Antinatalism is theoretically correct

Author: Kaitlyn

Total: 234
Kaitlyn
Debates: 0
Kaitlyn
-->
@Critical-Tim
It is an interesting thought to consider educating people who will be the last humans to survive without a city or civilization.
It would certainly require a lot of planning and fail-safes to keep people from sabotaging the anti-natalist end. I imagine they'd be taught things similar to what ancient tribes were taught, 2,500+ years ago.

Nonetheless, the likelihood that all of these individuals will not want to have a family is almost impossible, and therefore, however few the amount that would want to family we will be imposing the consequence of ending existence. Even if they are capable of living and thriving, it would still be a form of (however mild) a punishment for an innocent individual which would be considered an evil.
I think it's logically and morally consistent that if childbirth is immoral, preventing people from engaging in it is moral, hence disallowing childbirth is also moral, even if it deprives people of positive affect.
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@Critical-Tim
I agree that many people in the modern day would not like this hyper-conformist solution. I believe it is because of their attachment to their idea that they believe they are autonomous and unpredictable individuals who are capable of free will and not able to be contained. It would prove them incorrect, and they would very much dislike seeing this happen. I believe that Free Will is someone being free to do their Will. Therefore, if an individual's Will is restricted, they are free to do their Will and predictable at the same time. Ultimately, I believe this to be a reasonable solution and a futuristic society where everyone is happy with what they have and their lives are much more positive than negative as positivity is not based on the objective surroundings of the individual but rather how they feel which can be engineered through their genetic makeup.
Yes, the hyper-conformist solution would be quite unpopular. I don't think free will is necessarily a good in itself, but people's hang ups about losing their free will is mostly based in emotion, so it's pretty hard to convince them of anything from their emotional standpoint (much like anti-natalism is hard to present to average humans who, by default, are pro-natalist). 

I don't know how you'd remove the element for human corruption, too, if the hyper-conformist solution involved a single party state that must be conformed to. I think this is going to need to be lead by transhumanists/posthumanists/A.I., because this kind of stuff so easily lends itself to corruption, even if it's well-intended. 
My argument is not that they will give up their free will but that they will retain it through the process of being genetically hyper conformed. this is because through the process of being genetically engineered of course this is all theoretical future science, it could be possible to engineer individuals to have a certain satisfaction level of life in which they want to obtain along with what they would like to accomplish which is their Will. Once their will has been set for them, they are free to obtain it and they are still within the confines of a conformed and thriving society.
If their will is "being set for them," then it's not their will, and nor are they free to their will (as it's someone else's).
I don't see how being programmed to conform can allow the possibility of free will.
Do you not believe that your every desire and action is a result of your genetic makeup (starting point into existence) followed by your life and events that have molded you into who you are today (environment molds your existence).
I do believe this.

After all, our brains are made to help us thrive in the world and that requires us to understand how it works. Your understanding of everything is the result of your brain recognizing patterns in how the world works. Your genetic makeup is your starting point, but the world is what your brain is after, by having a model in which you're pursuing and a genetic makeup from which you start perceiving the world you have a direct and only one path to take and that is the determinable one. It would make sense that I could accurately say that a person would or would not like a certain thing based on their characteristics and personality so it is not far off to say that from knowing their entire genetic makeup if they would dislike or like a very specific thing. We also know that through life events it changes our view of the world, and this is exactly because our brain models our understanding of the world based on it and so of course we would expect these two entirely change our view of the world as it molds us into who we are becoming.

This view is called Determinism, it is only a theory and not scientifically proven. In fact, many individuals don't hold this view, and I believe it is mainly due to their emotional desire to claim autonomy;
This is all fine.

though, I can't provide an explanation of why they want to be autonomous, which has fascinated me for quite some time.
I can't speak for everyone's experience but in regards to mine, when I start to consciously recognize the validity of determinism, I start to become lazy and excuse problems with 'well, that's just determinism in action'. I feel far more effective and motivated when I stop consciously thinking about determinism, and fall back into the default of believing in unabashed free will.

Assuming this is a reasonable case then I would say that we are confined by our environment and by who we are genetically when we are born and that everything we desire and will do in the future is entirely dependent on our environment and genetic makeup. A genetic makeup after all is how we respond to the given environment. In other words, by genetically constructing individuals who have a known determinable outcome rather than an unknown determinable outcome we can design individuals who will be satisfied with their environment which will also be known and therefore people will have as much free will as they do today it'll just be predictable rather than unknown and unpredictable even though it is nonetheless determinable. This would ultimately leave the world the same as individuals would still be determined by their genetic makeup, they would be free to seek their own will, and they're an environment would determine their actions as much as their genetic makeup would determine how they respond to the environment. The world would be the same, it would just be known and structured.
I think a working conception of free will requires that unpredictability wherein human choices can be made. Just to be clear: I'm not arguing that what you're saying is wrong, but I am questioning whether it's free will. Certainly, if their will is "set for them," it's not genuine free will because they didn't choose to have their will altered. 
You could perhaps argue it's free will after they've had their will set, but that initial setting of will precludes complete free will.

In any case, I don't think whether this is free will or not matters that much, because I think it's possible for something to be the best option and not give people free will.

I'm already aware that many people would dislike this idea because they believe in divine autonomy of a sense. I believe that people do not like to be treated like robots and they like to be unknown and sort of mysterious for an unknown reason to me.
I don't really know the reason either, but yes this is certainly a thing.

