thoughts on israeli war - many libs dont make sense

Author: n8nrgim

Total: 54
HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
that's a head scratcher for sure considering it's the poor working stiff paying the bills of the most elite class of people
1) 51% of americans have post secondary education. so no, they are not"the most elite class of people"

2) if they are the "most elite class of people" then they don't have student loans. Because their daddy paid it for them or they made so much money they paid it off. 

3) I thoroughly agree that "the poor working stiff" is paying for too much stuff. The taxes on the rich and corporations need to be significantly higher. that way everyone can benefit. 

4) alleviating student debt is a huge net positive to the economy. that money that was being tied down paying loans can now be spent on buying a house, a car etc. This is a massive boost to the economy as a whole. 
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
 that money that was being tied down paying loans can now be spent on buying a house, a car etc. This is a massive boost to the economy as a whole. 
Thanks for that lesson in trickle down economics Mr. Reagan.... because asking poor people to pay up to get rich people to spend money is a time honored tradition in economic circles. Who do you really think is going to end up paying for defaulted loans from elite degreed people and inflation anyway?

But I guess if you wanted a way to cut 400 Billion dollars in revenue for the government, this would be one way to do it....you know as well as I do that revenue cut won't last.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
Thanks for that lesson in trickle down economics Mr. Reagan
lol no. that is the opposite of trickle down economics. Trick down economics is when you give money to rich people and corporations with the hope they will spend some of it improving their business or paying their workers. this does not work. it never has. it was made up to help make rich people richer. 

Giving money to poor people is the exact opposite of that. And it has been shown over and over again to be highly effective at stimulating economic growth. I think you are stuck on the idea that people with student loans are somehow rich people, when that is REALLY not the case. Rich people don't owe student loans because they had the money to pay for their education out of pocket. It is the poor people trying to get a better life that get buried in student loans. 

But I guess if you wanted a way to cut 400 Billion dollars in revenue for the government
umm, it is not cutting revenue for the government. It is a government expenditure. one which will help millions of poor people and stimulate the economy. There might be some better ways to spend money, but it is pretty high on the list of getting return on investment. 

you know as well as I do that revenue cut won't last.
This doesn't make sense. 
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Greyparrot

Remember that the 2017 tax cut reduced the top corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 21 percent—a 40 percent reduction. 

What a great way to bankrupt the USA. No wonder Putin loves Trump.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
Low-effort trolling won't save taxpayers from paying the tuition bill for Buffy and Fred.
FLRW
FLRW

And yes, I'm trying to attract more women to this site.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
That's a little creepy.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Greyparrot

More creepy than a picture of a kid in a Hitler Youth camp?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
Absolutely.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
no, it's not. I assume you hate joe biden and the democrats. So you are not pro-democratic party. does that mean you also hate america and all the american people? You can oppose a government or even hate a government and still support the people of that country. 
My point was that the people democratically elected Hamas. Hamas fighters are Palestinian. Palestinians and their supporters think Israel shouldn’t even exist.

For example, I support the people of Israel. They have a right to exist and be happy. Their government are genocidal monsters who are murdering 10's of thousands of innocent people. I support the palestinians. Their "government" are genocidal monsters who murdered thousands of people. 
The difference here is that the Israeli people can conduct democratic elections. Palestinians cannot. Whose fault is that?

But Hamas being monsters does not justify the mass murder of civilians. Some civilian casualties are inevitable in war, but Israel is WAY over the line. They've bombed hospitals, refugee camps etc. They told people move to area X because we are going to bomb area Y. Then proceeded to bomb them as the civilians went to area X. Then bombed area X too for good measure. 
It’s not Israel’s fault that Hamas hides among civilians and civilians do nothing about it. If the source of the problem is Hamas, then the people shouldn’t support Hamas. Yet, they are okay with them hiding among them. It’s akin to abetting terrorism basically.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@FLRW
Remember that the 2017 tax cut reduced the top corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 21 percent—a 40 percent reduction. 

