Greetings before we start I will clarify a couple of things,
1. I am NOT 100 % against religion, I have many friends and family who are religious who are good people at heart.
2. I am NOT against the 100 % eradication of the bible. In light of my first debate on this subject with KillShot, The Bible has places in modern society. Not necessarily as a moral compass, But for the studying of our history, And for various form of academics.
Before you prove to me why the Bible isn't repulsive and has a place in modern society, I will first explain why I and many others believe the Bible is repulsive. For my argument, I will be using direct quotes of the Bible followed by my analysis of this. On that note, let's get started.
"You shall acknowledge no God but me. . . . You are destroyed, Israel. . . . The people of Samaria must bear their guilt Because they have rebelled against their God. They will fall by the sword; their little ones will be dashed to the ground, Their pregnant women ripped open. " (Hosea 13:4, 9, 16 New International Version)
- In this quote, God is destroying an entire town including women and children, Simply because they rebelled against him. Surely a loving and forgiving God would forgive the people of Samaria for rebelling against him? Furthermore massurcurring an entire town just because they don't believe in God is not the way to go about it, Instead of destroying them God could simply try again to save them. If they rebel again, Than God should just leave them alone and not kill them.
" And in those days the tribe of the Danites was seeking a place of their own where they might settle Because they had not yet come into an inheritance among the tribes of Israel. . . . Then they said to [the priest], 'Please inquire of God to learn whether our journey will be successful. ' The priest answered them, 'Go in peace. Your journey has the Lord's approval. '. . . Then they took what Micah had made, And his priest, And went on to Laish, Against a people at peace and secure. They attacked them with the sword and burned down their city. . . . The Danites rebuilt the city and settled there. " (Judges 18:1"28 NIV)
- In this quote, God is once again destroying an entire people so that one of his tribes could live there even though the Tribe living they're originally was peaceful and didn't want to harm anyone.
"See, The day of the Lord is coming " a cruel day, With wrath and fierce anger. . . . I will put an end to the arrogance of the haughty. . . . Their infants will be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses will be looted and their wives violated. " (Isaiah 13:9"16 NIV)
- In this quote God is saying that because this group of people was arrogant their infants should be put to death, Their houses should be looted, And their women raped. Once again God is wiping out an entire group of people simply because their arrogant which is once again REPULSIVE.
These 3 quotes are just the tip of the iceberg, Other quotes in the bible state that women shouldn't have any authority or that disobedient teenager should be stoned to death. While the Bible does have some good lessons to teach such as thou shall not kill, Thou shall not steal, Or love thy neighbor, The Bible overall is repulsive
Another very common argument is that I am only citing from the old testament when that testament isn't Gods teachings. Even if we buy this argument, it's still irrelevant since the new testament is also repulsive as well.
"Women Should Shut Up in Church: 1st Corinthians 14:34 NASB"
- This is a pure example of the blatant sexism exhibited in the Bible, And sexism is REPULSIVE.
" Return Runaway Slaves to Their Owners: Philemon 1:12 The Message"
- Slavery is a violation of human rights And helping the slave owners catch runaway slaves is almost as bad as owning them. Since the new testament preaches slavery, This makes the new testament REPULSIVE.
" The Wealthy Will Be Condemned by God: James 5:1-5 NASB"
- I currently am growing up in the California bay area which is arguably one of the richest areas's in the world, And I've learned through the first-hand experience that the majority of rich people are kind, Giving, And forgiving, While there are horrible rich people out there, The mere fact that the bible clumps all rich people into one negative category is almost as bad as racism or sexism. Which in and of itself, Is REPULSIVE.
The bottom line is even if we buy this argument that the old testament is invalid, There are still many immoral messages in the new testament which make the new testament as well as the old testament, REPULSIVE.
However I am very open to someone changing my mind so that being said I hope whomever you are, We can both learn a little something from this debate.