Just Give Us One Miracle

Author: YouFound_Lxam

Total: 102
YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
Atheists want you to believe that it is all about measurement and reason, if you allow them one miracle. 
And that one miracle, is the Big Bang. That all things come from probably the most preposterous idea ever, that everything came from nothing, in one big miracle. 

Every single explanation for the beginning of the universe is:
"Give us one miracle, then we can explain the rest."

I thought Atheists didn't have to have faith about anything, because anything can be explained with science.
How can you Atheists explain this? 

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
There is no actual explanation for the beginning.

Just speculation.

And some  speculations are more preposterous than others.

Magical Blokes is pretty preposterous, don't you think?
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
The big bang theory does not in fact suggest that anything came from nothing but rather that everything that exists once occupied a very small point and then began to expand.
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@secularmerlin
everything that exists once occupied a very small point and then began to expand.
Where did everything that occupied the tiny space come from then?

Even the "very small point" had to come into existence somehow. How did that space come into existence?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
The big bang theory is not concerned with where it came from only the hot dense state it once took.

Also the big bang theory is unconnected with atheism specifically. It is not concerned with any gods. Some scientists who study big bang cosmology are also religious. You seem to be conflating scientific literacy with atheism. They are not the same.

The big bang does not specifically preclude the possibility of some deity. In general if someone both identifies as an atheist and is not ignorant in big bang cosmology they would remain atheists even if big bang cosmology were conclusively disproved.
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@secularmerlin
The big bang theory is not concerned with where it came from only the hot dense state it once took.
Yeah, but my point is that Atheists have no proof of what caused the Big Bang, or what created the materials for the Big Bang. 

That is the miracle that Atheists ask for. They ask for one miracle. 

Also the big bang theory is unconnected with atheism specifically.
Yes it is. Atheism is the belief that there is no God, and that we are all here by chance, and we serve no true purpose in life. 

Some scientists who study big bang cosmology are also religious.
I specifically brought up Athiests, and not "people who believe in the Big Bang" for this exact purpose.

I am a Christian and I belive in the Big Bang. I just belive that God was the cause for it. 

You seem to be conflating scientific literacy with atheism.
Read above. 

The big bang does not specifically preclude the possibility of some deity. In general if someone both identifies as an atheist and is not ignorant in big bang cosmology they would remain atheists even if big bang cosmology were conclusively disproved.
I know. 
That. 
Is.
Why.
I.
Said.
Atheists.

I specifically brought up Athiests, and not "people who believe in the Big Bang" for this exact purpose.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Atheists did not suggest the big bang theory cosmological did. Some cosmologists are atheists others are not. The thing you are talking about does not actually touch on the question of gods at all.

They are unrelated topics.

You are conflating scientific literacy with atheism and they are not the same thing.
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@secularmerlin
Atheists did not suggest the big bang theory cosmological did. Some cosmological are atheists others are not. The thing you are talking about does not actually touch on the question of gods at all.

They are unrelated topics.

You are conflating scientific literacy with atheism and they are not the same thing.
Ok, let me spell it out for you. 

Athiests belive in the Big Bang Theory, but they don't have an answer to what caused the Big Bang, because they refuse to accept any supernatural type of idea. 

Now there are some (myself) who belive in the Big Bang, but belive that a higher force or supernatural force was the cause for it. 

This forum is addressing only the Atheists perspective of the Big Bang Theory. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
So to recap you are not actually arguing about the big bang at all...

So why did you decide to bring it up at all? 

What is your point here?

If we agree that the big bang happened then we have no discussion to have there.

We must go that step beyond. That step where you claim to have special knowledge that is somehow inaccessible to those who do not share your particular view. Since you are the one proposing a specific cause I have to ask... what's your evidence for your particular pet theory? What makes the yahweh a better candidate explanation than say the Great Green Arkleseizure?
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@secularmerlin
If we agree that the big bang happened then we have no discussion to have there.
The discussion was for Atheists. And how Athiests need this one miracle to justify there view of a world either no miracles. 
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@secularmerlin
What makes the yahweh a better candidate explanation than say the Great Green Arkleseizure?
That would have to be a debate, or a different forum, because I would have to go through all the reasons and proofs of why Jesus is God. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
The discussion was for Atheists. And how Athiests need this one miracle to justify there view of a world either no miracles. 

