How to Learn - Cultivating Epistemic Empowerment - The Tools of Reality

Author: Critical-Tim

Total: 18
Critical-Tim
Debates: 3
Critical-Tim
Description:
To learn is to gain a better understanding, but how exactly do we accomplish this? Many people believe repetition is key, but I believe this is only the steppingstone. In order to reach your goal you must have a well defined target in which you can aim your bow. Repetition may be great for strengthening your draw and increasing your accuracy but with no target your arrow flies aimlessly. In this section called how to learn I will work on defining a target in order to achieve understanding. Afterwards, I will go over some techniques on how to strengthen your effectiveness such as your aim and strength of your draw.

This marks the beginning of the utmost fundamental and essential concepts to grasp about the world, paving the way to empower your ability to tackle any question with confidence. If you believe a similar topic should be a part of this series, please feel free to address it and If I believe it truly is then I will consider it in as great a depth as I can for another forum of the series. This is meant to be an interactive educational forum to express what I believe to be one of the most necessary keys to understanding.

We will cover the following questions to get started:
What is the goal?
Where is the target for the goal?
How do I improve my aim and strength?

Coming soon on "Cultivating Epistemic Empowerment - The Tools of Reality":
Brief Description: Meant to equip you with the mental tools necessary to comprehend a complex world.
How to Think?
How to Debate?
How to Decide?
How to Simplify?

Looking forward to "Essential Foundations to Comprehensive Understanding - The Blueprint of Reality":
Brief Description: Meant to lay out the foundation concepts necessary to understand complex questions.
What is Reality?
What is Truth?
What is Understanding?
What is Morality?
What is God?

Final and unending series "Demystifying Philosophical Controversies - The Structure of Reality":
Brief Description: Meant to make sense of all commonly decided questions such as the morality of abortion and many others.
Is abortion ethical?
What is the ideal political structure?
How does religious text articulate reality?
What is the best way to live life?

Please help productively refine my understanding and others by using the following guidelines:
  • NUMBER 1: Please ask questions and only state a dispute with an example to improve my understanding, this forum is intended to educate with an interactive environment.
  • Be open-minded and curious. Do not dismiss or ignore answers that challenge your reality or beliefs. Try to embrace them as opportunities to learn and grow. Try to approach them with logical, critical, and professional minds, and seek to understand the evidence and reasoning behind them.
  • Be empathetic and respectful. Do not judge or ridicule other people’s perspectives or experiences. Try to comprehend their viewpoints and appreciate their contributions to the larger and more intricate reality. Try to see how different perspectives can form a more complex and complete picture of the world.
  • Be honest and responsible. Always prioritize speaking the truth and avoid making definitive claims when uncertain. Use qualifiers like "about," "I saw," "I think," or "I believe" to convey information accurately.
  • Be clear about the source of your knowledge when sharing with others. This fosters a truthful and respectful environment for discussions.
  • Be relevant and on-topic. Do not deviate from the main topic of the forum. Do not post irrelevant or off-topic comments and links that aren't productive to the questions being discussed.
  • Be constructive and creative. Do not simply criticize or reject other people’s ideas. Try to offer positive feedback, suggestions, or alternatives.
  • Be clear and concise. Try to use clear and accurate language as much as possible. To have effective communication it is necessary to speak understandably.

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
I believe that all knowledge is in one of two categories: concepts and answers. I believe that an answer is something that we can know to be true, while a concept is the reason behind why an answer is true. I believe that many people do not recognize this or understand the difference, and it is essential for them to acknowledge the greater utility in memorizing concepts instead of answers. An answer could be like three plus three, that is helpful for one thing only, what is three plus three. Meanwhile, the concept for why three plus three equals six would be how to add, and if one understands how to add they can answer an infinite number of mathematical problems. This demonstrates how understanding just one concept can be infinitely greater than an answer. Concepts are not limited to mathematics but extend throughout all of reality. An example would be “all plants need water”, it’s the answer that answers all similar questions. Does this plant need water? Yes, because all plants need water. What about this plant, does it need water? Yes, because all plants need water. You don’t need to memorize every single species of plant and remember that they need water in order to know they need water, all you need to know is the concept and then you can apply this to species of plants you don’t even know, just like the person who understands addition is able to answer addition problems he has never seen before. Another example would be “gravity pulls everything down”, you don’t need to memorize every single thing on the face of the earth to know that it’s going to be pulled down. You just need to understand the concept that gravity pulls everything down. Concepts are in everything around us, we just have to know how to look for them.

