what do skeptics think really happened with Jesus and his followers?

Author: n8nrgim

Total: 67
SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
It seems OP is interested in proselytizing rather than debate. That makes this thread much less interesting for me. 

there's an element of "i want to believe"

For what it's worth, faith is not a reliable pathway to truth. There is nothing faith cannot 'justify', even contradictory views, and that is the problem with it. 
n8nrgim
Debates: 0
n8nrgim
-->
@SkepticalOne
I wouldn't be surprised if an iterant Jewish rabbi with a devoted following was crucified around 33CE. I wouldnt be surprised if people made supernatural claims about him. That happens today with modern figures. Supernatural claims, from any time period, I do not believe.

To answer specific questions, people die for things they believe. Sometimes those beliefs have no basis in reality. I see no reason why deaths of the earliest followers of Jesus are different or special in that regard. 

historians from antiquity sometimes referred to jesus as a magician. even if those supernatural claims are not true, there's at least some more objective measues that referred to him as a miracle worker. also, if we trust that the followrs of jesus were genuine, they said he committed miracles. someone who is willing to die for their faith, it bolsters what they say. i understand people die for their faith all the time, and some of those faiths are untrue.. but it's still indiciative of soemthing when someone dies for their faith. if we beleive they personally knew jesus, it's more compelling than someone who just happens to die for something they believe. they had a tie to the thing they witness to, that's different, and compelling. 

I don't have any strong opinions on Paul, but I have found seizure to be a compelling explanation of his Demascus road experience. 

it seems far fetched that someone would happen to have a seizure when as far as we can tell, they were otherwise healthy, that just happens to lead to him being a central figure in the worlds most dominate religion. and even if you are a skeptic, his writings are clearly inspired. someone just happened to have a seizure and all this just happened to play out that way? huge coincidence if so. if this was just his own testimony, that would be one thing and not very compelling, but christianity predates paul, and paul just corroborates it.

I don't tend to think the early followers of Jesus were 'lying'. Someone might have told a lie, but for the most part I accept they believed their testimony. I just don't believe their testimony, at least, not the supernatural parts. I see no good reason why it should be accepted at face value. 
you haven't pin pointed a good motive in why they would lie about supernatural claims. i can understand being a skeptic, but you just choose to assume they are lying. again, their first hand testimony and willingness to die for their faith is compelling. and the historicans who called jesus a magician
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
i see that there was someone who said that a historican from where jesus lived, when he lived, didn't record anything about jesus. but if the skeptic claims about all the hucksters trying to claim being a messiah are true, maybe jesus and his followers claim didn't seem unique. what if it was unique, though? that ties back to the strength of their claims, which is what we've been debating. there are jewish and roman historicans who report about jesus, just not the historicans tied more directly to jesus' place in history. 
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
I don't tend to think the early followers of Jesus were 'lying'. Someone might have told a lie, but for the most part I accept they believed their testimony. I just don't believe their testimony, at least, not the supernatural parts. I see no good reason why it should be accepted at face value. 
you haven't pin pointed a good motive in why they would lie about supernatural claims. i can understand being a skeptic, but you just choose to assume they are lying. again, their first hand testimony and willingness to die for their faith is compelling. and the historicans who called jesus a magician

or if they weren't lying and just mistaken, you haven't pin pointed the reason they would make such a blunder. you just choose to ignore the degree of how compelling their testimony is. 
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@n8nrgim
historians from antiquity sometimes referred to jesus as a magician

You know what modern historians don't attribute to historical figures? Magic. There's a good reason for that. 

someone who is willing to die for their faith, it bolsters what they say. i understand people die for their faith all the time, and some of those faiths are untrue.. but it's still indiciative of soemthing when someone dies for their faith.
This is incoherent. You're agreeing with me AND suggesting dying for your beliefs points to factuality. You can't have it both ways.

Clearly, death for beliefs has absolutely no relevance to the truth of those beliefs. There are countless examples of people dying for beliefs that we know to be absolutely bogus. (Heavensgate, Jonestown, etc.)

it seems far fetched that someone would happen to have a seizure when as far as we can tell, they were otherwise healthy, that just happens to lead to him being a central figure in the worlds most dominate religion.
I don't think so. A seizure would explain the vision, the blindness, and the change of heart afterwards.  It's certainly more plausible than the alternative. 

you haven't pin pointed a good motive in why they would lie about supernatural claims.
I think maybe you didn't understand what I said. I didn't claim early believers were generally lying about Jesus. I said the opposite - early followers believed their testimony. That's not to say their testimony accurately reflected reality.  Add to that legendary accretion as time passes and Jesus becomes more and more extraordinary. Again, we can see this occuring with modern figures. Who knows, in a thousand years, Elvis or Dwayne Johnson might be considered a deity. 

their first hand testimony and willingness to die for their faith is compelling.