Atheists are not so far as I know offering any explanations. At least not the Atheists you seem to be addressing. When you only follow the evidence and do not allow yourself to believe things for which you have no compelling evidence you need not justify that which you believe. I believe the big bang happened. I do not know how or why. I do not know where everything came from or if it was always around or if those are even coherent terms for whatever the actual first stage of the big bang actually was. I don't have to justify the big bang if we both agree it happened and I'm not offering any explanation for it. I don't actually identify as an atheist by the by I am just a person who happens to not believe in any god(s) but I figure that's good enough for our purposes. 
I would have to go through all the reasons and proofs of why Jesus is God. 
Nah,just start with your best one. The clincher. Like the way you know, you know? If that one falls through maybe we can skip a lot of the other arguments. Or if you want we can examine your second best piece of evidence. I got nothin' but time. 
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@secularmerlin
Atheists are not so far as I know offering any explanations.
My whole point. Great we understand eachother. 

As for the rest of your response, the answer is simple:

Something cannot come from nothing. Therefore the matter that started the Big Bang couldn't of been forever existing. That also means that something had to of caused that matter to come into existence.

What kind of a force could cause matter to appear from nothing, in a void of nothing. Actually not even a void of nothing, just nothing. 

Well, this force would have to be an intelligent force, because our human brains came from that "explosion" as evolution states so this force would have to be intelligent.

A force that is supernatural, and is intelligent? 
Sounds like God to me. 

And of course there is more evidence than that, but it would take a long time to write down. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
Something cannot come from nothing. Therefore the matter that started the Big Bang couldn't of been forever existing.
That actually could mean specifically that the (whatever it is that would eventually make up the matter of the universe) always existed... if always is even a coherent term here.
What kind of a force could cause matter to appear from nothing, in a void of nothing. Actually not even a void of nothing, just nothing. 
You just said at length that this specific event could not occur so as per your argument there was never a time when there was nothing and then there was matter. Again if any of those terms even have any meaning in this context.

So far you have not eliminated the possibility of all the (whatever would eventually evolve into all the matter) existed for all of (whatever passed for time before the big bang).

So far I don't require a creator even if I accept for the purposes of this argument that the big bang could not have been a spontaneous event. 
this force would have to be an intelligent force, because our human brains came from that "explosion" as evolution states so this force would have to be intelligent.
One does not logically follow. The story of the universe would seem to be one of increasing complexity. Of the intelligent literally arising from from the interactions of unintelligent cells. I have no reason to surmise that the cause of the big bang (should the big bang in fact have a cause which you previously argued was impossible since something literally will not come from nothing) was intelligent. 
A force that is supernatural, and is intelligent? 
Now it's supernatural too? Why would I assume the intelligence that caused the big bang (assuming an intelligence was the cause) would be supernatural or even have meant to do it?
And of course there is more evidence than that, but it would take a long time to write down. 
I think I missed the part were you offered any evidence... just a second while I read back...

No just conjecture so far.

Also strangely nothing that points specifically to yahweh. Even if I assumed you were right about there being a god you would still have all your work ahead of you to prove that it is your god. 
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@YouFound_Lxam

Even the "very small point" had to come into existence somehow. How did that space come into existence?
Why does this argument only apply to one side of the argument? 

Can't the opposition ask the same thing:

Where did God come from then?

Even God had to come into existence somehow. How did God come into existence?

What is the point of accusing them of not having answers that you don't have either?
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Science is not about forcing the world upon manmade assumption like many religious organizations do. Big Bang is a theory. We just have calculated the plausibility of such an event even though none of us are old enough to see it in person. And that is okay by scientific standards.

By no means are the scientific consensus saying that we understand what caused the big bang. We just assumed its existence because there are evidence towards it. Anything before are only theoretical and speculative and we have little evidence on that, unless the new report on internationally authoritative journals come out saying otherwise.
Vegasgiants
Debates: 4
Vegasgiants
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
The big bang like lots in science is unexplained 

The religious immediately go.....must be god!!!!!

Like they used to say everytine we had an eclipse.   Lol

Unexplained science is just unexplained science.....not evidence of god
Vegasgiants
Vegasgiants
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Why can't something have always existed?  Why is that not possible?
Vegasgiants
Vegasgiants
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
This is where you go wrong.  Why can't something always have existed?  In fact all evidence points to that it has
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Just Give Us One Miracle
You are talking about finding 11,780 votes, right?
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@secularmerlin
That actually could mean specifically that the (whatever it is that would eventually make up the matter of the universe) always existed... if always is even a coherent term here.
It couldn't have always existed, because again, something cannot come from nothing, so at some point, that something had to of come from something. 

You just said at length that this specific event could not occur so as per your argument there was never a time when there was nothing and then there was matter. Again if any of those terms even have any meaning in this context.

So far you have not eliminated the possibility of all the (whatever would eventually evolve into all the matter) existed for all of (whatever passed for time before the big bang).

