how to reconcile 'eternal punishment' with God's love

Author: n8nrgim

Total: 33
DavidAZ
Debates: 8
DavidAZ
-->
@ludofl3x
I guess I forgot or didn't absorb what it was that was being taught when I was little, but the priest was insistent that the words turned the crackers into REAL FLESH of a 2000 year old person, and the wine into REAL BLOOD of a 2000 year old person, and that somehow drinking and eating it wasn't symbolic, it was literal magic. That god was always watching, he used the term "like a sky daddy," which just felt wrong as hell. That without it, you definitely go to hell, and that a 7 year old had to go confess sins...it was disturbing, I had like a visceral reaction to it, and at the time I was still a practicing semi-believer
I read a book called 50 years in the church of Rome by Charles Chiniquy.  He stated that the confessionals were very lewd and introduced sexuality to young children by asking them if they done a such and such sexual act.  Of course, these kids had no clue what any of that was and so some of them went off, like curious children do, to go find out what that meant.  It was a very interesting read.
ludofl3x
Debates: 0
ludofl3x
-->
@DavidAZ
Let me guess, is the theme "The Catholic Church is Weird At Best, Awful At Worst"? If so, I agree :). 
DavidAZ
Debates: 8
DavidAZ
-->
@ludofl3x
Let me guess, is the theme "The Catholic Church is Weird At Best, Awful At Worst"? If so, I agree :). 
Lol!  I suppose. It just showed the hypocrisy and politics involved with it.  This is in reference to the leadership, not the people.

It was about a priest that went thru the whole gambit to become one from a young child.  He started seeing things wrong with it and basically turned his whole church from catholic to protestant.  It talks about the inside politics and corruption involved and even claims that Abraham Lincoln was assassinated by the Jesuits.  Again, cool read.