Slainte
Debates: 25
Slainte

Scare the hell out of me. 

Thoughts?
Sir.Lancelot
Debates: 182
Sir.Lancelot
Speaking as a mostly carnivoristic omnivore.

It's probably more ethical than the organized serial genocide of animals that our slaughterhouses regularly take part in.
ponikshiy
Debates: 9
ponikshiy
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
Animal slaughter can be fun.
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
-->
@ponikshiy
I would never be able to slaughter an animal. I hate violence.
ponikshiy
ponikshiy
-->
@Best.Korea
I had to. When I was little girl I was too nice and caring, so I started to slaughter tiny animals in my village to train myself to be tough. Otherwise I would still be poor and unable to prey on men. There was more self Training but that was the toughest part
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@ponikshiy
When I was little girl I was too nice and caring, so I started to slaughter tiny animals in my village to train myself to be tough.
Thats cruel lmao
ponikshiy
ponikshiy
-->
@Best.Korea
I loved animals it was hard, but if I was ever going to escape I needed iron will and cold heart. I finally met village boy and made him a success so I could bleed him dry. . I will share story if you want
ponikshiy
ponikshiy
-->
@Best.Korea
Fine I will share and change name so nobody know him or me. 

One day in my village a boy named Ivan wanted to date me. Ivan ugly. He is broke, but it is poor village and only broke man is available. I am very pretty so men do what I say. I tell him let's move to  city. Ivan is scared. He is broke, we will be homeless. I tell him be brave. We get there and I notice some gangsters with nice clothes. I say Ivan, if you love me you ask them for job. Ivan scared, so I suck him but I stop before he cums and I tell him that if he ever wants to cum again he go make money. Ivan get job. I tell him what people to kill so he can move up ranks. Soon Ivan has lots of money, so I take it all. I have access to all his money but Ivan ugly and I want more money so I convince him to keep doing dangerous things and he my love dies. 

Now my life is nice, but I want more so I learn English to hopefully get American man with big bank account. Preferably old man
ponikshiy
ponikshiy
I am still virgin by the way. I only suck. I want wealthy American man and know how valuable I am as virgin
prefix
Debates: 7
prefix
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
Speaking as a mostly carnivoristic omnivore.

It's probably more ethical than the organized serial genocide of animals that our slaughterhouses regularly take part in.
The meat industry is not engaged in "genocide".  If they were, we would have run out of meat years ago.  They are at the very least a semi-sustainable business sector.

Genocide .."the deliberate killing of a large number of people  [ or beings ] from a particular nation or ethnic group with the aim of destroying that nation or group." [ Oxford ]
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Slainte
Thoughts?
I probably had the same initial reaction as many, it just sounded gross or unsafe, but the benefits... No longer needing to slaughter animals or take up the amount of water, plants and land to grow them is quite an inticing thought.

Water is the big one, only about 1% of the Earth's water is drinkable and we're starting to run out. That's going to cause massive displacement and poverty by the end of this century. Producing meat is one of the largest contributors because of the amount of water livestock must consume before they are ready. One pound of beef requires about 1800 gallons, so we will either run out of meat, water, or more likely both. This sounds like a viable (partial) solution.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Double_R
Eh, eating meat is not necessary for survival. If you want drinking water, collect rain. It literally falls everywhere  except in deserts. Sea water can also be turned into drinking water. I am not sure why do people think that they are running out of water.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@Double_R

At the dawn of agriculture, about 8000 B.C., the population of the world was approximately 5 million. Now it is 8 billion.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
It doesn't scare me, I hope it accelerates. I'd like to eat beef again before I die.
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
Double R makes good points.

But why is it so expensive, seems to me that for it to cost so much more than real chicken, that maybe it uses more resources, rather than less.

Unless it's a matter of scarcity, but for it to make much of a difference the price needs to come down.  If it uses less resources then in the end, the price should be less.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@prefix
Most tasty animals would go completely extinct if not for meat farms. As it stands, there are 4 chickens clucking for every person right now.

