The Trolley Problem & Bodily Autonomy

Author: Savant

Total: 25
Savant
Debates: 22
Savant
Scenario #1:
A trolley is on a track and on its way to hit five workers. Unfortunately, the people are too far away to hear you, so you cannot call to them. As it happens, someone has died, and you are transporting his body. If you throw the corpse on the track, the trolley will stop, but the body will be destroyed. Before he died, this person said not to let his corpse be harmed for any reason. Is it ethically permissible for you to throw his body onto the track?

Scenario #2:
You are a doctor who deals in organ transplants. A patient has died after adamantly refusing to become an organ donor. However, there is an organ shortage, and if you harvest his organs against his wishes, they can be used to save five people. Is it ethically permissible for you to do this?

I have a feeling that most people will answer yes to scenario 1 and no to scenario 2. In an attempt to reconcile these positions, we might turn to the doctrine of double effect, which holds that we should use people as an end but never as a mere means. But this does not effectively differentiate the two positions. In both scenarios, the dead body is being used as a means rather than an end.

Hence, I see 3 possible solutions:
1) Despite our intuitions, it is not morally permissible to throw the body onto the track.
2) Despite our intuitions, it is morally permissible to harvest the organs of the dead without consent.
3) There is some new moral framework that has not yet been developed, which reconciles the two positions.
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
The main standard of bodily autonomy is not to decrease bodily autonomy.
This solves the moral issue of both examples by lack of action.
For example, in scenario 2, it is permissible, but not mandatory action.
So you would not be wrong for doing or not doing it.

Not doing it would be okay because it is lack of action. Lack of action is not morally wrong and is not an action.

Doing it would be okay as it increases autonomy of multiple people.

So anyone having problem with doing it wouldnt have to do it.
cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
-->
@Savant
I say yes to both. As moral quandaries go, these aren’t that quandary-ish. The movie “Saving Private Ryan” presented the quandary of risking a whole platoon of soldiers to save the remaining son of a mother who had already lost her two older sons to the war. In contrast, the scenarios you pose are more akin to a platoon of soldiers being risked to recover a corpse!

My understanding of “the trolley problem” involves a decision between saving a trolley with an infant on board versus saving a trolley with a dozen adults on it.
Savant
Savant
-->
@cristo71
I bring it up because harvesting the organs of the dead without consent is illegal in most countries. So a lot of people would probably consider it a more difficult question, even though it's very straightforward from a consequentialist perspective, as you point out.
Critical-Tim
Debates: 3
Critical-Tim
-->
@Savant
It depends on what moral structure you have in mind. With a utilitarian moral structure, assuming the person has no family, it would be permissible to throw his corpse onto the track, and you would most certainly be obligated to harvest his organs. However, there are many alternative moral structures with many other parameters, including religious ones, so there is no definitive answer without more specifications.
hey-yo
Debates: 24
hey-yo
How, do you think, is autonomy influencing these scenarios? 

Whose autonomy are we considering? 

Body autonomy is usually applied to self interest or to support the idea that a person can do/use their body as they see fit. 

Bodily autonomy would apply to the person faced with the moral dilemma in each scenario. Which means we, as the ones who may throw a dead body onto the tracks or harvest body parts without consent, have our bodily autonomy questioned. 

So then, does bodily autonomy include someone else's body? Does it mean I can do what I like to another's body? 

If we are looking at the autonomy for the person who is deceased. And have now become a flying train stopper. Does bodily autonomy apply to someone who is dead? 

If not, I do not see how it can apply to the scenario or play any role in decision making. If yes, then we have an interesting conversation on hand. 

Personally I think each scenario is a moral dilemma because it questions what we ought to do or ought not to do. 

Scenario #1:
A trolley is on a track and on its way to hit five workers. Unfortunately, the people are too far away to hear me, so I cannot call to them. The trolley does have a person onboard to control it, and whom may break in time. Otherwise there is no guarantee the workers will be hit because they can hear the trolley or move in time.  

As for the deceased comrade I am transporting. Whom before he died, said not to let his corpse be harmed for any reason. 

I think I would be unethical to damage his body for sake of personal gain. At the same time, I find it unrealistic to follow suit with "do not let corpse be harmed for any reason" because the body will decay anyways. The ethical question: what is disrespectful & respectful towards deceased humans? 

I find it unethical to throw the body anywhere let alone on the tracks to cause derailment because we are also harming the people on the trolley. 

Scenario #2:
I am a doctor who deals in organ transplants. A patient has died after  refusing to become an organ donor. However, there is an organ shortage, and if I harvest his organs against his wishes, they can be used to save five people. Is it ethically permissible for me to do this?

No. The organs from donors usually cause some payment to the doctors and create conflict in interest for patients. There seems to be multiple reasons as to why a person "ought not do" or should not do. Personal gains are included. Even if that gain is not beneficial to me. 

The underlined question in each scenario should be, how ought we treat deceased humans. That seems to be the purpose behind the scenarios and post. To see how bodily autonomy influences our treatment of the dead. 

