Dee-Santis is a paper tiger

Author: IwantRooseveltagain

Total: 12
IwantRooseveltagain
Debates: 0
IwantRooseveltagain
A New Hampshire student, referring to the Jan. 6, 2021, riot that followed Trump’s incendiary harangue and disrupted the certifying of electoral votes, asked DeSantis last month whether Trump “violated the peaceful transfer of power.” DeSantis’s less-than-courageous answer: “I wasn’t anywhere near Washington that day. I have nothing to do with what happened that day.” Good grief. He wasn’t anywhere near Gettysburg in July 1863 and had nothing to do with the moon landing in July 1969, but that does not preclude him from having thoughts about these events.

-article by George Will in the Washington Post
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain

I am glad he puts his own interests over running the state of Florida. 
Best.Korea
Debates: 274
Best.Korea
Sometimes people prefer not to answer questions. Probably doesnt want to lose supporters. He is a paper tiger.

Biden is strong. He does what he wants, and people obey him no matter what.
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
What’s remarkable is that the political right denies MAGA is a cult all while the very people running against Trump cannot criticize him in any way out of fear that the base will revolt.

You couldn’t have invented an easier way to tell.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@Double_R
True, it is a cult of a deplorable personality and racism 
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
Cool, another Repulicanmanbad post.
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
Of course, it’s campaign season on a debate site.

Besides, sure beats another I hate trans people thread
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
I don't really prefer trains either. Too noisy.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
I don't really prefer trains either. Too noisy.
Is this an example of a great sense of humor? 

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
I guess it depends on what you mean by paper tiger. Usually, that term means they pretend to be a threat but actually aren't. In desantis' case, I don't see how that applies. He is genuinely a terrible person who would do terrible things if elected president. He is every bit as despicable as trump is. His corruption, his desire to hurt poor people and minorities, his need for power and control.  And since he actually has a track record of doing these things successfully in florida, he is actually much more threatening that trump. 

But he is also deathly afraid of trump since his cultists are disturbingly, violently loyal to him. So I would say him being a coward is more accurate than a paper tiger. 
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@HistoryBuff
I guess it depends on what you mean by paper tiger.
He’s a wimp who acts like a tough guy. 

What is the paper tiger in politics?
If you say that an institution, a country, or a person is a paper tiger, you mean that although they seem powerful they do not really have any power.

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
He’s a wimp who acts like a tough guy. 

What is the paper tiger in politics?
If you say that an institution, a country, or a person is a paper tiger, you mean that although they seem powerful they do not really have any power.
I mean, the poor people and minorities he has targeted in Florida would disagree. He definitely isn't a paper tiger to them.

And his lack of power doesn't have anything to do with him really. It is due to trump. Trump is a cult leader that sucks up all the oxygen and has fanatical support among a large chunk of the republican base. But if trump hypothetically had a heart attack and died tomorrow. Desantis would likely jump out to being the front runner and would have real power on a national level. And since he is even more hateful and disgusting than trump, he would be a real threat to everyone.

I still think "coward" better describes him than "paper tiger". But maybe I am just splitting hairs. If he is a paper tiger, than pretty much all republicans in america are, since they are all scared of crossing trump.