What is your best argument for/against the existence of God?

Author: Best.Korea

Total: 64
YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Mr.BrotherD.Thomas
😂 Wasn't trying to provide evidence for the Christian God 
Mr.BrotherD.Thomas
Debates: 0
Mr.BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@YouFound_Lxam

YouFound_Lxam,

YOUR QUOTE OF TRYING TO NAME A GOD FOR THE CREATION OF THE WORLD AND UNIVERSE: "😂 Wasn't trying to provide evidence for the Christian God "

GREAT, then you accept that it was the Greek Gods Chaos, Gaia, and Uranus that created the world and the universe instead of the Christian Bible God named Jesus, and therefore calling Jesus a LIAR in His creation stories in Genesis 1 and 2!

Thank you for clearing this situation to the membership.

NEXT PSEUDO-CHRISTIAN LIKE "YOUFOUND_LXAM" THAT SAYS THE CHRISTIAN BIBLE GOD DID NOT CREATE THE UNIVERSE AS STATED IN GENESIS 1 AND 2, WILL BE ...?

YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Mr.BrotherD.Thomas
You are a character lol 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
@Mr.BrotherD.Thomas
@Mr.BrotherD.Thomas
You are a character lol 

Yep. The place wouldn't be the same without him..... and his biblical knowledge.👏👏👏

Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Best.Korea
Did you read the book of Esther?
No, but I am pretty, sure you can quote the evidence from it.
It's a philosophical argument. So, it's probably a little bit tough for your brain. 

As I said above, this book is in the OT.  Probably the last book written in the OT chronologically. It's written about the people of God living in a pagan land under a pagan king according to the laws of this pagan land.  And the interesting thing is that these people were living there AFTER the exile had finished. AFTER the people of God were permitted to return to Jerusalem and Israel. The question is why did they want to stay and not return to Jerusalem, to the promised land? We could all probably come up with some reasons. 

And so with this context, the story of Esther is intriguing.  Why is this book necessary? Yes, some say it is to provide authority for the Feast of Purim and probably that is part of it.  And why is there NO mention of God's name anywhere in the book? It's striking in a religious book about God, that Esther never mentions God. In fact, it doesn't even mention praying. Or temple. The closest it gets to religious talk by the Jews is "fasting" and putting on sackcloth and ashes. There is probably more evidence that Haman consulted his gods in the throwing of the Lot than by all of the so-called religious people of God. 

And so to read the book is fascinating. It has a delightfully funny black comedy aspect to it. It has twists and plots and is very cleverly written. 

Some would read the book and think coincidence. Others would read the same facts and think "the fingerprints of God". 

I wonder what you would see?  Or not see.  

I wonder if you can pick up the underlying message of the book of Esther. Or not.
Best.Korea
Debates: 274
Best.Korea
-->
@Tradesecret
It's a philosophical argument. So, it's probably a little bit tough for your brain. 
Yes.

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
Okay, I guess I too should present some proof for and against God.

For:
P1. If there was clear proof that God exists, most people would believe in God
P2. Most people believe in God
C. There is clear proof that God exists.

Against:
P1. If there was perfect being, everything would be perfect
P2. Everything is not perfect.
C. There is no perfect being.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Tradesecret
Philosophical arguments are simply that.

10 days later

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@zedvictor4
All arguments are philosophical on one level or another.  

And a philosophical argument is as good as another. 

27 days later

Eliyahu
Eliyahu
-->
@FLRW
"Child mortality rates were very high throughout most of human history.
As recently as two centuries ago, around 1 in 2 children died before reaching the end of puberty. Researchers made this observation across many societies. Our ancestors were largely powerless against poverty, famine, and disease, and these calamities were especially devastating for children.

Doesn't poor design show that there is no God?"

Not necessarily, at best this could either tells us that god is evil, or not omnipotent.This is known as the problem of evil.And for the poor design part, what are your thought on the universe, I'm asking this because of the small chances our universe is the way it is and not simply collapse or something like that, is it still poor design or something else?

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Eliyahu
You also have to assume that a creator deity loves parasites, since there are three times as many parasites as free living species. Also, the creator deity just loves making children get sick and die. Prior to modern medicine and sewage, only 50% of people survived to adulthood.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Eliyahu
Considering the billions of planets in our galaxy, and the billions of galaxies in the observable universe , you can see why intelligent life only formed on one planet
due to random interactions. Life developed accidentally.

Cougarbear121212
Cougarbear121212
-->
@FLRW
So, you would have to first define what you mean by "God" to make any conclusion. There is a lot more as well. If there is a God, to answer this question we alson would need to know what God's plan is and how we fit into this. Not only that, we would need to know way more about God as well. We would need to know way more about our existence and make up too. So, what is the make up of your God to conclude this?
Cougarbear121212
Cougarbear121212
-->
@FLRW
Did it? If there is a God with a specific Plan, and we are included in this Plan, would our planet still be considered an accident?
Cougarbear121212
Cougarbear121212
-->
@FLRW
Do you believe that the make up of God requires a thirst for the death of children? Where do you get this from? Again, what is God's Plan for us? Do tell us? Maybe life and death are to exist together for a purpose. Maybe God let's us decide for ourselves our destiny for the most part. And, what is our eternal outcome? Maybe it's to be resurrected and evolve into what Jesus Christ said, "Did I not say to you that ye are gods? And, children of the most High God?"

44 days later

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Best.Korea
Perhaps it's not the best argument but it is a helpful one. 

If God doesn't exist, then life doesn't exist. Life exists, therefore God exists.

This is a typical if not p then q. But if q is not true then neither is p. 

I suppose someone might raise the side issue that life might arise some other way.  That actually doesn't negate this law of logic. 

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Tradesecret

It's actually, If an atom doesn't exist, then life doesn't exist. Life exists, therefore atoms exist.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
What was there before atoms?

For just a few microseconds, the entire universe was made of the stuff. It was a special kind of plasma, composed of deconfined quarks and gluons: tiny particles that, when they finally spread out enough to cool down, would become the building blocks of atoms.

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Greyparrot

So you are saying God did it?
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Greyparrot
Hey, Greyparrot, it's a surprise to see you here. 

Are you missing IWRA by any chance? Lol. 
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@IlDiavolo

I think she is stalking me.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@IlDiavolo
Yeah, his replacement isn't nearly as classy.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Best.Korea

The most simple reason why somebody might not believe in a god is that he or she doesn't see any persuasive reason or evidence to believe. They don't feel the need to believe in a god to explain the world around them. Nor do they believe a god is necessary for human beings to lead good, happy, and meaningful lives.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@FLRW
I think she is stalking me.
She? 
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@IlDiavolo

C'mon Man !
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@FLRW
There may be a similar argument with Atoms.  I don't know. 

I am simply using this particular formula and I thought it was worth popping it in here to consider. Of course if no one agrees that it is worth discussing, it's no skin off my nose. 

11 days later

Hero_In_Instatute
Debates: 11
Hero_In_Instatute
oh god, not this fool brotherd again

21 days later

MAV99
MAV99
-->
@Best.Korea
He is the only logical conclusion to the ultimate question. Why?
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@MAV99
Yes.
MAV99
MAV99
-->
@Best.Korea
Atheism does just does not answer that question.