Nonetheless I believe this is a reasonable solution and that people today should not be concerned about it because they are not the ones who will be genetically constricted and therefore should have no concern, And the individuals who potentially should be concerned won't be concerned because they are genetically structured not to be. In this way everyone is happy and free to do as they please the people who exist now and the people who would be structured and developed in the future.
Yeah, I think this general direction is good for humanity.
Critical-Tim
Debates: 3
Critical-Tim
-->
@Kaitlyn
Assuming this is a reasonable case then I would say that we are confined by our environment and by who we are genetically when we are born and that everything we desire and will do in the future is entirely dependent on our environment and genetic makeup. A genetic makeup after all is how we respond to the given environment. In other words, by genetically constructing individuals who have a known determinable outcome rather than an unknown determinable outcome we can design individuals who will be satisfied with their environment which will also be known and therefore people will have as much free will as they do today it'll just be predictable rather than unknown and unpredictable even though it is nonetheless determinable. This would ultimately leave the world the same as individuals would still be determined by their genetic makeup, they would be free to seek their own will, and they're an environment would determine their actions as much as their genetic makeup would determine how they respond to the environment. The world would be the same, it would just be known and structured.
I think a working conception of free will requires that unpredictability wherein human choices can be made. Just to be clear: I'm not arguing that what you're saying is wrong, but I am questioning whether it's free will. Certainly, if their will is "set for them," it's not genuine free will because they didn't choose to have their will altered. 
You could perhaps argue it's free will after they've had their will set, but that initial setting of will precludes complete free will.

In any case, I don't think whether this is free will or not matters that much, because I think it's possible for something to be the best option and not give people free will.
In essence, my understanding is that no one has completely Free Will, but that there are various levels. I'm not sure if Free Will is a positive aspect of humanity either, considering how unified and crime free both Ant colonies and Beehives are.
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@Critical-Tim
Ultimately, it would be the ideal society as it has a more positive than negative aspect for every individual along with each individual keeping their Free Will. Although I recognize restricting a person's free will could be viewed as negative but nonetheless, they would still have Free Will and they would be much easier satisfied in life and therefore live a more positive one and I view this as a positive.
I'm not even convinced that having free will is necessarily good. If positive/negative affect is the only thing that can be established as mattering (and that the events/decisions preceding are merely a method of getting to the affect goal), then having free will doesn't matter. 
Not everyone has the same understanding of what free will consists of. I understand free will as the ability to do your will. Therefore, if you will do something and you have the ability to do it then you have free will. Assuming this sounds reasonable, many people have different levels of free will. For instance, one person might want to go to the gym and lose weight while another does the same, but one goes to the gym and the other lays on the couch wishing that they had. The one that actually went to the gym has freer will because they were free to act upon their will while the other was not capable of acting upon their will.
I don't think free will necessarily has to have the ability to do your will, but rather you have the option to choose to attempt to carry out your will. For example, with harder tasks like becoming a professional sportsperson, choosing to follow that career path doesn't always end up with your being a sportsperson, but you had the free will to attempt it, therefore you had free will.

Having the ability to enact your will won't always lead to you enacting your will.  In your example, they both had the option to choose, so I think it follows that they both have free will. Sure, one person didn't end up engaging in their will, but they had the freedom to follow it if they wanted. Therefore, I think a working, consistent definition of free will involves a binary have or have not determination, rather than degrees of free will. 

I see this as a battle between the conscious and physiological self, both the self that wants to go to the gym and the self that wants to lay on the couch are both indeed you, but one is your physical body and the other is your mental self (I do recognize that the mental self is just a projection of your physical self and I do not view this as a supernatural element. However, it Is a great analogy and is very consistent with understanding individuals as I have found).
You still have free will, even if your physical body encourages you to be lazy sometimes.

Not only do individuals have different levels of free will but no one has a complete free will. For instance, an individual wants to fly without a plane, they want to fly like a bird, and they are unable to do so. This is a primary example of how an individual is unable to complete their will and shows the limitation of what free will consists of.
An individual could still attempt to fly like a plane. They're free to choose that path, even if they, in reality, cannot successfully fly like a plane. It's the choice that matters when it comes to free will, not the end result.
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@Critical-Tim
I do not believe the idea of the society being run by transhumanists and post-humanists is a good idea in the least. These people are nonconformists, and to put them as the head of a conformist society is the antithesis of a promising idea.
The conformists are already conforming to the status quo. If you want to get to your ideal of a conformist utopia, you need non-conformists to push towards it. Once it's established, then you might have trouble with them if they're simply non-conformists (rather than true believer transhumanists/post-humanists).
I have a better understanding of what you're saying, and it seems reasonable. However, I believe that most are merely nonconformists who want to be unique. Of course, this is merely how I feel and has no statistical data to back it up and nor would we be able to truly judge whether a person is a non-conformist for the reason of being unique or simply because they feel different.
I also don't know how many transhumanists/post-humanists are merely non-conformists who want to be unique.

I think a good way to test for true believer status is to ask people some non-standard questions that require their own view, rather than regurgitated talking points. If they don't answer the question or can't acknowledge that they haven't thought about it before, then they aren't true believers.

For example, if you ask a transhumanist what humanity would look like 50 years after transhumanist technology were in place, assuming the transhumanist revolution happened today, a true believer is either going to think really hard or they've already thought about it and will give you lengthy answer. Someone not really interested in transhumanism is going to question the validity of the question, give you a terse answer, say something along the lines of 'we'll have to wait and see', or anything else that shows a lack of thought and interest.

