Author: Vegasgiants

Total: 325
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
I 'do think myself,
Than children have a greater plasticity than adults.

Doesn't mean you can't teach an old dog new tricks, or preferences,
But it 'is more difficult,
I'd also suspect that 'some abilities 'do atrophy so much they fall off permanently, if not developed.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Fair point on the subconscious mind.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Vegasgiants
I am surprised I agree with you, but yes, there is no gay gene
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
The issue is whether you can trust an organization simply because:
1.) They spend significant time devoted to a single subject or field
2.) They generally agree with each other
3.) They publish official assertions and those assertions are trusted by many people
Another strawman. I've already explained to you the primary factor which makes any particular expert or their field in general reliable; a proven track record of results.

WebMD is the third most utilized medical site in the world. That wouldn't have been accomplished if they were spreading anything but reliable information. Religion meanwhile, has no such track record, because, unlike any other industry on earth, the only way their claims could ever be tested is if we die. Not exactly repeatable and verifiable.

To not be able to see the difference between these two things is breathtakingly unserious.

But at the end of the day it all does come down to trust. What you misunderstand is that it's not about trust in any organization or individual, it's about trust in basic human nature. If WebMD was spreading misinformation, people would know about it. The information they give is fairly basic and could be verified by pretty much anyone with a degree, yet despite its 130 million users monthly, barely anyone has came out to accuse the website of this. Not anecdotal examples, but an actual, noticable pattern. That defies human nature. Also, WebMD is a for profit organization who relies on their reputation in order to attract visitors, so accuracy is central to their business model. Why then, spread misinformation? They wouldn't, because like all of us they care about their well being over anything else and spreading misinformation would severely and irreparably harm that.

So when I call you a conspiracy theorist it's not because you don't trust the sources I deem credible, but because you don't trust basic human nature. You seem to think it's perfectly plausible for large numbers of people to come together to advance a goal that defies the personal interests of the individuals involved, or for even larger numbers of people who are in a position to recognize what's happening would say absolutely nothing about it to anyone. I don't know what society you grew up in, but that's not how people work.

Double_R
Double_R
-->
@TWS1405_2
You are ok with shutting him down so that he lives his life the way you see fit, not how her actually wants to.
Strawman. 

At the end of the day his choices are still his choices. I (nor anyone else for that matter) have NO power or control over his choices. He chooses. He alone. End of story. 
It's not a strawman, at least not based on this. Obviously you don't get to make his choices, you aren't Professor X. But you feed into a societal narrative the he because of his choices should be regarded as mentally ill and dangerous to children. That may in fact be a choice, but it's clearly not the one that anyone would want to  have to choose between, and as a result many people live as if they're straight when they're not. That's tragic for all involved.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Public-Choice
Ok. So I was right then, you do believe the science is wrong on homosexual attraction.
That's not what I believe. I would go on to explain where your analysis of me went wrong but since you didn't quote my words I have no idea where you're getting this nonsense interpretation from, which I suspect was the point.
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Double_R
What you misunderstand is that it's not about trust in any organization or individual, it's about trust in basic human nature. If WebMD was spreading misinformation, people would know about it.
As they knew with the abrahamic religions?

People who don't dare question authorities don't police them.

Why then, spread misinformation?
The #1 reason anyone spreads falsehoods is that they believe they are true.

They wouldn't, because like all of us they care about their well being over anything else and spreading misinformation would severely and irreparably harm that.
What about those anti-vaxer shamans who are making $$$? Trusting the money is about as safe as trusting the mob and for the same reasons.

So when I call you a conspiracy theorist it's not because you don't trust the sources I deem credible, but because you don't trust basic human nature. You seem to think it's perfectly plausible for large numbers of people to come together to advance a goal that defies the personal interests of the individuals involved, or for even larger numbers of people who are in a position to recognize what's happening would say absolutely nothing about it to anyone. I don't know what society you grew up in, but that's not how people work.
The catholic church
The Nazi state
The USSR
Some say MAGA

Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@SkepticalOne
Do you know what environmental conditions may trigger homosexuality? 
As I remember, it was thought the environment of womb might play a role. I don't remember specifics at this point.
Okay.

