I doubt a naturalistic origin for Christian resurrection belief.

Author: SethBrown

Total: 57
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@SethBrown
I doubt a naturalistic origin for Christian resurrection belief.

Then what was it?

What was the origin of christian belief?
answering a question with a question of your own is not answering my question.
Well you made the statement of doubt.  Why don't you explain why, and on what grounds you have to doubt.

SethBrown
Debates: 23
SethBrown
-->
@n8nrgim
Would you tell me what cult theory is, and is it like the conspiracy theory? (That they just made it up)
SethBrown
SethBrown
-->
@Stephen
answering a question with a question of your own is not answering my question.
Im asking you to specify what you meant.
Well you made the statement of doubt.  Why don't you explain why, and on what grounds you have to doubt.
Sure, ive looked at the major theories and none of them explained all the factors of the origin of christian belief.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@SethBrown

Sure, ive looked at the major theories and none of them explained all the factors of the origin of christian belief.

What were the major theories that you have looked at?   And what factors do you refer to?
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@SethBrown
It is different than the apostles just making up a story. Cult members in general don't think they r making anything up. But while the theory that Jesus led a cult doesn't address your proposed ideas in your opening post, the theory is still possible, isn't it, as a natural explanation?
SethBrown
SethBrown
It is different than the apostles just making up a story. Cult members in general don't think they r making anything up.
So do you think they were genuine in their belief of the resurrection?
 But while the theory that Jesus led a cult doesn't address your proposed ideas in your opening post, the theory is still possible, isn't it, as a natural explanation?
Is it possible as in should it be taken into consideration, of course im open to taking any theory into consideration. But does it meet the criteria id have to look into it. (for example im concerned it may not meet the criteria of enemies converting, or the empty tomb [which is very debatable])
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
The first Christians were more divided than you think. It's an error to say all first Christians believed in resurrection, the trinity, the virgin birth and all this fancy stuff. Actually there was a group among them that believed  (and still believes) Jesus was a mere human as you and me. They are called the gnostic Christians. 

Where did these fancy stories come from? Basically from other ancient cultures, like the Egyptian and Babylonian. Jews really liked to mix up their traditions and beliefs with other culture's. You can also find in the old testament different references to other ancient cultures' stories. Why did that happen? I don't know, since there was no copyright back then I suppose everything was possible.
SethBrown
SethBrown
-->
@IlDiavolo
The first Christians were more divided than you think. It's an error to say all first Christians believed in resurrection, the trinity, the virgin birth and all this fancy stuff. Actually there was a group among them that believed  (and still believes) Jesus was a mere human as you and me. They are called the gnostic Christians. 
They were split yeah, no one can reasonable deny that, that's mostly because there wasnt a cannon or even a full bible till like 300 ad.

Where did these fancy stories come from? Basically from other ancient cultures, like the Egyptian and Babylonian. Jews really liked to mix up their traditions and beliefs with other culture's. You can also find in the old testament different references to other ancient cultures' stories. Why did that happen? I don't know, since there was no copyright back then I suppose everything was possible.
So this is the mythic theory? (The theory that it was just made up years later after the apostles, and the apostles never actually claimed that)
Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
Why would people, in an authoritarian nation, where their religion was highly disfavored, even by their own Jewish sect, and made illegal, and they were literally fed to lions for entertainment if not beaten or imprisoned without food or drink, make up a resurrection story and PURPOSELY put a target on their back and then, at the end, all die for this lie?

And, moreover, why in the world would they do all of that and NOT ASK FOR A SINGLE PENNY for themselves?

Does that make sense to you? Did Elron Hubbard, Joseph Smith, or Charles Russel do that? 
SethBrown
SethBrown
-->
@Public-Choice
I dont think there is a naturalistic explanation for it, I am genuinely unconvinced, so I want someone to convince me.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@SethBrown
The theory that it was just made up years later after the apostles, and the apostles never actually claimed that
Probably. The gospels are written in greek and we don’t know if the writer put his imagination to work on it. The greeks also believed in that kind of fancy stuff. 

