Some races are bad for society.
All stages have been completed. The voting points distribution and the result are presented below.
With 2 votes and 11 points ahead, the winner is ...
- Publication date
- Last update date
- Time for argument
- Two days
- Voting system
- Open voting
- Voting period
- Two weeks
- Point system
- Four points
- Rating mode
- Characters per argument
BOP is shared.
I will attempt to argue that some races are bad for society. Con should attempt to argue that this is not the case.
nouna competition between runners, horses, vehicles, boats, etc., to see which is the fastest in covering a set course.
nounthe aggregate of people living together in a more or less ordered community.
- In 2001, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that police listed street racing as a factor in 135 fatal crashes. The total was up from 72 street-racing-related fatalities reported in 2000.
- In 1999, the Florida Department of Highway and Safety for Motor Vehicles reported 28 accidents related to illegal street racing, with 2 fatalities and 27 injuries. In 2000, the agency reported 39 racing accidents, with 1 fatality and 55 injuries. In 2002, there were 48 racing accidents, 1 fatality, and 60 injuries.
- 1. Governments primarily establish speeding regulations, also known as speed limits, to reduce risks imposed by drivers speed choices. Public street racing openly goes against these regulations. I believe there are necessary reasons in which speeding is beneficial; police officers speed in high-volume chases, medical teams speed to save a victim, and firefighters often speed to stop an emergency. Racing on public roads for fun, however, puts the lives of innocent people at risk and is on balance, a completely unnecessary activity.
- 2. In street racing, people often ignore traffic light laws, and run directly through them. Running through red lights often results in the typical "T bone accident," in which one party collides with the side of a passing vehicle. In fact, Red-light running is responsible for 28% of crash deaths that occur at intersections with traffic signals, and runners kill on average 2 people each day in the United States. Again, there are similar situations when running a red light can be acceptable (medical, police, etc.) but when people run red lights for the sake of their amusement, they risk the lives of other innocent drivers, and make roads more dangerous for mere fun, which is unacceptable.
- p1) public street races ar bad for society
p2) public street/road races are types of races
c) some races are bad for society