However, if homosexuals aren't at all attracted to the opposite sex, then there is virtually no chance that in yesteryears they would have had heterosexual sex because they would not have been inclined to do so. 
People have sex with individuals they aren't physically attracted to all the time thanks to things like loneliness and alcohol.
I think the alcohol makes those unattractive people attractive, hence people who drunk alcohol are actually attracted those people. The research on this topic all points towards alcohol drinkers seeing others as more attractive Beer goggles - Wikipedia 

I'm not sure people having sex out of loneliness is a thing. Do you have any research on this topic?

Culture can help too - Patriarchy, arranged marriages, etc. Besides that, it also seems homosexual individuals can be born of perfectly straight parents. 
Keep in mind that we're talking about homosexuals having heterosexual sex of their own volition, not people who are forced in arranged marriages (wherein there are probably instances of people having sex with others they are not attracted to). Due to homosexuals not being forced into heterosexual sex via these cultural arrangements, it's incredibly unlikely that homosexuals had heterosexual sex in the past.

That being said, it's strange why partial homosexuality exists to any degree. What benefits are there to be found in any degree of homosexuality, or do you suspect it was a coincidental evolutionary adaption?
Ive seen it argued homosexuality might create an excess of caretakers which could be good for ensuring the survival of young and other spreading of labor theories. I'm not sure I buy this, but it is plausible. I would tend to think if homosexuality is passed along by genes, folks with homosexual tendencies are doing enough to pass their genes through the generations. 
That does appear plausible. It's plausible homosexuality prevented some people from breeding, and therefore avoided a tribe having too many children to rear.
TWS1405_2
Debates: 4
TWS1405_2
-->
@Double_R
 But you feed into a societal narrative the he because of his choices should be regarded as mentally ill 
Word salad. 

🤦‍♂️🙄🤦‍♂️

Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
As they knew with the abrahamic religions?
Religion fits perfectly into everything I said. Again, religion is not testable even in theory, and we are absolutely terrible at facing the apparent realities of our own mortality. It's easily predictable that religions would make their way through our societies.

That aside, it demonstrates your unseriousness that you are still pretending there is an equivalence between religion and pretty much any other profession on earth. I've already explained the difference, did you have any response to that?

People who don't dare question authorities don't police them.
WebMD is not an authority to anyone with a degree.

And no one ever suggested they were not questionable, that's just your human nature ignoring conspiracy mind at work. This is exactly what I'm talking about.

The #1 reason anyone spreads falsehoods is that they believe they are true.
Yes, in most cases this is true, because most cases involve people reposting what they saw on Facebook. We're talking about the 3rd most utilized medical site in the world ran by a large group of qualified experts. These are not the same thing.

What about those anti-vaxer shamans who are making $$$?
Again, follow basic human nature. If WebMD spread misinformation it would take down their business because accuracy is their product. But there will always be some segment of society that doesn't understand how the world works and is easily manipulable. This segment will always be much smaller but can be sold just about anything so misinformation will always have monetary value, and there will always be someone willing to capitalize on it.

The catholic church
The Nazi state
The USSR
Some say MAGA
If you had a point here you forgot to make it.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Double_R
Please you can keep up with context better than that, don't be obtuse.

If you had a point here you forgot to make it.
Ok let's try this:

You seem to think it's perfectly plausible for large numbers of people to come together to advance a goal that defies the personal interests of the individuals involved
Examples of large numbers of people coming together to advance a goal that defies the personal interests of the individuals involved:

The catholic church
The Nazi state
The USSR
Some say MAGA

Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
-->
@Double_R
So then why did you quote disinformation from WebMD?
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Based on what you're saying here, would you go so far as to say it can't be recessive?
Um, let me try to phrase it better:

Note that when I say 'the' allele it is only in the abstract since having functionality spread out across multiple genes is one of the ways things become complicated (and thus non-deterministic).
If gayness is genetic, it's certainly spread across multiple genes. I think both sides (choice and genetic) have agreed to this.

I am saying that the allele(s) involved (if any) are so non-deterministic that it wouldn't matter if they were dominant or recessive because they wouldn't predict much of anything.
But being completely homosexual, especially in antiquity, would mean that you wouldn't breed. Hence, not breeding 100% determines that your genes won't be passed on, so complete homosexuality should be super deterministic if it is genetic.

Unless the benefits of homosexuality (or partial homosexuality) are outweighed by some of the most anti-breeding genes (gay genes), homosexuality should have entered extinction long ago. The fact that there isn't a hypothesis that anyone seems to agree with (people keep mentioning the excess caretaker hypothesis, but you don't seem to agree with that yourself) makes it pretty hard to advocate for a genetic cause.

