We have no obligation to follow the law
Waiting for the contender's third argument.
The round will be automatically forfeited in:
- Publication date
- Last update date
- Time for argument
- Two weeks
- Voting system
- Open voting
- Voting period
- One month
- Point system
- Four points
- Rating mode
- Characters per argument
Assuming that society exists, disobeying the law is with one's own discretion: whether is to be caught by police, or followed by something that inflicts pain.
Do we, however, have any obligation to follow the law? I say no. However, I simply choose to follow the law because I believe I will be inflicted of less pain, which is a good thing for me. If you don't want to be painful, then my suggestion is to not break the law.
-BoP is shared:
----Pro: We have no obligation to follow the law
----Con: We are obligated to follow the law
Intelligence_06 is Pro.
: a binding custom or practice of a community : a rule of conduct or action prescribed or formally recognized as binding or enforced by a controlling authority: the whole body of such customs, practices, or rules: Common Law
- of which "Common Law" means:
: the body of law developed in England primarily from judicial decisions based on custom and precedent, unwritten in statute or code, and constituting the basis of the English legal system and of the system in all of the U.S. except Louisiana[1a]
- In other words, basically rules and customs prescribed, enforced, etc. by specifically a group of controlling authorities
: something one is bound to do
- Biden has retreated troops from Afghanistan. Reality is just like what the news said it is.
- Afghanistan has already been defeated long ago and the US media is making the story up to cover up where the military budget went.
- Biden is no longer in charge and the media is pretending he is in power for some reason.
- It was a joke coordinated by a few news reporters across the US and somehow everyone believed it.
- You are living in a scenario close to the Truman show, and every piece of news is fabricated out of nothing.
- You are a dreaming butterfly, dreaming that Biden has retreated out of Afghanistan.
- We are not BOUND by law since we can easily break them.
- We cannot prove the law exists, and obviously we don't have to follow something that we can't even prove to really exist.
- Technically, since we can't prove the law exists the same way we can't prove Harry Potter has objective being, saying we have an obligation to follow the law is akin to saying we have an obligation to obey Hogwarts rules.
- In the end, we don't have an obligation to obey the law.
This is the second time you accepted my debate and forfeited. You are literally able to reply comments whilst the period you can reply to this debate. By conduct prescribed by the rules, you have literally lost.
Maybe rearrange your priorities.
Obligation semantically includes legal obligation.
- If Con concedes and fails to refute any of Pro's arguments, Con thus loses.
- Con has conceded this debate and failed to refute any of my arguments.
- Thus, Con lost this debate. Vote Pro.