The Round Table: Entry Stage

Author: Sir.Lancelot

Total: 72
Sir.Lancelot
Debates: 182
Sir.Lancelot
Welcome, competitors.

The end of June is approaching which means The Entry Stage has officially begun. 
Here are all those involved in The Round Table Tournament so far.:
  1. YouFound_Lxam
  2. jamgiller
  3. Bella3sp
  4. Devon
  5. Slainte
  6. SkepticalOne
  7. AustinL0926
  8. TheApprentice

Here are the Judges I have chosen.:
  1. whiteflame
  2. Mps1213
  3. Lemming

Here are the rules.:
  1. There will be Five Categories. There will be four topics listed per category. Each topic is worth a certain amount of points. The more points assigned to a topic, the harder it is. And the longer response time.
  2. To qualify for the Finals, debaters must obtain a minimum of 20 points.
  3. All debates must include parenthesis (TRT) at the beginning and you will be required to link your debate in this forum. They must also be Standard and set to Judicial Decision.
  4. Competitors in this tournament may not be judges. The standard judges are the ones mentioned above, but if you wish to go with a different choice for judges, consult with me first.
  5. Mention below which topic you’d like to choose. Only four people at a topic at a time. Opponents will therefore be randomized instead of chosen. 
  6. All topics are on-balance.
  7. All debates must be 3 or 4 rounds. Voting time is 1 week. Max character limit is 20,000.
  8. One topic at a time. No debating two topics at once.

Race & Ethnicity
  • Race-conscious admissions policies should be administered in higher education institutions to promote diversity and address historical inequalities. (20 points. Max Time - 2 weeks.)
  • Controversial historical monuments and statues that symbolize racism and oppression should be removed. (15 points. Max Time - 1 Week.)
  • Cultural appropriation is harmful and should be actively discouraged. (10 points. Max Time - 3 days.)
  • The implementation of reparations for historically marginalized racial and ethnic communities is necessary. (5 points. Max Time - 2 days.)
Religion & Politics
  • There must be a separation of religion and state in all aspects of governance. (20 points. Max Time - 2 weeks.)
  • Religious institutions should be taxed similarly to other organizations. (15 points. Max Time - 1 Week.)
  • The teaching of religious studies is necessary in public schools as part of a well-rounded education. (10 points. Max Time - 3 days.)
  • The government should oppose the use of religious exemptions in laws that infringe upon the rights of marginalized groups. (5 points. Max Time - 2 days.)

International Relations
  • There should be a global ban on the production and use of autonomous weapons systems. (20 points. Max Time - 2 weeks.)
  • Economic sanctions are an effective tool for promoting human rights and democracy in authoritarian regimes. (15 points. Max Time - 1 Week.)
  • Increased international cooperation is required to address the global climate crisis and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. (10 points. Max Time - 3 days.)
  • The government should advocate for the establishment of a supranational governing body to oversee global financial markets and regulate multinational corporations. (5 points. Max Time - 2 days.) 

Gender Studies
  • The recognition of gender-neutral pronouns and the use of inclusive language is essential in all public and private institutions. (20 points. Max Time - 2 weeks.)
  • The implementation of gender quotas in political and corporate leadership positions will achieve gender equality. (15 points. Max Time - 1 Week.)
  • There must be implementation of affirmative action policies to address gender disparities in traditionally male-dominated fields, such as STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics). (10 points. Max Time - 3 days.)
  • Transgender individuals should have the right to self-identify their gender without requiring medical or legal interventions. (5 points. Max Time - 2 days.) 

Environmental Economy
  • Transitioning to a green economy is essential for long-term environmental sustainability and economic growth. (20 points. Max Time - 2 weeks.)
  • There must be implementation of a carbon pricing mechanism, such as a carbon tax or cap-and-trade system, to incentivize businesses to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. (15 points. Max Time - 1 Week.)
  • There should be a shift towards a circular economy, where resources are recycled, reused, and waste is minimized, to promote sustainable consumption and production. (10 points. Max Time - 3 days.)
  • Governments should provide financial incentives and subsidies to promote the development and adoption of renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power. (5 points. Max Time - 2 days.)

