EMOTION = Private Axioms

Author: 3RU7AL

Total: 79
Plisken
Debates: 0
Plisken
-->
@3RU7AL
It's hard to believe you could be taught if you aren't willing to learn.

But, through God all things are possible.  Mopac would have to speak for himself, naturally.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Plisken
It's hard to believe you could be taught if you aren't willing to learn.
What exactly am I supposed to learn from a "teacher" that I can't see or hear?

How is an undetectable "teacher" distinguishable from no "teacher" at all?
Plisken
Plisken
-->
@3RU7AL
I am referring to your language, and your preacher, since you refuse to acknowledge a teacher, might end up giving you a paddle on the rump.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@3RU7AL
But a parent doesn't naturally stand by and watch their child play in traffic.

So you think it's ok to indoctrinate kids that it's wrong to play on a busy road?  you may not play on roads yourself, but you have no right to impose your anti-roadplayism on kids.  It's child abuse to impose anti-roadplayism or roadplayism on kids.   I gave my 3 yr old the facts and statistics on road deaths and allowed him to make his own fully informed decision.   I don't know if it worked becuse he died after sticking his finger in a wall socket despite having had the possibly damaging effects of electricity explained to him at length.  As I told my  wife, if he couldn't grasp the basics of  electrical engineering at 2 and a half, it was probable he wasn't meant to survive.

Indoctrinating kids is wrong. 

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
So you think it's ok to indoctrinate kids that it's wrong to play on a busy road?  you may not play on roads yourself, but you have no right to impose your anti-roadplayism on kids.  It's child abuse to impose anti-roadplayism or roadplayism on kids.   I gave my 3 yr old the facts and statistics on road deaths and allowed him to make his own fully informed decision.   I don't know if it worked becuse he died after sticking his finger in a wall socket despite having had the possibly damaging effects of electricity explained to him at length.  As I told my  wife, if he couldn't grasp the basics of  electrical engineering at 2 and a half, it was probable he wasn't meant to survive.

Indoctrinating kids is wrong.  
Zoiks.  Indoctrinating two year olds is nearly impossible.

Physical barriers and constant supervision are probably more effective at that stage.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Plisken
I am referring to your language, and your preacher, since you refuse to acknowledge a teacher, might end up giving you a paddle on the rump.
Ah, ok.

So if I follow the laws of Leviticus, I will never suffer misfortune?

Sign me up!!  Kosher all the way baby!!!
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@3RU7AL
A skit fortunately, but the serious point is that if a parent believes in souls and gods etc, shouldn't they indoctrinate their kid so their soul will be safe?   Possibly a digression, I admit!

Plisken
Plisken
-->
@3RU7AL
No, you are going to pay taxes, and in all likelihood, die.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Plisken
No, you are going to pay taxes, and in all likelihood, die.
So, what's my incentive?
Plisken
Plisken
-->
@3RU7AL
There is no incentive.  
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Plisken
Because they take it as such a big joke, they never actually come to any deep understanding. They are content to play the part of the mocker and scoffer.

But in trusting in their own wisdom, they have been made into fools. Not realizing that the foolishness of God is greater than all of man's wisdom. In their haughtiness, they deny truth itself. God gives grace to the humble, to the charitable. Resists the proud and haughty.

And so without even knowing, they war against truth itself. It is fitting that they should be made fools. To the glory of God.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
In their haughtiness, they deny truth itself.
We aren't haughty - we don't deny 'truth irself'; we only deny that God='ultimate Truth', largely because 'Ultimate Truth' is a high-falutin' phrase that could mean anything and so doesn't mean anything.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
Either way, God is still directing your steps.
If gods are directing my steps regardless, what difference does it make if I "believe" or not?

Apparently "belief" does nothing to protect me from misfortune.

So I'm left wondering why you or I or anyone else might give a rip?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
Ultimate Truth is meaningless.

You said it.

It means exactly what it means, not "anything".

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
I am not talking about gods.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
Either way, gods are still directing your steps.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
I think you forgot the analogy I was making.

I was comparing God directing your steps to a parent keeping their kid from drinking the dish soap.

There comes a point when, you being the child, will have to have faith in your parent in order to learn from them with intent. Otherwise, you are going to grow and make a whole bunch of mistakes that you could have avoided by having faith in your parents.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
I think you forgot the analogy I was making.
I was comparing God directing your steps to a parent keeping their kid from drinking the dish soap.
There comes a point when, you being the child, will have to have faith in your parent in order to learn from them with intent. Otherwise, you are going to grow and make a whole bunch of mistakes that you could have avoided by having faith in your parents.
I think I'm all set.

The gods directed me to http://www.robertlustig.com/4cs/ - no membership fees or argumentum ad baculums.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
Believe what you want to believe.

I care about what is true.