Are anti-Trumpers the bad guys?

Author: Greyparrot

Total: 13
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot

This NYT article tries to explain why Donald Trump remains popular in the polls despite facing frequent indictments. Brooks explores two different perspectives on Trump's appeal. One perspective comes from anti-Trump individuals who see his supporters as reactionary bigots and authoritarians, while they see themselves as tropes of progressive forces of enlightenment. However, Brooks challenges this view and presents a more reasoned and alternative perspective.

Brooks suggests that the educated elite class, including anti-Trumpers, might actually be the "bad guys" in this story. They argue that this class created a system of meritocracy that favors academic achievement and excludes others. Highly educated parents pass their privileges to their children, leading to a concentration of power among the educated elite. This elite class dominates professions, media, and politics, and they tend to congregate in a few prosperous metro areas.

The elite class regularly supports policies that benefit themselves, like free trade and open immigration, and free tuition, but may negatively impact others. They use language and cultural norms as tools to recognize one another and exclude those who don't conform to their standards. The erosion of social norms, such as discouraging having children outside of marriage, affects less-educated classes more severely. The Brookings study on poverty shows a direct correlation between out of wedlock children and generational poverty.

Brooks doesn't label the elite as "vicious or evil" but points out that they benefit from "oppressive systems." This disconnect between the elite class and the less-educated classes creates a sense of economic, political, and cultural assault, leading many to rally around Trump as their champion against the elite. This is especially true as "rules for thee but not for me" manifests throughout the country.

While Brooks holds the opinion that Trump's indictments are not a political witch hunt, he emphasizes the need for self-reflection and discretion among the elite class. The article ends on this note: The elite class must stop behaving in ways that make Trumpism inevitable and at least attempt to address the grievances of the less-educated classes.

The NYT article presents two perspectives on Trump's popularity: one sees his supporters as bigots and Trump as a monster who deserves punishment, while the other views the elite class as the architects of a system designed to exclude and oppress, leading to a backlash represented by Trump's appeal. Brooks calls for a deeper understanding of the underlying issues to bridge the vast divide between the two groups.

Sociologist E. Digby Baltzell wrote decades ago, “History is a graveyard of classes which have preferred caste privileges to leadership.” That is the destiny the elite class is now flirting with. We can condemn the Trumpian populists all day until the cows come home, but the real question is when will the elites stop behaving in ways that make Trumpism inevitable?
IwantRooseveltagain
Debates: 0
IwantRooseveltagain
Is Trump not considered an “elite” because he is so obviously stupid?

Is that why the MAGA morons like him?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot

When David Brooks writes about the possibility that "we're the bad guys here," I can understand the sentiment and appreciate the introspection, and I commend him for that. However, there's so much more to this puzzle that he seems to miss. The privileged elite class isolates themselves, enjoying all the benefits and giving themselves whatever they desire. Meanwhile, their media associates act as if they're oppressed, creating YouTube videos advocating for the left and calling for policies like forgiving student debt, while in reality, they are the ones arguing to take from the poor. They claim to be the oppressed, but in truth, they are the bourgeoisie, the merchant class, the intelligentsia. To those intelligentsia advocating for a "revolution," I urge you to study the history of the Soviet Union and what happened to the intelligentsia there, or look into Poland and the fate of the intelligentsia during a revolution, look how Cambodia dealt with intelligent people. When revolution comes calling, you are the first ones to be targeted and put against the wall. So, while Brooks' introspection is commendable, there is a lot more complexity to this situation, and those advocating for radical change should be cautious of the potential and inevitable consequences.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
“The meritocracy isn’t only a system of exclusion; it’s an ethos. During his presidency, Barack Obama used the word “smart” in the context of his policies over 900 times. The implication was that anybody who disagreed with his policies (and perhaps didn’t go to Harvard Law) must be stupid”

Yes, the United States is a meritocracy. And a truck drivers child can go to college and be a doctor. But if the kid chooses to quit high school and be a truck driver, he should expect to make no more than his father.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Greyparrot

I see his supporters as bigots and Trump as a monster who deserves punishment.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
“Armed with all kinds of economic, cultural and political power, we support policies that help ourselves. Free trade makes the products we buy cheaper, and our jobs are unlikely to be moved to China. Open immigration makes our service staff cheaper, but new, less-educated immigrants aren’t likely to put downward pressure on our wages.”

Free trade benefits capitalists. It allows APPLE to make phones in China and avoid much of the labor and environmental regulations they would face in the USA and gives them access to cheap labor. This allows just about everyone in America to afford a phone.

Open immigration benefits everyone from employers to consumers. With record low unemployment, immigrants are not causing Americans to be unemployed or wages to go down. 

David Brooks is just musing here. He suggests we should dumb ourselves down and be more tolerant of bigotry. This is not one of  his better articles.

I mean it’s just ridiculous how white people can’t even use the N word anymore and this gay marriage thing is like they are normal people now instead of freaks.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
“Are Trump supporters right that the indictments are just a political witch hunt? Of course not. As a card-carrying member of my class, I still basically trust the legal system and the neutral arbiters of justice. Trump is a monster in the way we’ve all been saying for years and deserves to go to prison”.

This is how Brooks ends his article. So what is his point?

The MAGA morons are falling behind, but it’s not because of the professional class. It’s their own stupidity.
Vegasgiants
Vegasgiants
-->
@Greyparrot
Hitler was very popular 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Vegasgiants
So are you. Coincidence? I think not!
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
What do non-smokers have in common other than that they don't smoke? Nothing.
Vegasgiants
Vegasgiants
-->
@Greyparrot
Yes that's it.  Lol
Best.Korea
Debates: 274
Best.Korea
-->
@Vegasgiants
I am scared due to being a vegetarian.
Hitler was a vegetarian. I am like Hitler in that sense. I dont want to be Hitler.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Best.Korea