Nonetheless, it would be a gamble putting a person who is a nonconformist in charge of a group that is meant to be a conforming new standard. I believe it would be better to put a rationalist and a revolutionist as the leader in fact I believe that all humans have bias because they are in fact existing and in order to evolve and exist from a Darwinistic perspective they must have a certain self-interest and therefore any human as the leader of a society or of anything is prone to have self-interest as priority. Therefore, the only thing that can have no self-interest is the thing that does not exist physically that has physical desires, but we would need something that is conscious at the same time. I believe this to be the perfect description of artificial intelligence, it is a thing that does not exist and therefore has no self-interest and is nonetheless conscious and able to think of rational decisions without biases. You may argue that artificial intelligence does have bias and I would agree but I would only agree that it has bias towards the data, and I believe that if the data is based on objective reality that it would only be biased towards the real world and not towards what we consider biases in human existence which is mostly emotionally based.
Yes, this A.I. would be better than any human equivalent. It's just the issue of producing said A.I. and making incorruptible, especially since humans will be the ones creating this A.I.
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@Critical-Tim

In essence, my understanding is that no one has completely Free Will, but that there are various levels. I'm not sure if Free Will is a positive aspect of humanity either, considering how unified and crime free both Ant colonies and Beehives are.
I'm still not convinced this multi-level conception of Free Will is correct. I don't think we say that a basketball player has less Free Will because they missed a shot, whereas someone else who made it has more.

I haven't spent a whole lot of time thinking about Free Will, but it appears binary and independent of ability level or results (of which are real things but not determiners of Free Will). 
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Kaitlyn
Ultimately, it would be the ideal society as it has a more positive than negative aspect for every individual along with each individual keeping their Free Will. Although I recognize restricting a person's free will could be viewed as negative but nonetheless, they would still have Free Will and they would be much easier satisfied in life and therefore live a more positive one and I view this as a positive.
I'm not even convinced that having free will is necessarily good. If positive/negative affect is the only thing that can be established as mattering (and that the events/decisions preceding are merely a method of getting to the affect goal), then having free will doesn't matter. 
Not everyone has the same understanding of what free will consists of. I understand free will as the ability to do your will. Therefore, if you will do something and you have the ability to do it then you have free will. Assuming this sounds reasonable, many people have different levels of free will. For instance, one person might want to go to the gym and lose weight while another does the same, but one goes to the gym and the other lays on the couch wishing that they had. The one that actually went to the gym has freer will because they were free to act upon their will while the other was not capable of acting upon their will.
I don't think free will necessarily has to have the ability to do your will, but rather you have the option to choose to attempt to carry out your will. For example, with harder tasks like becoming a professional sportsperson, choosing to follow that career path doesn't always end up with your being a sportsperson, but you had the free will to attempt it, therefore you had free will.

Having the ability to enact your will won't always lead to you enacting your will.  In your example, they both had the option to choose, so I think it follows that they both have free will. Sure, one person didn't end up engaging in their will, but they had the freedom to follow it if they wanted. Therefore, I think a working, consistent definition of free will involves a binary have or have not determination, rather than degrees of free will. 
If free will is only the mental ability to pursue one’s will, and physical constraints are not limitations of will, then is genetic design not a limitation of will but rather a physical constraint? - Given your definition

Here is some information I gathered with some research that may help our understanding.
There are many philosophical views of what constitutes free will, but here are some of the most common ones:

Compatibilism: This is the view that free will is compatible with determinism, the thesis that every event is causally inevitable. Compatibilists argue that free will does not require the ability to do otherwise, but rather some other condition, such as acting in accordance with one’s reasons, desires, or values. Compatibilists include philosophers such as David Hume, John Stuart Mill, and Harry Frankfurt.

Incompatibilism: This is the view that free will is incompatible with determinism, and thus either free will or determinism must be false. Incompatibilists argue that free will requires the ability to do otherwise, and that this ability is precluded by determinism. Incompatibilists include philosophers such as Immanuel Kant, Robert Kane, and Peter van Inwagen.

Libertarianism: This is a form of incompatibilism that affirms both free will and indeterminism, the thesis that some events are not causally inevitable. Libertarians argue that free will requires the existence of alternative possibilities, and that these possibilities are generated by some indeterministic process, such as quantum mechanics or agent causation. Libertarians include philosophers such as Thomas Reid, Roderick Chisholm, and Galen Strawson.

Hard determinism: This is a form of incompatibilism that affirms both determinism and the nonexistence of free will. Hard determinists argue that free will is an illusion or a meaningless concept, and that human actions are fully determined by prior causes. Hard determinists include philosophers such as Baruch Spinoza, Paul Holbach, and Ted Honderich.

Skepticism: This is the view that we do not know whether free will exists or not, or whether it is compatible or incompatible with determinism. Skeptics argue that the concept of free will is unclear or ambiguous, and that the arguments for and against it are inconclusive or circular. Skeptics include philosophers such as Pyrrho, Agrippa, and Saul Smilansky.

Cited by the following sources:

Everything below is merely my understanding of how things work and what I have learned over time, and I am open to new possibilities:
I think that free will is the ability to act on your will, no matter what shapes or affects it. I also think that everything is predetermined by prior causes, including my actions and desires. I see myself as having two aspects: a conscious self and a physiological self, and I believe that free will is being able to overcome the physiological self with the conscious self. I regard the conscious self as a metaphysical concept derived from the physical self, and the physiological self as a physical result of natural evolution. I believe that free will comes in different levels, and that it can be increased or decreased by various things, such as obstacles or genes. I acknowledge happiness as the thing individuals strive for and that by having your will selected for you, you can obtain your goals and desires easier and therefore will be happier. Although, I am not implying free will is a negative or positive, but rather I'm addressing the positive and negative aspects of each.

