn and Jackson:

Blackburn: “In the United States v. Virginia…the Majority Justice Ginsburg stated, ‘supposed inherent differences are no longer accepted as a ground for race or national origin classifications, physical differences between men and women, however, are enduring. The two sexes are not fungible. A community made up exclusively of one. Sex is different from a community composed of both.’ Do you agree with Justice Ginsburg that there are physical differences between men and women that are enduring?...”

Blackburn: “Can you provide a definition for the word ‘woman’?”

Jackson: “Can I provide a definition?”

Blackburn: “Mhmm, yeah.”

Jackson: “No, I can’t.”

Blackburn: “You can’t?”

Jackson: “Not in this context--I’m not a biologist.”

Blackburn: “The meaning of the word woman is so unclear and controversial that you can't give me a definition?”

Jackson: “Senator, in my work as a judge, what I do is I address disputes. If there's a dispute about a definition, people make arguments, and I look at the law and I decide. So I’m not…”

Blackburn: “The fact that you can't give me a straight answer about something as fundamental as what a woman is underscores the dangers of the kind of progressive education that we are hearing about. Just last week, an entire generation of young girls watched as our taxpayer funded institutions permitted a biological man to compete and be a biological woman in the NCAA swimming championships. What message do you think this sends to girls who aspire to compete and win in sports at the highest levels?”

IwantRooseveltagain
Debates: 0
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@prefix
Marsha Blackburn was a beauty contest winner, wasn’t she?

So you might define a woman as someone who poses in a bathing suit to show off her figure, especially her breasts and buttocks.
prefix
Debates: 7
prefix
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
I refer you back to the opening line in my last comment. To wit; " “In the United States v. Virginia…the Majority Justice Ginsburg stated, ‘supposed inherent differences are no longer accepted as a ground for race or national origin classifications, physical differences between men and women, however, are enduring. The two sexes are not fungible. A community made up exclusively of one. Sex is different from a community composed of both.’ Do you agree with Justice Ginsburg that there are physical differences between men and women that are enduring?...”

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@<<<oromagi>>>
  • There's nothing to understand.  You are special pleading some contradiction that your own sources refute.
The fact that there are people in modern American society doing it doesn't make it philosophically or conceptually coherent.
  • There are many social constructs that are not conceptually conherent.  Monarchies are not philosophically coherent.  Trumpists are not philosophically coherent.   That does contradict the dictionary definiton of Monarch or Trumpist.
What is the symetry breaker between this and identifying as 6 foot tall?  
  • I don't know what symmetry you are believing in.  I don't believe all or even most social constructs are bound by the physical.
They do they - they are directly contradictory and both refer to an individual
  • Individuals are not disciplines.  The human identity is complex, multifaceted and not alway rooted in the physical world .

Look I know you have no intellectual originality, but citing dictionaries doesn't actually answer the question I am asking.
  • You aren't asking the questions, Lxam. is.  He asked Liberals to define a woman.  Liberals root their opinion in science, academics, medicines, maximum freedom and liberty for all.
You referred to a female as something you can self identify as, meaning a female is someone who identifies as a female.
  • False.  I used my usual go-to dictionary to answer Lxam's question directly.  Liberals have no problems with humans taking control of their identities and demanding validition for any claim that does not trample on the rights of others.
Even the dictionary definition you cite is actually wrong because I didn't ask for your definition of gender identity.  
  • Not just my dictionary definition but you are claiming most popular dictionary definitions of the past 30 years are wrong because they don't satisfy you.
But I am not reducing them to biological roles - I am observing biological facts.
  • ....and demanding that women adjust their self-conception according to those facts.

I'm sure first wave feminists wouldn't want men in their bathrooms
  • Some prominent feminists did, in fact.  Most women's public stalls required a payment in coin, decades after men's stalls gave up the practice.  First generation feminists argued that pay toilets limited women's access to the public and argued that free, unisex public bathrooms would increase women's freedom.