FYI, legendary accretion also applies to the apostles. The martyrdom of the apostles is a church tradition. There are multiple (and contradictory) martyrdom stories for some of the apostles - different churches have different death stories for their apostolic heroes. 

Furthermore, the gospels are not thought, at least not by critical scholars, to be eye-witness accounts. That is another 'church tradition' with questionable relation to reality. 
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Best.Korea
This one is actually possible.

Just let man jerk off and then take his semen and push it in your vagina.

You will be virgin because dick didnt enter your vagina, only semen did.
If you put the yogurt into a woman's vagina as you say, you're technically deflowering her, unless you have a very advanced technology to do it, which means it could have been possible at that time only if an extraterrestrial being had performed this procedure.

Actually, many contactees claim that Maria got pregnant in that way, so I wouldn't rule that out.
FLRW
FLRW

I think Joseph would have like to been on the Maury Show if it had been available back then.
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@SkepticalOne
You know what modern historians don't attribute to historical figures? Magic. There's a good reason for that. 
that looks like a deflection. ancient historicans did refer to him as a magician. whether or not modern historicians would seriously entertain magic is irrelevant. you can choose to ignore what ancient historians said, but at least state that you are choosing ignoring it.

someone who is willing to die for their faith, it bolsters what they say. i understand people die for their faith all the time, and some of those faiths are untrue.. but it's still indiciative of soemthing when someone dies for their faith.
This is incoherent. You're agreeing with me AND suggesting dying for your beliefs points to factuality. You can't have it both ways.

Clearly, death for beliefs has absolutely no relevance to the truth of those beliefs. There are countless examples of people dying for beliefs that we know to be absolutely bogus. (Heavensgate, Jonestown, etc.)
you misquote me and misunderstand me. if someone is willing to die for their faith,  they probably have a good reason for why they'd make that sacrifice. sometimes people are just stupid, but that's the exception to the rule. and the part you didn't quote which is a stronger point, is that the apostles had first hand witness to the events, not just stupid fanatics who die for a random belief.

it seems far fetched that someone would happen to have a seizure when as far as we can tell, they were otherwise healthy, that just happens to lead to him being a central figure in the worlds most dominate religion.
I don't think so. A seizure would explain the vision, the blindness, and the change of heart afterwards.  It's certainly more plausible than the alternative. 
i guess we just disagree. i dont think a one time event of a seizure makes the best explanation with all the other context, too big of a coincidence. 

you haven't pin pointed a good motive in why they would lie about supernatural claims.
I think maybe you didn't understand what I said. I didn't claim early believers were generally lying about Jesus. I said the opposite - early followers believed their testimony. That's not to say their testimony accurately reflected reality.  Add to that legendary accretion as time passes and Jesus becomes more and more extraordinary. Again, we can see this occuring with modern figures. Who knows, in a thousand years, Elvis or Dwayne Johnson might be considered a deity. 
you misquoted my later post where i acknowledged that even if they weren't lying, you dont explain why they'd be mistaken about the thing theyd die for. sure a mistake is possible, but you look like you just ignore trying to explain it. people generally dont make mistakes in that nature that cost their lives. you say it's possible that legend develops over time, but that speciic point is irrelevant as to explaining their mistake. i understand that is just an additional point you're making, though.  

their first hand testimony and willingness to die for their faith is compelling.

FYI, legendary accretion also applies to the apostles. The martyrdom of the apostles is a church tradition. There are multiple (and contradictory) martyrdom stories for some of the apostles - different churches have different death stories for their apostolic heroes. 

Furthermore, the gospels are not thought, at least not by critical scholars, to be eye-witness accounts. That is another 'church tradition' with questionable relation to reality. 
do you think the willingness to die due their first hand accounts have anything to do with church tradition? i'm not sure what point you are trying to make. my understanding is that there are objective third party historicans who attest to the martyrdom of the apostles. 

on a last point, you could make the argument about cults. was jesus a cult leader? it's an interesting idea. most people aren't stupid enough to fall for cult hucksters, and it isn't likely that histroicans would record the cult leader as a historical figure and record the deeds the cult leader are said to have performed. were other false messiahs recorded by historicans? i really dont know that answer. a cult, it's an interesting idea i hadn't really considered too much. so a cult leader that was followed by a seizure dude with all their followers writing profound spritiual letters? it seems far fetched, but i dunno. 
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@n8nrgim
that looks like a deflection. ancient historicans did refer to him as a magician. whether or not modern historicians would seriously entertain magic is irrelevant. you can choose to ignore what ancient historians said, but at least state that you are choosing ignoring it.
It is irrelevant because, and this is what I saw in History Channel, Jesus was not the only preacher and miracle performer at that time. I think there is a passage in the gospels where one of their followers tells Jesus about a guy that was doing similar things as him. Jesus, aka the christ, said it was ok. So, I would doubt whether the magic performed back then was really magic or simply things that could be explained with the current science.