SethBrown
SethBrown
-->
@IlDiavolo
How does it being written in greek follow it was made up years later?

Well looking at the evidence most scholars date claims of the resurrection back to the mid 45's, around 15 years after the death of Jesus, the reasons for this are overwhelming and based around 1 Corinthians 15:3-7.
-Mnemonic structure with parallelism
-Less than 50 words
These 2 reasons point towards it being an early creed for catechizing new Christians (easy to learn and memorize)

-Paul also says at the start that he delivered to you (the Corinthians) what he received, meaning it likely came from the disciples themselves.
-The creed also uses the name Cephas, for peter which was an early name for peter, only later on was he called peter
-It also has an independent tradition that is not from the gospels, which is appearing to peter & James (peter likely added his name after learning it)

There is not a single scholar to my knowledge that dates this after the mid 40's, so we can reasonably rule out the mythic theory

Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@SethBrown
There are many naturalistic theories to explain why the disciples came to believe/claim the resurrection happened, like the conspiracy theory says they merely lied, or the hallucination theory says they hallucinated it, etc. I am unconvinced that these theories can explain the origin of the christian belief, so convince me.
The man the Christian Bible is about rarely spoke of Himself and almost never talked about the detached metaphysical constructs that so many arguments focus on, perhaps it is because He knew how such things could digress into divisive contrasts and disunity, and perhaps we can and should conclude that they simply do not matter.

It is certainly not my intent to contend that what was implicit in His life and was made explicit through theological discourse four hundred years later is not an image of truth; it is only to say that these divisive things do not matter to me and I do not believe they are more important than His message.

It is simply enough for me to know that the things He did and said caused His contemporaries to think of Him in completely new dimensions and that there was something to this man's life that caused those who knew it best to reach the conclusion that it was divine in nature. The divisive contentions about whether or not He actually rose from the grave in bodily form just do not matter to me. It is enough for me to know that his spirit jumped dramatically to life after his death and that because of this he gave millions and millions of people hope that they never had before.

IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@SethBrown
Well, let's be bold in our arguments then. There is also the theory that all these fancy stories are based on real facts, but related to an advanced extraterrestrial technology and the UFO phenomena. 

According to it, the ancient cultures had contact and help from these beings in the following order: Babylonia, Egypt and Israel (see History channel documentaries for more reference). These alliens have been doing genetical improvements in the human being by means of virgin conception of aristocrat women (artificial insemination) and also giving the right to resurrect those new specimens that worked well, like Jesus. So, Jesus was probably a new human being with extraterrestrial genes that was resurrected to be taken to "heaven" like Elijah was taken by "a chariots of fire". 
SethBrown
SethBrown
-->
@IlDiavolo
 There is also the theory that all these fancy stories are based on real facts, but related to an advanced extraterrestrial technology and the UFO phenomena. 
You think aliens resurrected jesus?
According to it, the ancient cultures had contact and help from these beings in the following order: Babylonia, Egypt and Israel (see History channel documentaries for more reference). 
Havent seen any evidence of that
These alliens have been doing genetical improvements in the human being by means of virgin conception of aristocrat women (artificial insemination) and also giving the right to resurrect those new specimens that worked well, like Jesus. So, Jesus was probably a new human being with extraterrestrial genes that was resurrected to be taken to "heaven" like Elijah was taken by "a chariots of fire". 
Ummm, interesting view. Let's discuss why it doesnt explain the origin of christian belief.

I have two issues with it, 1 even if it could explain all the factors (which it cant) why would it be more probabilistic than the resurrection
2, it cant account for the enemies of christ converting (james & paul), It would not account for the empty tomb (which in my view is historical), this theory perpetuates the gospels are true, which would mean you'd have to accept the explanation they gave of saying the disciples stole the body, how could you say the disciples stole the body, yet have aliens resurrect jesus.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@SethBrown
You think aliens resurrected jesus?
I think alliens have been guiding the human beings to their evolution in different cultures and civilizations (they still do it according to many testimonies) which means all the darwinian theory is bullshit. I don’t know if the scriptures say the truth, but if it does the only explanation for that is the allien participation in the jewish fate.