All agreed to
  • That is really all anyone's asking for.
it's roots are incoherent. 
  • Not to Feminists, it ain't and not to liberated gay people like me, it ain't.  We understand completely how acknowledging a fellow citizen's right  to be authentic and radical in one's gender identity in spite of the long traditions patriarchs enforced with extreme violence strengthens our validity within the American franchise.  Marriage is a social construct and you can make all kinds of arguments about irrelevancy to the babymaking function of human families but you can't deny the increase in franchise and safety and visibilities LGBTQ people enjoyed as soon a that social construct absorbed our participation.  Likewise, we owe the trans citizen the same full franchise and absorbtion and expect to enjoy only increase freedom and increased participation as the result of that new definition.

Bones
Bones
-->
@oromagi
-->
@<<<oromagi>>>
  • There's nothing to understand.  You are special pleading some contradiction that your own sources refute.
I am not special pleading because I am utilising the most common understanding of a term, whilst you are exercising mental gymnastics to defend your position.  

The fact that there are people in modern American society doing it doesn't make it philosophically or conceptually coherent.
  • There are many social constructs that are not conceptually conherent.  Monarchies are not philosophically coherent.  Trumpists are not philosophically coherent.   That does contradict the dictionary definiton of Monarch or Trumpist.
So are you conceding then that gender is conceptually incoherent? If not then what is the point of this red herring? 

• I don't know what symmetry you are believing in.  I don't believe all or even most social constructs are bound by the physical.
If identification is a valid means of identifying an individuals attributes, just as it is in gender, can we apply the standard to age and height? 

Look I know you have no intellectual originality, but citing dictionaries doesn't actually answer the question I am asking.
  • You aren't asking the questions, Lxam. is.  He asked Liberals to define a woman.  Liberals root their opinion in science, academics, medicines, maximum freedom and liberty for all
Lxan may have instigated the question what is a woman, but I asked you a question, that is, "if a female is someone who identifies as a female, could tell me what it is that they are identifying as given as how you have just used female to define female?". So what Lxan may or may not have asked is absolutely irrelevant. 

You referred to a female as something you can self identify as, meaning a female is someone who identifies as a female.
  • False.  I used my usual go-to dictionary to answer Lxam's question directly.  Liberals have no problems with humans taking control of their identities and demanding validition for any claim that does not trample on the rights of others.
Ok so now I know you're lying, because I asked what it is about the trans female vlogger which makes them female to which you stated and I quote "The answer was plain:  self-identity as female/woman". So the thing which makes the female vlogger a female is self-identity, that is to say, given the condition they believe they are a female, they are thus a female. So if that is the condition, as you have forced yourself into, then I ask - what exactly is it that they are self identifying as? 

Even the dictionary definition you cite is actually wrong because I didn't ask for your definition of gender identity.  
  • Not just my dictionary definition but you are claiming most popular dictionary definitions of the past 30 years are wrong because they don't satisfy you.
Another red herring - I am not even contesting whether the definition is correct. I'm just observing that either you can't read or you are intentionally slippery, because I asked for a definition of female, to which you gave a definition of gender identity. 

But I am not reducing them to biological roles - I am observing biological facts.
  • ....and demanding that women adjust their self-conception according to those facts.
Another red herring - no adjustment is required from women whatsoever. Their self conception, whether it be masculine or feminine, is something I defend wholeheartedly. Where I see a feminine man, you see a woman, essentially reducing womanhood into a sock of sorts you can wear. 

I'm sure first wave feminists wouldn't want men in their bathrooms
  • Some prominent feminists did, in fact.  Most women's public stalls required a payment in coin, decades after men's stalls gave up the practice.  First generation feminists argued that pay toilets limited women's access to the public and argued that free, unisex public bathrooms would increase women's freedom.
Well seeing as how we do not want to regress to paid toilet stores, I think keeping our current system of men in mens bathrooms and women in women's seems alright. 