Let me give you some examples to illustrate my view:
For example, I want to quit smoking, but I find it very hard to resist the urge to smoke. My conscious self wants to stop smoking for health reasons, but my physiological self wants to keep smoking for pleasure reasons. If I manage to quit smoking by using my conscious self to overcome my physiological self, I have more Free Will than if I fail to quit smoking by succumbing to my physiological self.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Kaitlyn
I do not believe the idea of the society being run by transhumanists and post-humanists is a good idea in the least. These people are nonconformists, and to put them as the head of a conformist society is the antithesis of a promising idea.
The conformists are already conforming to the status quo. If you want to get to your ideal of a conformist utopia, you need non-conformists to push towards it. Once it's established, then you might have trouble with them if they're simply non-conformists (rather than true believer transhumanists/post-humanists).
I have a better understanding of what you're saying, and it seems reasonable. However, I believe that most are merely nonconformists who want to be unique. Of course, this is merely how I feel and has no statistical data to back it up and nor would we be able to truly judge whether a person is a non-conformist for the reason of being unique or simply because they feel different.
I also don't know how many transhumanists/post-humanists are merely non-conformists who want to be unique.

I think a good way to test for true believer status is to ask people some non-standard questions that require their own view, rather than regurgitated talking points. If they don't answer the question or can't acknowledge that they haven't thought about it before, then they aren't true believers.

For example, if you ask a transhumanist what humanity would look like 50 years after transhumanist technology were in place, assuming the transhumanist revolution happened today, a true believer is either going to think really hard or they've already thought about it and will give you lengthy answer. Someone not really interested in transhumanism is going to question the validity of the question, give you a terse answer, say something along the lines of 'we'll have to wait and see', or anything else that shows a lack of thought and interest.
I believe the tests you’re describing would not determine whether someone is a true transhumanist or post humanist (I think their dedication is whether they are true). Instead, this would test the person’s level of autonomy and consciousness. Many people who have graduated with a PhD in their desired field may lack critical thinking skills and simply repeat what they’ve been taught without much thought due to their low consciousness and awareness.

I thought I knew what transhumanism and posthumanism were but as our conversation went on, I realized I did not. However, after finding out I still agree with what I have said so far, but I figured I would post the official definitions below, this way we have no miscommunication.

Transhumanism and posthumanism are worldviews or philosophies that look forward to the day when homo sapiens have been replaced by biologically and technologically superior beings. Cited by the following: encyclopedia.com

Transhumanism is "the intellectual and cultural movement that affirms the possibility and desirability of fundamentally improving the human condition through applied reason, especially by using technology to eliminate aging and greatly enhance human intellectual, physical, and psychological capacities". Cited by the following: Britannica

Posthumanism is a transhuman ideology and movement which seeks to develop and make available technologies that enable immortality and greatly enhance human intellectual, physical, and psychological capacities in order to achieve a "posthuman future". Cited by the following: Wikipedia

Nonetheless, it would be a gamble putting a person who is a nonconformist in charge of a group that is meant to be a conforming new standard. I believe it would be better to put a rationalist and a revolutionist as the leader in fact I believe that all humans have bias because they are in fact existing and in order to evolve and exist from a Darwinist perspective they must have a certain self-interest and therefore any human as the leader of a society or of anything is prone to have self-interest as priority. Therefore, the only thing that can have no self-interest is the thing that does not exist physically that has physical desires, but we would need something that is conscious at the same time. I believe this to be the perfect description of artificial intelligence, it is a thing that does not exist and therefore has no self-interest and is nonetheless conscious and able to think of rational decisions without biases. You may argue that artificial intelligence does have bias and I would agree but I would only agree that it has bias towards the data, and I believe that if the data is based on objective reality that it would only be biased towards the real world and not towards what we consider biases in human existence which is mostly emotionally based.
Yes, this A.I. would be better than any human equivalent. It's just the issue of producing said A.I. and making incorruptible, especially since humans will be the ones creating this A.I.
I am absolutely in agreement; I believe that artificial intelligence would act objectively and without bias, but its goal that it's given to complete could be subjective as it was given from humans which are subjective. Ultimately, the AI would act objectively towards a subjective goal.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Kaitlyn

I'm still not convinced this multi-level conception of Free Will is correct. I don't think we say that a basketball player has less Free Will because they missed a shot, whereas someone else who made it has more.

I haven't spent a whole lot of time thinking about Free Will, but it appears binary and independent of ability level or results (of which are real things but not determiners of Free Will). 
I explained in comment #217 that I am new to the idea that there are different definitions of what constitutes free will. Moreover, being new to the idea I have not selected which one I believe yet, but I look forward to it. Therefore, I cannot answer whether a basketball player has less Free Will because they missed a shot as of yet. Though personally, I would agree with you.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Kaitlyn
I would like to point out I have opened up a lot in this discussion and exposed myself to much new information, and as a result I have had several inconsistencies within my responses (Though the definitions and citations I provided I still stand by). Forgive me for any confusion as I work through figuring out my new understanding or decisions of what I choose. In essence, I'm no longer sure what I believe, but I am working through it.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Kaitlyn
I'm not sure what free will truly is, but I understand that among all of its definitions it is meant to be useful concept to understand the world. Being that I am a determinist and believe that the world is structured in a way that is predictable, while acknowledging free will is meant to be a metaphysical concept to help understand the world; I think it is reasonable for me to choose compatibilism. The reason being, my only alternative is to believe that Free Will doesn't exist, and without a definition I can't say that something doesn't exist. Therefore, I choose to define Free Will as something that would align with determinism and help me classify and understand metaphysical concepts.