Don't take it the wrong way, but judging by your arguments (and perhaps your grammar and orthography, I'm not authorized to say it because english is not my mother tongue) I would say you're an uneducated person. Am I right? Do you have any degree? I'm sorry but knowledge matters a lot in this kind of discussions.
Best.Korea
Debates: 273
Best.Korea
-->
@IlDiavolo
I would say you're an uneducated person
I am uneducated, but I dont brag about it tho. I consider myself lucky that I wasnt infected.
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@IlDiavolo
I have three honors degrees in engineering and science from competitive schools. Not just in formal education but otherwise I'm way over educated. The fact you think that makes me think that u r the uneducated one. Not calling myself genius, but there's a saying that genius mother Fuckers look like dumb mother Fuckers to people who r themselves dumb mother fuckers.
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@IlDiavolo
I think the passage in the gospels u r referring to is where a man was performing miracles in Jesus's name but wasn't following the apostles. Jesus said who ain't against him is for him and not to worry about the guy. My guess is you r mistaken
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@n8nrgim
I have three honors degrees in engineering and science from competitive schools. Not just in formal education but otherwise I'm way over educated. The fact you think that makes me think that u r the uneducated one. Not calling myself genius, but there's a saying that genius mother Fuckers look like dumb mother Fuckers to people who r themselves dumb mother fuckers.
Alright. Maybe english is not your first language and I was prejudging. There isn't any info about you in your profile so I'm just guessing.

If you say you're a genius show us you really are at least.

I think the passage in the gospels u r referring to is where a man was performing miracles in Jesus's name but wasn't following the apostles. Jesus said who ain't against him is for him and not to worry about the guy. My guess is you r mistaken
Ok, genius, I was referring to the miracle thing which is your main argument to prove christianity. And as you can see, Jesus was not the only one that performed miracles, that's enough to debunk the magic nature of miracles. 
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@IlDiavolo
Jesus followers performed miracles in Jesus name. Even Jesus said that would and should happen. I think u r confused again
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@n8nrgim
it looks like a lot of what we think we know about jesus might not be reliable.

Well is all one has to do is remove what are referred to as "miracles" and replace them with initiations, and a different story begins to appear almost immediately.

Let me see if I can make this as simple as possible for you. Example:

Raising the "dead".
Anyone outside of the Jesus movement   are referred to as ' The Dead'  while those that have been initiated into the Jesus movement call themselves 'The Living'
To belong to this movement one has be raised from among The Dead. 
The evidence for my claim comes from the bible its self.  

With this in mind, see if you can answer this question for yourself with no prompting from me or anyone else.

One of Jesus' disciples asks him for the day off to "bury his father", what is Jesus' reply?
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@Stephen
I think Jesus replied let the dead bury the dead. What is your point?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@n8nrgim
it looks like a lot of what we think we know about jesus might not be reliable.

Well is all one has to do is remove what are referred to as "miracles" and replace them with initiations, and a different story begins to appear almost immediately.

Let me see if I can make this as simple as possible for you. Example:

Raising the "dead".
Anyone outside of the Jesus movement   are referred to as ' The Dead'  while those that have been initiated into the Jesus movement call themselves 'The Living'
To belong to this movement one has be raised from among The Dead. 
The evidence for my claim comes from the bible its self.  

With this in mind, see if you can answer this question for yourself with no prompting from me or anyone else.

One of Jesus' disciples asks him for the day off to "bury his father", what is Jesus' reply?

I think Jesus replied let the dead bury the dead. What is your point?
Correct!
My point was for  YOU to prove to me that  I am correct. Which you have done superbly. 

Tell me how can the dead bury the dead?
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@Stephen
it was just a figure of speech. jesus' point was that when someone dies, you have to move on with life, you can't dwell on the past. it's excellent wisdom. 
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@n8nrgim
Jesus followers performed miracles in Jesus name. Even Jesus said that would and should happen. I think u r confused again
I refer to the documentary of History Channel which is more reliable, there were several preachers that used to perform "magic stuff" not necessarily in the name of Jesus. As I said, people back then migh have considered miracles as something magical because they were UNEDUCATED, but nowadays it could be seen as something scientifically explainable.

Have you ever witnessed a miracle like in the bible? Or christians nowadays are not enough christians to perform such miracles?

