Do not negotiate on the debt ceiling Joe!

Author: IwantRooseveltagain

Total: 62
IwantRooseveltagain
Debates: 0
IwantRooseveltagain
Republicans are the people who said Obama shouldn’t  place a Supreme Court Justice in an election year, then they placed one 2 weeks before an election.

These scumbags have zero integrity and are not to be taken at face value. There is no doubt in my mind this sudden urgency to cut spending will disappear as soon as there is a Republican in the White House.

The answer is simple. If the debt ceiling is not raised (or repealed) then no Federal money should be sent to any red state. No social security checks. No Highway money, no Medicare, no farm subsidies. Cuts have to be made somewhere, red states are somewhere.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
I agree.  There's no scenario where Republicans don't take 100% of the blame for deliberately trashing good faith and credit.  Only Republicans play this game and only when Democrats are in the White House.  Crashing the economy would hurt everybody but it would hurt the rich first and hardest, the GOP already knows this so there's really no bite to their bark.  I'd advise Biden to end negotitations and continue with his overseas diplomacy- I see little chance the GOP actual goes through where their dumbshit terrorism.
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
-->
@oromagi
There's no scenario where Republicans don't take 100% of the blame for deliberately trashing good faith and credit.  
This is your bias/bubble talking. The median voter has no idea what’s going on. If a default did happen the median response in polls would probably be “both sides are to blame” but at the end of the day the President is always the one who gets the credit/blame for economic circumstances whether that’s fair or not.

Republicans won the house, that means anything the president wants passed needs to at least be bipartisan. Wishing that wasn’t the case isn’t going to make reality go away. Both sides need to negotiate which they are doing because they aren’t stupid
FLRW
FLRW
By December 21, 2020, with just a few weeks left in Trump’s one-term presidency, the national debt had climbed to $27.76 trillion—a 39-percent jump from the $19.95-trillion debt the country had four years prior when Trump was sworn into office. To be fair, he did give himself a big tax break. Putin told him to cut taxes on the rich and that it wouldn't hurt the country.
prefix
Debates: 7
prefix
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
Your assertions are incorrect. 

You assert "Republicans are the people who said Obama shouldn’t  place a Supreme Court Justice in an election year, then they placed one 2 weeks before an election."  Congress took Obama's nomination and  killed it in accord with Senate rules.  "[Back] in 1992, when Obama's vice president, Joe Biden, was chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee [he] mused about urging President George H.W. Bush to withhold any nominees to the high court until the end of the "political season."
( 1). The "Biden rule" as it became known asserted that between mid term elections and  Presidential elections, when the Senate was of a party different from the President, the nominee would not be affirmed. So Merrick Garland 's nomination was tabled in 2016 per the rule and  Amy Coney Barrett was confirmed on  October 26, 2020 per the rule. 

Further your hatred of a particular political party seems to outweigh your reasoning. The debt ceiling was already raised in 2021 (2). The government hit that limit on January 19, 2023. (3)  The only body with authority to initiate legislation to raise the limit is the House (4)

In April the House passed a bill to raise the limit. Biden refused to negotiate on the bill. It has been read twice in the Senate, with no action taken. 

While one can cast this as a political football, that is very short sighted. More is a stake here than the media  has spoon fed to people who think like Iwantrooseveltagain.

2 ....Public Law 117-73.
4 ...Constitution of the USA Article 1 section 7.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@thett3
I really hope Joe pulls another "Afghanistan" on this one, as I am poised to take advantage of the dip.

Do not fail me Joe.
prefix
prefix
-->
@oromagi
Blaming Republicans may be in vogue , but facts say there is plenty of blame to go around. Time says "Since the 1950s, both political parties have engaged in legislative battles over the debt ceiling—each using it to paint the other as financially irresponsible"  ( https://time.com/6281003/debt-ceiling-history/ ).

Then you call the Republican stand "terrorism". Both the Department of Homeland Security and Civics 101 would disagree.
prefix
prefix
-->
@FLRW
Facts over feeling. Data over agenda. "Trump added $6.7 trillion to the debt between fiscal year 2017 and fiscal year 2020, a 33.1% increase, largely due to the effects of the coronavirus pandemic and 2020 recession. ( https://www.thebalancemoney.com/us-debt-by-president-by-dollar-and-percent-3306296).
prefix
prefix
Negotiate Joe! That is how it works. The Biden administration has known about this shortfall since January and did nothing to slow expenditures, or find ways to pay down the debt. The Republican plan does much to improve the nation's economic health. 

