Carrots, potatoes, peas and berries - easiest plants to grow that require no effort

Author: Best.Korea

Total: 6
Best.Korea
Debates: 270
Best.Korea
Okay, so this year I started gardening on a larger scale than before.

Of course, I wanted to know just how much I can get away with not doing and still grow food.

I never use any chemicals in the garden. However, this year I also skipped on weeding, hoeing, watering... so yes, I was a very lazy gardener.

All I did was 

1. Till the soil

2. Drag a line and sow seeds in lines, also known as rows.

3. Walk between rows in garden to step on weeds between plants, in an effort to supress weeds in an extremely lazy way.

4. Add some granual fertilizer

So which plants did best for lazy gardener?

Carrots

Carrots dont seem to care about anything. Not even about spacing. If you plant them too close, you will have lots of small carrots, and if you plant in proper spacing you will have larger carrots but fewer in number. 
I didnt do any weeding around carrots, and carrots didnt seem to be bothered by weeds around them.

Overall, I had lots of carrots without using much effort.

What I like about carrots is that their seeds are cheap, there is lots of them and they germinate very well.

Also, I never had any problem with pests when it comes to carrots. At most, few carrots get eaten by something and thats all.

Whats also good about carrots is that you can have them for the whole year. You dont need a fridge. Just keep them in soil and pick when you need. Same goes for most of the root vegetables.

Potatoes

Okay, potatoes can grow anywhere. Its not even a challenge to grow them.

Peas

I generally dislike peas, but I was amazed to find out that they dont require weeding.

You can eat them after you pick them, or you can let them dry and then they turn into seeds which can be cooked as soup.

Of course, the hardest thing about peas is picking and unshelling them.

Berries

Raspberries pretty much grow and spread on their own. They are one of those "plant and forget" plants.

Of course, raspberries have some other problems.

They are even harder to pick than peas.

They spoil quickly unless you put them in fridge or dry them.

Trees

So after planting a few hazelnut and walnut trees, they seem to be growing very well on their own.

I guess planting nuts or apples is best, since they can last a long time without spoiling.

You really dont want to grow lots of food that spoils quickly unless you have a large fridge or plan to sell it quickly.

Some plants completely failed

Some plants like spinach didnt grow well at all. Something ate them. I am guessing slugs or grasshoppers.

Corn had a bit success, but it was very poor compared to corn that was well cared for.

So, what are the main tips for a garden?

I can think of some tips that every gardener must know.

1. Plant as early as possible

Probably the most important tip of all. The sooner you plant in a year, the more time the plant has to grow.

Also, pests are less of a problem if you plant earlier, since pests appear later in year.

Now, some plants can be planted earlier than others. Some plants are very sensitive to frosts and some are not.

2. Plant in rows (lines)

Okay, most of the gardeners plant in rows. This is because it makes caring for the plants much easier than if plants were planted at random.
Tasks like weeding, hoeing, picking... become much easier when you have rows.

Also, plants seem to grow better in rows.

3. Figure out what plant works best for your area

Plant lots of different vegetables and see which works best. Not all soils are good for all vegetables.

4. Watch out for spacing

Every plant has ideal spacing between rows.
Also, every plant has ideal spacing between individual plants in one row.

5. Use granual fertilizer or manure

Much better than liquid fertilizer. Less work. 
Apply fertilizer when plants begin to grow.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW

And the Global Humanitarian Award goes to..........................Best.Korea !!!
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Best.Korea
Sound advice.

15 days later

FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@zedvictor4

Carrots, potatoes, peas and berries are not going to attract women to this site.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@FLRW
True dat.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@FLRW
@Best.Korea