Havent seen any evidence of that
No evidence but lot of clues. I've always deemed the documentaries of History Channel about it as bullshit but they make sense today. There are many authors that have been investigating the phenomena and it all makes sense.

I have two issues with it, 1 even if it could explain all the factors (which it cant) why would it be more probabilistic than the resurrection
2, it cant account for the enemies of christ converting (james & paul), It would not account for the empty tomb (which in my view is historical), this theory perpetuates the gospels are true, which would mean you'd have to accept the explanation they gave of saying the disciples stole the body, how could you say the disciples stole the body, yet have aliens resurrect jesus.
The bible has plenty of stories of encounters with "angels" and "God". According to several investigations, these ancient encounters resemble the today's encounters with alliens. So, it's quite logic to think that if the gospels say the truth the most likely explanation for that is the participation of these alliens who are the only ones that had the technology and capacity to make all the magical stuff of the bible, like the resurrection.

Needless to say, I still think the gospels have been manipulated for political and religious purposes, and they are still manipulated by stupid interpretations. So, maybe the Jesus' message was part of the allien project, but there is also in the biblical content a lot of prejudices and beliefs from people of that time. We've got to be careful with it. 
Best.Korea
Debates: 270
Best.Korea
-->
@SethBrown
I dont think there is a naturalistic explanation for it
There is an explanation. As explained before, people lie, people do dumb things, people are irrational. The fact that you reject every explanation is itself irrelevant to discussion and should be rejected as rambling.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Athias
I have said this before:

-->
@EtrnlVw
l will let Albert Einstein answer for me (I'm related to him through the Koch family). He said, “The word 'God' is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation, no matter how subtle, can (for me) change this.”
Created:
2 years ago

SethBrown
SethBrown
-->
@IlDiavolo
I think alliens have been guiding the human beings to their evolution in different cultures and civilizations (they still do it according to many testimonies) which means all the darwinian theory is bullshit. I don’t know if the scriptures say the truth, but if it does the only explanation for that is the allien participation in the jewish fate.
Okay I dont really see any evidence elsewhere that aliens helped humans except for a few testimonies that have naturalistic explanations.
No evidence but lot of clues. I've always deemed the documentaries of History Channel about it as bullshit but they make sense today. There are many authors that have been investigating the phenomena and it all makes sense.
feel free to tell me the biggest clues, I believe there are aliens somewhere (there just must be) im unsure if they visited earth.
The bible has plenty of stories of encounters with "angels" and "God". According to several investigations, these ancient encounters resemble the today's encounters with alliens. So, it's quite logic to think that if the gospels say the truth the most likely explanation for that is the participation of these alliens who are the only ones that had the technology and capacity to make all the magical stuff of the bible, like the resurrection.
Well how do we know these angels & god are aliens? I see no reason in the bible to really believe they are. And again I dont think this theory is compatible with skeptics converting & the empty tomb, you'd have to also make a case it's more probable than the resurrection which I have no clue how we would do that.
Needless to say, I still think the gospels have been manipulated for political and religious purposes, and they are still manipulated by stupid interpretations. So, maybe the Jesus' message was part of the allien project, but there is also in the biblical content a lot of prejudices and beliefs from people of that time. We've got to be careful with it. 
I doubt they were manipulated, they could've been, I could be wrong, but I highly doubt it. We have over 3000 manuscripts of the bible, and pretty munch every bible verse has been quoted by a early church father before

SethBrown
SethBrown
-->
@Best.Korea
Few issues with this.
1 could it account for enemies of christ converting, like jame's & paul

2 could it account for why they choose women to be the 1st witnesses to the resurrection (women testimony held less value)

3 The near immediate proclamation of the resurrection in Jerusalem (why would they spread it in Jerusalem of all places)

4 The voluntary suffering of the witnesses

5 The empty tomb (This is historical since it appears as if early non-christians claimed the tomb was empty)

I think you'd need to adress all of these points and why them lying could account for that
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@SethBrown
As I said, there is explanation, but you reject every explanation making it pointless to talk about any explanations.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@SethBrown
feel free to tell me the biggest clues, I believe there are aliens somewhere (there just must be) im unsure if they visited earth.
They have been here all the time, otherwise the humanity would have fucked itself up long time ago. I guess they will show up sooner or later, but the clues come from the similar testimonies of the many contactees that exist out there. There are several books on that matter. 