"Last week, House Republicans came together to pass responsible legislation to raise the debt ceiling and rein in Washington’s out of control spending.  By passing the Limit, Save, Grow Act, the House proposed the only current plan to address the debt limit and our nation’s fiscal future." (https://huizenga.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=401617). 

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@prefix
The "Biden rule" as it became known asserted that between mid term elections and  Presidential elections, when the Senate was of a party different from the President, the nominee would not be affirmed. So Merrick Garland 's nomination was tabled in 2016 per the rule and  Amy Coney Barrett was confirmed on  October 26, 2020 per the rule. 
That’s nonsense. There was no Biden Rule. And there was no distinction for by McConnell about the Senate being a different party than the President. You lie.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@prefix
Further your hatred of a particular political party seems to outweigh your reasoning. The debt ceiling was already raised in 2021. The government hit that limit on January 19, 2023. (3)  The only body with authority to initiate legislation to raise the limit is the House (4)
Ya genius, that’s how it works. You pass a budget in 2020 to help with the economic recession caused by Covid-19 then you pay for it later when the bills come due and you have borrow more money to make the payments. Trump did the easy part when he signed the CARES Act of 2020 into law. He had an 8 trillion dollar deficit over his 4 years. 
The hypocrisy is the Republicans had no problem raising the debt ceiling 3 times, in 2017, 2018, and 2019 to keep the economy going while Trump was President but now they are balking at raising the debt ceiling to borrow money to pay for the things they bought for Covid relief while Trump was President. Don’t forget, Congress suspended the debt ceiling for 2 years in order to respond to Covid in 2020 while adding nearly 7 trillion to the National debt! Are you stupid?

The Democrats created a one-time filibuster loophole that allowed Senate Democrats to raise the cap with a simple majority vote in 2021.

prefix
prefix
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain

prefix
prefix
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
You are casting this as an 'us vs them" issue. The debt limit is a symptom of out of control government spending .Read again .."The Biden administration has known about this shortfall since January and did nothing to slow expenditures, or find ways to pay down the debt. The Republican plan does much to improve the nation's economic health. "

Also "Here are the facts.

CLAIM: Trump “ran up more debt than any other President in American history.”

AP’S ASSESSMENT: That’s incorrect. The debt incurred during the Trump era was very high. But in terms of raw dollars, the total debt rose more under former President Barack Obama, with Trump in second place — though Obama held office for two terms, while Trump served one." ( per AP News )

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@prefix
You are casting this as an 'us vs them" issue. The debt limit is a symptom of out of control government spending 
Wrong. It’s the result of decades of cutting taxes for wealthy individuals and corporations 

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@prefix
The Republican plan does much to improve the nation's economic health. "
That’s not true. The Republican plan is designed to defund Biden’s initiatives and hopefully create a recession to improve Republicans chances in 2024.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@prefix
That’s incorrect. The debt incurred during the Trump era was very high. But in terms of raw dollars, the total debt rose more under former President Barack Obama, with Trump in second place — though Obama held office for two terms, while Trump served one." ( per AP News )
That’s a lie. The debt went from 11 trillion to 19 trillion in 8 years under Obama during the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression 

The debt went from 19 trillion to 27 trillion in 4 years  under Trump and it began before Covid hit with a trillion dollar deficit that grew to 3 trillion dollar deficits.
 thanks to his tax cuts for the wealthy 

prefix
prefix
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
I said "  The debt limit is a symptom of out of control government spending "

You said "Wrong. It’s the result of decades of cutting taxes for wealthy individuals and corporations "

Economics 101 .....If you need to borrow more money, you need to reduce your expenses first. 

