Linux is best operating system

Author: ponikshiy

Total: 10
ponikshiy
Debates: 9
ponikshiy
New Computers here in Russia are now sold without operating system dye to sanctions by countries who make commercial operating systems. However installing Linux is relatively easy and it gives more freedom over machine. 

It feels good to know that I have full control over my computer and that computer does not spy on me. Does anyone have good tips for new Linux user. I use arch by the way. 
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
I use smartphone instead of a computer.

I know how to fix software issues in computers(just re install system), but same applies to smartphone and smartphone just seems much more practical than a computer.

Computers are hard to carry around. I mean, sure you can buy laptop, but smartphone and laptop arent that different.

I did use linux. There are many versions of linux. I am not sure which version is the best. They all looked somewhat similar. I like faster internet speed. The internet speed in linux seems faster than in windows. I like linux over windows.

Windows is overrated. Other than playing games, its mostly just annoying. It has plenty of viruses. Viruses are annoying. You need antivirus. Antivirus slows down computer. You need to slow down computer.

Besides, the amount of security updates on windows makes my head hurt.
Slainte
Debates: 25
Slainte
-->
@ponikshiy
I love the power to control the actual machine you get from Linux, especially when you can recompile the kernel to do what you want. Unfortantly it does not have the smoothness from a UI and operating perspective, which has made it very slow adoption mainstream.

I use Kali or Gentoo.
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@ponikshiy
Use Ubuntu, not what Slainte said to use, Ubuntu is designed for the computer-illiterate to quickly cope with Linux environment as it has buttons and menus rather than just starting up and running as raw text.

Ubuntu also is the best one for running games and software usually meant for Windows, you can search how to do that (doesn't work with all).

Kali and Debian are very complex, do not use them until very sure you understand how.

ponikshiy
ponikshiy
-->
@RationalMadman
I know Kali is built for penetration testing, so not very secure, since it is built for offense not defense, I also know that Gentoo is not built for beginners. I will try Ubuntu. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@ponikshiy
Kali is built for defense, not offense. You test for defense purposes.

Debian is what pro hackers use.
ponikshiy
ponikshiy
I mean in a capture the flag type event, you wouldn't want to put your flag in a Kali Linux distro
Slainte
Debates: 25
Slainte
-->
@ponikshiy
I would never use Kali for service provision.    Kali uses Debian packaging system.  So you can build out what you need.  Kali has a lot of great tools already installed, and has a fantastic standalone and USB mode.  

If you want pure security, go with Tails, from USB
ponikshiy
ponikshiy
-->
@Slainte
My country is not so bad where all my online activity is monitored. I don't need tails yet

IlDiavolo
Debates: 0
IlDiavolo
-->
@ponikshiy
I use arch Linux for old computers in POS systems, it's really quick and convenient, specially for the free licence. But for office purposes, Windows and MacOS appear to be the only options.

At home I have Linux and Windows, and with a boot manager I load the OS I need. And to be honest, I use Windows most of the time. Linux is excellent, though, when it comes to networking administration and programming, there are advanced tools that makes the job easier if you know how to do it.