BREAKING: Russian Hackers Successfully Hack Multiple Federal Agencies

Author: Public-Choice

Total: 9
Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
From Freespoke News:

The Department of Energy and several other federal agencies were compromised in a Russian cyber-extortion gang's global hack of a file-transfer program popular with corporations and governments, but the impact was not expected to be great, Homeland Security officials said Thursday. - Yahoo News Canada (middle)

The Cl0p ransomware syndicate behind the hack announced last week on its dark-web site that its victims, who it suggested numbered in the hundreds, had until Wednesday to get in touch to negotiate a ransom or risk having sensitive stolen data dumped online.  - Los Angeles Times (left)

But for others among what could be hundreds of victims from industry to higher education — including patrons of at least two state motor vehicle agencies — the hack was beginning to show some serious impacts. - Fortune (right)

According to the Yahoo News Canada article, they don't believe the hackers were working for the Russian Government but, honestly, why don't they?

Russia is known for having NGO hacking groups that raise money for the government by selling and extorting botu personal data and government data. So why not even suspect it? As usual, the government didn't provide any evidence for their assertions oncwhat was even hacked, so we don't even know if it happened. But just figured this was worth bringing up.

Louisiana and Oregon are the only states that we know of so far that civilians were affected, so it might be a good idea to freeze your funds or get new cards and such.
Best.Korea
Debates: 272
Best.Korea
Government spreads propaganda, as usual. USA is basically at a type of war with Russia. Its the US and NATO products that are killing Russian soldiers. Its the NATO sanctions that forced Russia into economical war with the west.

Is Ukraine worth it? Or is it just another failed war?

I just hope that 10 years from now these people remember that they were all supporting Ukraine and cheering.
Slainte
Debates: 25
Slainte
-->
@Public-Choice
Could it be a US PsyOps to keep Russia in the bad light and support the military industrial complex?
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Slainte
I find this likely.

I'll be more specific: The chances that this is a technically true nothing-burger are high.

"File transfer program popular with governments and corporations" lol, cybersecurity "experts" are generally clueless but they can be relied on to at least freak out over file transfer systems. They balk at SFTP. Probably a lot of pointless minutia going back and forth.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@Best.Korea
Its the NATO sanctions that forced Russia into economical war with the west.
Do you have any quality reads on this (e.g. ones that cite primary sources as much as possible)?

Its the US and NATO products that are killing Russian soldiers.
And the reverse killing Ukrainian soldiers...
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Public-Choice
I would say the most interesting read is the rise of BRICS and lots of countries joining BRICS. Russia is making lots of new allies. Even CNN admits that.

Another interesting one is North Korea using opportunity for improved trade with Russia, which Russia is forced to get into to improve economy.

Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@Best.Korea
Yeah I've heard about BRICS. But it's so difficult to find a complete list of interested countries that have already filed the paperwork.

As to the NK one, weren't they already pretty deeply connected? Or am I mistaken?
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Public-Choice
As to the NK one, weren't they already pretty deeply connected? Or am I mistaken?
Russia was trading a lot with Europe. There was very little trade with North Korea. However, now, thanks to sanctions, Russia lost lots of market in Europe and has to turn to other countries. North Korea is willing to supply Russia with weapons and ammo. So it is very likely that trade between Russia and North Korea is about to increase significantly unless Russia finds a better country to trade with. It just tells us that Russia has options for trade despite sanctions.
ponikshiy
Debates: 9
ponikshiy
We have been banned from using bitcoin, so that is why hacking previously stopped. 

Maybe hackers found way to get mo ey now. Or maybe government hackers