A recessive trait following Mendelian inheritance would be something we couldn't possibly miss. As has been already posted in this thread twin studies prove it.

Now a recessive trait would serve to make sure there were never too many deviants in the analysis of general benefit, but that would be a factor multiplied by the  factor that not everyone with the genes are going to become deviants.

Is that clear? It could be recessive or it could be dominant, or neither (that's a thing) and that's something we wouldn't be able to determine until we've identified the genes. We can't do that until we know what the trigger is.
Yes, I understand.

What we can rule out is that there is an allele (even if recessive) that when expressed causes you to be a sexual deviant. The uncertainty is not modeled by recessive vs dominant.
Are you ruling this out because it's a singular allele, rather than multiple?

It's very possible that the genetic component is super generic, related to a bunch of stuff, and is indeed much like a gene that makes one like motorcycles. In that case though the complicated part is neurological or biochemical. Which means we're not going to figure it out any time soon; yet I am certain one day we will have a very good understanding of neurology and how the brain actually works.

It's just a slog of research about a phenomenon occurring before our eyes constantly. It's not like faster than light travel or hyper dimensional speculation.
Okay.

Perhaps, as some others are saying in this thread, it is epigenetic and only expresses under certain environments (maybe only in advantageous environments). That could be a way for this gene to avoid extinction.

But that would raise another big question: are there environments wherein homosexuality is advantageous?
Epigenetics can't be ruled out, but it's not a magic word to me; it's just one category of control system; the vast majority of which are utterly subconscious.

For example if I speculated that there was a biochemical reaction (pure hormone/pheromone communication and protein reaction) due to the environment that caused your brain to go deviant and stay that way would it really have any meaningful difference from an explanation involving epigenetics?
No, the result is the same.

In reality all these different systems interact with each other constantly. Any given function could rely on altering gene expression, protein domino logic, ion gradient changes, neuron signals, protein-like-RNA unfolding a bit, etc... etc... all at once (in different parts of the process).

All we can do right now is bracket what is possible by ruling out a few possibilities based on what we don't observe and what natural selection would allow.

I already gave my retelling of oromagi's theory of increased fitness for homosexuality. The environment where that would be considered more useful would be somewhere children are at risk and require a lot of help from adults; but not an environment with limited food or water as adults eat and drink a lot.

There is no reason it would need to react to the environment though; it is enough for a trait to be useful at the time to be selected; it doesn't need to detect when it would be useful, although sometimes it can and that kind of usefulness does tend stick around.
The biggest problem with your retelling is that ultimately, the homosexuals genes don't get passed on. Yes, they can help other's genes to be passed on, and that may help the tribe, but unless the homosexual passes on their genes, those genes should go extinct. In other words, helping other children doesn't help pass on your genes. Sure, closely related children can have similar genes, but they don't necessarily have your (homosexual) genes.

If homosexuality isn't a choice and can't be changed, but it's also not genetic, what then determines it?
Control systems beyond our conscious control. That can be the subconscious (which is probably the answer), or it could be gene switching (expressed proteins can change even with identical DNA), or it could be a pure chemical equilibrium of some complexity.
I thought the subconscious was determined by genetics, too, hence the variations in it.
Everything ultimately arises from genetics, but people mean something specific (or should) when they say "it's genetic". They mean you can map someone's genome and make a prediction.

I think it was TWS who used "green eyes" as his example of this. Now the fact that I am typing in English is certainly something made possible ultimately by my genes. My genes built the cells and proteins of my brain. My genes determined the patterns by which neurons link; but knowing English is not genetic.

Capacity for diversity vs predestination.
I'm pretty sure "it's genetic" means something's variance range can be (usually partly) explained by genes, rather than something you can only make a prediction with.

Knowing English and green eyes aren't the products of the subconscious. If homosexuality is a product of the subconscious, this variation in human sexuality should be explained by genetics.

What exactly is a "pure chemical equilibrium" of some complexity? I've never heard of that term before.
Well I was just covering all the bases. I don't know enough biology to know any examples off the top of my head. From an evolutionary standpoint they would certainly have been prevalent near the start of every new biochemical pathway; but probably just as certainly they would eventually be augmented by active control via in-situ proteins, epigenetics, etc...

Take ion (like sodium or hydroxide) flow through pores in a cell membrane for example. I think there are examples of both active and passive control. In passive control the proteins of the pore itself interact with differing concentrations on either side and that closes or opens the pore. There is no signalling, no waiting for new proteins or hormones to be manufactured. Just chemistry.

