John the Baptist- the "greatest" what?

Author: Stephen

Total: 20
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
Is it just an unfounded assertion of Christians and the Church  that John the Baptist was a  prophet?  

Is there anything at all in scripture that suggest he was a Prophet?   . In fact, if the story of John is to be at all believed, even in part, we can read that John himself had flat out denied he was a Prophet. Why would he make his denial if there was no truth to it?
Didn't John the Baptist know he was a prophet? 

Best.Korea
Debates: 270
Best.Korea
John was cool tho. He was my favorite character in the book.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Best.Korea
But was he a prophet as Christians and the Chrisman Church preach and will have us believe? 
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Stephen
Probably. I dont know.
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@Stephen
it is odd that you have such hang ups on the intricacies of the bible. either you are excessively worried about a fiction book, or you harbor some sympathies to it being something that is worthy of concerning yourself. at least, that's what it looks like to me. you might want to honestly reflect on that. 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@n8nrgim
it is odd that you have such hang ups on the intricacies of the bible. either you are excessively worried about a fiction book, or you harbor some sympathies to it being something that is worthy of concerning yourself. at least, that's what it looks like to me. you might want to honestly reflect on that. 

Never mind ME!
It is irrelevant what it is you think and believe about me.  It is a genuine inquiry concerning a genuine Christian anomaly. 
Try answering the questions posed.
So, can you answer any part of my four part inquiry?  

Try parts: (1) & (2)  Is it just an unfounded assertion of Christians and the Church  that John the Baptist was a  prophet?   (2)Is there anything at all in scripture that suggest he was a Prophet?

Or simply do not respond at all. And leave the thread.

it is odd that you have such hang ups on the intricacies of the bible

I don't have any "hang up's". I research, question and study the bible. It is an extremely interesting book. You being the believing Christian, should have no problem answering my questions. Or the opportunity to debunk anything I have written.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@n8nrgim
The problem is that there are no Christians left on the site to seriously argue with him.

Two opposites, but cant exist without each other. 
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@n8nrgim
That's not it, it's way too personal and obsessive for that, this is about a person.  There is a Christian he is deeply angry with but it's someone he is afraid to address directly, this is his way of being naughty, he's "acting out".
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@n8nrgim
@Sidewalker
Sidewalker wrote @n8nrgim:  That's not it, it's way too personal and obsessive for that, this is about a person.  There is a Christian he is deeply angry with but it's someone he is afraid to address directly.

If I am not constrained by C of C rules and I knew who you were referring to, I would most certainly address "directly" the "person" it is you have in mind but appear too afraid to mention as I have all posters on this, my thread.
So when you're ready.
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@n8nrgim
@Sidewalker
Please refrain from derailing this thread by trying to place attentions elsewhere. The OP posted a thread with a specific subject. If you don’t intend to engage on that, you can always post elsewhere.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
So how did these Prophet guys make a living.

Were they paid by GOD.

Or was prophecy just a hobby.

One assumes that in typical style, there were women scurrying around in the background, actually doing all the necessary stuff.

So John was paid to do the water stuff, and perhaps preferred ornithology.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4
So how did these Prophet guys make a living.

Were they paid by GOD.

I suppose they considered they were, Vic.  One tenth of annual produce or earnings, formerly taken as a tax for the support of the Church and Clergy such as Pastors , Chaplains and Priests. Or it could be a case of a misspelling of the word -  profit? There again the bible does say that John the Baptists had lived only on "locusts and honey" all his life.

Leviticus 27:30 where it says “A tenth of the produce of the land, whether grain or fruit, is the Lord's, and is holy.” And Proverbs 3:9  says, “Honour the Lord with your wealth, with the first fruits of all your crops.”..........  And steal the odd grieving  widows home from underneath her. John 3:16

I wonder did "the Lord" himself actually ever get to sniff a single mite donated by the widows? Mark 12:42-44KJV
Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@whiteflame
Please refrain from derailing this thread by trying to place attentions elsewhere. The OP posted a thread with a specific subject. If you don’t intend to engage on that, you can always post elsewhere.
Please help me understand this "derailing the thread" idea that it is so popular to whine about here.

