STAR TREK: Strange New Worlds - my review as a TREKKER!

Author: TWS1405_2

Total: 10
TWS1405_2
Debates: 4
TWS1405_2
This day/evening I have been binge watching STAR TREK: Strange New Worlds on YouTube (because it is FREE)!!!

I tried STAR TREK: Discovery, and I hated it as many true fans of the genre do. It's too lefty/progressive with unbelievable characters and storylines that divert from Star Trek Cannon.

However, STAR TREK: Strange New Worlds actually compliments the original cannon, and it is quite entertaining...minus a few annoying characters that just need to go. 

Season one pays homage to many previous ST original episodes as well as movies, and I found that quite enjoyable to see/watch. But some characters are just not necessary, and some characters doing crossover jobs is sort of ridiculous.

I really like this character since it is a connection to ST II: The Wrath of Khan. Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (TV Series 2022– ) - Christina Chong as La'an Noonien-Singh - IMDb

I wish they chose a different actress to play Christine Chapel. Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (TV Series 2022– ) - Jess Bush as Nurse Christine Chapel - IMDb

I really like this actor playing the ship's doctor, as I enjoyed his role in the new version of Dune. Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (TV Series 2022– ) - Babs Olusanmokun as Dr. M'Benga - IMDb

I really do not care for the transgender person in episode 7 of season 1: Jesse James Keitel Before And After Gender Surgery: Sexuality And Partner - Queer As Folk (showbizcast.com)

While this actress is OK for Uhura, I wish they could have picked someone else... Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (TV Series 2022– ) - Celia Rose Gooding as Nyota Uhura, Cadet Nyota Uhura - IMDb But I am sure she will grow on me. 

But overall, the storylines are pretty good and develop the characters well. Much much better than ST: Discovery by far. 
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
S1 Ep7 really sucks because it was all about putting a transgender woman in as the primary villain. Piss poor acting. Shitty episode. Just “gay”!
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@TWS1405_2
I tried STAR TREK: Discovery, and I hated it as many true fans of the genre do. It's too lefty/progressive with unbelievable characters and storylines that divert from Star Trek Cannon.
Agree, actually I have way worse things to say than that it is lefty. Some of the worst writing and most jarring outlets for "creativity" I've seen in a long time.

However, STAR TREK: Strange New Worlds actually compliments the original cannon, and it is quite entertaining...minus a few annoying characters that just need to go. 
Agree.

Same

I wish they chose a different actress to play Christine Chapel. Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (TV Series 2022– ) - Jess Bush as Nurse Christine Chapel - IMDb
She did alright... she should probably be a bit more reserved.

I really like this actor playing the ship's doctor, as I enjoyed his role in the new version of Dune. Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (TV Series 2022– ) - Babs Olusanmokun as Dr. M'Benga - IMDb
I loved him, he seemed a little to ready to let his daughter turn into an energy being; but that is the way of the final frontier it seems.

This character was also in TOS, and it was said he studied medicine on Vulcan; I think they should have made a point of that or something.

While this actress is OK for Uhura, I wish they could have picked someone else... Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (TV Series 2022– ) - Celia Rose Gooding as Nyota Uhura, Cadet Nyota Uhura - IMDb But I am sure she will grow on me. 
I wasn't really getting the Uhura feel, but then again you have to give them a lot of leeway given that this is supposed to be her first time on tour. It's understandable that someone would grow into the complete confidence that Uhura showed in TOS.

I like the idea of comms officers also being linguists, they didn't really consider that until Star Trek: Enterprise and I don't see it in TOS.

He looked and sounded almost nothing like him.

Well it seems whatever else we may disagree on your trekiness is within acceptable parameters.

Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
it was all about putting a transgender woman in as the primary villain.
Thats a good one actually. Personally, I would put the entire LGBT in as villains. Literally, all the good guys would be straight.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
  • Leave it to TWS to say he's going to review a TV series and then exclusively focus on the appearance of the actors.  I don't think I've ever seen a more literally superficial review of any entertainment- it is as if he based his review on the show on actor's head shots.
    • Also, he neglected to tell us whether he liked the head shots of the two main characters.
  • Is there more profound example of missing the point than a white supremacist who says he enjoys Star Trek.  I guess you'd have to be insanely superficial because if you listened to the words coming out of the character's mouths, you'd understand that this show's values are diametrically opposed to white supremacy.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@oromagi
Is there more profound example of missing the point than a white supremacist who says he enjoys Star Trek.
When you have two statements that contradict each other. One is wrong.
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@oromagi
  • Leave it to TWS to say he's going to review a TV series and then exclusively focus on the appearance of the actors.  I don't think I've ever seen a more literally superficial review of any entertainment- it is as if he based his review on the show on actor's head shots.
    • Also, he neglected to tell us whether he liked the head shots of the two main characters.
  • Is there more profound example of missing the point than a white supremacist who says he enjoys Star Trek.  I guess you'd have to be insanely superficial because if you listened to the words coming out of the character's mouths, you'd understand that this show's values are diametrically opposed to white supremacy.
This is precisely why you have no business being a moderator at DART. Way to prove that salient fact to the proverbial “T”!

91 days later

FLRW
FLRW

I guess TWS said, "  Beam me up Scotty! "
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@FLRW
I guess TWS said, "  Beam me up Scotty! ". 
Nope, I think it was a natural decay process we find with so many particles of Universe.

It is only a few elementarys  that we do not know rate of decay for them.   I used to hear it was just the proton. Then few years ago saw there is a longer list.

Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Tina Turner. Picard { of course } and who ever has been here at DArt  the longest contiguous time.  Zedvector maybe?

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ebuc
Only the evil half of the orange/blue torus can know these things.