So far I don't require a creator even if I accept for the purposes of this argument that the big bang could not have been a spontaneous event. 
Ok. Couple things to point out.

First off, Time is measurable. That is one of the main ways that we figured out the Big Bang, my measuring space, and using time as a measurement.
Time is measurable; therefore, time must have a start, and anything that exists before time, cannot exist because you need both time, space, and matter, for something to exist. 

Secondly at some point there had to be nothing. That means no time, space, or matter. It is really hard for humans to picture nothing, because even a black void is something. Now why did there have to be this point? Because if something exists then there has to be something that created it, and before that thing created it, that something wouldn't exist. 

One does not logically follow. The story of the universe would seem to be one of increasing complexity. Of the intelligent literally arising from from the interactions of unintelligent cells. I have no reason to surmise that the cause of the big bang (should the big bang in fact have a cause which you previously argued was impossible since something literally will not come from nothing) was intelligent. 
Let me give an example. 

Let's say you have a watch. You take each and every piece of that watch apart. Every gear, every screw. Then you put all the pieces in a box. No matter how much you shake that box, you will never get a watch. 

Same with us as humans, who are even more complex and fragile than watches. 

You have very intelligent humans. Let's say you take each and every piece of that human (building blocks of life) and you put it in a void. Now no matter how much you blow up and shake that void, you will never get a fully developed human. 

An intelligent being, cannot come from an unintelligent creation. 

Now it's supernatural too? Why would I assume the intelligence that caused the big bang (assuming an intelligence was the cause) would be supernatural or even have meant to do it?
Because this force would have to break the laws of science/nature, giving it the title, supernatural. 

Also strangely nothing that points specifically to yahweh. Even if I assumed you were right about there being a god you would still have all your work ahead of you to prove that it is your god. 
It's one thing to prove there is a God, and another to prove that God is Yahweh.
Now, I could never give 100% evidence to prove any of this, because God gives us questions, we cannot answer, to test our faith, because only by faith can we make it to heaven with him.
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Sidewalker
Why does this argument only apply to one side of the argument? 

Can't the opposition ask the same thing:

Where did God come from then?

Even God had to come into existence somehow. How did God come into existence?

What is the point of accusing them of not having answers that you don't have either?
Any rational person would know why this argument can only apply to one side.

God exists outside the laws of science that we exist in. Heck, he created them.
That means that in the universe God created for us, a rule is that something cannot come from nothing. 
But God is not bound by that rule. God is infinite and exist outside of time, space, and matter, because he created them. 

YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Intelligence_06
Science is not about forcing the world upon manmade assumption like many religious organizations do. Big Bang is a theory. We just have calculated the plausibility of such an event even though none of us are old enough to see it in person. And that is okay by scientific standards.

By no means are the scientific consensus saying that we understand what caused the big bang. We just assumed its existence because there are evidence towards it. Anything before are only theoretical and speculative and we have little evidence on that, unless the new report on internationally authoritative journals come out saying otherwise.
You basically proved my point. "Give us one miracle."
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Vegasgiants
Why can't something have always existed?  Why is that not possible?
Because:
Something cannot come from Nothing. 
Something has to come from Something. 

So, at some point that means that there had to be nothing, meaning something couldn't of always existed. 

This is where you go wrong.  Why can't something always have existed?  In fact all evidence points to that it has
No. Thats wrong thinking. 
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@YouFound_Lxam

With electrons and positrons (or “holes”) being created out of literally nothing, just ripped out of the quantum vacuum by electric fields themselves, it's yet another way that the Universe demonstrates the seemingly impossible: we really can make something from absolutely nothing!
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
I wouldn't call it a "miracle". It is just an indicator that we don't understand the Big Bang itself quite well enough. We used to think that flooding was the anger from the Gods, but now we build dams and regulate our waterways instead of keep considering them supernatural.

My point being, science will not assume what the big bang really is in essence calling it factual and will not call it a miracle for the future possibility that it might just be understood.
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@FLRW
With electrons and positrons (or “holes”) being created out of literally nothing, just ripped out of the quantum vacuum by electric fields themselves, it's yet another way that the Universe demonstrates the seemingly impossible: we really can make something from absolutely nothing!
Yea, but even a quantum vacuum is something. 
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Intelligence_06
Still proves my point. 
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Well, we agree on the fact that neither us nor the entire scientific community really "know" what big bang actually is. We disagree on whether to consider it 'miracle' or not. I think we should not.
Vegasgiants
Vegasgiants
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Prove it

Why can't something have always existed?