Additionally, I believe concepts are unique from answers in a way that they transcend entification. It's sort of a divine answer, the moment you try to represent it you fail because you cannot capture something that transcends form. If you tried to represent the number two, you would merely be showing me two rocks or two marbles, you could not truly demonstrate the concept of two. This is because the concept of two cannot be constrained to a system, it is something that is beyond any entity and is true for all things that consist of the pattern. On the other hand, you could represent a leaf to me by showing me a leaf, I could hold it I could see it and that would be a leaf. As you can see, answers can be shown and represented as an entity whereas concepts transcend the entity into a sort of divine knowledge that is conceptual and beyond form. Instead, the concept or divine knowledge is embodied in many different forms such as two marbles or two rocks, but it can never truly express itself to us without taking a physical form, which is why we can never actually see two as a concept.

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@zedvictor4
@Best.Korea
Here is the short read, but feel free to get more detail above: All knowledge can be categorized as conceptual or answers. Concepts are the reason behind an answer. By understanding concepts, we can know an infinite number of answers, such as the concept of two plus two being addition, we can now solve an infinite number of math problems. Meanwhile, the answer four is only helpful when asking two plus two. By recognizing this distinction, we can immediately know what knowledge is important to memorize.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
Is there a limit to human memory?

Or is the ability to externally record just as essential.

In fact, are external records a direct link to, or accurate proof of, an external reality.

Just a thought that occurred to me.

Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
-->
@Critical-Tim
So in a sense, concept is like grouping. If you know about a group of things, you know something about them all, since they all have in common what makes them a group, example plants.
It is also like explanation that applies beyond what it explains.

Concepts are, in my opinion,a better way of learning for many.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Best.Korea
That is the concise explanation, but it's crucial to keep in mind that concepts lack universal validation or confirmation beyond their experiential applications. For instance, consider an unprecedented, complex math problem that no computer has solved before – its solution remains theoretical until proven.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@zedvictor4
There is most certainly a limit to the human mind's ability to comprehend information, along with memorize it. I enjoy an external record because things that we do not use often become forgotten as the brain's priority structure intended.

If you're inquiring whether personally written documentation, which can be revisited later, serves as evidence for an objective reality, the answer is no. This is due to the fact that the act of reviewing those documents involves a subjective experience. In contrast, objectivity implies existence beyond personal perception. Consequently, demonstrating the existence of an objective reality becomes challenging since providing evidence involves documenting and experiencing it—both of which are subject to perception. As a result, it's difficult to establish that such evidence exists independently of our perceptions. However, I view the theory of objective reality as quite a practical concept to understanding reality, which is why it is one of the 12 traits, self-detachment.

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Best.Korea
Moving on to the subsequent aspect of this discussion, it's crucial to acknowledge the existence of diverse levels of concepts. These levels range from those that encompass broad dimensions of reality to those with narrower scopes. For instance, certain concepts possess theoretical and universal applicability, like mathematics. In contrast, there are concepts confined to specific domains, such as "everyone likes bacon," which pertains solely to my household.

Upon this recognition of varying concept levels, it becomes evident that prioritizing the most all-encompassing concepts is paramount. These concepts hold the greatest utility due to their broad relevance and impact. This is why we should be eager to seek out the most encompassing concepts and construct more encompassing concepts by compiling lesser ones.

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
The Six Concepts of Memory:
Prepare yourself for the science of memory and how to implement these techniques, I'll keep it concise.

