Zelensky suspends "Democracy" in Ukraine.

Author: Greyparrot

Total: 51
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi

Who here believes Iraq was a just war? We need no names, their rhetoric and propaganda speak for itself.
  • I've spent a few night in jail for protesting US nukes,  Reagan's invasion of Grenada, Reagan's illegal arms deals with Iran, Reagan's illegal sponsorship of terrorism in El Salvador, Reagan's illegal mining of Nicaruaga,  Bush's invasion of Panama, Bush I's invasion of Iraq I, Bush II's invasion of Iraq II, Trump's abject capitulation to Putin's intersts, etc.   I firmly believe that there's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by throwing every Republican out of office and swearing to never vote Republican again.  Every nation's government acts unjustly at times and deserves condmenation and overhaul by an active citizenry but that's Democracy....that is why I love Democracy.  When Democracies do wrong, their free-thinking and independent peoples take corrective action- they don't pray for the subjugation of their freedom to foreign dictators.  All governments do wrong- that is the nature of power.  Only cowards think the solution to bad government is surrender to totalitarian control.

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
Again, where are the Republicans on this site that supported the Republican votes for this disaster. Democrats have an excuse at least.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ponikshiy
  • The United States has been involved in constant warfare in our lifetimes.
  • The defense budgets continue to increase under different administrations, which in turn justies more wars.
  • The US government uses the justification of national security and moral duty to bring "democracy and freedom" to other countries.
  • The US has engaged in unjust wars in Vietnam, Iraq, Libya, Syria, and Afghanistan, among others.
  • The claim of fighting for democracy is often used to sell these wars, despite supporting despotic regimes like Saudi Arabia, Ukraine and Egypt.
  • Rudy Giuliani wanted to postpone elections after 9/11, but the idea was widely criticized by the American public as "undemocratic."
  • U.S. Elections were held during WW1 and WW2 and the Civil War.
  • Ukrainian President Zelensky has taken authoritarian actions, such as canceling elections, martial law, jailing opposition, and shutting down churches based on affiliation.
  • Despite claims of defending democracy, the US government has often supported autocratic regimes.
  • Joe Biden invoked the argument of democracy vs. autocracy to justify the war in Ukraine.
  • The justifications for endless wars MUST BE questioned, considering the monumental costs and lack of democratic outcomes.
  • It is our patriotic duty to question our authority institutions.

HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
Was the south firing ballistic missiles at Washington or new york? Because if not, it's not a useful comparison. The civil war was fought in a predictable place. People outside that area were perfectly safe to go out and vote. Russia is regularly bombing Ukrainian cities. They have been actively targeting both civilians targets and civilian infrastructure. So the 2 events are not the same. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
You're not remotely on the right, can you even guess at the excuses people on the right may have?

The civil war was fought in a predictable place.

Ok, I am not even going to rehash where the battles historically took place geographically here because correcting you doesn't even come close to explaining why we also had elections during both world wars.

Imagine if people on the left and right both came together as they do for Ukraine, shrugged their shoulders, and said Rudy Giuliani was justified in suspending elections after 9/11.... How would that be an example of "democracy?" 

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
Imagine if people on the left shrugged their shoulders and said Rudy Giuliani was justified in suspending elections after 9/11.... How would that be an example of "democracy?"
again, there was 1 attack where 2 buildings were destroyed. Russia launches dozens, sometimes hundreds of air attacks on Ukranian cities per month. These comparisons are ridiculous. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
“[Lincoln thought] if you suspend democracy in the middle of the war, you are basically undercutting the whole purpose of the war,” he continues. “So even when he thought he was going to lose, he never really contemplated suspending the presidential election.” 

Where are the people on the right on this site to justify this?

I don't need the same arguments from the left, I just want to hear what people on the right think about this.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
[Lincoln thought] if you suspend democracy in the middle of the war, you are basically undercutting the whole purpose of the war,” he continues. “So even when he thought he was going to lose, he never really contemplated suspending the presidential election.” 
so, in a war where there was absolutely no danger to the public going to vote, they didn't stop an election. And now, where there is immense danger to the public they are stopping an election!!!! my god!!! stop the presses. Clearly he must be a dictator for trying to protect his people from russian bombings!!!
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
The United States did not suspend elections during the War of 1812 because the democratic principles and institutions that govern the country prioritize the continuity of the democratic process even during times of conflict. The War of 1812, which lasted from 1812 to 1815, was a brutal war between the United States and Great Britain. As a matter of historical record, the United States did hold its scheduled elections during this war.

USA holds the belief that democracy should not be compromised by external threats or conflicts. Elections serve as a fundamental aspect of democratic governance, allowing citizens to exercise their right to choose their representatives and hold the government accountable.

Yes, devastation during wartime may pose unique challenges and concerns, such as potential disruptions to logistics and security, but the United States has traditionally maintained the principle of holding elections as scheduled. This is a commitment to democratic values and also the belief that the democratic process should not be halted or suspended during times of conflict.

USA, historically maintains the continuity of elections as a longstanding tradition based on the principles of democracy and the belief in the importance of citizen participation.

HB, kindly please leave some oxygen on the right for this, I really want to see the justifications from the right and see if they are chanting the same mantra as you are.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
The United States did not suspend elections during the War of 1812
again, an example of a war where the vast majority of the people were perfectly safe. Since america was the aggressor, most of the fighting was done far from american cities. There was no risk in congregating large numbers of people in one place at one time because the fighting was happening hundreds of miles away. 

As opposed to Ukraine where their cities are bombed by the russians regularly. And the russians regularly target civilians. So again, a not very useful example. 

Got any more wars that are completely different situations you feel like bringing up? 

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
HB, kindly please leave some oxygen on the right for this, I really want to see the justifications from the right and see if they are chanting the same mantra as you are.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
Also a fun side note, Trump tweeted that he wanted to postpone the 2020 election. So let's not pretend like US presidents haven't floated it too. And trump wanted to do it just because he knew he'd lose. There wasn't even any emergency. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ponikshiy
What do you think of this:

Hypocritical maybe?
ponikshiy
Debates: 9
ponikshiy
-->
@Greyparrot
Honestly it was that or hang Putin. Prigozihn made deal with FSB to be next president so there was no more russian bloodshed. 
ponikshiy
ponikshiy
I am commie and this thread is for right wingers. Am I considered right wing or left wing America? 

Here are my positions

1. Pro the people
2. Anti man
3. Now that I have money, anti taxes
ponikshiy
ponikshiy
Oh yeah, anti circumcision but that is preference for un cut dick 
triangle.128k
triangle.128k
This is what I've been telling people for a while lmao, democracy in those regions is a complete farce and westerners are idiots for wanting to force it down the throats of countries that clearly don't handle being democracies well - such as the middle east or former Soviet Union. Westerners will stop at nothing though to enforce their neocolonial global hegemony.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@triangle.128k
If this is what you believe, why did so many GOP congressmen vote for prolonging the Ukraine civil war?

104 days later

triangle.128k
triangle.128k
-->
@Greyparrot
It’s simple really. The western elite wants Ukraine as fresh land to pillage and exploit for the western dominated “rules based world order” where bankers and corporate crooks control everything. They also want to suffocate Russia because Russia is a threat to them and would challenge the American global unipolarity they rely on.

This is why both ZOG controlled parties of the USA back Orckraine.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@triangle.128k
It is true that US owns a lot of Ukraine farmland, and it's also true that USA blew up Germany's LNG pipeline. Now USA wants to blow up Crimea so that America can continue to export LNG to Europe unopposed and keep Germany dependent on the USA for survival. Who said imperialisms was dead in 2023?