I got back to playing Yugioh - after years of not playing - I am kinda impressed

Author: Best.Korea

Total: 7
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
For years, I held the position that Konami was just money grabbing corporation that cares not for balance in the game.

And for years, that was true. We had top decks that were so beyond other  decks that winning duel was impossible with those.

It was: you either play meta or you mostly lose. But there was a problem with that too. Konami releases new meta, bans former.

Even when playing online, every 6 months you had to build new meta decks from nothing. If you play in real life, that can cost 1000$.

So it was mostly repetitive pattern where non-meta decks played no role in the game. They might have as well been thrown out.

I quit playing and didnt really care anymore about Yugioh. It became dead game with no diversity and no fun duels.

Years past from that, and I decided to come back and check whats new in Yugioh today. Of course, meta still holds all advantage.

But one thing changed. New cards got released that can actually put meta in its place. To me, it came as a suprise.

I looked at new cards released:

1. Nibiru The Primal being
Card that basically ends opponent's entire field.

2. Dark Ruler No More
Great card to counter strong meta monsters.

3. Alpha the master of beasts
Almost free 3000 atk monster that can take out 1 opponent's monster for free 

Combine these with Lava Golem and winged dragon of Ra sphere mode, you basically get almost perfect anti-meta set.

For those unfamilliar with Yugioh, meta are basically top decks that summon lots of monsters to overwhelm opponent. They are very consistent in getting good hands.

I noticed that ban list changed too. With Change of Heart being unbanned, with Raigeki being at 3, with all those hand traps, Kaiju, Solemn...

I feel it gives non-meta decks more chance than they had before. It ended the seemingly endless rule of meta spam.

Of course, meta decks still are top decks, but their win ratio is no longer as high against regular decks. So Konami is on the good path.
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
Duel-links or duel masters?
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
-->
@Reece101
Oh I play on Dueling Nexus.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Best.Korea
I had Pokémon cards as a kid,
Hm, before middle school I think,
Not sure what happened to my cards,
I think I'll just assign blame to my Dad for their disappearance.

Never got 'really into it,
Cards were fun looking though,
I liked having a Pikachu.

Having cool 'looking cards, or themed decks sounds fun,
Maybe I'd be about the meta, if I got into playing the card games though.
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
-->
@Lemming
as a kid my sister found a briefcase on the side of the road with the lock being all zeros. I was like cool, i could put my cards in them. I had like a thousand. They can be a good investment like baseball cards.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Reece101
They can,
Some cards are obscenely valuable,
Weird market,
Depending a lot on whether people 'attribute value to an item.

104 days later

hey-yo
Debates: 24
hey-yo
There was an online version available for free. They have many game options to play so its not just the curent version but speed play and older versions.