Also, you cant take people seriously when they say "the earth is going to run out of drinkable water"

Yeah, maybe in 5 billion years when the sun dies...ok Greta...

Savant
Debates: 22
Savant
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
I think ponikshiy is now a contender for best troll.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Sidewalker
but not about water, only a Californian or a arab could think such silly things.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Greyparrot
Also, you cant take people seriously when they say "the earth is going to run out of drinkable water"
You really can't. It paint a vivid picture of someone tragically unaware of the nature of the world they live on despite probably receiving an education containing all necessary principles to infer how absurd the statement is.

It's the authority based epistemology. Sure he read about the water cycle in school, but he thought it was important because a teacher relayed it. He didn't question it so he couldn't confirm it, just as he didn't question it when he saw some insane priest of the man-made climate disaster cult claim that there is such a thing as "running out" on the same planet as the amazon basin.

I believe certain comedian had some advise on this: Don't live in a fucking desert.

I'll add: or learn how to build an aqueduct.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ponikshiy
Sounds like Bullshit to me.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Slainte
Just meat grown in a lab from a base material.

Not much different to the original process.

Why would this be scary.

Do you have Monster Chicken nightmares.

People can be far more scary.
Slainte
Slainte
-->
@zedvictor4
Not much different to the original process.
I beg to differ.

What scares me is the over confidence we have with technology.  The assumptions,  and the naivety.  Having a few veggies and a chicken i now coming down to artificial meat.  Reminds me of the movie Soylent Green.

I do not eat very many processed foods as it is.  Potato chips is my food vice. No bread, no wheat, only veg and meat.    So perhaps I am a nut job and hyper sensitive to this.   
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
but not about water, only a Californian or a arab could think such silly things.
Not the least bit silly in Arizona.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Slainte
What I meant was.

Meat/muscle is derived from a process of nutrient fed cellular division.

Same as in a Lab I would imagine.

Not hugely different to any other Lab based process of organic replication

Such as In-vitro conception, intensive vegetable production, synthesised vaccines and hormones etc.

In fact we've been modifying and breeding food sources for centuries, albeit to a lesser degree in terms of biological interference.

I don't think that we should expect anything less than food evolution to keep pace with human and technological evolution.

So there will be sceptics who are worried by change, just as there always are.

Though I expect that most food sceptics, embrace all sorts of other modern technological advancements without a care.

Slainte
Slainte
-->
@zedvictor4
Thanks for the clarification.  

I would argue it is very different.  Cellular growth and division is based on a multitude of systemic functions, including hormones, diet, environment.  All we are doing in this lab meat is tricking the cells to do something, rather than letting them do what they would normally do.

It is the naivety that we think we can short cut, and  bring complex lives down to a single process which scares me.  It is the same thing that occurs with ultra-processed foods on the one hand, and gain of function research on the other.

Its what we ignore and don't know, or refuse to know about it that scares me.
cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
-->
@Slainte
The price is certainly scary, but that will come down over time. Hopefully, way down! It seems like the way of the future unless people ever get on board with eating insects. I sometimes wonder how our descendants will view us regarding our treatment of animals— as we view our ancestors as engaging in barbaric practices.
Slainte
Slainte
-->
@cristo71
Fair point
cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
-->
@Slainte
That would be zed, actually
Slainte
Slainte
-->
@cristo71
mist pasted quote

I meant

how our descendants will view us regarding our treatment of animals

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Sidewalker
Not the least bit silly in Arizona.

You made me do it.

But I'm a liberal (AKA libertarian, AKA someone with a bare minimum of social virtue), so if they want to live in a fucking desert that is their right.

But don't pretend their utterly predictable local resource problems are somehow global.

Next up, the world is running out of breathable air. Only 20% of the atmosphere is actually oxygen. We better watch it. See see! :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Rinconada,_Peru

"Hypoxia is a significant health problem"

Oh we are screwed. We need to stop farming cattle right now because those cows are breathing up all our air!