Well how do we know these angels & god are aliens? I see no reason in the bible to really believe they are. And again I dont think this theory is compatible with skeptics converting & the empty tomb, you'd have to also make a case it's more probable than the resurrection which I have no clue how we would do that. 
I said the aliens were deemed as angels and gods because the people at that time were not conscious enough about how vast the universe is and they didn't have the technology we have now. UFO investigators presume this because the stories in the bible are quite similar to the testimonies of contactees in our times. I'm not going into the details of it because there is plenty of information on the Internet. 

I doubt they were manipulated, they could've been, I could be wrong, but I highly doubt it. We have over 3000 manuscripts of the bible, and pretty munch every bible verse has been quoted by a early church father before
Are you fucking serious? You forgot to say the bible is given by divine inspiration. Hahahahaha.

The communication of any message is always liable to "noise" or defects of the people that are in charge of passing along the message. You should check out the broken telephone game to know what I'm talking about.
SethBrown
SethBrown
-->
@Best.Korea
As I said, there is explanation, but you reject every explanation making it pointless to talk about any explanations.
The explanation doesnt explain the origin of the christian belief, there is no naturalistic explanation that can meet 8 criteria ive found

The claims that were made

The skeptics that converted

How other people would react to the gospel (Why would you pick the story of your messiah being executed.

Why you would pick women to be the 1st witnesses

The immediate proclamation in Jerusalem 

The voluntary suffering of the disciples

The empty tomb

No naturalistic theories can explain the 8 criteria I just layed out.
SethBrown
SethBrown
-->
@IlDiavolo
They have been here all the time, otherwise the humanity would have fucked itself up long time ago. I guess they will show up sooner or later, but the clues come from the similar testimonies of the many contactees that exist out there. There are several books on that matter. 
Would you lay out some of the testimonies?
I said the aliens were deemed as angels and gods because the people at that time were not conscious enough about how vast the universe is and they didn't have the technology we have now. UFO investigators presume this because the stories in the bible are quite similar to the testimonies of contactees in our times. I'm not going into the details of it because there is plenty of information on the Internet. 
Just because they dont comprehend the vastness of the universe, doesnt instantly conclude god, and the angels were aliens, I am unconvinced they are, convince me.
The communication of any message is always liable to "noise" or defects of the people that are in charge of passing along the message. You should check out the broken telephone game to know what I'm talking about.
There is soo many manuscripts, that are soo accurate, that you cant wave a magical "noise" wand at it, and expect it to go away. I will admit, some additions were added to the new testaments, but it was not to fit a political narrative, for example look at the ending of mark, it was added. But the idea of the text hasn't been manipulated to share a different political ideology or anything along those lines.

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@SethBrown
It was already explained. You just dont accept any explanation other than the magical sky daddy. I gave you an explanation. It is up to you from now on to either use brain either keep defending magical sky daddy. I dont even need to say that Christians would sooner stop believing in proof than in their magical sky daddy. Its a sad culture of inherited delusions.
SethBrown
SethBrown
-->
@Best.Korea
It was already explained.
You didnt explain it to my knowledge
 You just dont accept any explanation other than the magical sky daddy.
I dont accept any others, because they cant account for the origin of christian belief, that simple.
I gave you an explanation. It is up to you from now on to either use brain either keep defending magical sky daddy. I dont even need to say that Christians would sooner stop believing in proof than in their magical sky daddy. Its a sad culture of inherited delusions.
Your explanation fails on soo many levels that no academically honest person could accept it.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Best.Korea
It's a sad culture of inherited delusions.

Not necessarily sad.

But certainly a culture of inherited delusions.

As sad is not happy, and "Christians are probably happy sometimes.

And delusions in this instance are simply the transfer and repetition of misinformation.

Magical sky daddy.
Nice.