Anti-racism writer Richard Wright

Author: Best.Korea

Total: 6
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
"Our too-young and too-new America, lusty because it is lonely, aggressive because it is afraid, insists upon seeing the world in terms of good and bad, the holy and the evil, the high and the low, the white and the black; our America is frightened of fact, of history, of processes, of necessity. It hugs the easy way of damning those whom it cannot understand, of excluding those who look different, and it salves its conscience with a self-draped cloak of righteousness."

"Violence is a personal necessity for the oppressed...It is not a strategy consciously devised. It is the deep, instinctive expression of a human being denied individuality."

"But the color of a Negro's skin makes him easily recognizable, makes him suspect, converts him into a defenseless target."

"Goddamnit, look! We live here and they live there. We black and they white. They got things and we ain't. They do things and we can't. It's just like livin' in jail."

"We had our own civilization in Africa before we were captured and carried off to this land. We smelted iron, danced, made music and folk poems; we sculpted, worked in glass, spun cotton and wool, wove baskets and cloth. We invented a medium of exchange, mined silver and gold, made pottery and cutlery, we fashioned tools and utensils of brass, bronze, ivory, quartz, and granite. We had our own literature, our own systems of law, religion, medicine, science, and education."

"At the age of twelve I had an attitude toward life that was to endure, that was to make me seek those areas of living that would keep it alive, that was to make me skeptical of everything while seeking everything, tolerant of all and yet critical. The spirit I had caught gave me insight into the sufferings of others, made me gravitate toward those whose feelings were like my own, made me sit for hours while others told me of their lives, made me strangely tender and cruel, violent and peaceful.
It made me want to drive coldly to the heart of every question and it open to the core of suffering I knew I would find there. It made me love burrowing into psychology, into realistic and naturalistic fiction and art, into those whirlpools of politics that had the power to claim the whole of men's souls. It directed my loyalties to the side of men in rebellion; it made me love talk that sought answers to questions that could help nobody, that could only keep alive in me that enthralling sense of wonder and awe in the face of the drama of human feeling which is hidden by the external drama of life."

"The impulse to dream was slowly beaten out of me by experience. Now it surged up again and I hungered for books, new ways of looking and seeing."

"Men simply copied the realities of their hearts when they built prisons."

"Every time I get to thinking about me being black and they being white, me being here and they being there, I feel like something awful’s going to happen to me."

"They felt they had you fenced off so that you could not do what you did. Now they’re mad because deep down in them they believe that they made you do it. When people feel that way, you can’t reason with ‘em."

"No; he did not think they would suspect him of anything. He was black. Again he felt the roll of crisp bills in his pocket; if things went wrong he could always run away. He wondered how much money was in the roll; he had not even counted it. He would see when he got to Bessie’s. No; he need not be afraid. He felt the gun nestling close to his skin. That gun could always make folks stand away and think twice before bothering him."

"Although he could not put it into words, he knew not only had they resolved to put him to death, but they were determined to make his death mean more than a mere punishment; that they regarded him as a figment of that black world which they feared and were anxious to keep under control."

"To Bigger and his kind, white people were not really people; they were a sort of great natural force, like a stormy sky looming overhead or like a deep swirling river stretching suddenly at one’s feet in the dark."
TWS1405_2
Debates: 4
TWS1405_2
What is the argument here?

What is the topic for debate/discussion?

Cut n pasting a bunch of stuff with no purpose is a waste of time and space on a debate website forum intended for debate/discussion on a proposed topic/subject matter.

69 days later

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@mrseo
Thanks.
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
I was about to dismiss this guy until I discovered that he died in 1960. In his generation his words were very relevant. There's no denying that.

Unfortunately our professional wolf-callers never learned how to turn their siren songs off after the last wolf retreated into the brush, scared off for good. And why would they? It's their livelihood and quite the lucrative one at that.
The official numbers show time and time again that black-on-white violence is BY FAR more common than white-on-black violence, and a few terrorist incidents don't change that. Indeed, a fair definition would consider a black guy who indiscriminately mugs and murders a white guy no less of a terrorist than Dylann Roof, albeit with a smaller kill count.
Which is to say that white supremacy is overwhelmingly a manufactured problem nowadays. It's at least as common for blacks to hate whites as the other way around. Unfortunately there's just too much money and power to be had in keeping blacks afraid and resentful.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Swagnarok
MAGA thinks racism doesnt exist lol
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Best.Korea
Internal discrimination is a key survival strategy.

Outward actions ensue relative to circumstance.