it's roots are incoherent. 
  • Not to Feminists, it ain't and not to liberated gay people like me, it ain't.  We understand completely how acknowledging a fellow citizen's right  to be authentic and radical in one's gender identity in spite of the long traditions patriarchs enforced with extreme violence strengthens our validity within the American franchise.  Marriage is a social construct and you can make all kinds of arguments about irrelevancy to the babymaking function of human families but you can't deny the increase in franchise and safety and visibilities LGBTQ people enjoyed as soon a that social construct absorbed our participation.  Likewise, we owe the trans citizen the same full franchise and absorbtion and expect to enjoy only increase freedom and increased participation as the result of that new definition.
Ok literally none of this address the root coherence whatsoever. You have failed spectacularly in identifying why is that say a trans female vlogger is a female, that is, what it is about them which makes them female. 
oromagi
oromagi
I am not special pleading because I am utilising the most common understanding of a term

• You've already conceeded that popular usage does not altar the validity of different, even contrary meanings.
So are you conceding then that gender is conceptually incoherent? If not then what is the point of this red herring? 
  • I have said before: the coherence of the concept relies on the validity of the personal experience, which I do not judge and cannot perceive.   Just I would call a king "your majesty" and respect a nation's right to have a king on the basis of personal sovereignty alone without judgement or analysis, I would call a woman a man if she asks me to, whether or not I find the alteration sincere or convincing.
If identification is a valid means of identifying an individuals attributes, just as it is in gender, can we apply the standard to age and height? 
  • People tell me deluded lies about their age and height almost daily.  I don't try to take their rights from them.
  • You aren't asking the questions, Lxam. is.  He asked Liberals to define a woman.  Liberals root their opinion in science, academics, medicines, maximum freedom and liberty for all
Lxan may have instigated the question what is a woman, but I asked you a question, that is, "if a female is someone who identifies as a female, could tell me what it is that they are identifying as given as how you have just used female to define female?".
  • I didn't.  
female (not generally comparablecomparative femaler or more femalesuperlative femalest or most female)
  1. Belonging to the sex which typically produces eggs (ova), or to the gender which is typically associated with it. [from 14th c.] quotations ▼female authorsthe leading male and female artistsfemale bird cooing at a maleintersex female patientsa trans female vlogger
  2. Characteristic of this sex/gender. (Compare femininewomanly.quotations ▼stereotypically female pastimesan insect with typically female coloration
  3. Tending to lead to or regulate the development of sexual characteristics typical of this sex.the female chromosome;   estrogen, the primary female sex hormone, is produced by both females and males
  4. (grammar, less common than 'feminine'Feminine; of the feminine grammatical gender. quotations ▼
  5. (of bacteria) Lacking the F factor, and able to receive DNA from another bacterium which does have this factor (a male). quotations ▼
  6. (figuratively) Having an internal socket, as in a connector or pipe fitting. [from 16th c.] 
So a female can be somebody claiming to belonging to the gender associated with producing eggs.  i.e. a trans vlogger

So what Lxan may or may not have asked is absolutely irrelevant. 
  • If we are done with the OP then I am done with this forum.
Ok so now I know you're lying, because I asked what it is about the trans female vlogger which makes them female to which you stated and I quote "The answer was plain:  self-identity as female/woman". So the thing which makes the female vlogger a female is self-identity, that is to say, given the condition they believe they are a female, they are thus a female. So if that is the condition, as you have forced yourself into, then I ask - what exactly is it that they are self identifying as? 

• what lie, asshole?

Bones
Bones
-->
@oromagi
I am not special pleading because I am utilising the most common understanding of a term
  • You've already conceeded that popular usage does not altar the validity of different, even contrary meanings.
False equivalence - I said that terms such as coffee are, when employed in differing contexts, legitimate. Not so much in the case of "woman" though. 

• I have said before: the coherence of the concept relies on the validity of the personal experience, which I do not judge and cannot perceive.   Just I would call a king "your majesty" and respect a nation's right to have a king on the basis of personal sovereignty alone without judgement or analysis, I would call a woman a man if she asks me to, whether or not I find the alteration sincere or convincing.
This doesn't  answer my question - sorry. I asked, is it, or is it not the case that the gender concept is coherent? I don't need analogies (as they always falsely equivocate), just an answer to your question. 