Something very important. If you win or lose a topic, it becomes off-limits and you cannot debate it again. The Finals start August 10th.
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@Slainte
@YouFound_Lxam
@Bella3sp
@Devon
@jamgiller
Update.
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@SkepticalOne
@whiteflame
@Mps1213
@AustinL0926
@TheApprentice
Tagged just in case.
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@Lemming
And Lemming, one of my other judges. Last to be tagged.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
Righto.
Bella3sp
Debates: 53
Bella3sp
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
Alright, so..

"Mention below which topic you’d like to choose."

Regarding what topic I would like to choose: 
  • The teaching of religious studies is necessary in public schools as part of a well-rounded education. 
Unsure if we are putting our preferred position on that, so, i'll leave it there.

Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@Bella3sp
Do you prefer Pro or Con on the subject?
Bella3sp
Bella3sp
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
Con.
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
Religion & Politics
  • There must be a separation of religion and state in all aspects of governance. (20 points. Max Time - 2 weeks.)
  • Religious institutions should be taxed similarly to other organizations. (15 points. Max Time - 1 Week.)
  • The teaching of religious studies is necessary in public schools as part of a well-rounded education. (10 points. Max Time - 3 days.)
Bella3sp - Con
  • The government should oppose the use of religious exemptions in laws that infringe upon the rights of marginalized groups. (5 points. Max Time - 2 days.)

Devon
Debates: 24
Devon
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
I choose: Transgender individuals should have the right to self-identify their gender without requiring medical or legal interventions.

I'll be Con.
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot

Race & Ethnicity
  • Race-conscious admissions policies should be administered in higher education institutions to promote diversity and address historical inequalities. (20 points. Max Time - 2 weeks.)
AustinL0926 - Con
  • Controversial historical monuments and statues that symbolize racism and oppression should be removed. (15 points. Max Time - 1 Week.)
  • Cultural appropriation is harmful and should be actively discouraged. (10 points. Max Time - 3 days.)
  • The implementation of reparations for historically marginalized racial and ethnic communities is necessary. (5 points. Max Time - 2 days.)
Religion & Politics
Bella3sp - Con

International Relations
  • There should be a global ban on the production and use of autonomous weapons systems. (20 points. Max Time - 2 weeks.)
  • Economic sanctions are an effective tool for promoting human rights and democracy in authoritarian regimes. (15 points. Max Time - 1 Week.)
  • Increased international cooperation is required to address the global climate crisis and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. (10 points. Max Time - 3 days.)
  • The government should advocate for the establishment of a supranational governing body to oversee global financial markets and regulate multinational corporations. (5 points. Max Time - 2 days.) 

Gender Studies
  • The recognition of gender-neutral pronouns and the use of inclusive language is essential in all public and private institutions. (20 points. Max Time - 2 weeks.)
  • The implementation of gender quotas in political and corporate leadership positions will achieve gender equality. (15 points. Max Time - 1 Week.)
  • There must be implementation of affirmative action policies to address gender disparities in traditionally male-dominated fields, such as STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics). (10 points. Max Time - 3 days.)
  • Transgender individuals should have the right to self-identify their gender without requiring medical or legal interventions. (5 points. Max Time - 2 days.) 
Devon - Con

Environmental Economy
  • Transitioning to a green economy is essential for long-term environmental sustainability and economic growth. (20 points. Max Time - 2 weeks.)
  • There must be implementation of a carbon pricing mechanism, such as a carbon tax or cap-and-trade system, to incentivize businesses to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. (15 points. Max Time - 1 Week.)
  • There should be a shift towards a circular economy, where resources are recycled, reused, and waste is minimized, to promote sustainable consumption and production. (10 points. Max Time - 3 days.)
  • Governments should provide financial incentives and subsidies to promote the development and adoption of renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power. (5 points. Max Time - 2 days.)
AustinL0926
Debates: 33
AustinL0926
"Race-conscious admissions policies should be administered in higher education institutions to promote diversity and address historical inequalities."