Savant
Savant
-->
@hey-yo
I'll clarify that no one is on the trolly in Scenario #1, though I don't think it would affect your answer.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
Trouble is, that scenario 1 is wholly hypothetical and improbable.

Whereas scenario 2, though hypothetical is feasible.

Therefore improbability and feasibility will dictate our moral appreciation of the two scenarios, in respect of social expectations and social justice.
Savant
Savant
-->
@zedvictor4
Trouble is, that scenario 1 is wholly hypothetical and improbable.
We can still have an answer for hypothetical scenarios. The probability of scenario 1 occurring has little to do with whether we should take action if it does occur.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Savant
Did you read the rest of my post?

Hypothetical or not......We will inevitably  view your two scenarios differently.

Because we are conditioned to do so.
Savant
Savant
-->
@zedvictor4
Hypothetical or not......We will inevitably  view your two scenarios differently.
Agree. The point of thought experiments is to determine whether our moral intuitions are flawed.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Savant
Fair enough.

Though I would suggest that morality is relative to predicament.

And the difficulty with hypothetical predicaments is that they have  no real comparison.

But I still maintain that, improbability and feasibility  will affect how we view your two hypotheticals.

I'm not sure that any real sense of morality, will enter into the experiment.

n8nrgim
Debates: 0
n8nrgim
-->
@Savant

i would say you should sacrifice the one for the greater good in both your examples. 

instead of looking for a loop hole to 'the ends doesn't justify the means', why not just scrap the ends means argument altogether? obviously we shouldn't do whatever we want to achieve good ends, but there is the concept of 'proportionalism', which says as long as the means are proportional to the ends, they are moral. i know there's less moral clarity when it comes to the details, but the moral framework is more workable. i can't find any hypotheticals that trip up the whole paradigm when it comes to proportionalism. 

Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
Kingdom of ends is a rather difficult moral standard to hold. Some decisions are such that not everyone is an end himself.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@zedvictor4
 I would suggest that morality is relative to predicament.
And the difficulty with hypothetical predicaments is that they have no real comparison.
While I understand your perspective, I believe that by understanding these hypothetical questions we can fill in the gaps of reality and gain a more comprehensive understanding of our morality.
hey-yo
hey-yo
-->
@Savant
I dont see how a trolley could operate on its own. Unless the operator died, creating the same scenario where no onle living is onboard. Coincides with "workers" on the tracks as well. A trolley with riders would not be on the same track being worked on. 
hey-yo
hey-yo
-->
@Critical-Tim
Th double layer of tricky is how people act. How we react is not always what is moral. Even the person who says throw the body or take the organs may in actuality do nothing in the moment. 
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@hey-yo
Whether humans act upon what is moral depends on what the person does and which moral structure we are referencing.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Critical-Tim
I'm not sure that we can fully understand the morality of an abstract idea, if there is no direct association with a real experience. 

We would be unemotionally detached from the hypothetical scenario and therefore free to make hypothetical judgements.

Judgements that would not  necessarily need to be representative of an innate sense of morality.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@zedvictor4
Again, it would depend on which moral structure you are referring to. I may be able to better understand your version of morality if you explain it.

Do you believe morality to be based on emotion, logic, a combination of both; or a metric such as health, money, or happiness?
Do you believe morality is based on the outcome, the action, or the intention?
Do you believe morality is judged by the present or does it include the future?
Do you believe that the morality of a situation is judged by the net value, or do you believe certain things are purely right, while others purely wrong?
Then finally, do you believe morality to be founded inherently based, such as a religious morality, or do you believe morality is a social construct with a purpose, such as promoting a more civil society?
hey-yo
hey-yo
-->
@Critical-Tim
Yeah ...we also have to include environment and situation. Unlike the other two, these factors are independent of an actor/agent - seperate from the person who is in a moral dellimma. 

Im thinking of things that trigger our fight, flight, freeze responses.  Some have absolutely no control over these responses. So it might not matter what moral structure someone follows or how they behave. Even the most strict individuals can waiver in unexpected situations. 
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@hey-yo
Yes, if an individual has no control over their physiological responses, then the moral structure they follow will not determine their actions.
IlDiavolo
Debates: 0
IlDiavolo
The first scenario doesn't make sense. I was looking for this dillemma on the web and the story is different than yours. Why is so?

We can discuss the second one, though. I say "yes" because of the Hippocratic Oath.
Savant
Savant
-->
@IlDiavolo
I was looking for this dillemma on the web and the story is different than yours.
I made up this version.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Savant
Here is how I would explain morality:
Morality is what is beneficial towards an entity, in a specific metric, considering a time frame, given an aspect,
Immorality is what is harmful towards an entity, in a specific metric, considering a time frame, given an aspect.

Here are the definitions.
The metric could be in terms of health, money, happiness, or something else.
The time frame could be in the immediate present (now), the sum of morality from now till a certain point in future, or the sum of morality from now till forever.
The aspect could be considered as consequentialist (based on outcome), deontological (based on action), or a virtue ethic (based on intention), or a combination of them.

Whether your situation would be morally acceptable or not would be dependent on what you choose to define your moral structure. Alternatively, you might be just asking our personal feelings?