Where is it mentioned in the so called "C of C rules"

Obviously, the agenda is to control the conversation and suppress the free exchange of ideas and opinions, but how exactly are the kinds of questions that can be asked and the kinds of answers that can be given determined?  

Why is this applied so selectively, what are the protected agendas?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Sidewalker
Obviously, the agenda is to control the conversation and suppress the free exchange of ideas and opinions,

Not at all.  It is simply required that you stay on topic. You have not at all attempted to express or exchanged any ideas or opinions of the topic matter, have you?

but how exactly are the kinds of questions that can be asked 

But you haven't asked any questions have you? You have gone right for the throat of the author and not the throat of the argument or whole point of the thread.

I have even addressed something that you have raised with another member on this thread that  had absolutely nothing to do with the topic but was kind enough to address you anyway. But then what did you do?,  you ignored it and have now started a dispute with a moderator! <<<<<<This is something you should have done in a PM as not to further derail this topic. 

Would you like to have another go Sidewalker ?

Here you are, note the underlined.:

Sidewalker wrote @n8nrgim:  That's not it, it's way too personal and obsessive for that, this is about a person.  There is a Christian he is deeply angry with but it's someone he is afraid to address directly.

If I am not constrained by C of C rules and I knew who you were referring to, I would most certainly address "directly" the "person" it is you have in mind but you appear far too afraid to mention, as I have all posters on this, my thread.

So when you're ready.

Sidewalker
Sidewalker
Obviously, the agenda is to control the conversation and suppress the free exchange of ideas and opinions,

Not at all.  It is simply required that you stay on topic. You have not at all attempted to express or exchanged any ideas or opinions of the topic matter, have you?
What you are whining about here is that I gavemy opinion, try to pay attention. 

but how exactly are the kinds of questions that can be asked 

But you haven't asked any questions have you?
Go back and read it again, slowly for comprehension this time.  You will see that White Flame referenced two posters in his response to your whine, n8nrgim asked a question, and then I responded to the question, hence “the kinds of questions that can be asked and the kinds of answers that can be given”.  

By the way, the full sentence that you extracted your quote from was “Obviously, the agenda is to control the conversation and suppress the free exchange of ideas and opinions, but how exactly are the kinds of questions that can be asked and the kinds of answers that can be given determined?”  Note the punctuation mark at the end of that sentence, they call that a question mark, when you see one of those at the end of a sentence, that sentence is a question.  So yes, I have asked a question, please try to pay attention.

I have even addressed something that you have raised with another member on this thread that  had absolutely nothing to do with the topic but was kind enough to address you anyway. But then what did you do?,  you ignored it and have now started a dispute with a moderator! <<<<<<
LOL, my my, how dramatic, "dispute" huh, try reading again, I asked for the moderator for clarification, but hey, calling it a dispute is much more dramatic, I’m sure you think that furthers your agenda somehow, and maybe it does, I still haven’t gotten the requested clarification as to how your game is played,  I guess we’ll just have to see if "dispute" scores with the moderators.

My request for clarification is valid, I see you and Brother D constantly derailing threads, Critical Tim asked you again and again to stop turning his Buddhism thread into a bashing Christians thread and you simply ignored him, the moderators seem to be OK with you and Brother D derailing threads all day long.  So I am trying to understand why the same posters who derail threads are allowed to determine what questions and answers are allowed in their own threads.  The question is why is this applied so selectively, why is it you can control the conversation and pick what ideas and opinions are allowed, and Critical Tim cannot?  Is it that certain agendas are protected, and others are not? 

If I am expected to comply with the moderators wishes, I need to know how the moderators apply these “rules”, apparently, you can control conversations and Critical Tim can’t, it would help if the mods would tell us who the privileged posters are, or at least which agendas are protected, and which ones aren’t.