I don't know of any examples of life generating its own (pH) buffers, but I would be very surprised if it never happens. In fact I suspect my own blood and cytoplasm are buffers to some degree by design.

The context here is sexual attraction so no matter where the story starts it ends in the brain. A chain reaction of signal chemicals ending in "find men hot" is a bit like a fairy tale and quite inexplicable.  Like I said, covering all the bases.
Okay okay.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Kaitlyn
I think both sides (choice and genetic) have agreed to this.
There are more sides than that, I don't think it's genetic in any meaningful sense. Genetic to a lesser degree than alcoholism, maybe.

I am saying that the allele(s) involved (if any) are so non-deterministic that it wouldn't matter if they were dominant or recessive because they wouldn't predict much of anything.
But being completely homosexual, especially in antiquity, would mean that you wouldn't breed. Hence, not breeding 100% determines that your genes won't be passed on, so complete homosexuality should be super deterministic if it is genetic.

Unless the benefits of homosexuality (or partial homosexuality) are outweighed by some of the most anti-breeding genes (gay genes), homosexuality should have entered extinction long ago. The fact that there isn't a hypothesis that anyone seems to agree with (people keep mentioning the excess caretaker hypothesis, but you don't seem to agree with that yourself) makes it pretty hard to advocate for a genetic cause.
Whenever people talk about evolution they're always "telling a story" because there is almost never direct evidence of selection events. You know the start, the finish, and you can usually infer the environment and then you tell a story.

As evolutionary stories go, excess caretaker hypothesis doesn't seem particularly unlikely to me. I'm neutral on it. That's not why I don't think it's genetic. I don't think it's genetic because it's too widespread and we can't detect a variation between isolated populations of humanity. (at least none that I've heard of, although it could be suppressed given the LGBT cult)

What we can rule out is that there is an allele (even if recessive) that when expressed causes you to be a sexual deviant. The uncertainty is not modeled by recessive vs dominant.
Are you ruling this out because it's a singular allele, rather than multiple?
Yes, a single allele would be too simple no matter the dominance to explain what we see. The potential complexity of multiple alleles each having potentially non-linear impact becomes exponentially more complicated.

In reality all these different systems interact with each other constantly. Any given function could rely on altering gene expression, protein domino logic, ion gradient changes, neuron signals, protein-like-RNA unfolding a bit, etc... etc... all at once (in different parts of the process).

All we can do right now is bracket what is possible by ruling out a few possibilities based on what we don't observe and what natural selection would allow.

I already gave my retelling of oromagi's theory of increased fitness for homosexuality. The environment where that would be considered more useful would be somewhere children are at risk and require a lot of help from adults; but not an environment with limited food or water as adults eat and drink a lot.

There is no reason it would need to react to the environment though; it is enough for a trait to be useful at the time to be selected; it doesn't need to detect when it would be useful, although sometimes it can and that kind of usefulness does tend stick around.
The biggest problem with your retelling is that ultimately, the homosexuals genes don't get passed on. Yes, they can help other's genes to be passed on, and that may help the tribe, but unless the homosexual passes on their genes, those genes should go extinct. In other words, helping other children doesn't help pass on your genes. Sure, closely related children can have similar genes, but they don't necessarily have your (homosexual) genes.
If the the others don't have the homosexual genes then the theory falls apart, genes are selfish, and if the gene is unique to the non-reproducing individual it's an evolutionary dead end.

However that is something we can already rule out by modern observation. If there is a gene set, it is not so deterministic that it will certainly make you a deviant. So for the sake of argument say there is a set of genes [Deviant] that when you have them all you have a 25% chance of going deviant under typical nurture (for the paleolithic). You have three siblings, you're the only deviant; but they all have [Deviant].

Now [Deviant] has a chance to be selfish without direct reproduction. In this case niece and nephew survival promotes [Deviant] over the losers in the next cave who have 25% more children and no [Deviant].

I'm pretty sure "it's genetic" means something's variance range can be (usually partly) explained by genes, rather than something you can only make a prediction with.
In that case, what could possibly not be genetic? Even if the variance is very uniform throughout the human species, all you need to do is include other species in the analysis to say once again "it's genetic".

Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Examples of large numbers of people coming together to advance a goal that defies the personal interests of the individuals involved:

The catholic church
The Nazi state
The USSR
Some say MAGA
None of these are analogous. You miss the entire point, in the type of conspiracy I am talking about which you are heavily implying, people would have to participate *knowingly*. Take the WebMD example; if the experts involved didn't know their information was unreliable, they wouldn't be experts. The alternative is that the understand it and did it anyway. Meanwhile, the rest of the worlds actual experts would have to look the other way as harmful misinformation makes it's way to the forefront of our society. No one decides to make the news, no one decides to come together to call ou this operation out and get the credit for saving the rest of us. It defines all credulity, but this is the type of stuff you consistently allege is reasonable. Because you know, don't trust authority.

All of your examples are of large numbers of people being manipulated by having basic weaknesses in human nature exploited. Religion continues to be the main purveyor of this throughout our society. The Nazis, MAGA, all examples of people being led by their worst impulses in a situation where people are scared and/or angry and looking for a scapegoat. Any social or political scientist could explain how this works in detail. None of this compares to the type of conspiracies you allege.
SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
I think the alcohol makes those unattractive people attractive, hence people who drunk alcohol are actually attracted those people.
This underscores my point. Alcohol has been helping people score with those who would not be interested if sober. 

I'm not sure people having sex out of loneliness is a thing. Do you have any research on this topic?
Lonely people craving intimacy are prone to lowering their standards. Wouldn't you agree?

Keep in mind that we're talking about homosexuals having heterosexual sex of their own volition, not people who are forced in arranged marriages (wherein there are probably instances of people having sex with others they are not attracted to).
Why would we discount forced marriages and cultural influences? Obviously, homosexuals forced into sex with heterosexuals will propagate homosexuality (assuming heredity).
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Double_R
None of these are analogous.
They aren't analogies they are examples of "large numbers of people to come together to advance a goal that defies the personal interests of the individuals involved".

So yes, I think it is plausible because it's happened so many times and keeps happening.

if the experts involved didn't know their information was unreliable, they wouldn't be experts.
Eureka!

The Nazis, MAGA, all examples of people being led by their worst impulses in a situation where people are scared and/or angry and looking for a scapegoat.
Well it's a good thing we've moved beyond fear and anger... oh wait...

If you're wondering what the emotions evolved here are it's very simple: People don't like to be shamed, they don't like to feel as if they're broken or disabled.

Anyone who is willing to tell a sexual deviant that they're abnormality is not only beyond their control but the result of a long history of being loyal supporters of their family is going to have a willing audience.

Don't misunderstand, just because it is comforting doesn't mean it's false; but this isn't different and it never will be. People will always have values which means they will always have preferences which means they will always have bias. Objectivity isn't the lack of bias it's the application of logical checks.

Any social or political scientist could explain how this works in detail. None of this compares to the type of conspiracies you allege.
The only conspiracy I've alleged (when you were paying attention) was that Hunter and Joe Biden were conspiring with the CEO of Burisma to deflect an investigation. Everything else could be easily explained by people following orders or reporting what they were told.

Just as statements on WebMD without a shred of scientific utility (and just like religious dogma quite untestable for the moment) can easily be explained by WebMD staff wanting to lend aid and comfort to what is popularly seen as a victim group. That's not a conspiracy, or if it is; then everything is a conspiracy and anyone who isn't a conspiracy theorist is insane.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
They aren't analogies they are examples of "large numbers of people to come together to advance a goal that defies the personal interests of the individuals involved".

So yes, I think it is plausible because it's happened so many times and keeps happening.
You missed the entire point yet again.

As I explained in my previous post, I'm talking about willing participants in activities providing no discernable benefit to those involved. And by willing, I'm talking about people who are aware of all of this. You're talking about situations where large numbers of people are appealed to on the basis of a cognitive weakness being exploited. 

The former goes entirely against basic human nature. The latter is entirely consistent with human nature. These phenomenon have all been well documented and studied. They're not the same.

The only conspiracy I've alleged (when you were paying attention) was that Hunter and Joe Biden were conspiring with the CEO of Burisma to deflect an investigation. Everything else could be easily explained by people following orders or reporting what they were told.

Just as statements on WebMD without a shred of scientific utility (and just like religious dogma quite untestable for the moment) can easily be explained by WebMD staff wanting to lend aid and comfort to what is popularly seen as a victim group.
No, they couldn't.