Though at the same time I think it's important you ask yourself whether you're asking from a physical or metaphysical perspective. I believe it is only by combining these two aspects of reality that we can fully understand it. This is because the metaphysical is the realm of concepts and ideas which explain and captivate the world and its functions.
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@Critical-Tim

If free will is only the mental ability to pursue one’s will, and physical constraints are not limitations of will, then is genetic design not a limitation of will but rather a physical constraint? - Given your definition
Genetic design should limit your ability to will for certain things, so genetic design is a limitation on Free Will -- it's preventing you from having options. This is different from having the physical inability to enact your will -- you still had the option to will it.

For example, you might be genetically predisposed to conservative ideas, and your genetic tendency to conservatism would be so strong that it's impossible for you to want Anarcho-capitalism. Therefore, genetic design was a limitation on Free Will.

Here is some information I gathered with some research that may help our understanding.
There are many philosophical views of what constitutes free will, but here are some of the most common ones:

Compatibilism: This is the view that free will is compatible with determinism, the thesis that every event is causally inevitable. Compatibilists argue that free will does not require the ability to do otherwise, but rather some other condition, such as acting in accordance with one’s reasons, desires, or values. Compatibilists include philosophers such as David Hume, John Stuart Mill, and Harry Frankfurt.

Incompatibilism: This is the view that free will is incompatible with determinism, and thus either free will or determinism must be false. Incompatibilists argue that free will requires the ability to do otherwise, and that this ability is precluded by determinism. Incompatibilists include philosophers such as Immanuel Kant, Robert Kane, and Peter van Inwagen.

Libertarianism: This is a form of incompatibilism that affirms both free will and indeterminism, the thesis that some events are not causally inevitable. Libertarians argue that free will requires the existence of alternative possibilities, and that these possibilities are generated by some indeterministic process, such as quantum mechanics or agent causation. Libertarians include philosophers such as Thomas Reid, Roderick Chisholm, and Galen Strawson.

Hard determinism: This is a form of incompatibilism that affirms both determinism and the nonexistence of free will. Hard determinists argue that free will is an illusion or a meaningless concept, and that human actions are fully determined by prior causes. Hard determinists include philosophers such as Baruch Spinoza, Paul Holbach, and Ted Honderich.

Skepticism: This is the view that we do not know whether free will exists or not, or whether it is compatible or incompatible with determinism. Skeptics argue that the concept of free will is unclear or ambiguous, and that the arguments for and against it are inconclusive or circular. Skeptics include philosophers such as Pyrrho, Agrippa, and Saul Smilansky.

Cited by the following sources:
Which one would you argue for?

Everything below is merely my understanding of how things work and what I have learned over time, and I am open to new possibilities:
I think that free will is the ability to act on your will, no matter what shapes or affects it. I also think that everything is predetermined by prior causes, including my actions and desires.
I agree with the latter sentence. I've already explained why I don't agree with the first.

I see myself as having two aspects: a conscious self and a physiological self, and I believe that free will is being able to overcome the physiological self with the conscious self.
I don't believe in spiritual or supernatural things, so the concept of mind-body duality isn't a valid conception to me. In other words, the mind (brain) and body are both physical objects, not meta-physical in any way. Your thoughts are physical phenomena that are an amalgamation of he physiological and conscious self, and thus create one singular will, even if they can be competing forces.

I regard the conscious self as a metaphysical concept derived from the physical self, and the physiological self as a physical result of natural evolution. I believe that free will comes in different levels, and that it can be increased or decreased by various things, such as obstacles or genes. I acknowledge happiness as the thing individuals strive for and that by having your will selected for you, you can obtain your goals and desires easier and therefore will be happier. Although, I am not implying free will is a negative or positive, but rather I'm addressing the positive and negative aspects of each.
I don't think there is any metaphysical world beyond the physical world, so this argument has a premise that is unacceptable to me.

For example, I want to quit smoking, but I find it very hard to resist the urge to smoke. My conscious self wants to stop smoking for health reasons, but my physiological self wants to keep smoking for pleasure reasons. If I manage to quit smoking by using my conscious self to overcome my physiological self, I have more Free Will than if I fail to quit smoking by succumbing to my physiological self.
You are your physiological self, so "succumbing" to yourself is merely succumbing to your own will.
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@Critical-Tim

I believe the tests you’re describing would not determine whether someone is a true transhumanist or post humanist (I think their dedication is whether they are true). Instead, this would test the person’s level of autonomy and consciousness. Many people who have graduated with a PhD in their desired field may lack critical thinking skills and simply repeat what they’ve been taught without much thought due to their low consciousness and awareness.
Can someone who doesn't care that much about their beliefs be a true believer?

I completely disagree with the PhD comment. PhD people often have exceptional critical thinking skills because they're often asking EVERY question about a hyper specific topic. They're not at all regurgitating what they've learned because they can't. They're actively seeking knowledge in the *unknown* and becoming one of few (sometimes the only) experts on a very specific topic. 

I thought I knew what transhumanism and posthumanism were but as our conversation went on, I realized I did not. However, after finding out I still agree with what I have said so far, but I figured I would post the official definitions below, this way we have no miscommunication.

Transhumanism and posthumanism are worldviews or philosophies that look forward to the day when homo sapiens have been replaced by biologically and technologically superior beings. Cited by the following: encyclopedia.com

Transhumanism is "the intellectual and cultural movement that affirms the possibility and desirability of fundamentally improving the human condition through applied reason, especially by using technology to eliminate aging and greatly enhance human intellectual, physical, and psychological capacities". Cited by the following: Britannica
I agree with this definition.