What a great way to bankrupt the USA. No wonder Putin loves Trump.
Remember that 35% was like one of the highest in the world and corporations put their companies in foreign nations just to avoid the higher tax rate :)
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Remember that 35% was like one of the highest in the world and corporations put their companies in foreign nations just to avoid the higher tax rate :)
We also had to ask other nations to build here since homegrown Americans know better what happens when you do... :)

Nothing is Built.
Nothing is Back.
Nothing is Better.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@ILikePie5

* As of November 2, 2023, the U.S. Treasury’s official figure for the debt of the federal government is $33.7 trillion, or more precisely, $33,694,310,446,081.[9] This equates to:

• $100,380 for every person living in the U.S.
  • $256,812 for every household in the U.S.
  • 72% more than the combined consumer debt of every household in the U.S.
  • 7.0 times annual federal revenues.
  • 125% of annual U.S. economic output (GDP).

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
Proof why you don't give a crack addict like the FedGov your hard-earned tax money. No matter how much they take, they will spend twice that.
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@n8nrgim
Your thoughts on Israeli war is that many libs don't make sense?

The war has nothing to do with liberals and conservatives, or with Democrats and Republicans.

It's about Muslims and Jews, Palestinians and Israelis.

i dont know much about this dispute... and am open to new persepctives/info, but this is the way i see it from my limited perspective. 
If you can only see it from your own "us/them" perspective, you will never know much about the dispute.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Greyparrot
"there shouldn't be any obligation to support either of them." I agree completely. I support neither. They both would treat me like human garbage if allowed to rule over me. Let them slaughter each other like they would me. 
Best.Korea
Debates: 270
Best.Korea
-->
@FLRW
When doctors found smoking caused cancer, republicans sided with the tobacco industry
When Democrats requested for stricter gun control to keep guns away from certain individuals or certain type of guns from individuals, Republicans sided with the gun lobbyists and arms manufactures
When scientists realized increasing carbon dioxide causing climate change, republicans sided with the fossil fuel industry.
When data concluded gas stoves inside closed environments increased asthma and cancer, Republicans mumbled something about freedom
When Democrats push for clean/renewable energy sources, republicans sided with coal, natural gas and hydro citing “what if the wind doesn’t blow or sun don’t shine”
When scientists/doctors provided safety guidelines to keep people safe from COVID, the Republicans sided with a self-proclaimed smartest man in the world while he held rallies after rallies culminating in more death
When democrats pointed out the bill of rights guarantees Americans freedom to religion and freedom from religion, the republicans sided with the religious zealots and called it war on Christmas and Christians
When Democrats pointed out human rights belongs to all regardless of color, status, sexual orientation, religious affiliation/non-affiliation, the Republicans accused them of being woke and Anti-American
When Democrats called for unity, Republicans aligned themselves with religious zealots, conspiracy theorists and hate groups
The once proud Grand Old Party is no more!
Well said.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
My point was that the people democratically elected Hamas. Hamas fighters are Palestinian. Palestinians and their supporters think Israel shouldn’t even exist.
ok, but your point is stupid. The people democratically elected the democrats. democrats are american. therefore, by your logic, you are a democrat. see how dumb that is?
also, multiple points about that election.
1) it was like 10 years ago, they never got another election.
2) hamas got 44% of the vote and the next party got 41% of the vote. so even if they elected them yesterday, 56% of the people israel is killing didn't vote for hamas. 

The difference here is that the Israeli people can conduct democratic elections. Palestinians cannot. Whose fault is that?
I mean, in large part Israel. They refused, and still refuse, to allow the Palestinian authority to be allowed to have any control over Gaza. Israel wanted gaza and the west bank separate so that the PA can't realistically say they speak for the palestinians, since they don't govern all of them. Even now, Israel has said they wont allow the PA to govern Gaza once hamas is removed. Because Israel doesn't actually want peace. 

It’s not Israel’s fault that Hamas hides among civilians and civilians do nothing about it.
there's alot to unpack here. 1) what the hell are they supposed to do about it? The people with guns and explosives say they are going to store them here, are you supposed to fight them off? Expecting civilians to be able to stop hamas is stupid. 
2) the people see Israel as the real evil. Hamas doesn't bomb their schools, hospitals, refugee camps etc. Even before the attack by hamas, this year was already a record year in IDF forces killing palestinian civilians. They kill civilians all the time, every year. To expect civilians to side with the people who regularly kill them and constantly imprison them is insane. 