And remember, being UNEDUCATED doesn't mean being DUMB. Maybe you need to read more books. Lol.
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@IlDiavolo
are you saying there were reports  from ancient historians of magic from nonchristians? or is this a contemporary thing? you need to cite something or add better context for me to accept your proposition. 

christians perform miracles to this day. the catholic church requires that for a saint to be canonized, there has to be three miracles that are inexplicable. there's lots of examples outside of the catholic church too, in christianity. there's barely any or questionable examples outside of christianity. i know you contested that point once, but it was a non sensical response so i didn't respond to you. if you want me to show the flaw in your reasoning, go ahead and argue your points. 

i dont know why you keep harping on the point. i read all day every day.  with formal education im over educated, and even outside of formal education. im conversant on a wide range of complex topic, which is a sign of high intelligence. my scores on standardized tests and on aptitude tests show me to have a high IQ. are you insecure with yourself or something? i know i can be sloppy with my writing but the content of my posts illustrates knowledge and wisdom. i'm not gonna carefully craft everything i write for a stupid internet forum. 
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
Fight fight fight
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@n8nrgim

it was just a figure of speech. jesus' point was that when someone dies, you have to move on with life, you can't dwell on the past. it's excellent wisdom. 

No it wasn't "just a figure of speech". It was a clear reference to what I have explained to you above#45 . Anyone outside of Jesus circle of disciples were referred to as "DEAD". that being SPIRITUALY dead.

Hence the father that had literally died and expired clearly wasn't a member of  the Jesus circle. And he had physically died among the spiritually DEAD.

Hence "let the dead bury the dead".
The Prodigal Son is another example of what I am telling to. he said his son "had died" but was now "alive again".

As was the tale of Ananias and Sapphira. They are said to have just dropped down dead for no other reason than holding back funds from a sale of some land.  this was clearly an excommunication from the movement of the  living and cast out to be among "THE DEAD".

It is as I have said above: is all one has to do is remove what are referred to as "miracles" and replace them with initiations, and a different story begins to appear almost immediately.

You are more than welcome to your beliefs and your somewhat wobbly faith. But unless you can give me another rational explanation as to how a dead, three or four days old rotten stinking corpse can come back to life then the word DEAD in the bible is no more than a insult of the time.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@n8nrgim
that looks like a deflection. ancient historicans did refer to him as a magician.
It's not a deflection. I'm pointing out the standard you're appealing to isn't good. 

if someone is willing to die for their faith, they probably have a good reason for why they'd make that sacrifice
They *think* they have a good reason which isn't the same thing as having a good reason.  Again, dying for your beliefs doesnt mean there was any veracity to them. 

and the part you didn't quote which is a stronger point, is that the apostles had first hand witness to the events, not just stupid fanatics who die for a random belief.
I addressed the assumptions built into this:
1. We have no confirmed first hand accounts from the apostles. The Gospels aren't eye-witness accounts.
2. We have no confirmation all of the apostles were 'killed for Jesus'. Church tradition lays out contradictory deaths for the apostles. Some martyrdom accounts, if not all, are false. 

people generally dont make mistakes in that nature that cost their lives
It's a common phenomena actually...  9/11 terrorists, Jonetown, Heavens Gate, Branch Davidians, etc. 

do you think the willingness to die due their first hand accounts have anything to do with church tradition?
It is your assumption all the apostles were martyred. I do not share it. Church tradition serves the church and does not always align with history or truth. 

Ultimately, these assumptions are irrelevant because martyrdom doesn't speak to the veracity of beliefs. 

was jesus a cult leader
Define "cult leader". 

most people aren't stupid enough to fall for cult hucksters,
I don't think people in cults are necessarily stupid. I don't think you should either. 

it isn't likely that histroicans would record the cult leader as a historical figure and record the deeds the cult leader are said to have performed.
Not only is it likely - it has happened.  Josephus lists several including Theudas (Also mentioned in ACTS 5:36) 

were other false messiahs recorded by historicans?
I'm guessing you didn't mean to say Jesus was a false messiah! 😏

History records plenty of people who've claimed to be Jesus or the Christ. 
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@SkepticalOne

History records plenty of people who've claimed to be Jesus or the Christ.
Yes, at least seven men around the world claim to be Jesus Christ reincarnated, and many have a following of devoted believers.

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@FLRW
I am Jesus Christ too. So make it 8.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Best.Korea

Praise The Lord!  I am actually Zeus !
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@FLRW
Praise Zeus!
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Best.Korea

No, really, I look just like him !
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Best.Korea
Happening right now before your very eyes.  Nothing learned from history, why even write it down?
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@sadolite
why even write it down?
I dont write it down.