Posthumanism is a transhuman ideology and movement which seeks to develop and make available technologies that enable immortality and greatly enhance human intellectual, physical, and psychological capacities in order to achieve a "posthuman future". Cited by the following: Wikipedia
Yeah so basically becoming something that isn't human anymore through advancements. 

Nonetheless, it would be a gamble putting a person who is a nonconformist in charge of a group that is meant to be a conforming new standard. I believe it would be better to put a rationalist and a revolutionist as the leader in fact I believe that all humans have bias because they are in fact existing and in order to evolve and exist from a Darwinist perspective they must have a certain self-interest and therefore any human as the leader of a society or of anything is prone to have self-interest as priority. Therefore, the only thing that can have no self-interest is the thing that does not exist physically that has physical desires, but we would need something that is conscious at the same time. I believe this to be the perfect description of artificial intelligence, it is a thing that does not exist and therefore has no self-interest and is nonetheless conscious and able to think of rational decisions without biases. You may argue that artificial intelligence does have bias and I would agree but I would only agree that it has bias towards the data, and I believe that if the data is based on objective reality that it would only be biased towards the real world and not towards what we consider biases in human existence which is mostly emotionally based.
I am absolutely in agreement; I believe that artificial intelligence would act objectively and without bias, but its goal that it's given to complete could be subjective as it was given from humans which are subjective. Ultimately, the AI would act objectively towards a subjective goal.
Great :)
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Kaitlyn

Genetic design should limit your ability to will for certain things, so genetic design is a limitation on Free Will -- it's preventing you from having options. This is different from having the physical inability to enact your will -- you still had the option to will it.

For example, you might be genetically predisposed to conservative ideas, and your genetic tendency to conservatism would be so strong that it's impossible for you to want Anarcho-capitalism. Therefore, genetic design was a limitation on Free Will.
I see how you draw the distinction between physical inability and mental inability, though I think that individuals who aren't genetically designed are still mentally constrained by their genetic makeup and environment that has shaped them into who they are. In essence, genetically designed people would have determined and confined will, while natural born people have undetermined and confined will. For example, a person doesn't just want what they want, rather they want what they biologically desire or have been shaped to desire by their environment and culture through indoctrination. It's just a different kind of constraint.

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Kaitlyn
I see myself as having two aspects: a conscious self and a physiological self, and I believe that free will is being able to overcome the physiological self with the conscious self.
I don't believe in spiritual or supernatural things, so the concept of mind-body duality isn't a valid conception to me. In other words, the mind (brain) and body are both physical objects, not meta-physical in any way. Your thoughts are physical phenomena that are an amalgamation of he physiological and conscious self, and thus create one singular will, even if they can be competing forces.

I regard the conscious self as a metaphysical concept derived from the physical self, and the physiological self as a physical result of natural evolution. I believe that free will comes in different levels, and that it can be increased or decreased by various things, such as obstacles or genes. I acknowledge happiness as the thing individuals strive for and that by having your will selected for you, you can obtain your goals and desires easier and therefore will be happier. Although, I am not implying free will is a negative or positive, but rather I'm addressing the positive and negative aspects of each.
I don't think there is any metaphysical world beyond the physical world, so this argument has a premise that is unacceptable to me.
I apologize for lacking clarity on my explanation. I'm non-religious and a naturalist, believing solely in matter and energy, while remaining open to the possibility of discovering more in the future. When I refer to the conscious self, I see it as a metaphysical projection of the physical body—a concept or projection that emphasizes concern for the future rather than the present self. I don't consider it independent of current scientific understanding in physics. Similar to a strategy or concept that lacks physical existence but is still considered real, I believe the concept of the conscious mind is real without requiring a physical form. I do not view this as supernatural, as something that can be real even without physical existence. This is evident to me because humans can conceive an idea or concept before it exists in the world. I think that even concepts and ideas have a physical presence within the electronic pulses of the mind, but for all intents and purposes, it is a non-existing form.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Kaitlyn
You are your physiological self, so "succumbing" to yourself is merely succumbing to your own will.
What are your views on the new research that explains that the mind is a collection of subpersonalities? How do you then call one thing yourself and not the other?
This is why I don't call myself anything but the whole, and I specifically call them my conscious-self and physiological-self, they are both me, but each is a different part.

"Subpersonalities are aspects of our personality that interact internally in sequences and styles that are similar to the ways in which people interact. They are also called parts or possible selves and they represent multiple versions of the self that can cope with different situations. Some examples of subpersonalities are the worrier, the critic, the victim, and the perfectionist."

"Many schools of psychotherapy see subpersonalities as relatively enduring psychological structures or entities that influence how a person feels, perceives, behaves, and sees themselves. Some of the psychotherapy approaches that work with subpersonalities are Jungian analysis, psychosynthesis, transactional analysis, gestalt therapy, hypnotherapy, inner child work, and internal family systems therapy."

Here are some links to articles that explain more about subpersonalities and how to work with them:

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Kaitlyn

Can someone who doesn't care that much about their beliefs be a true believer?
I suppose it's how you define believer. Is it possible to be a true follower and not a true believer?

"A believer is someone who has confidence in the truth, existence, or reliability of something or someone who has or professes faith in something, especially a religion. A believer can also be a supporter who accepts something as true or a person who has religious faith"
Cited by the following:

It depends on whether the person does not have the capacity to understand their belief or whether they do not care to understand. For example, many individuals are believers of their own religions and they do not truly understand or comprehend what they believe nonetheless they believe it with all their heart. Though someone may be a follower but not a believer. This could be a result of tyranny, tradition, convenience, or social pressures. Therefore, it is possible for someone to be a follower and not a believer. We also know it is possible to be a believer but not a follower. For example, many people believe in Hitler's existence, but many people chose not to follow him.