If the source of the problem is Hamas, then the people shouldn’t support Hamas.
Hamas isn't the source of the problem. It is a symptom of the problem. As long as Israel continues to treat the palestinians like garbage, a group like Hamas will exist. Even if Israel gets exactly what they say they want, Hamas ceases to exist. A new Hamas would come into existence tomorrow. You can't murder 10's of thousands of civilians and then expect their family members to not want to fight back. The only end to this cycle is to actually negotiate and resolve the underlying issues. As long as Israel continues to treat force as the only solution, they will never be able to end the violence. And they don't even want to. netanyahu is actually a supporter of Hamas. He likes their terrorism justifies Israeli violence and undermines negotiations. 
hey-yo
Debates: 24
hey-yo
So can a person criticise IDF and Hamas, whilst seperating hamas fron palestine? 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
Hamas isn't the source of the problem. It is a symptom of the problem. As long as Israel continues to treat the palestinians like garbage, a group like Hamas will exist. Even if Israel gets exactly what they say they want, Hamas ceases to exist. A new Hamas would come into existence tomorrow. You can't murder 10's of thousands of civilians and then expect their family members to not want to fight back. The only end to this cycle is to actually negotiate and resolve the underlying issues. As long as Israel continues to treat force as the only solution, they will never be able to end the violence. And they don't even want to. netanyahu is actually a supporter of Hamas. He likes their terrorism justifies Israeli violence and undermines negotiations. 
Palestine had numerous opportunities to accept a two-state solution. They refused to because they want everything — something which they never will get. It’s a fool’s errand.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
They preferred the two-hate solution.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
Palestine had numerous opportunities to accept a two-state solution. They refused to because they want everything — something which they never will get. It’s a fool’s errand.
Israel has also regularly blocked any attempts at peace. BB himself has been helping Hamas for years because he wants to make sure the palestinians can't be unified under a single, peaceful government. He wants them divided and committing terrorism, because it justifies his refusal to negotiate in good faith while he sends more and more settlers in to build illegal settlements on Palestinian land. 
hey-yo
Debates: 24
hey-yo
-->
@HistoryBuff
I invite you to read a debate that I was in. The pro has made same claim that Israel has made all attempts for peace 

Would like to know your thoughts on pro post. 

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@hey-yo
Point 1: We can see from the get-go that the actions of Hamas here were not to get peace and prosperity in Gaza, not to build infrastructure, and not to receive an Arab state (in the conventional sense), rather it was to see a LACK OF A JEWISH STATE.
While their charter definitely wants the destruction of Israel, I interpret it more as they see the jews as an existential threat. IE as long as a jewish state exists in the area, they will always be under threat of that state attempting to expand, as Israel has done many times and continues to do. therefore his statement is false. It's not that they aren't looking to receive an arab state. They very much do. But they also see the existence of a jewish state as a existential threat to that state. 

1. HISTORICAL RIGHTS TO THE LAND/ISRAEL STOLE IT
This one is a complicated point. Jews definitely lived there thousands of years ago. But there were very few jews living there for like 1000 years prior to Zionism. In my opinion, being absent for 1000 years removes much claim to the land. there are countless people in the world who have been displaced from their ancestral lands. If we said that all of them still had a right to those lands, the wars would be never ending. For example, the turks have lived in Anatolia and Europe for about 1000 years. So the people they displaced would have a similar claim to the removal of Turkey as the Jews do to the lands of Palestine. But I don't think anyone would support that. 

I'm also not sure that there is evidence to support the idea that the jewish people living there now are actually descendants of the jewish people who lived there 1000's of years ago. Judaism is, of course, a religion, not an ethnicity. Just because jews lived there before, does not mean the people living there now have a claim to it. Lots of people from other areas of the world converted to Judaism, it doesn't mean those people have claims to Israel/Palestine.

2. JEWS DIDN'T GIVE ENOUGH LAND/PREVENTED AN ARAB STATE (PLEASE READ)
this is kind of a weird point to me. Jews didn't "give" land. The british were taking land and giving it to the jews. The palestinians got mad and did horrible, horrible things prompting the Jews to retaliate. In the resulting violence the jews ended up taking more land. And they are illegally taking more land year after year. They weren't originally trying to prevent an arab state, because the population of the area was arab when they arrived. Their goals shifted over time though and they definitely have been fighting to prevent an arab state for decades. 