• People tell me deluded lies about their age and height almost daily.  I don't try to take their rights from them.
Oh so when someone misrepresents their age and height, you characterise it as "deluded lies"? Why's that, whats the difference to identifying as a woman? What if these people identifying as 7 foot and 10 years old are just self identifying with something which makes them feel happy and good? Seems pretty discriminatory from you. 

Lxan may have instigated the question what is a woman, but I asked you a question, that is, "if a female is someone who identifies as a female, could tell me what it is that they are identifying as given as how you have just used female to define female?".
  • I didn't. 
Ok so now you're lying again - or to be fair, either you're lying, you're stupid or you are bad faith. 

I asked in post #71

You replied in post #72

So when asked, what is it that makes this individual a female, you answered self identity. What is self identity? Well it's just the act of someone identifying with some criteria. So I'll ask again, when someone self identifies as a female, what are they identifying as? Right now, you have female's are people who identify as females, which is utterly stupid. 

female (not generally comparablecomparative femaler or more femalesuperlative femalest or most female)
  1. Belonging to the sex which typically produces eggs (ova), or to the gender which is typically associated with it. [from 14th c.] quotations ▼female authorsthe leading male and female artistsfemale bird cooing at a maleintersex female patientsa trans female vlogger
  2. Characteristic of this sex/gender. (Compare femininewomanly.quotations ▼stereotypically female pastimesan insect with typically female coloration
  3. Tending to lead to or regulate the development of sexual characteristics typical of this sex.the female chromosome;   estrogen, the primary female sex hormone, is produced by both females and males
  4. (grammar, less common than 'feminine'Feminine; of the feminine grammatical gender. quotations ▼
  5. (of bacteria) Lacking the F factor, and able to receive DNA from another bacterium which does have this factor (a male). quotations ▼
  6. (figuratively) Having an internal socket, as in a connector or pipe fitting. [from 16th c.] 
So a female can be somebody claiming to belonging to the gender associated with producing eggs.  i.e. a trans vlogger
Ok so a female is someone who is associated with the gender associated with producing eggs. You defined gender previously in post #74 - According to WIktionary GENDER is sometimes a male or female category and that usage is sometimes proscribed. So you are basically saying, a female is both someone who produces eggs, and someone who associates with the category of female, seeing as gender is merely a category of male, and in this case, female. So basically, a female is someone who wants to be a female. 

So what Lxan may or may not have asked is absolutely irrelevant. 
  • If we are done with the OP then I am done with this forum.
The underlying question still permeates - doesn't mean its an excuse to dodge my line of questioning though. 

Ok so now I know you're lying, because I asked what it is about the trans female vlogger which makes them female to which you stated and I quote "The answer was plain:  self-identity as female/woman". So the thing which makes the female vlogger a female is self-identity, that is to say, given the condition they believe they are a female, they are thus a female. So if that is the condition, as you have forced yourself into, then I ask - what exactly is it that they are self identifying as? 

• what lie, asshole?
The grammatically incorrect insult doesn't address my point - sorry. So I'll ask again because clearly, you're the sort who requires various reiterations before you can comprehend. 

I asked what it is about the trans female vlogger which makes them female to which you stated and I quote "The answer was plain:  self-identity as female/woman". So the thing which makes the female vlogger a female is self-identity, that is to say, given the condition they believe they are a female, they are thus a female. So if that is the condition, as you have forced yourself into, then I ask - what exactly is it that they are self identifying as? 

So basically, to walk you through the problem, if the condition for being a woman is to identify as a woman, you have merely dodged the question and misdirected the confusion. It would be like if I said  whre is something which identifies as whre - you will have known nothing about what whre is.

There, I bolded my initial point to which you adamantly escaped  so as to help your already struggling comprehension ability. Maybe this time, tone down the snark and try to address it properly. 

Also, if you feel up for a debate, I'm always ready! Clearly we disagree - I think we should define female exclusively biologically and you think that female is a cosplay that anyone can wear for fun.