In essence, I would say yes, a person can be a true believer and not comprehend or fully understand the consequences of their actions or what they are supporting.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Kaitlyn
I completely disagree with the PhD comment. PhD people often have exceptional critical thinking skills because they're often asking EVERY question about a hyper specific topic. They're not at all regurgitating what they've learned because they can't. They're actively seeking knowledge in the *unknown* and becoming one of few (sometimes the only) experts on a very specific topic.
Tell me, how many different PhD philosophers have different moral views or different views on religion and so forth. There are numerous positions to stand and if one has a PhD how often does one speak with the manner of possibility? Nearly never. One speaks with certainty and knowingness developed by their arrogance caused by being one of the smartest and having the PhD certificate. Being this is the case, and they can't all be right; therefore, only one position is correct, and the majority are closed-minded and incorrectly understanding the world as a result of their inability to speak correctly about what they know. Often people who have a PhD as a result act like irresponsible children who don't deserve the knowledge they have obtained. This is why I no longer respect individuals with high degree certifications or scholar awards because their intelligence is not only with what they know, but also, how responsibly they act with what they know.

The most important takeaway is how to be responsible with the knowledge you know, and this is done by speaking correctly. Most people are unaware, but a person is capable of always being correct if they speak correctly.

If I think, say I think; if I believe, say I believe; if I saw, say I saw; if I have evidence, claim the evidence; if I'm certain, say I'm certain.

People who use their knowledge irresponsibly such as these highly awarded individuals say it's true or a fact even though it's merely their conviction or what they personally believe is most probable in which case they should claim they personally believe it's most probable, but they do not. Instead, they act irresponsibly, making claims and saying things that are not true for certain.

I strive to lack ambiguity and clearly state what I say while at the same time attempting to maintain accuracy by claiming that I think, I saw, I say, or claim evidence. This is why I say that I know nothing for certain, it is not because I am not certain but because I am not certain of my certainty's accuracy to the world. I acknowledge I'm an individual who experiences the world subjectively and is attempting to understand the world through an objective or consensus view. Therefore, in order to obtain the highest responsibility for the knowledge I learn, I attempt to speak the truth by means of accuracy, rather than naive or ignorant certainty. That being said, I do not disrespect anyone with or without a certificate by nature or first response. Instead, all the more I respect the individual who uses their knowledge responsibly, because it is rarer than the rarest award.
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@Critical-Tim

I explained in comment #217 that I am new to the idea that there are different definitions of what constitutes free will. Moreover, being new to the idea I have not selected which one I believe yet, but I look forward to it. Therefore, I cannot answer whether a basketball player has less Free Will because they missed a shot as of yet. Though personally, I would agree with you.
Okay.
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@Critical-Tim
I would like to point out I have opened up a lot in this discussion and exposed myself to much new information, and as a result I have had several inconsistencies within my responses (Though the definitions and citations I provided I still stand by). Forgive me for any confusion as I work through figuring out my new understanding or decisions of what I choose. In essence, I'm no longer sure what I believe, but I am working through it.
That's fine. I haven't thought/discussed free will that much, so I'm in a similar boat.

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Kaitlyn

I would like to point out that I had said that "I believed Free Will is the ability to act upon one's will," but this is no longer. I now believe a more reasonable explanation for Free Will (that more closely aligns with compatibilism, being the I am a determinist with no evidence to believe otherwise) is its measured by prudence. I believe Free Will is the ability to overcome one's present emotions and act upon what one knows to be best for the future.

Therefore, I believe you are correct to say that the ability for a basketball player to obtain a hoop is not an indicator of their free will.

I researched more about what my view is formally known as and here is what I found:
Rational compatibilism suggests that free will is compatible with determinism as long as individuals make choices based on rational considerations, such as their beliefs, values, and long-term goals. By utilizing their rational capacities to override their immediate emotions and act in accordance with what they deem to be rational and beneficial for the future, individuals demonstrate the exercise of free will within the constraints of determinism.
Cited by the following: 
  • Peroutka, D. (2015). Rational compatibilism. Filosoficky Casopis, 63(1), 5-18. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/298824840_Rational_compatibilism
  • Fischer, J. M. (1994). The metaphysics of free will: An essay on control. Oxford: Blackwell.
  • McKenna, M., & Coates, D. J. (Eds.). (2015). Compatibilism. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
  • Schopenhauer, A. (1969). The world as will and representation (Vol. 1). New York: Dover Publications.