Also here are some facts

"The Most Tax-Cutting US Presidents

John F. Kennedy, 1961-63

If today’s rich people complain that the wealthy shoulder too great a share of the tax burden, they should be happy that the highest rate in the top tax bracket is capped at 37%. According to The Atlantic, the top tax rate was often double that or more for over a decade after World War II — and all that revenue from the rich is what fueled the post-war boom.
President Eisenhower fought his own party to keep the highest tax rate at an astounding 90%, but President Kennedy finally lowered it to 70% upon taking office."
 ( from Gobankingrates.com )

And the US debt is now 123.4% of GDP as of Dec. 2022

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@prefix
Economics 101 .....If you need to borrow more money, you need to reduce your expenses first. 
In my house I just earn more money

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@prefix
John F. Kennedy, 1961-63
Bullshit. Kennedy reduced the top tax bracket from 90% to 70% as the debt from WWII was paid off.

Then Reagan cut the top bracket from 70 to 28%. And that was the beginning of the end of the American Middle Class 

and all that revenue from the rich is what fueled the post-war boom.
 Yes,  the government took that tax revenue and invested in their people with the GI Bill and VA home loans. What a concept. Now we saddle our young people with college debt after their grandparents got a free ride.
prefix
prefix
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
I said  "The Republican plan does much to improve the nation's economic health. "

You said "That’s not true. The Republican plan is designed to defund Biden’s initiatives and hopefully create a recession to improve Republicans chances in 2024."

You are taking a very narrow view of reality.

The plan will:  Limit federal spending to 2022 levels, Claw back COVID money, Reduce  the IRS, Block student loan relief, Put the USA on a course for energy self reliance" ( per PBS ).  

Another factor is that while the Republicans have passed a bill, the Democrats have put forth ZERO alternates. In fact after Schumer blasted the bill  "  he entered that same bill onto the Senate calendar under a special rule that allows it to bypass the Senate committee process and move right to the floor for consideration."

"You need to recognize bovine excrement so you don't find yourself swallowing it  lock stock and barrel"  - source unknown.

prefix
prefix
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
You said" In my house I just earn more money"

Bad analogy....the government "EARNS" nothing.

Debate me.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@prefix
The plan will:  Limit federal spending to 2022 levels, Claw back COVID money, Reduce  the IRS, Block student loan relief, Put the USA on a course for energy self reliance" 
Limit federal spending  - this will certainly decrease GDP growth. Government spending is a component of GDP.

Clawback Covid money - that will do nothing to improve the economy 

Reduce the IRS. - that will not help the economy 

Block student loan relief. - that will certainly hurt the economy 

Put the country on a course for energy self reliance - we are already energy self reliant. What we really need is modern clean energy. Not fossil fuels.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@prefix
That’s not true.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@prefix
House Republicans embarked on a campaign to leverage the debt ceiling to advance their political agenda, not “improve the economy”
prefix
prefix
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
Wrong again saying "Limit federal spending  - this will certainly decrease GDP growth. Government spending is a component of GDP."

Federal spending today is about 25% of GDP.

Federal outlays reached 40% of GDP in WW2 during a bonafide National emergency, and 31% during the COVID emergency.

The 25% is very high historically  absent an emergency.

Many economists believe that  consumer spending has a much greater impact on GDP. Thus as the government takes money away from consumers, the GDP drops.

prefix
prefix
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
You said" In my house I just earn more money"

You said, without evidence" that's not true.

Ford Motor Company earns money. GM earns money. Apple earns money. 

Motorola  earns money when a consumer purchases the Motorola product. If the consumer doesn't want it, they don't have to but it.

The government "earns money " the same  a thief does. They take it from a victim without consent.

The government "earns" so little as to be essentially nothing.

Debate me.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@prefix
Many economists believe that  consumer spending has a much greater impact on GDP.
Yes, consumer spending is 70% of GDP in this country. That’s why raising the minimum wage is good for GDP. The poor will spend the increase.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@prefix
Did the government earn interest on loans it made to corporations like AIG after the financial crash of 2008?
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@prefix
Debate me.
I’m guessing you would die early and hungry without Social Security and Medicare. Right?

prefix
prefix
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
 You said..."I’m guessing you would die early and hungry without Social Security and Medicare. Right?"

WRONG

Even though I paid into Social Security for years, I opted for a private pension that is far superior. No hunger here. My use of Medicare is very minimal . So you are wrong yet again.

Is there ANYTHiNG that the Democrats tell you that you do not believe?