Rugby is a better game than American Football

Author: Slainte

Total: 13
Slainte
Debates: 25
Slainte
Rugby is a game of immense skill, and thought.  You need to be able to change and adapt on the fly.  There is no coaching on a play by play, the players have to control.  You also have a culture of work hard, respect to the ref, and respect to the entire community.  It is also accessible to all ages, is very inexpensive to run, and safer.  There are olympics versions for it, and proper international competitions, like the Six Nations, and World Cup.  109 countries play rugby, and are ranked by World Rugby.

American football has nothing on it.    

This is a friendly "debate", I will not respond to people who are rude.

THoughts?
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
I am not really into sports. My brain simply isnt wired to find any attraction in sports. I dont know why that is.
DavidAZ
Debates: 8
DavidAZ
-->
@Slainte
But is Rugby filled with nation hating people that won't stand for it's own anthem?

Joking aside. I think rugby is a more brutal sport than football, so on the manly-meter, I would rate it above football too.
Slainte
Slainte
But is Rugby filled with nation hating people that won't stand for it's own anthem?
Expand on this please.
DavidAZ
Debates: 8
DavidAZ
-->
@Slainte
I must have been too vague.  I was referring to the football players, who got paid millions of dollars to play, that griped about how football was like modern day slavery.  White men calling the shots for black men.  We also had the kneeling during the American national anthem in protest to a "racist nation", the same nation that gave them the opportunity to sign multi-million dollar contracts to play a game.

I guess the more I think about it, American football is for pansies compared to rugby.
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@Slainte
Rugby is a game of immense skill, and thought.  You need to be able to change and adapt on the fly.  There is no coaching on a play by play, the players have to control.  You also have a culture of work hard, respect to the ref, and respect to the entire community.  It is also accessible to all ages, is very inexpensive to run, and safer.  There are olympics versions for it, and proper international competitions, like the Six Nations, and World Cup.  109 countries play rugby, and are ranked by World Rugby.

American football has nothing on it.    

This is a friendly "debate", I will not respond to people who are rude.

THoughts?
I played both, Philadelhia RFC late 70s and early 80s, I liked Rugby better.

Better game, and much better parties.
Slainte
Slainte
-->
@DavidAZ
Political protests in rugby are not unheard of.  Rugby players, particularly in countries like New Zealand and South Africa, have used their platform to raise awareness about issues such as racial inequality, but the scale of protest actions has been relatively limited.

That being said , the 1995 Rugby World Cup in South Africa, was the first international sports copetition hosted by South Africa following apartheid. Nelson Mandela in particular wanted to use the games as a way to unite the country, with both blacks and whites on the national team, a tournament that South Africa ended up winning, beating the All Blacks.   Whites and blacks celebrated together.

I think we should also note that rugby has a different cultural context compared to American football, and the rugby itself does not have as deep-rooted connections to national identity and patriotism as a sport.  Even though you have many countries who have rugby as a primary corner stone, (New Zealand, South Africa,   Tonga, Samoa,). other countries also have rugby very high in their ranks, such as Ireland, France, England, Australia, Japan, etc. etc.  Because American Football, is just that, it makes it easier to have a protest that focuses on American issues.  

The same would go for NASCAR,    The same would not go for Formula 1.   The national and cultural centric nature of the sport leads to a more effective protest opportunity.

Just some thoughts on it.
Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@Slainte
Political protests in rugby are not unheard of.  Rugby players, particularly in countries like New Zealand and South Africa, have used their platform to raise awareness about issues such as racial inequality, but the scale of protest actions has been relatively limited.

That being said , the 1995 Rugby World Cup in South Africa, was the first international sports copetition hosted by South Africa following apartheid. Nelson Mandela in particular wanted to use the games as a way to unite the country, with both blacks and whites on the national team, a tournament that South Africa ended up winning, beating the All Blacks.   Whites and blacks celebrated together.

I think we should also note that rugby has a different cultural context compared to American football, and the rugby itself does not have as deep-rooted connections to national identity and patriotism as a sport.  Even though you have many countries who have rugby as a primary corner stone, (New Zealand, South Africa,   Tonga, Samoa,). other countries also have rugby very high in their ranks, such as Ireland, France, England, Australia, Japan, etc. etc.  Because American Football, is just that, it makes it easier to have a protest that focuses on American issues.  

The same would go for NASCAR,    The same would not go for Formula 1.   The national and cultural centric nature of the sport leads to a more effective protest opportunity.

Just some thoughts on it.
Atheletes all over the world use thier platform to raise awareness about social issues they feel strongly about.

Only in America would snowflakes have a meltdown because a ball player took a knee during the anthem, I mean, you'd have thought a guy on his knee was some kind of Yuge issue like Mr Potatohead or something.
Slainte
Slainte
-->
@Sidewalker
Can you explain what snowflake is.  I really do not know.  I have an idea.  
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Slainte
Someone elsewhere, came up with the ideas of Rugby and Football.

And then someone in the U.S. copied the ideas and one of the balls and came up with the game of American Football.

And actual football played with feet and spherical balls was referred to as soccer.

And elliptical balls which are absolutely useless other than for spot kicking and throwing became a football.

And hand ball is yet another version of the elliptical ball game... Which like soccer/football, involves nets.

And then there is volleyball. (Spherical) Hands and nets. And very skimpily clad females on the beach.

And basketball is a hand game too, which as the name suggests involves baskets (net derived).

And then handball  can be done in a swimming pool but with a spherical ball and nets.....Referred to as Water Polo.

And then bizarrely, take a horse and a small sphere and an adapted stick back onto a field and you also have Polo.

And then there's variously adapted sticks and balls and also adapted  sticks with adapted nets and other ball adaptations.

And even more bizarrely, only a handful of fit people can play these games at any one time....But thousands of unfit people will pay money to sit around and watch them.

Crazy humans.

But watching the girls play volleyball is nice....Just don't bother to watch the ball.

Why don't girly basket ballers wear volleyball outfits?

Ah.....Would you want to see Brittney Griner in a volleyball outfit?

OK....so I suppose that some women might.

Oh.....I forgot Netball.........Net baskets, spheres and hands.....Sexual orientation variable too, probably.

sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
I quit watching sports  when the left started injecting politics into it. I didn't watch sports to be lectured. I watched sports to escape that.

10 days later

Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@Slainte
Can you explain what snowflake is.  I really do not know.  I have an idea.  
It's a slang term the right typically projects onto the left. 

"Snowflake" is a derogatory slang term for a person, implying that they have an inflated sense of uniqueness, an unwarranted sense of entitlement, or are overly emotional, easily offended, and unable to deal with opposing opinions. - Wikipedia
IlDiavolo
Debates: 0
IlDiavolo
Both sports suck. You need to be a gorilla to enjoy it, otherwise you end up with a break bone or with alzheimer.