I'll take CON on this one.
Slainte
Debates: 25
Slainte
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
So do we start the debate topic with TRTor do you match us up and then we set it for a specific reaponder? 
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@Slainte
Both.

If someone in the Tournament chooses your topic. You will be matched against them.
However, if no one does. You will issue an open challenge abiding by the criteria of the rules and wait for a random person to accept.

If you win, then you are awarded the points of the topic. However, if the random person wins, you just won't be awarded the points. The random person will not get any points because they're not an actual competitor in the Tournament.

Which one would you prefer?
Slainte
Debates: 25
Slainte
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
 O
Both.    I will send topic preferences in an hour or so.  THANK You from r your hard work on this. 
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@Slainte
Thank you for being part of it.
Couldn't have done it without you guys.
Bella3sp
Bella3sp
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
Even though I prefered a topic, am I still able to debate someone in the meanwhile/with that topic still in place? Or do we have to wait till someone accepts or its allow to become an open topic? 

If so, i'm willing to debate Devon on that topic. 

Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@Bella3sp
@Devon
If you choose to debate Devon, I would have to temporarily switch you to Transgender individuals should have the right to self-identify their gender without requiring medical or legal interventions. (5 points. Max Time - 2 days.).

But it's up to you.
Devon
Devon
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
Sure. I still wanna debate that topic though. Do I have to debate a different topic now that @Bella3sp wants to debate this?
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@Devon
No, I can arrange to put you two against each other. I just need confirmation that Bella wants to make the switch.
Bella3sp
Bella3sp
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
No problem.
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@Bella3sp
@Devon
(TRT) Transgender individuals should have the right to self-identify their gender without requiring medical or legal interventions. (5 points. Max Time - 2 days.) 

All debates must be 3 or 4 rounds. Voting time is 1 week. Max character limit is 20,000.
Devon or Bella may create the challenge first and will go with the standard judges.: Myself, whiteflame, Mps, and Lemming.
Unless either side wishes to request different judges.
Bella3sp
Bella3sp
-->
@Devon
I have no problem with the current judges, and would have no problem with any other judges you may request.

Are you willing to create the debate?

Devon
Devon
-->
@Bella3sp
Sure. 

I know this is a dumb question but this debate has something to do with the tournament right? Or is this nonrelated to the tournament?
Devon
Devon
-->
@Bella3sp
Lol I had a feeling even though you picked your topic on religion & politics, you still would've wanted to debate me on the topic I picked. I guess cause our prior debate regarding gender. Looking forward to the debate
Bella3sp
Bella3sp
-->
@Devon
First comment: Yes, this is tournament related. Five points.

Second: I was originally going to pick that topic, it was a tough decision between the two. But looks like you had the right feeling, lol. Glad you picked it.
Devon
Devon
-->
@Bella3sp
Oh now that I know that that was possibly your original pick, I look forward to it even more. I guess it was destiny for us to debate again 😂
TheApprentice
Debates: 5
TheApprentice
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
@Bella3sp
There must be implementation of affirmative action policies to address gender disparities in traditionally male-dominated fields, such as STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics). (10 points. Max Time - 3 days.)
I’ll take the Con stance.

Additionally, if possible, I’d like to put out a reservation request. If no other debates interrupt us, and the moderator allows me to switch topics, would Bella3sp be interested in debating on the topic of religion as part of the curriculum? After your current debate, of course.

Bella3sp
Bella3sp
-->
@TheApprentice
Sure, which one in particular?
TheApprentice
Debates: 5
TheApprentice
-->
@Bella3sp
The government should oppose the use of religious exemptions in laws that infringe upon the rights of marginalized groups. (5 points. Max Time - 2 days.)
I believe you preferred the Con stance?