The problem I see in the capitalist mindset

Author: Best.Korea

Total: 16
Best.Korea
Debates: 271
Best.Korea
If you have society based on self-interest of individuals, then people will only help you when they need you and they will abandon you when they no longer need you.

It seems that such mindset brings some problems along with benefits. One problem are "social outcasts", which are the result of society abandoning individuals due to a lack of need for those individuals.

Individuals who are not needed by society end up having no friends or companions. In other words, they become "social outcasts".

Therefore, if "social outcasts" are a guaranteed result of a capitalist mindset, and the mental illnesses are a guaranteed result of "social outcasts", it follows that mental illnesses are a guaranteed result of the capitalist mindset.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Best.Korea
I agree,
Though I would argue that society 'needs the outcasts not to bother them.
(Trade opportunity)

In the case of the mentally ill or down on their luck,
There is also the added moral pressure of you're supposed to help other people,
(Present in 'some capitalist societies, though perhaps not in the concept of capitalism itself)

Still, back to needing the outcasts not to bother them,
Assuming the capitalist society has human rights,
The capitalist society might be convinced to invest into projects/help, to mitigate the outcast problem in a humane fashion.
Savant
Debates: 23
Savant
-->
@Best.Korea
This is an argument for capitalism + welfare, not for communism. If people are that selfish, they won't work without incentives.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Lemming
The capitalist society might be convinced to invest into projects/help, to mitigate the outcast problem in a humane fashion.
Not really sure what project or help would solve the problem of social outcasts. If you force other people to spend time with social outcasts, that doesnt seem like capitalist society anymore. Social outcasts are not just those who cant have friends because people reject them, but also those who refuse to have friends due to previous bad experiences, such as their friends using them for their needs too much.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
Plenty of arguments could be made regarding social outcasts, including what people do to avoid being social outcasts.

Sometimes people end up in bad company because the only other option was no company.
Like when person gets rejected by plenty of people and ends up spending time with immoral people and criminals because the only other option was to be alone.

Sometimes people do bad things to avoid becoming social outcasts, like consuming harmful substances or engaging in activities that are harmful, such as crime or sex before marriage.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Best.Korea
Can you define social outcasts?

My definition 'was homeless, jobless, drug addicts, mental illnesses,
But now I see you may mean something different.

Lonely people who still 'have jobs?
People who work in society but don't have friends, lovers, or family?
Hikikomori?

I'd 'think social outcasts of the three questions I gave ilk,
Are 'far easier to solve,
There's not so much 'real 'life money trade in social life.
People can have hobbies,
Join sporting clubs, or other clubs like art,
Play games with other people,
Chat online with people.

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Lemming
Can you define social outcasts?
Well, I would mostly define them as lonely people, people with no friends in real life, people with little to no real life communication with others, people not accepted by others in social life.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Best.Korea
I'd argue that such individuals could be reached out to by projects/groups/help,
Encouraged to spend time with other people.

Though if the social outcasts are not causing trouble,
Then there is less reason (Trade),
For a 'purely capitalist society to fund the help group.
Though as Savant says,
"capitalism + welfare"
. .
It's not unusual for capitalist societies, to not be 'purely capitalist.
. . .

There also are the 'options available,
For social outcasts to reach out in modern society.

Though you say if "people reject them",
A broad statement,
There are many reasons individuals might be rejected,
And many methods to overcome or circumnavigated said rejection, 'other groups that might accept.

'Does become a bit harder if the individuals do not want to reach out themselves.
But that wraps back around to,
I'd argue that such individuals could be reached out to by projects/groups/help.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Lemming
I dont really see any capitalist society solving the problem of social outcasts.

"It can be solved" is meaningless, since no one who can solve it has interest to solve it.

Even in school, where plenty of people are in one place, there are outcasts who rarely talk to anyone or who communicate much less than others.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Best.Korea
Half a feeling of mine,
Then perhaps they deserve their situation.
I say half,
Because it's a sh***y thing to say.
, ,
And of course half false.
. . .
. . .

Do 'you have a desire to solve it? (Rhetorical thought, more at my musing, than at you)
. . .
. . .

The option is there,
And 'might be profitable even.

To reach out to individuals,
Encourage them to be active, mingle with others.

People 'might fund it, charity, Kickstarter, converts.

People stick around in movements sometimes,
Groups that give them meaning,
Or do something they think worthwhile.
. . . . . . 

There's a reason that online and phone scams work, though low chance, and only eventually,
Some people 'are lonely,
One could always take advantage of this psychology in a legal and moral fashion,
Make money (Trade)
Thus it becomes possible in Capitalist Society again.

@NoOneInParticular
The Sharing, The Yeerks, of the Animorph series.
Religion, Megachurches,
Those doorknockers, Jehovah's Witnesses, I don't mean this in a bad way,
Politics, Vegans,
Mass Movements.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@Best.Korea
Yes. That is the problem, except the rich dudes are too rich to know or care about what the average joe thinks. A worldwide problem.
YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Best.Korea
But you also have to put into consideration that in a capitalist society there is bound to be others that are nice enough to help these social outcasts. And programs that help people as such, do need these people. 
What are the qualifications for a social outcast?
You can't work?
You can't speak?
You can't function properly? 
What are the defining qualities of a social outcast?
It is in my belief that if you are mentally "retarded" in some since that the law should help you in some way thrive, given you can't make a decision on your own, but only if you can't. There are many cases, with people who have conditions like downsyndrom, who have lived the American Dream just by their own hard work, and no one around to help them. So, if you really can't function properly, then the law should help you. If you can in any way make a living, then it is on you, no matter how hard your life is to rise up to the challenge and become successful. That creates a stronger person in the end and there is no excuse for it. Most of the social outcasts you talk about today are only social outcasts because they have chosen to be. There are many ways to make a decent living especially in America of all places, and there is absolutely no excuse, if you are bodily and mentally abled to make a good living for yourself. 

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Most of the social outcasts you talk about today are only social outcasts because they have chosen to be.
We are talking about lonely people with no friends, not those who cant earn money.

Also, the assumption that people have chosen to be social outcasts does not negate the fact that capitalism created the choice of people to be social outcasts.

It is the capitalist mindset that allows and even encourages such choice.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Best.Korea
"Social outcasts".

Now that suggests to me, outcast by society.

Rather than self imposed social exclusion.

The clue is in the phrase "social outcast".
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@zedvictor4
You go by your clues then.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Best.Korea
GOD told me I was correct.