Point 3: Arabs have walked away from every single attempt to make an independent Arab State, so There cannot be any blame on the Jews for not giving up/stealing land from the Arabs.
arabs certainly share blame for the current mess. But just because you walk away from what you perceive to be a bad deal, does mean you lose all rights to a deal. And it certainly doesn't justify the other side illegally stealing your stuff, which the Israeli settlements do every year. 

Point 4. Do not blame israel for the oppressive conditions in Gaza.
I would strongly disagree with this point. Israel wanted hamas in power. They took steps to make sure Hamas stayed in power. The idea of a palestian people unified under a peaceful and reasonable government is terrifying to Israel. Israel needed hamas because it justified Israel in blocking peace and continuing their militarist policies and illegal settlements.

Point 4: Israel did not expel all arabs from Palestine as a result of making the state. At most, arabs were displaced from the war waged by up to 7 other arab countries at a time. if not for these unprovoked wars, much less arabs would have been displaced. Furthermore, Arabs since the beginning have enjoyed full citizenry in israel, even having representatives in gov't. This disproves the Apartheid theory (look up the definition of Apartheid.)
It's true they didn't expel all arabs, just most of them. The statement seems to claim that Israel didn't expel them at all, that they were displaced by the war only, this is untrue. He says it can't be Apartheid because many of the arabs that remained in what became Israel got citizenship and to look up the definition. The definition I found is "a policy or system of segregation or discrimination on grounds of race." The Palestinians certainly are discriminated against on grounds of race. Allowing some people to have citizenship and the right to vote doesn't negate an apartheid state. Besides, choosing to sort of accept a small chunk of a population doesn't mean you aren't engaging in apartheid against the rest of that population. There were some black people in apartheid south africa who did very well. They went to the best schools, served in government etc. Their existence doesn't negate how the government treated the rest of the black people.

To discuss the concept of a  human shield and proportionate response, I really don't understand the current Opposition's stance. Throughout world history, and indeed in common sense, once an act of aggression is done towards a country, that country will respond in the way it deems fit.
this is REALLY, not true. There have always been rules to war. Those rules have shifted over time, but to say that once a country has an act of aggression done against it they are free to do what they want is wildly inaccurate. for example, WW 1 was caused by Austria over reacting to an act of aggression. Their heir to the throne was murdered. But Russia still intervened to stop them when they went too far in reacting to it. Another example could be the Vietnam war. Theoretically, the reason america got involved was the gulf of Tonkin incident, IE an act of aggression against america. That does not excuse them bombing villages and mass slaughtering civilians. 

This means that Germany shouldn't have been attacked because of the civilians, Japan shouldn't have gotten 2 nuclear bombs after Pearl Harbor, and many other examples of retaliation that NO ONE IS PROTESTING ABOUT.
this seems straight up stupid. many people protested about the use of force on germany and Japan. It is pretty commonly held that the allies went too far in what they did to germany, the fire bombing of Dresden for example. But without the internet and freely available information, it was much less known and understood exactly how brutal it was. And the world has kind of moved on by the time that information was more widely available.

For the japanese, it's tougher. The allies' only 2 options were a conventional land invasion or using the bomb. It is plausible that a land invasion could have killed more japanese civilians than the bombs did. but we will never know.

If Hamas did not have their military operations near hospitals and schools and civilians, the IDF would not be shooting at them. 
the counter point would be that the IDF is putting little, if any, effort into avoiding civilian targets. They have been freely bombing any target that might have hamas there. They don't bother checking if they are actually there. They don't care. If they were doing everything they could to avoid civilian casualties, then this might be a valid point. Civilians were going to die in the fighting no matter what. But the IDF is actively bombing civilian targets with little to no evidence that there are any hamas fighters in the area. They want to drive out the civilians so they can militarily occupy the area. The free fire on civilians isn't a flaw, it's the design.

Also, even if there were to be an argument for unnecessary civilian death, why is no one blaming hamas for putting their operations there? why is all the blame on israel? this shows something.
it shows desperation. Many, if not most groups engaging in asymmetrical warfare use tactics like this. If they didn't Israel would easily kill them all and then continue abusing the palestinian people anyway. I'm sure they would argue it is even more inhumane to allow Israel to easily win and then abuse their people freely with no chance of resisting them. But like I said, this argument would only be valid if Israel was actually trying to avoid civilian casualties, which they are not. they lose any moral high ground the moment they intentionally target civilians.