This is something you should have done in a PM as not to further derail this topic. 
Neither you or themod used a PM, am I to understand that you make the rules about what can bediscussed AND how it can be discussed?  How exactly do we get granted that authority? 

If I am not constrained by C of C rules and I knew who you were referring toI would most certainly address "directly" the "person" it is you have in mind but you appear far too afraid to mention, as I have all posters on this, my thread.

So when you're ready.
What exactly are you waiting for?  n8nrgim asked a question, I answeredit, you whined about it, Whiteflame did what you wanted, the end…what am Isupposed to be getting ready for? 

Since you get to control the conversation, you certainly needto be more specific about what the responses need to be.   
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Sidewalker
 n8nrgim asked a question, 
 There is no question addressed to me from  n8nrgim   at all. and there is no question addressed to you either. So there is nothing to answer. I did though, address his comments directed to me. HERE>#6.   So stop lying. AND DERAILING MY THREAD FURTHER!!

If I am not constrained by C of C rules and I knew who you were referring toI would most certainly address "directly" the "person" it is you have in mind but you appear far too afraid to mention, as I have all posters on this, my thread.

What exactly are you waiting for?

I am waiting for you to tell me who  the "Christian person " is that you believe I am "afraid to address"?  that you speak of HERE> #8

If you haven't the balls to spit it out and name this certain "Christian person" I would like you to kindly leave my thread. Or you could try addressing the topic . 

And stop being sneaky and cowardly by not tagging me when you are responding  to me directly. 

p.s. I haven't "whined" to anyone. It's all in your mind.

Sidewalker
Sidewalker
And stop being sneaky and cowardly by not tagging me when you are responding  to me directly. 
Still pretending you don't have me blocked, at least you are consistently dishonest.

But this way you can call me sneaky and cowardly, oh, you so clever.
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@Sidewalker
Please help me understand this "derailing the thread" idea that it is so popular to whine about here.
I would say when you're actively trying to shift the focus of discussion to the poster themselves, that's changing the subject of the thread, or derailing it.

Where is it mentioned in the so called "C of C rules"
I didn't mention the CoC. There are portions of it that do apply to derailing, but they apply to persistent efforts to pursue grudges. I'm not assuming this is a grudge, and I haven't looked back into previous conversations between you two to determine that this is a pattern of behavior that constitutes harassment, but I'd prefer it not turn into that. Hence the "please."

Obviously, the agenda is to control the conversation and suppress the free exchange of ideas and opinions, but how exactly are the kinds of questions that can be asked and the kinds of answers that can be given determined?  
That's pretty clearly not what I'm trying to do, since my point was that this could be done in a separate thread more relevant to the conversation you're trying to have.

Why is this applied so selectively, what are the protected agendas?
Because I'm not constantly perusing the forums looking for instances where this is occurring. If there are other examples to report, I'll be happy to take a look at them. It's not an effort to protect any agenda.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Stephen
Not so many of these Prophet types seem to have been farmers though. 

10% of nothing ain't a lot.

So conmen who defrauded elderly women, is about the strength of it.

And Mr Omni...What is Mr Omni doing sniffing widows?

Unmarried virgins is Mr Omni's bag.

And so J the B was the greatest insectivore then.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4
Not so many of these Prophet types seem to have been farmers though. 

The so called prophets usually came from rich families with rich and influential friends in high and low places.. They leached off of the hard labour of their slave workers & peasants. They put the fear of god and the devil into them so the would cough up their last penny, or  "widow's last mite". And not a lot changed for millennia. I have sat in a church where there were only four parishioners, old they were, this didn't stop the plate being passed around.

So conmen who defrauded elderly women, is about the strength of it.

So says the bible. "Yet they shamelessly cheat widows out of their property and then pretend to be pious by making long prayers in public." according to Luke.

And so J the B was the greatest insectivore then.

Who knows? It may have been the caviar of the day, Vic? Still. One has to wonder how he survived all those battles for and against Herod (if I remember right) on such a diet. 

Still. It appears - as I my self prophesised -  that no one will to want to leap to the defence of  the so called  prophet, John the Baptist.