1. Sensory Memory: All our senses, notably sight and hearing, serve as essential pathways for memory. Information that we perceive through these senses gets encoded and stored for later recall. For instance, the way we see a letter or hear its pronunciation helps in recalling information related to it. By leveraging both sight and hearing during memorization, we provide our brain with dual pathways to remember information, enhancing our ability to retain it over time. When learning new information, engage both your sight and hearing. For instance, when studying a letter, visualize its shape while pronouncing its sound. This dual approach creates stronger memory pathways.
  2. Pattern Recognition (Concepts): Our brain naturally gravitates toward recognizing patterns. This innate ability allows us to easily identify shapes, sounds, and sequences. When applied to memory, recognizing patterns in information aids in quicker recall. Songs, for instance, are often remembered easily due to the recurring patterns they contain. Recognizing patterns in various concepts creates mental shortcuts, making it easier to remember and retrieve information. Recognize patterns in your studies, just like you recognize shapes and sounds in the world. Apply this to concepts—find connections between new information and what you already know. These mental shortcuts make it easier to remember.
  3. Internal Memory Association: The brain's inclination for pattern recognition extends to identifying similarities and making associations between concepts. By linking new information to familiar patterns or existing knowledge, we create mental bridges that facilitate memory recall. Connect new concepts with familiar ones. For example, when learning new words, link them to words you know well. Creating mental associations helps your brain retrieve information more easily.
  4. Impact and Prioritization (Emotional Impact): Memories aren't treated equally in our minds. Emotional impact plays a pivotal role in determining which memories are prioritized. Events that evoke strong emotions, whether positive or negative, tend to stay in our memory longer. The intensity of emotion is closely tied to the perceived impact an event has on our future. For instance, we're more likely to vividly remember our birthday than a mundane daily activity, as birthdays have a significant emotional impact on our lives. Memories linked to strong emotions stick around. For important events like birthdays, the emotional impact influences memory. Associate emotions with what you're learning to enhance memory.
  5. Reinforcement and Erosion: Reinforcement and erosion are mechanisms that shape our memory retention. Memories that are frequently recalled and used are reinforced, becoming entrenched in our long-term memory. On the other hand, memories that aren't revisited often can fade away over time. This is why consistent refreshing of memories is crucial to prevent erosion. Memories, like memory foam, need to be pressed down repeatedly to maintain their shape. In this context, reinforcement involves revisiting information, strengthening the neural connections associated with it, while erosion occurs when connections weaken due to disuse. Memories you use often get stronger, while unused ones can fade. Keep memories fresh by revisiting them consistently. It's like pressing memory foam to maintain its shape.
  6. Utilizing Desire and Pressure: Motivation and pressure are two driving forces for effective memory retention. Striking the right balance is key; excessive pressure can lead to anxiety, hindering focus and memory recall. Combining the duality of impact, both positive and negative, can create a potent motivator. For example, associating success with rewards and failure with consequences can create a balanced motivational framework. It's vital to find a level of challenge that pushes us without overwhelming us, as too much pressure can hinder our ability to concentrate effectively. Find motivation and balance. Create positive and negative associations with success and failure. Use this balanced motivation to drive effective learning, avoiding excessive pressure that might hinder your focus.

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Critical-Tim
Since there is a limited amount of knowledge human can learn, which knowledge is most important to begin with? Would it be different from current system at schools?
Also, individuals have different interests. Many like poems and debating. Would it be good to start with what people already like? Or should people learn to like that which they dont?
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Best.Korea
Some of these techniques are implemented in school, but I believe it's less strategic and more coincidental. I also believe that children should pursue what they like, but only if in a way that is beneficial to their future. If someone likes to cook prepare them to be a baker, if someone likes math prepare them to be an accountant or physicist. It is in this way that these children are more than likely to excel.

It's also important to consider that they are not fully developed and many of their views change however their most fundamental traits remain consistent even at a young age till full development. For myself, my views have changed from physicist to accountant to programmer to data scientist as of now. However, the commonality is I have always loved math and problem solving, and I have been this way since a very young age. I believe it's important that people pursue what they love because it increases the likelihood of their success because they have passion, but it should only be in a means that is beneficial towards their future such as a career.

I think it's also important that children get exposure to new things. if someone wants to become a baker they should learn a bit of math, physics, and about everything else. This way they can learn to like new things, possibly as they discover the world that they have yet to explore. I believe that it should be sort of like majoring in college, but in traditional schooling. in essence, I believe it would be most effective if students, of the 5th grade, could start to major in what they have a passion for. Meanwhile passively working in the other subjects, rather than the equivalent balance being implemented currently. The likelihood that students will pursue a direction different than their passion as a child is highly unlikely and would only occur due to a significant impact that changed their life's direction, so all the work that's put into educating them into many different fields preparing them to excel in whichever direction is mostly a waste of their time.

I believe the most effective schooling system would be to study students from as young as 1st to the 5th grade. Following this they can have personalized training programs that recognize students' passions and ability to be creative along with analytical thinking and other factors, rather than treating them all as equals in every field. Following this they could be strategically trained to major in the category that they are most likely to succeed, being their passion, while passively studying in the alternatives so that in the event they change their passion from a significant life event It would be less of a difficulty to change their major. This would waste less time for students giving them more time to excel in their passions creating more effective professionals in the field and less unhappiness directed towards the schooling system from minors. I believe it to be better in every aspect, and it's feasible.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Best.Korea
I believe the only negative feedback having thought this through more would be parents dissatisfied with the direction that the students are naturally desiring to pursue due to the differences in annual salaries and job types. However, I believe the overall happiness of the students into their adulthood would be greater overall, along with their success. I believe we would have a significant decrease in college dropouts, since this is evidence that their direction of pursuit has been altered and possibly by realizing what their parents have always pushed them towards wasn't what they really want to do with their lives. Perhaps up to that point they thought it would be worth the finances until the moment came in college where they realized they hated doing the same thing every day and that they could never live with a job related to the schooling there pursuing and then they end up becoming a pet groomer because they realized they have always had a passion for animals. Whereas, if they had been recognized in the schooling system prior, they could have been directed towards becoming a veterinarian with a higher annual salary rather than wasting all their financial resources on college towards a direction that they end up not pursuing. I believe this to be a primary example of the negative consequences of the current schooling system in relation to my ideal.

