(IFF) Deism is true (THEN) what?

Author: 3RU7AL

Total: 178
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Not sure what the big deal would be if it is. Doesn't negate the gods that exist now. 

Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Doesn't negate the gods that exist now. 

What "gods" are those, and where do they exist?
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
All of them. 

Hard polytheism: the belief that gods are distinct, separate, real divine beings, rather than archetypes or personifications of natural forces. Hard polytheists reject the idea that "all gods are one god."

Omnism: all religions contain truths, but that no one religion offers all that is truth.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
the belief that gods are distinct, separate, real divine beings, rather than archetypes or personifications of natural forces.

Ok, but you have called them "beings".  A being is the  nature or essence of a person. You then make it clear that they are NOT personifications of nature/natural forces.  

So, where do these  "beings" that you have called "gods" exist?

3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Not sure what the big deal would be if it is. Doesn't negate the gods that exist now. 
Atheism doesn't "negate the gods" either, simply not being convinced is not itself evidence of non-existence.

Deism is a bridge that atheists should be able to cross because Deism is functionally identical to atheism.

Deism moves the conversation forward to the good bit, "which gods are the most believable?"
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Hard polytheism: the belief that gods are distinct, separate, real [please define what you mean by "real"] divine beings, rather than archetypes or personifications of natural forces. Hard polytheists reject the idea that "all gods are one god." [but did they possibly all come from the same source?]

Omnism: all religions [excluding animism and pantheism?] contain [unverifiable, unfalsifiable] truths, but that no one religion [except Omnism and Syncretism] offers all that is [unverifiable, unfalsifiable] truth.
This sounds interesting.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@3RU7AL
My dad is a deist. He believes "god" died when the universe began. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
My dad is a deist. He believes "god" died when the universe began. 

Deism is the belief that God created the universe, but does not interact with it.
I'd say a Deistic being "created" the universe with perfect planning and perfect execution so no further ad-hoc modification would be needed.

perfect "god" is incapable of making "mistakes" that need to be "cleaned up" like Noah's flood and Sodom and Gomorrah (what a horrific mess!!).

Naturally this denies the incarnation. It also denies God's omnipresence.
Actually "god's" omnipresence (in a Deistic framework) is a logical necessity.  A Deistic being would necessarily "create" the universe out of itself and within itself.

It's probably a dualistic heresy.
Substance dualism is logically incoherent.

Deism is monism.
I would like to point out that it would be, not only an anthropomorphic fallacy to say "god died" (or even "lived"), but also, and more importantly, (the implication that god does not exist is) a logically impossible conclusion.  (IFF) god = big bang (AND) big bang = the sum total of all possible energy in existence (THEN) the big bang still exists today, it is still happening, and everyone and everything is part of it (THEREFORE) because energy exists, god necessarily exists (at least ontologically based on the axioms presented, which approximate Spinoza's proof, Ordine Geometrico Demonstrata).
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
But the real question is, who has the best god?

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@3RU7AL
I can't see that to comment right now. 

Omnism: all religions [excluding animism and pantheism?] contain [unverifiable, unfalsifiable] truths, but that no one religion [except Omnism and Syncretism]offers all that is [unverifiable, unfalsifiable] truth.

Animism is more of a belief system than a religion but I am an animist so yes I believe it is legit. You don't need a god in animism. Yes Pantheism, Jainism, Buddhism, Satanism or any non god practice would be legit if for no other reason self discovery while keeping yourself in perspective of the universe and eternity. 

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Animism is more of a belief system than a religion but I am an animist so yes I believe it is legit. You don't need a god in animism. Yes Pantheism, Jainism, Buddhism, Satanism or any non god practice would be legit if for no other reason self discovery while keeping yourself in perspective of the universe and eternity. 
Ok, that sounds fun.  Can I join a local chapter?
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
The Truth certainly makes a better God than these vain imaginings and false gods.

There is one True God.

Why compromise?

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
The Truth certainly makes a better God than these vain imaginings and false gods.
I'd just change that ever so slightly:

"The truth certainly makes a better god than these vain imaginings and false gods."

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
The Truth certainly makes a better God than these vain imaginings and false gods.There is one True God.Why compromise?
(IFF) "NTURTTGgTS" (Noumenon, The Ultimate Reality, The Truth, [G]god, The Source) is true (a logical necessity) (THEN) what?

The "NTURTTGgTS" does not tell us how to act.  It cannot tell you right from wrong.  It has absolutely no explanatory power.

The "NTURTTGgTS" sounds like it would be a very boring companion.  These other gods seem like oodles of fun!!
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@3RU7AL
Chapter of what? 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
You don't believe that The Truth tells you anything?

Go ahead and put fun as an idol before God if you want. Seems pretty popular these days. It will ultimately not fulfil you and has no power to save you.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
It's actually quite natural to put anything that exists before imaginary beliefs.

11 days later

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
(IFF) "NTURTTGgTS" (Noumenon, The Ultimate Reality, The Truth, [G]god, The Source) is true (a logical necessity) (THEN) what?
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@3RU7AL
(IFF) "NTURTTGgTS" (Noumenon, The Ultimate Reality, The Truth, [G]god, The Source) is true (a logical necessity) (THEN) what?
Then.... then we'd need a snappier name for it?

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
Then.... then we'd need a snappier name for it?
Perhaps, "the thing that made the things for which there is no known maker"?

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:
Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it."

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:
Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it."
Who do you buy it from and what do you do with it once you have it in your hand?

And how do you know if it is a fake?
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@Mopac
And what is that pearl?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@janesix
@3RU7AL
Go with Christ.
janesix
janesix
-->
@Mopac
How do you do that.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@janesix
I would recommend going to an Orthodox Church. I would recommend bothering the priest with all your questions. I would recommend reading the books in their library. I would recommend being charitable rather than dismissive. You have to want it to click.

There is really only so much that can be done through this environment, the internet that is.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
I would recommend going to an Orthodox Church. I would recommend bothering the priest with all your questions. I would recommend reading the books in their library. I would recommend being charitable rather than dismissive. You have to want it to click.
So are you saying one needs to sell everything they own in order to join your favorite flavor of Jesusology?
janesix
janesix
-->
@Mopac
If Jesus is real, I certainly want to know and believe. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@janesix
If Jesus is real, I certainly want to know and believe. 
If Ahura Mazda is real, I certainly want to know and believe.
janesix
janesix
-->
@3RU7AL
Me too. That's why I keep looking.