In the first example, you have both the Vice President upending US foreign policy in order to cover for the corruption of himself and his son by making up a lie that the Ukrainian prosecutor is corrupt, meanwhile the State Department and the President decide to go along with it pretending it's all for legitimate reasons. Why? How does this benefit either? No conceivable answer.

Then you have government officials from both within the US government (including republicans) buying into the whole thing hook line and sinker. Why? Does the rest of the US government know nothing what about the world except what Joseph Robinette Biden tells them? Is there no other intelligence on the ground? No conceivable answer.

What about US intelligence communities? Any of them care to speak up about what was going on? No? Why not? No conceivable answer.

What about journalists? Anyone wondering why a non corrupt prosecutor is being fired for corruption after being pushed out by an official of a foreign government? Is any journalist going to look into all of the easily verifiable examples provided of this prosector not investigating corruption? Does anyone want to break the story of the corrupt VP covering up for his son? No? Why not? No conceivable answer.

So with all of the hard passes by literally everyone to look into this, how did we eventually find out? Oh, because the corrupt VP who got away with everything decided to tell the entire world about it just as he was gearing up for a presidential campaign.

And now that the issue has been widely politicized, all of a sudden we are learning the truth that no one wanted to know about before.

Makes perfect sense.

But there's more, because it turns out the world's third most utilized medical site decides to post whatever feels right to them with no science to back it up.

And the staff who run various aspects of this website just go along with it. Non of them share the fact that the website most people turn to for basic easily verifiable medical information is bullshit with anyone, including apparently after they leave the company.

And medical professionals from all over the world who could easily tell whether the information is bogus seem to care nothing about the fact that dangerously false information is being spread by this prominent site. Why not? No conceivable answer.

And no journalist wants to break the story and maybe win a Nobel prize for exposing the fraud that spreads false medical information to hundreds of millions of people every month. Why not? No conceivable answer.

And the owners of this website are laughing all the way to the bank because they could have just posted real information that would actually help people but instead seemed to know that no one out there, not even the experts themselves, care whether the information posted on this site is accurate.

This is the world we live in in the mind of a conspiracy. theorist

So again, when I call you one, it's blurry because you disagree with me or because you don't "trust authority". It's because you have a fundamental lack of understanding about how people work.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Double_R
As I explained in my previous post, I'm talking about willing participants in activities providing no discernable benefit to those involved. And by willing, I'm talking about people who are aware of all of this.
Aware that there is no benefit? Then of course that's against human nature.

...but since humans so easily delude themselves and others that means absolutely nothing and large numbers of people to come together to advance a goal that defies the personal interests of the individuals involved.

In the first example, you have both the Vice President upending US foreign policy in order to cover for the corruption of himself and his son by making up a lie that the Ukrainian prosecutor is corrupt, meanwhile the State Department and the President decide to go along with it pretending it's all for legitimate reasons. Why? How does this benefit either? No conceivable answer.
Any employee of the state departments: Doesn't know it's a lie, it might even be a half truth (which are the best lies). +Not being on the wrong side of your superiors who could fire you.

Obama: Doesn't know it's a lie, it might even be a half truth (which are the best lies), even if he was ever informed (which I have seen no evidence of). Meanwhile it tends to be counter-productive to put an underling in charge of something and then micromanage them.

What you claim can only be explained by conspiracy against the public is absurdly easy to explain through ignorance and self-interest.

Then you have government officials from both within the US government (including republicans) buying into the whole thing hook line and sinker. Why?
You tell me, why are they now convinced there are audio recordings of Biden accepting bribes (which he probably solicited)? Why would they do that?

What about US intelligence communities? Any of them care to speak up about what was going on? No? Why not? No conceivable answer.
How many people actually knew what was going on? Do whistleblowers not count? (because there are whistle blowers)

What about journalists? Anyone wondering why a non corrupt prosecutor is being fired for corruption after being pushed out by an official of a foreign government?
Yes I posted those questions from journalists, you dismissed them because they were Russian.

Does anyone want to break the story of the corrupt VP covering up for his son? No? Why not? No conceivable answer.
How do you think I know all this?

So with all of the hard passes by literally everyone to look into this, how did we eventually find out? Oh, because the corrupt VP who got away with everything decided to tell the entire world about it just as he was gearing up for a presidential campaign.
Oh he didn't tell the whole world about Hunter's income sources. He was just bragging about the quid pro quo when it was still cool to extort US puppets.