I hadn't thought about it till this point, but I believe I could develop a much more accurate description of the ideal schooling system. I also believe that if one wants to develop something as complicated as a new political structure, developing a new school system would be a start. Children are never taught how to learn they're just told what to memorize and it's a sink or swim environment. Many things would change for the better with Implementing not only the personalized target schooling but also these foundational philosophical principles listed in my three series. If students were taught How to fear ignorance and desire knowledge along with the 12 traits and how to learn along with what is to follow, I cannot fathom how much the future generation would change in a direction that is more competent, financially secure, passionate about their work, and mentally stable as a result of their pursuit aligning with their subconscious passions.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Critical-Tim
Yep.

That's always the problem.

It was just the process I was considering.

Internal data, output and recorded.....Recorded data input, assessed and confirmed.

Which as best as it can, suggests that sensory input matches external object.

An unverifiable process though.

Until such times as we download and review thoughts.

Putting faith in technology rather than in human experiences.

Seems to be where we are heading.

Just rambling.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
It's crucial to recognize the usefulness of both concepts and answers. Concepts possess the advantage of being versatile tools that can lead to answers, albeit with some time investment. On the other hand, answers provide immediate solutions without the need for solving but are only applicable in specific scenarios. It's clear that memorizing concepts enhances overall knowledge accumulation over time. Yet, for situations requiring quick solutions or frequent solving, memorizing specific answers proves to be beneficial, remembering it is always important to memorize the concept.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
I have worked quite a time to refine everything above related to concepts into the following.
This is meant to be a precise and concise recap:

All knowledge can be classified as concepts or solutions.Concepts are the framework that establish a solution’s validity. Solutionsprovides an immediate solution, but it is only applicable to a single question;meanwhile concepts can solve numerous questions, but it takes time to reach thesolution. Concepts are superior to solutions in cultivating a comprehensiveunderstanding of reality due to their simple yet encompassing nature, but it isoften time efficient to also memorize the solution to repeat questions becauseit saves time solving, such as times tables.

There is a utility hierarchy among concepts, which isdetermined by the breadth they encompass reality. This is because a concept’sbreadth is proportional to its applicability, making some more useful thanothers. For example, the concept “gravity pulls everything together” can solvea near infinite number of questions, relative to “all people drink water,”which can only be used about seven billion times.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
This is meant to be the distilled version of techniques from the original six concepts of memory.

The Five Keys to Memory:
  1. Sensory Memory: Our senses, notably sight and hearing for academic purposes, serve as pathways for memory. We can improve memory by leveraging both sight and hearing during memorization, increasing the number of pathways to recall.
  2. Pattern Recognition (Concepts): Our brain easily memorizes patterns and identifies them in the form of shapes, sounds, and sequences.
  3. Existing Memory Association: We can associate patterns in new information with existing information to form a mental bridge. This anchors the new knowledge with rigid memory pathways.
  4. Desire and Pressure: Memories are prioritized by their emotional impact, which is their perceived impact on our future-self, and they may exist as desire or pressure. We can combine the two by determining the consequences of both success and failure, but remember excess pressure causes the brain to become distracted by potential failure.
  5. Reinforcement and Erosion: Recalling memories reinforce them, strengthening their neural connections, while unused memories erode, eventually becoming forgotten.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Critical-Tim
I also believe that if one wants to develop something as complicated as a new political structure, developing a new school system would be a start. Children are never taught how to learn they're just told what to memorize and it's a sink or swim environment. Many things would change for the better with Implementing not only the personalized target schooling but also these foundational philosophical principles listed in my three series. If students were taught How to fear ignorance and desire knowledge along with the 12 traits and how to learn along with what is to follow, I cannot fathom how much the future generation would change in a direction that is more competent, financially secure, passionate about their work, and mentally stable as a result of their pursuit aligning with their subconscious passions.
From my point of view, each person wants something. Learning about things you want is much easier than learning about things that dont interest you. An interesting book is easily remembered. However, when a book is boring, you will forget it all, even the title.
Also, I believe AI is the future of learning. Human teachers are simply incapable to adjust to needs of one student. In the future, each student will have own personal AI teacher and schools as we know it will get abolished.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Best.Korea
Even more than having a personal AI, it would be specifically adjusted to meet their intellect and personality type to maximize their ability to learn. I agree, human teachers are not as capable of communicating to a diverse audience and their independent needs.