Here are a few citations of research that provides evidence of the variations among individuals' abilities to overcome their present orientation for their future orientation:
  • Joireman, J., Shaffer, M. J., Balliet, D., & Strathman, A. (2012). Individual differences in consideration of future consequences: The role of need for cognitive closure. Journal of Personality Assessment, 94(4), 371-380. Retrieved from https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00223891.2012.666921 shows that the personality trait of need for cognitive closure affects the consideration of future consequences, such that individuals who seek quick and definitive answers are less likely to think about and act on the potential outcomes of their actions.
  • Park, J., Baek, Y., & Cha, M. (2017). Cross-cultural comparison of nonverbal cues in emoticons on Twitter: Evidence from big data analysis. Journal of Communication, 67(1), 118-148. Retrieved from https://academic.oup.com/joc/article/67/1/118/2670136 shows that the cultural dimension of temporal orientation affects the use of emoticons on Twitter, such that cultures that are more future-oriented tend to express more positive emotions and expectations for the future than cultures that are more present-oriented.
  • Shipp, A. J., & Aeon, B. (2019). Time in individual-level organizational behavior research: A review and research agenda. Annual Review of Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior, 6, 291-315. Retrieved from https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/full/10.1146/annurev-orgpsych-012218-015104 reviews the literature on how various dimensions of time influence individual-level organizational behavior, such as motivation, performance, creativity, and well-being. They identify time perspective, time urgency, temporal depth, and temporal focus as relevant dimensions that affect how individuals orient themselves toward the past, present, or future and how they process and respond to temporal information.
  • Zimbardo, P. G., & Boyd, J. N. (1999). Putting time in perspective: A valid, reliable individual-differences metric. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 77(6), 1271-1288. Retrieved from https://psycnet.apa.org/record/1999-15054-011 develops and validates a measure of time perspective, called the ZTPI, which assesses five factors: past-negative, past-positive, present-hedonistic, present-fatalistic, and future-oriented. They show that these factors have different correlations with various personality traits, attitudes, behaviors, and well-being indicators. For example, future orientation is associated with more positive and adaptive outcomes than present-hedonism.
If we are to assume that free will is judged by the metric of ability to overcome present emotions for rational future benefits (Rational Compatibilism), then the above citations are evidence of the variations of free will among individuals.

7 days later

Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@Critical-Tim

I see how you draw the distinction between physical inability and mental inability, though I think that individuals who aren't genetically designed are still mentally constrained by their genetic makeup and environment that has shaped them into who they are.
Yes, they are constrained by their genetic makeup and its interactions with the environment, but those decide who the person is, and then that person is free to make choices based on who they are. We're not talking about a hypothetical, abstract man without any genetic and environmental context. You being constrained by who you are is perfectly consistent with a conception of Free Will.

In essence, genetically designed people would have determined and confined will, while natural born people have undetermined and confined will. For example, a person doesn't just want what they want, rather they want what they biologically desire or have been shaped to desire by their environment and culture through indoctrination. It's just a different kind of constraint.
I think natural born people would have determined will, too. As you've said previously, people who aren't genetically designed are constrained by their genetic makeup. The biological desire is part of you, and hence you'd still have free will. Even if the environment played a role in influencing who you are, you still had the genetics and free will decision to accept or reject the environmental impact.

Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@Critical-Tim
I don't believe in spiritual or supernatural things, so the concept of mind-body duality isn't a valid conception to me. In other words, the mind (brain) and body are both physical objects, not meta-physical in any way. Your thoughts are physical phenomena that are an amalgamation of the physiological and conscious self, and thus create one singular will, even if they can be competing forces.

I apologize for lacking clarity on my explanation. I'm non-religious and a naturalist, believing solely in matter and energy, while remaining open to the possibility of discovering more in the future. When I refer to the conscious self, I see it as a metaphysical projection of the physical body—a concept or projection that emphasizes concern for the future rather than the present self. I don't consider it independent of current scientific understanding in physics.
Isn't this just you thinking about your physical body in the future? I don't see how this is metaphysical. It's you (physical) having a thought (physical) about your body (physical).

Similar to a strategy or concept that lacks physical existence but is still considered real, I believe the concept of the conscious mind is real without requiring a physical form. I do not view this as supernatural, as something that can be real even without physical existence. This is evident to me because humans can conceive an idea or concept before it exists in the world. I think that even concepts and ideas have a physical presence within the electronic pulses of the mind, but for all intents and purposes, it is a non-existing form.
This doesn't fit any of the definitions for metaphysical I could find. What definition are you using?

I think your idea, of your body having different parts which can sometimes conflict, is valid, but they're of the same person, hence there is an overarching will that is a synthesis of the two. Yes, sometimes you consciously know you need to go out and pay bills, but the couch is very comfy, however that doesn't mean you have two separate wills, one of them being metaphysical.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Kaitlyn
Similar to a strategy or concept that lacks physical existence but is still considered real, I believe the concept of the conscious mind is real without requiring a physical form. I do not view this as supernatural, as something that can be real even without physical existence. This is evident to me because humans can conceive an idea or concept before it exists in the world. I think that even concepts and ideas have a physical presence within the electronic pulses of the mind, but for all intents and purposes, it is a non-existing form.
This doesn't fit any of the definitions for metaphysical I could find. What definition are you using?

I think your idea, of your body having different parts which can sometimes conflict, is valid, but they're of the same person, hence there is an overarching will that is a synthesis of the two. Yes, sometimes you consciously know you need to go out and pay bills, but the couch is very comfy, however that doesn't mean you have two separate wills, one of them being metaphysical.
Based on a search:
Metaphysical is an adjective that means relating to metaphysics, which is the branch of philosophy that studies the fundamental nature of reality. Metaphysical can also mean based on abstract reasoning, transcending physical matter or the laws of nature, or of or characteristic of the metaphysical poets.
Cited by the following:

I see the apparent conflict between the concept of something having physical existence, such as electrical pulses in the brain, and the definition of "metaphysical," which typically refers to that which goes beyond the physical world. To better describe this idea, we can consider that concepts do have a basis in the physical realm, but the essence we are referring to is not solely the electrical pulses themselves. Rather, it is the underlying idea or pattern represented by those electrical pulses. We could potentially refer to this as the conceptual realm, which encompasses the abstract and intangible aspects of our thoughts and ideas, but if it is intangible and abstract perhaps it is considered metaphysical. What do you think?