And now that the issue has been widely politicized, all of a sudden we are learning the truth that no one wanted to know about before.
You are right the lack of wide politicization explains the lack of hard scrutiny before. It's easy to dominate the narrative when you're the only one releasing information.

Makes perfect sense.
I know.

But there's more, because it turns out the world's third most utilized medical site decides to post whatever feels right to them with no science to back it up.

And the staff who run various aspects of this website just go along with it. Non of them share the fact that the website most people turn to for basic easily verifiable medical information is bullshit with anyone, including apparently after they leave the company.

And medical professionals from all over the world who could easily tell whether the information is bogus seem to care nothing about the fact that dangerously false information is being spread by this prominent site.
First I've heard of it.

And no journalist wants to break the story and maybe win a Nobel prize for exposing the fraud that spreads false medical information to hundreds of millions of people every month.
"Most scientists agree that sexual orientation (including homosexuality and bisexuality) is the result of a combination of environmental, emotional, hormonal, and biological factors."

That's not medical information, that's stating the sky is blue in scientific vocabulary. Try to imagine a test to disprove that.

BTW you can't win nobel prizes for for non-PC things BTW. See Obama 'winning'.

This is the world we live in in the mind of a conspiracy. theorist
Well when you're done roleplaying as a strawman maybe you can admit I'm right about appealing to authority being useless in the context of debate.

Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Any employee of the state departments: Doesn't know it's a lie, it might even be a half truth (which are the best lies).
Seriously? What do you think the people who work at the state department do all day? Sit around waiting for the VP to tell them what's going on around the world?

Obama: Doesn't know it's a lie, it might even be a half truth (which are the best lies), even if he was ever informed (which I have seen no evidence of). Meanwhile it tends to be counter-productive to put an underling in charge of something and then micromanage them.
It's not micromanaging to know when your underling is threatening to withhold US foreign aid to another country. The state department, as well as every intelligence agency in the government exists to keep the president informed of world affairs. And your answer is he didn't know because no one told him because the departments themselves didn't know. You can't be serious.

You tell me, why are they now convinced there are audio recordings of Biden accepting bribes (which he probably solicited)? Why would they do that?
Because of politics. Accusing Biden of bribery is what the base wants, even when the source is a Russian oligarch who provided no evidence and no one has talked to in 3 years.

How many people actually knew what was going on? Do whistleblowers not count? (because there are whistle blowers)
Everyone knew what was going on, none of this was a secret. Here's the thing you don't seem to understand... People talk to each other. People like knowing what's going on. If the VP were strong arming another country to save his corrupt son especially against official US foreign policy everyone working around him would know about it.

Because apparently Joe Biden decided to tell the entire world about his corruption, right before running for president

You are right the lack of wide politicization explains the lack of hard scrutiny before. It's easy to dominate the narrative when you're the only one releasing information.
Lack of politicization explains why you or I didn't know about this - because we have jobs of our own to worry about. Politicization means nothing to the people whose literal jobs it is to understand all of this stuff and deal with it - in real life.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Double_R
Any employee of the state departments: Doesn't know it's a lie, it might even be a half truth (which are the best lies).
Seriously? What do you think the people who work at the state department do all day? Sit around waiting for the VP to tell them what's going on around the world?
In terms of % of employees most probably sit around all day. I've never been surrounded by more unproductive people than when I worked for government, I got out pay be damned thank goodness.

In this case it's not the whole state department, it's just one ambassador and whoever he involved. Seeing as a few phone calls fully explain all the evidence there is no need to assume anyone else was necessary.

It's not micromanaging to know when your underling is threatening to withhold US foreign aid to another country.
Maybe, but it remains true that my theory does not require Obama to know about the quid pro quo much less know it was helpful to Biden's personal finances.

The state department, as well as every intelligence agency in the government exists to keep the president informed of world affairs.
That's why people admitted to lying to Trump about troop deployments right?

And your answer is he didn't know because no one told him because the departments themselves didn't know. You can't be serious.
I'm quite serious. Also recall that there are two different things to know:
A) the extortion, which Biden bragged about on camera
B) The fact that Hunter was collecting money for inexplicable benefits as his father delivered on removing a prosecutor who has claimed he was investigating the source of the inexplicable benefits.

There is no reason to assume that anybody except the Bidens and their shell company goons knew about (B) until later investigations and (actual) journalism. One of those shell company goons wasn't sufficiently goonish and became a whistleblower BTW, so even there the conspiracy size was too big.

Because of politics. Accusing Biden of bribery is what the base wants, even when the source is a Russian oligarch who provided no evidence and no one has talked to in 3 years.
Sounds like they aren't that hard to convince.

If the VP were strong arming another country to save his corrupt son especially against official US foreign policy everyone working around him would know about it.
Ok, so you assume that since everyone must know about corruption, the only possible conspiracy size is: everyone. Since you don't want to be a conspiracy theorist you dismiss the possibility of corruption because such a large conspiracy could not exist.

You call me a conspiracy theorist because I do not dismiss the possibility of corruption. You do not acknowledge that I do not agree with the premise that the only possible conspiracy size is: everyone.

Has it occurred to you that your implicit argument that corruption was impossible is applicable to every government?

How did the holocaust happen? That's a pretty big conspiracy size. They all agreed on the goal? Yes but there were goals within goals weren't there. Some nazis wanted to kill jews and that's all. Some wanted to steal the jew's stuff... and probably see them dead.

That's what's going on here. The deep state wanted burisma protected because it was a pawn in the energy game in Ukraine, fighting over the gas pipelines (sound familiar?). The deep state wanted Shokin gone because he was not playing ball with Ukraine being a puppet (they called him pro-russian and the Russians liked him because of this). Biden wanted all that, plus he was skimming off the whole affair via Hunter's "employment".

Even if a deep-stater knew about Hunter (which there would be no reason to assume they did), they wouldn't care at all about that because blowing the whistle would endanger the removal of Shokin and weaken the US overlordship.

Because apparently Joe Biden decided to tell the entire world about his corruption, right before running for president
That's how I knew about (A), and even that was a slow boil because the propaganda machine didn't care. That was one of Trump's strategic mistakes the whole term BTW, he trusted DC swamp creatures with information. If he had just blasted it out in tweets they could never have railroaded him like they did.

TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
You need to put yourself in the other guys shoes when you say stuff like that.

Make an argument if you care enough to threaten death.
Having sex with a child is raping that child because kids can't consent.  Rape should be punished with death.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@TheUnderdog
You can't deliver death online and deciding to kill someone makes you their enemy. You don't warn the enemy of your intentions. Threatening to kill people online is indulging in fantasy for your own gratification. It has no tactical or rational value.

You can debate the nature of consent in this thread so it's not spread out all over the site: https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/8032-most-people-dont-know-how-badly-the-pedophiles-are-treated-in-prison?page=1&post_number=17
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
You can't deliver death online and deciding to kill someone makes you their enemy.
I have no power to kill you whatsoever.  But it is my position that child rapists should get the death penalty.

You can debate the nature of consent in this thread so it's not spread out all over the site
I'll have a look.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@TheUnderdog

You can't deliver death online and deciding to kill someone makes you their enemy.
I have no power to kill you whatsoever.
You were  threatening Korea remember?

You do have the power to kill, if you didn't have the power to kill we would have solved all moral problems because we couldn't harm each other. The question is not can you kill but how will you kill and will you take responsibility for it?

For instance I support a system of government with police, it would by hypocritical and cowardly to claim to be a pacifist at the same time as I vote for and lend support towards an organization that keeps killing people in my name.

Part of that responsibility, an indispensable part is that I had better damn well know exactly why someone ought to be killed by my agents (and they are my agents if I support them morally or financially).

12 days later

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
You were  threatening Korea remember?
If Korea raped a kid, I would WANT him killed.  But I’m not going to find his address, drive to that address, and kill him.  Even if he told me his address, I wouldn’t kill him.  I have no power.  Now if I was president and I managed to make child rape punishable by death, I WOULD be responsible for the death of child rapists.  But me as a random person am only responsible for people getting them killed if I either sign a bill that gets them killed or murder them with a weapon.

For instance I support a system of government with police, it would by hypocritical and cowardly to claim to be a pacifist at the same time as I vote for and lend support towards an organization that keeps killing people in my name.
You could argue that, but I’m pretty much the opposite of a pacifist.  I can list 6 crimes that I think should be punishable by death, I want to own an AR 15, a shotgun, and a Glock.  If someone breaks into my house and I think they are not a threat, they will not leave that house alive.  But I’m vegan, and I respect the right to not get homicided of innocent animals than the people that rape kids.  Those people should get a tall tree and a short piece of rope, if you know what I mean(if you call them people).